• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the one who said it, but I think sexualizing animals is disgusting. I think your avatar is disgusting. Before you say it's not sexualizing, I see no reason why a cartoon dog should have rippling bodybuilder muscles.

Oh no, it's totally sexualized, but frankly I never considered it or even thought about it as an issue. I picked an artist who's style I like, gave her a description of what I wanted and a reference sheet (which was not sexualized) and she went to work. I don't really see what the issue is, you say "why should a cartoon dog be ripped?" and I say "what shouldn't it be?".

Back on topic, I've did some more research on the Irish conflict and I have a better understanding on how this could be an issue.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
America had a bit to do with it too, you know.
Hey when they don't? =P But it wasn't on their soil. It didn't affect the lives of American people very much.
The Troubles were worldwide news back in the day. We had a movie with Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford about it. Just a lot of young people on here. Anyone 30+ in the US who is even slightly informed knows about it.
Ah fair enough. I've just had the impression that average American doesn't follow much foreign events or know about foreign history (tbf, neither do I). This ofcourse could be a misconception on my part based on a stereotype.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Troubles were worldwide news back in the day. We had a movie with Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford about it. Just a lot of young people on here. Anyone 30+ in the US who is even slightly informed knows about it.

Don't remind me with how bad Brad Pitts accent was :P

For anyone else from Northern Ireland they'll probably remember adverts like this we used to see back in the day:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey when they don't? =P But it wasn't on their soil. It didn't affect the lives of American people very much.
Ah fair enough. I've just had the impression that average American doesn't follow much foreign events or know about foreign history. This ofcourse could be a misconception on my part based on a stereotype.
It's a relatively accurate stereotype that Americans don't know much about foreign events but there are exceptions where there are globally important events that get a lot of coverage. The Troubles are one of those.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It also affected enough people to make them want to provide funding for various entities in the conflict.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Wow, I'm American and even I know the IRA and why this would be problematic if not a downright threat of violence. The last thing the world needs is the IRA.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was way to young to know about it, and they unfortunately don't teach us jack here.

Been trying to find some good books about it though.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Thinking it's some kind of IRA support group?

This would probably be religiously motivated/hate crime

When the painting is directed at no one directly, in anyway.... How is it hate speech?

We already had a person win in court for a speech at a commeration.

Suppression of alternative positions in Northern Irish politics.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's sad that with the recent thread of "man cementing head into microwave" when i first read this thread title I automatically assumed some young youtuber put an actual rocket launcher in a snowman.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
That's bad ass as fuck. I see no issue with it. Better than graffiti or nothing at all.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Oh god I feel so fucked up for laughing now I'm so sorry. I should have read more into the story first then to just laugh at a picture of snowman with a rocket launcher. Thought it was a joke at first but after reading the article clearly it's not *smacks forehead*

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
"huh"
*reads OP up to 'republican'*
"odd"
*reads OP up to 'Irish republican'*
"Come on, OP!"

Glad to see you've been brought up to speed since then. I'm not sure if arrest is necessarily the right law enforcement approach, but what they did sure as shit wasn't cool.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not Catholic, Irish nor protestant and I can see why this would be offensive and why the dude got locked up.

Everyone who thinks it's just free speech needs to wake up a bit and stop being so niave

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks to your inability to deal with the alt-right, these morons are now infecting the rest of the western world...maybe further...
Also you're shaming a dude because he serializes cartoon animals. It's not cool to do that and it's not cool that you're making somebody defend a furry. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, it's just that this board's mantra is being inclusive to people who don't harm other people.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Member warned for saying groups of members should be banned
Also you're shaming a dude because he serializes cartoon animals. It's not cool to do that and it's not cool that you're making somebody defend a furry. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, it's just that this board's mantra is being inclusive to people who don't harm other people.

I haven't made any anti-furry comments?

But furries do need to banned. Not as bad as Bronies though.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's an unhealthy obsession.

Buy a bike, hit the gym and meet some real girls.

Iron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Northern Ireland, they have overbearing speech laws for very practical reasons including not wanting the country to be on fire.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's an unhealthy obsession.

Buy a bike, hit the gym and meet some real girls.

It's hobby, I can do both. Furry is spectrum, some take it too far, most don't. Most of the time I live a fairly normal life. A few times a year I go to cons and meet ups and make new friends from around the world. And I'd be more interested in meeting guys :)

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you guys are mixing me up with some other poster?

My comments were purely about the actual story posted.

I was then asked for my opinion on furries?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When read the thread title I was under the impression that someone gave a snowman a real live rocket launcher and not for a drawn image.

Do some of you kids just not understand what happened in Northern Ireland?

I kinda do, but I was young and didn't really understand what exactly was going on.

Been changing that with self research.

Chekhonte

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think you guys are mixing me up with some other poster?

My comments were purely about the actual story posted.

I was then asked for my opinion on furries?
You're the one with an avatar of Meowth with a furry penis coming up to his mouth. I'm surprised you aren't more sympathetic.

Chekhonte

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He's actually giving you a pre-emptive middle finger!
Sure thing bud. I bet your name in the community is Clifford the Big Red Lipstick.

eRhxJa7.jpg

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

That's okay. I think a lot of posters have now learned about the Troubles. I'm just posting here to point out that there is nothing in this article about an arrest. He's probably just been summonsed, as this doesn't look like an arrestable offence.

I looked up the relevant legislation, and it appears to be section 19(1)(c) here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1987/463/part/IV/data.xht?view=snippet&wrap=true

The person charged would be the owner of the property. Presumably the two counts are the image and the greeting.

Another section on the same page bans the public wearing of "uniform signifying his association with any political organisation or with the promotion of any political object s" unless they have special permission. Yes, this is Ulster. Wearing a beret is illegal.