1. TheCrackedJack

TheCrackedJack
    Member OP

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/11/middleeast/saudi-arabia-breakfast-arrest-intl/index.html
    It seems situations like this can carry up to 5 years in prison from reading over the article. The woman is also reported to be arrested. Hopefully this get's enough attention to make them consider any type of charges, but I doubt they will be swayed by outside opinion. But, I hope they are both able to get out of this awful situation.

2. StraySheep

StraySheep

Man, they really invite their reputation.

3. Maneil99

Maneil99

Truly a great nation

4. Maybe Mike Pence was right.

5. I'm with Canada

6. Oh.

7. Tagyhag

Tagyhag

Why do a lot of people still want to visit Saudi Arabia? Are these laws only active for their citizens?

8. Englebert3rd

Englebert3rd

Disgusting government.

9. Doctor_Thomas

Doctor_Thomas

Saudi Arabia is a horrible place. Literally don't do anything.

10. Jubbe

Jubbe

My understanding is that they don't really have a codified legal system and instead they rely on judge's literal interpretations of the Quran when determining charges and punishments. It is beyond fucked.

11. iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Ladies and Gentlemen, one of the best "buddies" and closest allies of the USA.

12. StraySheep

StraySheep

Like, I know we probably shouldn't be intervening in Middle East affairs anymore but it seems crazy that the world just lets this happen.

13. Heromanz

Heromanz

Irrc money trump everything there

14. HazySaiyan

HazySaiyan

What a stupid fucking country

15. Cugel

Cugel

Medieval barbarians

16. tulpa

tulpa

Because it's the location of the holiest site in the Islamic faith, where it is seen as a mandatory religious duty for people who practice that faith to make a pilgrimage to at least once in their life? Maybe that has something to do with it...

17. Still in the running for the worst country on earth award, congrats

18. But mainstream western media told me things were going to be great with the new prince, he is a reformer!

19. CanUKlehead

CanUKlehead

I'm assuming he meant like a holiday destination?

A lot of my friends like visiting Dubai, though.

20. Ja-

Ja-

The arrested man is egyptian.

21. TheEnd

TheEnd

Lmao.

22. Minatozaki Sana

Minatozaki Sana
    Banned Member

• User Banned (Permanent): Islamophobia.
    They forgoed any form of logic or reason just to follow outdated teachings from the seventh century. I feel sad for these mindless barbarians. Europe needs to curb Islam before this sick ideology spreads there.

23. Tagyhag

Tagyhag

I should clarify that I mean non-Muslims or those who just want to go for a holiday.

Obviously the pilgrimage makes sense.

Well shit.

24. Visanideth

Visanideth

They have an inordinate amount of cash and despite the issues with their culture they're businessmen.

25. HyperFerret

HyperFerret

I'm baffled how a country functions when something like this is considered offensive.

26. That escalated quickly.

27. Absolutely horrendous.

28. Wackamole

Wackamole

How's the woman though? Still alive?
    I will never visit that country. There is nothing humane about it.

29. signal

signal

but the country looked kool in this viral tweet

30. tulpa

tulpa

I don't understand why so many people on this board express support, admiration and even in some cases love for Western politicians who have spent their entire career in power either sucking up to or directly supporting and making cover for the Saudi government and the hideous way it behaves.

31. Persephone

Persephone

Tell us how you really feel.

32. Achire

Achire

Wahhabism at work. I don't understand people who visit these totalitarian shitholes in the Middle-East.

33. ReginaldXIV

ReginaldXIV

This is a bananas post. This has more to do with men in power using Islam as a tool to keep those without power beneath them than the religion itself. There are millions of western Muslims that actively practice the faith and don't condone the culture in some of the Middle Eastern countries.

34. Shugga

Shugga

I'm surprised the woman wasn't jailed and tortured

35. He'll walk.

36. nampad

nampad

Not the USA but the west.

37. Baroque

Baroque

I uhh, they arrested the man? Don't they usually arrest the women?

[​IMG]

38. siddx

siddx
    Banned Member

She was arrested as well.

They aren't fond of Egyptians in the gulf. He will only walk if he has the wasta (influence and connections) to get out of trouble.

39. Typhon

Typhon

Dubai is in the UAE which isn't any better.

40. CastorKrieg

CastorKrieg

The country itself is a fascinating social construct - when I was in Dubai discussing the region's economy I learned you effectively need to duplicate all the posts in e.g. store in the shopping malls, since they are divided and e.g. male supervisor cannot go and check on the employees in the section for women.

They also mentioned how surprisingly Saudi Arabia is the only country in the region with poverty among the nationals.

41. Thunder

Thunder

Most people go there for business , but they have gated communities where they stay with their families and get driven around. I've got a few family members that have been there for a few years , they don't seem to care much for foreigners aslong as they don't stray to far from their communities or work places

42. smh

43. Kaguya

Kaguya

Dubai still has a long way to go but saying it isn't any better compared to KSA which just this year allowed women to drive and is arresting someone for eating breakfast with women is just wrong.

44. entrydenied

entrydenied

I think he should be exported there as a tribute of some kind. America's best specimen, well trained to fit right into the culture.

45. Asmar

Asmar

YOU SHOULD NOT ever! the situation is shit in the middle east, true. But the change must come from the inside.

46. tulpa

tulpa

Yes. The most important thing that countries in "the West" (a somewhat problematic but still accepted nomenclature, so there you have it) can do is to stop providing direct material support for governments that engage in this stuff and mind their own business. The US is already intervening: supporting the Saudi government is a form of intervention.

47. Kaguya

Kaguya

Everyone who can should intervene, with proper methods though, like political and maybe mild economic pressure, calls from respected organizations, etc... Or at the least stop supporting those governments.
    Not full out wars or things things that would just make it even worse for those living here.

48. Westbahnhof

Westbahnhof

Well, kinda. But I still feel that some outside pressure can be a huge agent for change. Especially when the change coming from inside is hardly sufficient.
    If people from the outside just went "Let's wait for them to do the right thing", who knows when women in the Canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden would have gotten their right to vote. Just an an example. And like others said, "intervention" comes in many forms. Not all are aggressive.

49. Septic

Septic

Oh man this looks amazing. I can't wait to go do Hajj soon. IA!

50. nismopower

nismopower