• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sick of this evil fucking regime destroying lives with impunity. Wish it were possible to depose and imprison every power abusing asshole.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt the story is real.

News coming out of North Korea is unreliable at best (remember those stories that Kim died like 3 times during the pandemic?) , and there's a lot of politically motivated elements wanting to paint North Korea in the worst possible light.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
...didn't they just praise Squid Game for portraying South Korea as corrupt, decadent capitalist society?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Not sure if this one is real.

...didn't they just praise Squid Game for portraying South Korea as corrupt, decadent capitalist society?
But at the same time the punishment for sneaking in foreign media has always been pretty harsh, I think. I saw a documentary like 10 or 15 years ago that mentioned this situation.

Even though this can happen I'm feeling like this specific example is fake

OP
OP
lazerface

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020

News coming out of North Korea is unreliable at best (remember those stories that Kim died like 3 times during the pandemic?) , and there's a lot of politically motivated elements wanting to paint North Korea in the worst possible light.

This sounds fake as hell? Like "Kim Jong Un is dead" levels of fake.
Tons of outlets are reporting this, but I guess it could be bullshit.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

Yup. I'm not one of those hyper-tankie types that thinks North Korea is a secretly a good place or whatever but this stuff should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Boots Riley came out of Twitter retirement to comment on this which is how I first heard about it. I'll post the thread below:

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Like, how do we even find out about this stuff?

"U.S.-headquartered independent news agency RFA reported, quoting sources...."

Huh?

Oct 27, 2017
Tons of outlets are reporting this, but I guess it could be bullshit.

Searching the story on Google, all the articles I could find only reference Radio Free Asia, which apparently got their info from "an unnamed source". There doesn't seem to be any corroborating reports. So yeah, I'm leaning towards fake news in this case.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt this story is real...apparently the original source is a propaganda outlet that releases fake news stories about North Korea all the time.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
If another source corroborates then make the thread.

EDIT: It should be noted though, that ANY stories coming out of North Korea will have anonymous sources due to the government and how they treat things like freedom of the press.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.