• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Commentators have been speculating about the death of the lower leagues and the continued issues with lower-league clubs going into administration like Bury has and like Bolton Wanderers almost did precisely because of this concentration of capital, talent, and interest at the top. Part of that is because these global clubs are just playing on a totally different level than poor Bury or Leyton Orient or whatever smaller club you can think of.

On this note specifically, the EFL let down those clubs horribly. There were viable bids in place to save those clubs that were not allwoed to take place.

It seems having an ex tennis player as the head of the EFL is maybe not the best thing for it.

Oct 25, 2017
On this note specifically, the EFL let down those clubs horribly. There were viable bids in place to save those clubs that were not allwoed to take place.

It seems having an ex tennis player as the head of the EFL is maybe not the best thing for it.

I have beef with the EFL on a personal level because it is horrible at highlighting the best games in each league - this week, when Leeds/Brentford happened, the EFL sent us Americans Swansea/QPR as the only game to watch from that day.

Which is to say that I'm not surprised that an organization that can't get something as simple as "send our international fans live footage of a key game in one of the most competitive leagues in the world" right, I'm not surprised to find that they also can't get it right when vetting and approving owners who can save local clubs that are in financial trouble.

I do note though, that even things like Sheffield Wednesday getting popped for financial violations is only happening because of how lucrative the PL is. Teams are spending themselves into trouble to get there.

The other issue is that if you go straight up and back down, you only get two years of parachute payments, and if you bought a ton of new players to try to make a run at seventeenth or better, you end up in a whole lot of financial trouble. It feels to me like the financial realities of these top football leagues becoming worldwide viewing appointments is changing things in a significant way even beyond inept EFL leadership.

Oct 27, 2017
The EFL are a joke. All 3 divisions will be littered with asterisk's by the time the seasons done.

The issues smaller clubs are facing is a symptom of the current money driven state of the game, and it requires action - not being left to rot because the elite don't care. The idea of using the death of community clubs like Bury to justify even more exclusiveness and isolation at the top is disgusting.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I have beef with the EFL on a personal level because it is horrible at highlighting the best games in each league - this week, when Leeds/Brentford happened, the EFL sent us Americans Swansea/QPR as the only game to watch.

Which is to say that I'm not surprised that an organization that can't get something as simple as "send our international fans live footage of a key game in one of the most competitive leagues in the world" right, I'm not surprised to find that they also can't get it right when vetting and approving owners who can save local clubs that are in financial trouble.

I do note though, that even things like Sheffield Wednesday getting popped for financial violations is only happening because of how lucrative the PL is. Teams are spending themselves into trouble to get there.

The other issue is that if you go straight up and back down, you only get two years of parachute payments, and if you bought a ton of new players to try to make a run at seventeenth or better, you end up in a whole lot of financial trouble. It feels to me like the financial realities of these top football leagues becoming worldwide viewing appointments is changing things in a significant way even beyond inept EFL leadership.
I'm not sure who picks what games go where. All of the gamer have cameras and production on (it's literally what i do for a living in the building im in right now lol).

Jan 10, 2018
This is one of those awful posts/opinions that manages to reduce everything great about sport and following a team, down to winning one of two competitions or being exclusively the best at everything.

"Fans care about the national league and Champions League". What nonsense. Maybe those who arbitrarily pick one of the top teams to support based on nothing more than the likelihood of winning. But with all due respect.. fuck them.

You read my post and understood the complete opposite of what I was saying. I blame myself. I agree with you, winning the national league or champions league is not everything. But winning those matters more than a new money cup with zero prestige for the super rich clubs. I agree with you and somehow managed to anger you with that. Sorry for that.
This is a great post, and I totally understand what you mean. Like I said, though, I don't think a club like Man United, which has thousands of American and Chinese and South American fans, cares quite as much about tradition as you do. I think they care more about monetizing those worldwide supporters as much as possible.

Commentators have been speculating about the death of the lower leagues and the continued issues with lower-league clubs going into administration like Bury has and like Bolton Wanderers almost did precisely because of this concentration of capital, talent, and interest at the top. Part of that is because these global clubs are just playing on a totally different level than poor Bury or Leyton Orient or whatever smaller club you can think of.

I think that you're right that the soul of the domestic game relies on local rivalries and local participation, but I don't know if the bigger clubs care about saving the soul of football in their countries as much as they care about money, money, and more money, and the monetization of their global following.

No, it's just that you don't like my words because it threatens your tradition. I feel you on that, but you making false analogies doesn't do much to change reality.

Maybe you're right. We'll see.

Not sure why I bother, but that "tradition" is now. I'm sure all the chinese fans the european teams play for will instantly be all over the new money cup, but till than we gotta wait.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of using the death of community clubs like Bury to justify even more exclusiveness and isolation at the top is disgusting.

100% agreed, but I think that the ownership of big clubs really don't give a shit about Bury even though they could have saved that club if they really wanted to. I think the PL should set aside a percentage of money from their new TV deals all over the globe specifically to save clubs in danger of going into administration.

I don't think they'll do anything of the sort, though, because I think they see a chance to get an exclusive pot of money available only to them because of their positions.

In conclusion, sorry, but American ideas are ruining shit again in the rest of the world, this time in sport(s). :(

Oct 27, 2017
You read my post and understood the complete opposite of what I was saying. I blame myself. I agree with you, winning the national league or champions league is not everything. But winning those matters more than a new money cup with zero prestige for the super rich clubs. I agree with you and somehow managed to anger you with that. Sorry for that.

No apology necessary. It's an emotive subject for people. As a fan of a non-Premier League team I'm probably far too over sensitive about it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That's such a shame.

tenor.gif

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
sheffield just got promoted, if they keep this up (big if) they could be in the CL. pretty nice story

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha but it's never going to happen, a nice secret donation 'bribe' and a word will sort it out after the headlines have passed like always.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's interesting how many football fans in this thread are cynical that City will face any real punishment. If this shit is as rigged as a lot of people in here think why do you support it?!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
What are we supposed to do? Stop supporting our clubs because UEFA/FIFA/City etc. are corrupt?

If enough people voiced their opinions to their clubs, they would have to do something. I dunno I just find it depressing that everyone is so overtly cynical and yet no one thinks anything is gonna change.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting how many football fans in this thread are cynical that City will face any real punishment. If this shit is as rigged as a lot of people in here think why do you support it?!
We think they won't really face that punishment becase they will sue the shit out of anyone and everyone and have th emoney to do it for a decade. Something they have famously said they are happy to do.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Don't expect anything from football fans.
The biggest star is a rapist and tax evader.
Meanwhile the whistleblower responsible for this rots in a Portuguese prison.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
City are a horrible club and this should have happened long ago.
Sadly they'll bribe their way out of the punishment and be in the champions league next season so it's all pointless.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What we need is the leaked e-mails for how FFP was constructed to specifically thwart us. Then release them and see the ****s in court for damages - it'll tear football a new arsehole. Can't see it happening though, we seem naïve at these games with UEFA.

repost from a fansite lol

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Lmao hope this sticks. Most city fans i see online think there is a grand conspiracy against them anyway. This will only help the matter.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Holy shit, hope the ban sticks.

for what? Spending money to compete lol!

the stupid rules only came into play because the old guard clubs were crying other clubs were spending money to compete with them.

them same clubs didn't care when they were breaking transfer records and buying up all the best players while making their rivals weaker. If it weren't for rich owners investing in their clubs the EPL would have been a boring one horse race And nobody would care about PSG and Monico competing.

how would the premier league be better if Chelsea and city had zero investment? the glazers would have spent even less money In united after the takeover and the league would have become stale.

FFP has shown just how bent ufea and fifa really are.

people upset they broke FFP are forgetting the rules only came about because clubs like United were crying in the first place. United have spent more than city in the last 5 years and are a joke.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't follow soccer so my opinion is basically useless but that's really harsh. Maybe I'm just juxtaposing it to how poorly the MLB is handling its current scandals.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

the stupid rules only came into play because the old guard clubs were crying other clubs were spending money to compete with them.

them same clubs didn't care when they were breaking transfer records and buying up all the best players while making their rivals weaker. If it weren't for rich owners investing in their clubs the EPL would have been a boring one horse race And nobody would care about PSG and Monico competing.

how would the premier league be better if Chelsea and city had zero investment? the glazers would have spent even less money In united after the takeover and the league would have become stale.

people upset they broke FFP are forgetting the rules only came about because clubs like United were crying in the first place. United have spent more than city in the last 5 years and are a joke.
Your second paragraph should say "spending sugar daddies money".

www.independent.co.uk

How football became broken beyond repair

The game is going through an unprecedented period of financial and competitive imbalance. Miguel Delaney investigates how we got here and – crucially – whether the dominance of the mega-rich is here to stay

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Where did the money United spent come from?

Also funny that even when United literally have nothing to do with whats happened, they still get brought up.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Screw that over-hyped over-paid Raheem Sterling. He left Liverpool on bad terms because they wouldn't pay him 3x what he was worth, and now his former club are the European champions and 22 points clear, and City may be exiled.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Where did the money United spent come from?

Also funny that even when United literally have nothing to do with whats happened, they still get brought up.

they have everything to do with it. You think FFP just randomly came about? Old guard clubs lobbying for it made it happen. Where was David gills next job again?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
they have everything to do with it. You think FFP just randomly came about? Old guard clubs lobbying for it made it happen. Where was David gills next job again?
So surely Liverpool, Arsenal, Madrid, Barca also had shit to do with it too and yet its only United that get a shout out.

The rules have been in place for nearly a decade and everyone else seems to be able to adhere to them or flout them without being outright twats about it. City demonstrably worked to make it look like nothing was happening and lied when asked about it previously.

Jul 19, 2018
So surely Liverpool, Arsenal, Madrid, Barca also had shit to do with it too and yet its only United that get a shout out.

The rules have been in place for nearly a decade and everyone else seems to be able to adhere to them or flout them without being outright twats about it. City demonstrably worked to make it look like nothing was happening and lied when asked about it previously.

Yep. Fuck City.

'
The club's inhouse lawyer Simon Cliff wrote in one of the published emails that Mubarak had told Gianni Infantino, then Uefa's general secretary, that he would not accept a financial sanction for exceeding the permitted €45m loss in 2012 and 2013, and said: "He would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue [Uefa] for the next 10 years."

In 2014, the IC determined that City had a deficit of €180m over that two year period, vastly in excess of the €45m permitted, and in May that year agreed a settlement which some at Uefa believed was too lenient. A day before that, the former chair of the IC, Jean-Luc Dehaene, a distinguished former prime minister of Belgium and senior European Union politician, died aged 73, survived by his wife of 49 years and their four children. Spiegel quoted Cliff's reaction to this news in an internal email, referring to the membership of the IC: "1 down, 6 to go."

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Infantino is a corrupt fuck so I remain unconvinced this will stick.

I've often thought Man City are probably even more in the red with regards to wages, must be some clever/dodgy accounting there.

Those leaked email snippets are shocking, the death of the UEFA official, no soul, pure scum.

Last edited: