• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, my nerd ass thought you were talking about the Quantum Mechanics/Electrodynamics guy, and I was gonna have to hard disagree.

Though yes, fuck Griffith from Berserk.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, my nerd ass thought you were talking about the Quantum Mechanics/Electrodynamics guy, and I was gonna have to hard disagree.

Though yes, fuck Griffith from Berserk.
David Griffiths? That would probably have been a funny thread to read, through if i don't see any reason why people would hate him.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
David Griffiths? That would probably have been a funny thread to read, through if i don't see any reason why people would hate him.
They don't like his semi-modern rather than classical approach to quantum mechanics maybe?

Anywho I'm off topic, lol

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HzbB7rH.jpg

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I mean from his point of view I can see how he would think something so fucked up is alright, "you nerds would willingly die for me on the field of battle, so die for me now!" but still shit is mega fucked.

Also fuck Ryo.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean from his point of view I can see how he would think something so fucked up is alright, "you nerds would willingly die for me on the field of battle, so die for me now!" but still shit is mega fucked.

And I don't even think that that's really his reason so much as a justification. It's no coincidence that Griffith makes the decision the moment Guts is about to reach him on the altar (after warning him off several times in his mind). I think the tragedy of it is that the decision was an attempt to escape some kind of vulnerability that his whole character is constituted to find to be intolerable. It also gives more significance to the decision to become something inhuman, because Griffith broke under the weight of his humanity.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I wish in the end he gets worse fate than death, idk maybe he lives but turned back to his original broken body. But really, I hope Guts guts him (haha :p )

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I didn't know what this show was before this thread but that was pretty great. Felt like I understood a lot even without any context. Music is amazing too. Really adds a lot.
if you have Netflix, all three Golden Age Arc movies are on there (at least last I checked)

the latest TV show isn't very good (Berserk 2016-17), but the 90's show was decent

the manga is really really good, the art is outstanding

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I never cared about the manga or what happened after the plot of the original series. It felt like a great little story on its own that understood what it was.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Just you wait until the end and it goes full Naruto with Gutz saying he was a great guy after teaming up with him for five minutes to take out whatever bigger bad comes along.
lol

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but post-eclipse look at how much good Griffith has done for the world. Guts would be wrong to stop that for just petty revenge.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but post-eclipse look at how much good Griffith has done for the world. Guts would be wrong to stop that for just petty revenge.
...made sure to render the entire world pretty much unlivable for humans except for one specific spot in which he has entire control over while also doing a pr blast?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I got older, my opinion on Griffith has changed drastically. I see him as a much less complex character than I used to. More or less, he's a sociopath charlatan fraud who is only good at manipulation. All his great plans that got him where he is today were all absolute campaign-ending disasters that were only salvaged by the extreme heroism, cunning, and bravery of Guts acting in insubordinate defiance of his commands.

Remember when Griffth tried to kill Guts when he left him and broke down afterwards?

When I was young, I thought it was because Griffith always believed that he had no friends because he thought only someone who is his equal or better could be his friend. So when Guts beat him, he had made Griffith realize that Guts was his only friend, and when he walked away, he felt abandoned, rejected, and isolated. I've abandoned this interpretation.

When i got a bit older, I thought it was because Griffith had supreme confidence and had used his manipulation and domination of Guts to bolster his delusions of power and elite greatness, and when Guts beat him, he showed his superiority as a warrior. But, even worse, the fact he showed mercy to Griffith when Griffith was going to kill him showed moral/ethic superiority as well. Thus, feeling inadequate, he goes to test his 'destiny' but doing something reckless and trusting the heart of the cards. I've evolved a bit on this, too.

Now, I think it was because Griffith was smart enough to realize the truth. He knows he's a fraud.. And when Guts left, Griffith pragmatically got scared because he realized that he had lost his crutch, and he feared that now with even greater responsibility he would be exposed as the fraud he is. So, he knew he was good at one thing: manipulation and seduction. And he desperately to reaffirm his talents by doing something absolutely daring, and maybe strengthening his position as a sentimental favorite of the would-be queen. 1 day without Guts, he's captured. The day Guts comes back, he's saved. Griffith knows the truth: he's an absolute charlatan who feels entitled to success but knows that Guts is the real champion who made the Hawks great. Ultimately, he was jealous of Guts and can't accept the truth because of his belief in 'destiny.'

For this reason, I think Griffith never held real affection for Guts. No more than he held affection for Charlotte, Caska, or that count. It was all about manipulation.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
he's being so extremely manipulative for an end-game, there's no doubt about this. Even if not and it's just him living his dreams, the ends do NOT justify the means considering he's the one who brought this forth.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread awhile ago about the trope of forgiving the bad guy, and that would absolutely immediately make me tear all the pages out in rage. There's like three acceptable ways for this to end, and #1 is every cell of Griffith being sliced by the Dragon Slayer.
What do you mean? Griffith did nothing wrong :p

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Imagine Griffith's death being super lowkey and not at all gruesome in the way readers wish it- stripped of his godhood and no longer a member of the Godhand, Griffith becomes demoralized as he is no longer able to pursue his dream. Guts walks up to Griffith and kills him clean in a single swing. The end.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Imagine Griffith's death being super lowkey and not at all gruesome in the way readers wish it- stripped of his godhood and no longer a member of the Godhand, Griffith becomes demoralized as he is no longer able to pursue his dream. Guts walks up to Griffith and kills him clean in a single swing. The end.
*Griffith died from cholera*

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Also I dated a girl who thought Griffith was great

I mean I probably should have reported her to the NSA or something

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Yup, Griffith can piss off into the sun, trash individual. The schadenfreude of seeing Griffith get what is coming to him will be glorious.

Oct 27, 2017
That video perfectly captures the feelings I felt after it was shown.
I feel he might not even be killed by Guts. The best way to get revenge for me personally would be if Guts fought and killed every God Hand member and when he got Griffith he fought him until he turned into the way he was just before the eclipse. Just a weak person who can't do anything living like a piece of shit for the rest of his life.
I forgot this fucker. Griffith was basically inspired by this guy.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Been rereading berserk for some reason and got done with the Resurrection arc. All I gotta say is fuck Griffith. That dude fucking sucks. He's a murderer and rapists. God damn do they make you hate that guy so much. He's a fucking dick to everyone and will sacrifice anything for his dream even if it means killing everyone. Fuck Griffith's. I can't wait 30 years from now when the Miura finally draws guts being the shit out Griffith. It will be the greatest moment of our lives.
little bit of topic, but how do you guys know all the Arc names?
are the mentioned in the mangas in the US?

alwys reading about arcs. that arc was good, that was bad.
I love this or that arc.
seems like in german manga communitys there aren't arcs.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
If it had been Guts trapped in that cell for a year reduced to a corpse he would have taken that shit like a man. He would never rat his comrades out or condemn them to die, which is why he'll always be better than Griffith.

I think the way for Guts to finally end Griffith would be to mentally fuck him up so bad he ends up like Casca, even if Guts dies in the end it would be a lasting revenge.

Last edited:

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
The whole scene was a masterpiece of writing.

I was so disgusted at this part I almost stopped reading the manga all together. I honestly almost cried. This is the one and only time in my life I was this far when reading something.

But at the very same time this whole scene gave both Griffith and Guts so much depth, it's unbelievable. If I wasn't rooting for Guts already before I was rooting for him after - BIG TIME. Also you finally understand why he is as he is and it's believeable. In so many other stories characters are "cool" just got shits and giggles. Here you completely understand it. Because he truly went through some fucked up shit.

Bloody marvelous writing.

Oh, and can I just put it here how much I hate Miura because of how he ended issue 40? haha

Scene gave me goosebumps...

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
As I got older, my opinion on Griffith has changed drastically. I see him as a much less complex character than I used to. More or less, he's a sociopath charlatan fraud who is only good at manipulation. All his great plans that got him where he is today were all absolute campaign-ending disasters that were only salvaged by the extreme heroism, cunning, and bravery of Guts acting in insubordinate defiance of his commands.

Remember when Griffth tried to kill Guts when he left him and broke down afterwards?

When I was young, I thought it was because Griffith always believed that he had no friends because he thought only someone who is his equal or better could be his friend. So when Guts beat him, he had made Griffith realize that Guts was his only friend, and when he walked away, he felt abandoned, rejected, and isolated. I've abandoned this interpretation.

When i got a bit older, I thought it was because Griffith had supreme confidence and had used his manipulation and domination of Guts to bolster his delusions of power and elite greatness, and when Guts beat him, he showed his superiority as a warrior. But, even worse, the fact he showed mercy to Griffith when Griffith was going to kill him showed moral/ethic superiority as well. Thus, feeling inadequate, he goes to test his 'destiny' but doing something reckless and trusting the heart of the cards. I've evolved a bit on this, too.

Now, I think it was because Griffith was smart enough to realize the truth. He knows he's a fraud.. And when Guts left, Griffith pragmatically got scared because he realized that he had lost his crutch, and he feared that now with even greater responsibility he would be exposed as the fraud he is. So, he knew he was good at one thing: manipulation and seduction. And he desperately to reaffirm his talents by doing something absolutely daring, and maybe strengthening his position as a sentimental favorite of the would-be queen. 1 day without Guts, he's captured. The day Guts comes back, he's saved. Griffith knows the truth: he's an absolute charlatan who feels entitled to success but knows that Guts is the real champion who made the Hawks great. Ultimately, he was jealous of Guts and can't accept the truth because of his belief in 'destiny.'

For this reason, I think Griffith never held real affection for Guts. No more than he held affection for Charlotte, Caska, or that count. It was all about manipulation.
Griffith being shook after Guts leaves is one of my favorite parts of the series. Guts actually grew as a person and Griffith self-destructed.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
little bit of topic, but how do you guys know all the Arc names?
are the mentioned in the mangas in the US?

alwys reading about arcs. that arc was good, that was bad.
I love this or that arc.
seems like in german manga communitys there aren't arcs.
Yeah the chapter names tend to be paired with the arc names preceeding it in Berserk. Like "CONVICTION ARC - THE BLACK SWORDSMAN AGAIN" for instance.