• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know why there is always someone that think that Falconia is a net good for the world, its a feeble illusion meant to shatter eventually because Griffith knows deep down he doesnt deserve his dream.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My favorite part is when people argue he was a force for good in the end. Since he set up a paradise for people to live in when the world turned to shit... Which is directly ignoring the part where Griffith caused the world to turn to shit. Seriously fuck Griffith hope his ass burns and he goes back to living in his ruined body. Guy deserves it.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
It's gotten to point where I feel like the only comeuppance Griffith should get is a fate worse than death. Getting depowered, getting killed, the famous shonen "break their dreams don't kill'em" act, or even burning in hell are all way too weak of a punishment for Griffith.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like how this is the ONE thing humanity can agree on as a whole. Fuck Griffith.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
There is no single panel more satisfying in the manga (and I daresay comic) medium than Rickert slapping Griffith.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's kinda silly getting worked up over fictional characters.

But for real, fuck Griffith.
If you don't feel anything then why waste time on media.

Yeah seriously tho fuck Griffith.

The eclipse is pretty much the most shocking thing I have ever seen in any media. Just... too much...

He's like Jesus Christ... only instead of asdending to heaven after dying on the cross he raped and sacrificed all of his followers for the ability to continue preaching.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why there is always someone that think that Falconia is a net good for the world, its a feeble illusion meant to shatter eventually because Griffith knows deep down he doesnt deserve his dream.

It's not even like Falconia is the endgame. Guts said himself that Griffith will never be satisfied with any less than absolute dominion over everything. To that end I wouldn't be surprised if Falconia is just another gathering place for a mass sacrifice like The Eclipse or the Tower of Conviction.

Oct 27, 2017
Hate him with a passion. Probably my most hated antagonist of all time. I hope he gets his in the end. God, I'm getting angry just thinking of that prick.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Y'all here wishing for a guts tearing up Griffith and a fairy tale like ending is going to be disappointed. That type of 'good truimphs bad guy will get punished' isn't what berserk has presented itself to be.

I can see the ending being akin like watchman. Griffith is like ozymandias and guts is like Rorschach.

And you know how that ends.

Nov 17, 2017
HzbB7rH.jpg
Damn that last panel caught me so off guard, I'm rolling.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Griffith being shook after Guts leaves is one of my favorite parts of the series. Guts actually grew as a person and Griffith self-destructed.

Yeah... and he makes a completely boneheaded move that took me years to try to wrap my head around. I honestly think it was because seducing Charlotte was the only thing he did on his own without Guts covering up his massive faults as a commander so he pushed his luck to validate himself. Guts was everything Griffith thought he was destined to be.... he was just an entitled child and the God Hand sought out the despair associated with that EMOTION, not him personally for greatness. The idea that you felt your whole life you were destined to be something great only to realize that someone you look down on like trash is 20x the man you portray yourself as in every way that defines your greatness? For an entitled child like Griffith, those are some volatile ingredients.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but post-eclipse look at how much good Griffith has done for the world. Guts would be wrong to stop that for just petty revenge.
You think Griffith is doing this to make the world a safer place for humans?
Oh boy, I hope you're right, but I'm guessing "Eclipse 2.0"

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Fuck Griffith indeed! Bittersweet ending probably incoming but if Griffith dies horribly, I'll be satisfied.

Never really got to watch the original so I didn't know about the inspiration.
So while watching the series, really hated this character. Reminded me of someone and then it all clicked in the end.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For this reason, I think Griffith never held real affection for Guts. No more than he held affection for Charlotte, Caska, or that count. It was all about manipulation.

This is wrong 'cause its a contradiction with the nature of the sacrifice explained by Slan during the Count ceremony, as well as later actions by Griffith demonstrate he had affection for Guts.

Last edited:

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Griffith is the greatest villain in fiction probably, sexy naked ambition but with lots of pathos. Dude is worthy of some truly biblical hatred

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Time traveler here

The series ends with Guts and Casca forgiving Griffith

8a3.png

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
It's too bad that Donovan guy was killed off, he could have had a redemption arc, maybe even joined Guts. Also while we're talking about it, Berserk has fell off substantially, specifically around the time the fantasy arc or whatever it's called happened.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Been rereading berserk for some reason and got done with the Resurrection arc. All I gotta say is fuck Griffith. That dude fucking sucks. He's a murderer and rapists. God damn do they make you hate that guy so much. He's a fucking dick to everyone and will sacrifice anything for his dream even if it means killing everyone. Fuck Griffith's. I can't wait 30 years from now when the Miura finally draws guts being the shit out Griffith. It will be the greatest moment of our lives.

Damn straight, Fuck Griffith straight to hell
giphy.gif

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Part of me almost feels like he has zero choice in it all, like hes part of some prophecy, but still, yeah. Hes HIGHLY hateable.

In my view, he absolutely without question had a choice. This comes up from time to time as part of the "Griffith did nothing wrong" bit. I'm not sure if you've read the manga or have only seen the anime adaptations, but The Black Swordsman Arc partially exists to show this choice, particularly with the character of The Count. The Berserk manga starts in medias res with this arc and The Golden Age is a flashback that is shown after it. The Count's choice and Griffith's choice are juxtaposed in this way to show how purely terrible and selfish Griffith's decision was.

My biggest gripe with the various adaptations of Berserk is that they all skip this. I get that it makes the Eclipse more shocking to not already know the choice Griffith made, but skipping The Black Swordsman Arc also makes it less clear that he had a choice to begin with.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad that Donovan guy was killed off, he could have had a redemption arc, maybe even joined Guts. Also while we're talking about it, Berserk has fell off substantially, specifically around the time the fantasy arc or whatever it's called happened.
Yeah, I guess the author got old or lost his fire, but after Griffith resurrection, the manga lost a lot of the insane rage dwelling within and became sort of tame with the great adventures of the fellowship of the ring euh the armor.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is wrong 'cause its a contradiction with the nature of the sacrifice explained by Slan during the Count ceremony, as well as later actions by Griffith demonstrate he had affection for Guts.

I disagree, but that's not to say you are wrong, just I have my own interpretation I've developed over the last 20 years. I see that ceremony as Griffith accepting his true nature rather than denying it to be something he's not. "Griffith" was an act. He was always Femto.

Griffith struggled with trying to fit into the mold of what he feels is a normal human in a few brief isolated moments. I think he believed that a person was supposed to feel something about people who cared about him, but he approached the concept of affection as this abstract metaphor while gestating. When he sacrificed his men, did he weep about what he had to do? Hell no. He reveled in the chance to one-up Guts once and for all. (Their first Duel was him 5 minutes after waking up after a days-long coma, after all.)

I think it comes down to two camps: "Griffith is dead and Femto is a new being with no Grtiffith left inside anymore" or "Griffith was always Femto." I'm in the latter camp. I think when Caska gets raped, it wasn't "ooga booga me monster me rape now" it was "Okay, Guts. I knew all about Caska's feelings for me and used it to manipulate her into serving me. She dares speak about me like a pathetic cripple while loving you, now? I'll remind you where you belong." Most people see the beautiful facade of Griffith and get seduced into thinking he's 'good.' Even the reader. However, only when his attractive veneer is stripped do people notice what a monster he is. But, what he did? He's been doing it for years to others. He was always a monster.

At this point in the story, the symbolism isn't subtle. Griffith is a king in a city on a hill. He has a legion of worshippers and is surrounded by all the signs of his good works that put everything else in the world to shame.

Guts is a dirty wanderer with a band of malcontents slinking around the countryside. In comparison to Griffith he has managed to save far fewer people and do less visible good for the world.

But there's no question that everything Griffith has is based on an unforgivable atrocity (the ultimate symbol of which is literally a rape), while Guts conscience is - in his own bloody way - clear.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I'd also like to share a post I made in the Berserk OT regarding Griffith's act of self-destruction:
I know people are being subversive in the "Anime Betrayal" thread when they mention Guts leaving the band of the hawk as a betrayal, but it did get me thinking back to the Golden Age Arc and Griffith's character arc. I'm partway through Volume 29 now, so I'm sure there is more development for Griffith's character ahead, but I kind of just want to talk about how beautifully flawed and human he is (or was, at least) as a character.

In the Volume 6 chapter "Precious Thing", Griffith talks to Charlotte at length about dreams and ambition, going so far as to say that he could only ever define someone as a friend if they pursue their own dreams and are his "equal." However, when he's actually confronted with the reality of someone close to him wanting to leave to find and pursue their own ambition, he falls apart. Now it's entirely possible he was being duplicitous in his conversation with Charlotte, but based on the way he talks about his ambition throughout the arc I doubt that's the case. I think Griffith actually believed his definition of a true friend in his mind from a logical/theoretical perspective because he had never grown truly close with anyone up until that point. He had an idealized version of friendship that didn't actually match up with reality. This is such a human thing...we experience this in our own lives with personal relationships and romance, shifting political beliefs, religion, etc.

His subsequent breakdown is in that respect really understandable, though his actions are not really justified and are completely unhealthy and self-destructive...fucking the daughter of a monarch on the rebound was obviously a bad move to say the least.
Also,
I disagree, but that's not to say you are wrong, just I have my own interpretation I've developed over the last 20 years. I see that ceremony as Griffith accepting his true nature rather than denying it to be something he's not. "Griffith" was an act. He was always Femto. Griffith struggled with trying to fit into the mold of what he feels is a normal human in a few brief isolated moments. I think he believed that a person was supposed to feel something about people who cared about him, but he approached the concept of affection as this abstract metaphor while gestating. When he sacrificed his men, did he weep about what he had to do? Hell no. He reveled in the chance to one-up Guts once and for all. (Their first Duel was him 5 minutes after waking up after a days-long coma. I think it comes down to two camps: "Griffith is dead and Femto is a new being with no Grtiffith left inside" or "Griffith was always Femto." I'm in the latter camp. I think when Caska gets raped, it wasn't "ooga booga me monster me rape now" it was "Okay, Guts. I knew all about Caska's feelings for me and used it to manipulate her into serving me. She dares speak about me like a pathetic cripple while loving you, now? I'll remind you where you belong." Most people see the beautiful facade of Griffith and get seduced into thinking he's 'good.' Even the reader. However, only when his attractive veneer is stripped do people notice what a monster he is. But, what he did? He's been doing it for years to others. He was always a monster.
This is a damn good post. Thanks for sharing it.

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I guess the author got old or lost his fire, but after Griffith resurrection, the manga lost a lot of the insane rage dwelling within and became sort of tame with the great adventures of the fellowship of the ring euh the armor.
It's pretty much a JRPG manga now from what I can see by skimming through the newer chapters. The only manga I think that deserves the praise heaped on it is Vagabond.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
If you don't feel anything then why waste time on media.
You can do other things like think. Our response to media isn't limited to reacting emotionally.

I do kind of wonder, how the Behelit really affects people. Like what does it actually do when it warps them. If people who have the Crimson Behelit are destined to lose their humanity, then did Griffith really have a choice? If it's a pre-determined path coming out of some magical, demonic power then Griffith finding the Crimson Behelit kind of doomed him to becoming evil. You can't even get rid of it if you wanted to since it apparently comes back. So it's more like a curse.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
You can do other things like think. Our response to media isn't limited to reacting emotionally.

I do kind of wonder, how the Behelit really affects people. Like what does it actually do when it warps them. If people who have the Crimson Behelit are destined to lose their humanity, then did Griffith really have a choice? If it's a pre-determined path coming out of some magical, demonic power then Griffith finding the Crimson Behelit kind of doomed him to becoming evil. You can't even get rid of it if you wanted to since it apparently comes back. So it's more like a curse.
the manga implies (or outright say, I don't remember) that while a crimson behelit will always come back to his owner, its activaction is a choice, not something dictated by fate.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
In my view, he absolutely without question had a choice. This comes up from time to time as part of the "Griffith did nothing wrong" bit. I'm not sure if you've read the manga or have only seen the anime adaptations, but The Black Swordsman Arc partially exists to show this choice, particularly with the character of The Count. The Berserk manga starts in medias res with this arc and The Golden Age is a flashback that is shown after it. The Count's choice and Griffith's choice are juxtaposed in this way to show how purely terrible and selfish Griffith's decision was.

My biggest gripe with the various adaptations of Berserk is that they all skip this. I get that it makes the Eclipse more shocking to not already know the choice Griffith made, but skipping The Black Swordsman Arc also makes it less clear that he had a choice to begin with.
I read the manga. When the eclipse goes down, Griffith still seems clueless until hes basically one of them. Then hes like "see? I was destined for this." But, during the transformation, he very much seems in a state of bewilderment, almost as if he didnt believe his own bullshit until that moment. I'm not apologizing for Griffith either but he and the count ARE very different characters.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be an eclipse 2.0 because that happens every 500 yrs or so set by specific conditions. We still don't know Griffiths true end game.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
True but you expect demons to do bad things. Shou is just a guy.

If you were trapped in a room with Griffith and Shou and you had a gun with only one bullet, who would you shoot?
I think they probably to some extent share the same psychology...they just manifest their ego in different ways and on different scales because of the power available to them and their circumstances in their respective worlds.