• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm being an example of the Napoleonic complex by saying that's what he's doing? Makes sense

I was referring to this part:

If he wasn't making his height the excuse for everything.

You're making his height the excuse for everything (in this case the excuse to start body-shaming him).

It's like insulting incels by calling them virgins. Not in any way helpful.

Yeah, basically. Fighting toxicity with more toxicity never works.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man it must really fucking suck to be that short. We as men are conditioned to put so much worth into our heights and it certainly doesn't help that people on dating sites do set benchmarks for height. All the quick jabs at this dudes height prove that point.

With that said, no excuse to lash out like this in public. Dude probably has YEARS of pent up rage. Poor guy. I hope he can get some help

This is where I'm at. For some reason I don't believe this is his normal attitude or persona.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck what a bitter sexist shithead. Yea, lash out at random women about your insecurities. Good lord.

Also, this is a great time remind ourselves how the conversation here on ERA would have been different if the guy would have been fat.

Yea...

So much for an admin telling me that all types are welcome.
Yeah. These responses. The fuck

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It sucks being ridiculed for something you can't control like your height and all, but don't take that shit out on random people and don't be a sexist shit head.

That tackle tho. It's like when keeping it real goes wrong.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
It is calling out short people because by saying "lol manlet" (or any equivalent) you're saying that being short is something that can be used to attack you. Making short jokes in response to this video will do nothing but prove to this guy that he's at least somewhat right to harbour such shitty anger and make short men who don't have that feel worse in their own bodies.

i didnt say anything about defending the word "manlet" , i was referring to the general consensus that this dude acted out of his mind and trying to make an excuse for himself by pulling the short card, which no one had even used on him in the beginning of the confrontation

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 6'6 but I still feel bad about this dude. Hell, this thread is proving the point that its entirely acceptable to just rag on people for being short. Some of y'all are vicious.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I dunno, I make jokes at my own expense about my shortness. Seems fair I can do it at the expense of people like that.

Well I am not going to stop you from self deprecating humour but this reminds me comedians who used to use colour of skin, ethnicity, accent et al (Like Russell Peters) to drive their jokes because they belonged the same group some way or another. Did not make it age any well regardless.

Plum

May 31, 2018
i didnt say anything about defending the word "manlet" , i was referring to the general consensus that this dude acted out of his mind and trying to make an excuse for himself by pulling the short card, which no one had even used on him in the beginning of the confrontation

What were you referring to when you said "It's not about calling out short people"? Because if you're referring to that then the statement makes no sense whatsoever; you had already said that he'd used "the short card," before.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, the dude's a prick but it's becoming increasingly obvious that some of you are just reveling in the blind spot this place has for clowning on mens' height.
There are a lot of blind spots on this forum--a lot of people say not to make fun of others heights, weight, or appearance on this site, but the second it's someone they hate the gloves come off and people hurl out really shitty insults.

May 26, 2018
It's fucked that a guy gets rejected because he's short, but that's no excuse to just start verbally wailing on people who've (seemingly) made no insinuations or judgements at all. Of course it's also not cool that some dude tackled him.

This whole situation is weird and messed up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely short myself. It's immutable trait I couldn't help.

I would never compare the shit I get for being short to the shit I get for being black.

Since, you know, one trait has a storied history and continuance of barbaric treatment and erasure and the other one doesn't?

Like, you know...my ancestors weren't put in the fields for their height....

But whatever! Let's just go to town and make those comparisons anyway I guess!

And fuck the dude in the tweets for being a sexist twat.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Dude clearly has issues he needs to work through and something had to push him over to lose it like that. Hope he gets help eventually. Seems like the kind to not let this go either though so I hope those working there keep an eye out.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
And two more.

Thank fuck I don't meet Era members in person.

I'll just assume you mean you think I'd be very unpleasant to talk to. Which is probably true.

Anyway, I apparently couldn't resist the heightist joke in the moment. That was my failing. Should have found other ways to attack his piss poor character with humor.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
um didn't the bigger blue shirt guy tackle brown shirt asshole first? should've let brown shirt guy make the first move cause he wasn't gonna do shit

I'm certainly not a lawyer in NY (or anywhere else for that matter), but I'm pretty sure "fighting words" is a defense against that sort of charge. The guy is on film inviting him to attack.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
comments in this thread kind of prove dude's point even if he came off like a complete idiot. on the face of it, an attitude like that is his problem, but i also don't know his struggles too. that frustration comes from a real place and we're not there in the situation to know what set him off.

also dude shouldn't have put hands on him like that smfh

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It's fucked that a guy gets rejected because he's short, but that's no excuse to just start verbally wailing on people who've (seemingly) made no insinuations or judgements at all. Of course it's also not cool that some dude tackled him.

This whole situation is weird and messed up.
He isn't being rejected because he's short.

He's being rejected because he's an asshole.

I know plenty of short guys in happy relationships.

If he didn't want to get tackled, maybe he shouldn't have been screaming and shouting and threatening people. He needed to be put in his place.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
1. This thread is fucking gross with the comments about the guy's height. How are comments like that acceptable? You literally cannot control your height at all.
This place is GAF-like when it comes to certain things. From the mental health stuff to the sadly Etika stuff (RIP) and now you get stuff about those lacking height. Goes back to people lacking compassion at the end of the day. Shit's lame as hell. ERA's good for a lot of stuff but certain stuff just feels anti-progression and I'm seeing a lot of it pop up more these days.

That dude needs help and has problems, definitely but people need to lay off the height comments. An asshole's problem is being an asshole at the end of the day.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I dunno, I make jokes at my own expense about my shortness. Seems fair I can do it at the expense of people like that.

Making jokes at your own expense is different to making them at other people's expense, even if they're arseholes like this guy. I constantly belittle myself for being fat but I'd never fat-shame someone else even if they were being an utterly awful person. I'd belittle them for, well, being an utterly awful person.
I'm putting it in the same category as jokes about Trump's alleged hair. Hard not to go for the obvious when the person is an asshole

Jokes about Trump's hair are just as bad. It's still just lazy body shaming that helps no-one and hurts those who do have to deal with that particular aspect of themselves.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
should have just ate his delicious bagel. Nobody asked for a side of sexism with your bagel. Get this man some cream cheese.

mmmmmmmm bagels

Last edited:

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

I would never compare the shit I get for being short to the shit I get for being black.

Since, you know, one trait has a storied history and continuance of barbaric treatment and erasure and the other one doesn't?

One dude used the black comparison.

Regardless of all that, how does that take away from the fact that people are making fun of something he can't physically change?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I still feel like actually making it about his height in this instance is a red herring because everyone involved in this situation has to deal with a guy throwing a fit in public over something literally nobody -- not himself, not the other patrons, not the staff -- has any control over or, to my knowledge, has had anything to do with.

I don't necessarily like people throwing hands in public but when you've got a loud dude like this who's talking like some redpiller and berating the (all-women?) staff, I think it's necessary or inevitable.

Hell, unless there's some huge missing context beyond the start of that first tweet's video it sounds like people were being nice to him before he started getting abusive toward the staff? That's not a height thing.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. Thought I would come in here and it would be all talk about this dude's shitty behaviour, but instead some people showed their ass here and were assholes and now the thread is more about them and their inexcusable assholery. Great job folks.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Only one person used that comparison and nobody's backed them up so I don't think it's right to ignore the body-shaming going on just because of it. Comparisons to the stigma surrounding being fat, bald, ginger are a lot better seeing as they're all "socially acceptable" things to body-shame people over.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
🤣
X2QjbbKl.png

100%.

I feel bad to make fun of him, this dude is clearly damaged. But on the other hand, it's important to (eugh, honestly sorry) rise above a situation you can't control and be the better person in other ways.... and this isn't it.

He shouldn't be pitied

He wasted a bagel

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
[/QUOTE]
You're making his height the excuse for everything (in this case the excuse to start body-shaming him).
Whoops thought I edited my reply to you faster. Sorry.
Here's the one I meant to put :
Because to him it's about his height. And his feelings on that is one of the main reasons he's acting like that. This is what a Napoleonic complex is...

I'm not making his height the excuse, im saying that he is making it the excuse lol. Which is literally the first thing he says in the video.

I never meant to make it look like I was attacking short people or anything like that. I'm just saying he's using that as the excuse. (even though it's not really, he's just a shitty person)

Saying he's being an example of the Napoleonic complex isn't me trying to make fun of short people in any way. My mistake if it's coming off that way though.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The guy is a piece of shit, but this short joke filled dumpster fire of thread is also disgusting

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
His girl problems aren't because of his height. It's because his personality sucks. Case in point. None of my short homies struggled in the dating scene. This is some insel shit.

Edit: disappointing thread in here. Do better.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
I don't understand this obsession about height. I know a lot of short guys that are charismatic, charming, or even well built. They're more well adjusted and have a wider variety of friends and romantic relationships than most people I know.

Just the other day I saw a 5'2" guy with a woman that was almost 5'10".

Height really isn't an issue these days.

You are sharing an anecdote to argue that height isn't important these days.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Commenter on Twitter put a point on the "NOT MY DAD" line and, like, that's going to haunt me for the rest of the day now that I'm reflecting on it. This is how the dude thinks men act. I'd feel bad for him if he didn't represent a pretty plausible risk to the people around him.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Whoops thought I edited my reply to you faster. Sorry.
Here's the one I meant to put :

I'm not making his height the excuse, im saying that he is making it the excuse lol. Which is literally the first thing he says in the video.

I never meant to make it look like I was attacking short people or anything like that. I'm just saying he's using that as the excuse. (even though it's not really)

Saying he's being an example of the Napoleonic complex isn't me trying to make fun of short people in any way. My mistake if it's coming off that way though.

Ah, OK.

And your first reply was to someone saying "I thought all types were welcome here," so even if you weren't attacking short people you were definitely defending other people attacking short people.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
word, we can call this asshole out without using insults that every short person, who isn't an asshole, has to hear.

It's ok... most of us are able to understand people making those comments aren't directed about everyone who is short but rather this guy because he's being an asshole...

I've had it happen in real life without people even realizing that I'm just as short as the person they're making fun of. I pointed it out to a friend who simply said "yeah but you're cool and he's a douche bag". It's just a normal thing and we're used to it, getting called those things personally without provaction is something entirely different. My defense mechanism is to get in front of it and joke about it like it doesn't bother me (even though it does), otherwise people just assume Napoleon complex.

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
That chest to belly bump had me dying lol I can't imagine being a male 5'5 or under, that shit has got to be depressing.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
It's ok... most of us are able to understand people making those comments aren't directed about everyone who is short but rather this guy because he's being an asshole...

I've had it happen in real life without people even realizing that I'm just as short as the person they're making fun of. I pointed it out to a friend who simply said "yeah but you're cool and he's a douche bag". It's just a normal thing and we're used to it, getting called those things personally without provaction is something entirely different. My defense mechanism is to get in front of it and joke about it like it doesn't bother me (even though it does), otherwise people just assume Napoleon complex.

That's a very conflicting post

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this obsession about height. I know a lot of short guys that are charismatic, charming, or even well built. They're more well adjusted and have a wider variety of friends and romantic relationships than most people I know.

Just the other day I saw a 5'2" guy with a woman that was almost 5'10".

Height really isn't an issue these days.

He's a short fat guy with a bald head and hates life

If he put some actual effort into presenting himself and fixing himself up his hight would hardly be an issue

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Ah, OK.

And your first reply was to someone saying "I thought all types were welcome here," so even if you weren't attacking short people you were definitely defending other people attacking short people.
Nah my reply to them was because they included my original post in their reply about people bodyshaming. Then they replied saying they didn't mean to quote me or something.

But it was already too late lol

Oct 26, 2017
UK
He isn't being rejected because he's short.

He's being rejected because he's an asshole.

I know plenty of short guys in happy relationships.

If he didn't want to get tackled, maybe he shouldn't have been screaming and shouting and threatening people. He needed to be put in his place.

Apart from in the example he used he was being rejected for being short unless he includes that fact he's an asshole on his dating profile.

Great, that doesn't prove anything and ignores all the factors of why they're in relationships. Have you asked them if they thought being short was a benefit or detriment to their lives in general?

Ignoring stigma exists just contributes to it's continued existence. The consequences are nowhere near as huge as they are for other marginalised groups, heck I don't think anybody's ever been assaulted for being short, but it's pervasive in just about all communities and leads to normalised discrimination even outside of the dating world (see this thread or the fact people feel iffy about mocking people for weight but not height)

Nobody thinks the guy wasn't being a huge ass hole here, I don't think a single post has suggested as much? Just some short people getting annoyed by people saying it's not an issue when it's directly effected their dating/social/work lives directly.

Jul 3, 2019
Could have just been a lifetime of short guy life exploding randomly. I'm sure he has had a tough time getting women throughout his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.