• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am looking for new headphones, my senses tell me my current pair is about to give up the ghost. So I google, and the top articles are for 250 to 500 dollars. Ok I am a poor boy, add "budget" to the boolian, and that drops it to 150 too 300. Can't I get a nice pair of 50 dollar over the ear headphones and not get insulted about my fiances?

I am about to go to bestbuy and grab some skullcandy headphones and call it a day

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I am looking for new headphones, my senses tell me my current pair is about to give up the ghost. So I google, and the top articles are for 250 to 500 dollars. Ok I am a poor boy, add "budget" to the boolian, and that drops it to 150 too 300. Can't I get a nice pair of 50 dollar over the ear headphones and not get insulted about my fiances?

I am about to go to bestbuy and grab some skullcandy headphones and call it a day
My best hack is to keep an eye on the Musicians Friend stupid deal of the day and grab a pair of studio headphones when they inevitably pop up for $40 bucks.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if you should do it with headphones but 2nd hand is the way to go if you want something nice and don't want to spend a lot of money.

It will take some time but it's usually worth it.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon has the SHP9500 on sale right now for $50 via third party seller - https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They say Used-Like New but I've bought from them a lot and they always show up brand new. These are significantly better than the Koss (which I have a pair of as well)

The same seller also have the 9600 for $58. The 9600 have more bass but lack the clarity of the 9500. Some people find the 9500 to be too light on the bass but I love them. Either one is a great buy at those prices.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I recommend Koss anything. But specifically the Koss KPH30iK or the porta pro.

Aug 30, 2020
I mean whatever dumb shit you're reading is straight dumb. Koss Porta Pro are great below 100. There's nothing budget when you consider some of the best-in-class headphones for specific features / desires max out around 300.

It's like saying a non-supercar is 'budget'.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I got 30$ skull candy wireless for running and it's been great 🤷‍♂️
lot of the stuff on high end stuff is there but ymmv on how useful it really is

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if you should do it with headphones but 2nd hand is the way to go if you want something nice and don't want to spend a lot of money.

It will take some time but it's usually worth it.
Let me tell you, I brough a refurbish pair of Sennheiser's for 20 bucks. Best headphones i ever owned. Last 5 years then the cord started to short

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
$150 for headphones? Pssh.

www.resetera.com

My Koss KPH30i arrived and the level of audio quality doesn't make sense for the price.

Holy shit, so I was debating on getting the new Sony XM3s but decided, since I'm out of work and not making any money, I shouldn't splurge that much for a headset. So instead I picked up a pair of Koss KPH30i's and it is blowing my mind. It has been said many times, but how can a pair of...

Any connoisseur of anything should be able to give you dirt cheap alternatives for shit. Those headphones are FANTASTIC.

Cheapie Skullcandy earbuds are also fine in a pinch if you're not looking for amazing quality

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the cords on most decent headphones replacable? I know I've replaced the cables on my 579s a few times.
It was these, their budget models
B1KNS210812c840v.jpg

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what prices are like right now, but: Koss Portapro, Grado SR6X/8X, Sennheiser HD5XX, Audio Technica M50, etc

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I'd recommend the KPH30i. I had mine for about a month before the headband snapped. It seems to be a common problem. Yes they have a lifelong warranty but you have to pay for shipping +$9 on top. PortaPros are pretty dark sounding but they last forever.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turtle Beach usually has some decent headphones that are in the $50-60 price range.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using an MPOW 059 for a couple years that I got off Amazon for like $30, they're slowly falling apart and being held together with duct tape at this point but damn is the sound quality amazing. Only headphones I've used in recent memory that had some proper bass to them, I tried my brother's expensive "professional" headphones and they sounded like trash in comparison. I bought a second pair that I'm saving for when this one finally kicks the bucket.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It often feels like the affordably-priced midrange product is disappearing in the electronics space.

My phone fell in a heap recently, and I just couldn't find a decent new handset at a price I felt was reasonable. Ended up grabbing a second-hand/refurbed Oneplus 6 for the equivalent of $180 USD, and at this rate I may stick to non-new phones in future.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
There is no more middle for most consumer products. You buy the cheap dirt or look at the luxury version longingly from a display case.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had been using $20 chinese cans for years until I "upgraded" to a $60 anker q30. It's not really super amazing but I cant get myself to spend $200+ on headphones.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Typically for Black Friday they got some decent sennhesier ones for $100 which is kinda pricey but they sound fantastic to me and have lasted years. Plus have a replaceable cable. Be like me sir.

unless you want Bluetooth ones in which case fuck if I️ know. I️ can't find nice ones for less than $100

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This is my problem with a lot of review sites. It really sucks when your comparing items on Wirecutter.com and everything is a lot more than you're willing to pay. They ought to add the best cheap cheap cheappp option available.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Look into chi-fi (Chinese hifi stuff) there's a lot of good stuff for cheap out there these days. Qc can be an issue with chifi tho.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
I've never used the other Koss models mentioned in this thread, but I love the Koss KSC75. Sub-20 bucks and sounds great.

Can anyone tell me how these compare to the KPH30i?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm awful for spending on certain things. Clothes and food stuffs, I am thrifty as fuck. But my headphones give in? That's some serious shit right there. Debt causing levels of shit.

I can't live without a decent pair of headphones. Not just out of sound snobbery, they act as a valuable sensory deprivation tool for when I am overwhelmed by sounds, and they act as a social cue that I would rather be left alone. (It doesn't always work for the latter, but it works enough.)

That said, I never trust top rated articles when searching. They always skew towards latest models and expensive brands, even in "budget" criterias. My current headphones were a pair of skullcandies that offer decent sound quality and comfort, and I got them for £20 because the model number was being replaced with the latest iteration.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I highly recommend the Philips SHP9500s, they're fantastic for the price. The only minor problem in my opinion is they leak audio due to being open back headphones. They're super comfortable too.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
Amazon has the SHP9500 on sale right now for $50 via third party seller - https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They say Used-Like New but I've bought from them a lot and they always show up brand new. These are significantly better than the Koss (which I have a pair of as well)

The same seller also have the 9600 for $58. The 9600 have more bass but lack the clarity of the 9500. Some people find the 9500 to be too light on the bass but I love them. Either one is a great buy at those prices.

The 9500 sounded great, but they felt like they were designed for someone with a basketball for a head. There was no clamping force whatsoever, and I have a larger head. The 9600 sound almost the same, and they feel so much nicer. Pop in a V-Moda mic, and then it's my gaming headset as well.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018
Let me join the chorus of recommending Koss. I've got the KSC75, KPH30, and porta pros and you can't go wrong iwth any of them. I actually prefer the KSC75s due to the way they fit, but I think i'm an outlier there.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I love my Koss PortaPros with Yaxi pads. I had some Sennheiser 58X but I barely used them so I sold. Sound was nice but not better enough to be worth the cost.