• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
The man in question is Andrew Beveridge, a professor of Sociology at Queens College who holds a PhD and is the CEO of Social Explorer. And...

It's pretty goddamn blatant

Lock if this has already been posted. Looked through and didn't find anything similar, although I'm a moron so

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
sUPzPSc.png

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How'd did I know it would be that guy without knowing who any of the people in the picture were

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, in the second video, there's a little boy in the room.

God damn, imagine seeing this shit on TV at that fucking age.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In politics, a Gaffe is what happens when you say what you feel is the truth.

That's a hell of a gaffe.

OP
OP
Icolin

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

That was the language used in the first tweet I saw of this (couldn't put it in the OP because of the limit on embedded media on ResetERA posts). Yeah, more like he straight said it. Apologies, y'all

How'd did I know it would be that guy without knowing who any of the people in the picture were

The Yakubians are going brazy

The audacity of this caucasity

Oct 25, 2017
Was it fine in the sense he was referring that the amendment allowed "slaves" to be treated as citizens? From a historical standpoint this isn't exactly wrong, just not really tasteful.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking disgusting, did anyone call him out? Like immediately? Like "i'm Sorry, did you just say slaves?"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
LOL the way he spits out blacks is more telling then the slave thing.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Too blatant.

I wish I could understand how it's so easy for these people to hate people just for their looks. It just baffles my mind.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Was it fine in the sense he was referring that the amendment allowed "slaves" to be treated as citizens? From a historical standpoint this isn't exactly wrong, just not really tasteful.
Considering he corrected himself from "slaves" to "blacks" rather than trying to list them as separate categories, I don't think that's what he was going for.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
The 14th amendment was ratified right after the Civil War (1868) largely to establish the rights of recently freed slaves, and Confederate states were strongly opposed to it on that basis.

He obviously screwed up here but I don't think this is a sign of veiled racism. From a historical perspective, the 14th amendment was quite explicitly targeted at the abolition of slavery and literature about it tends to specifically refer to it giving rights to former slaves.

If he's conflating black people in general with slaves, that would clearly be reprehensible, but if he's associating the 14th amendment with the abolition of slavery (which is pretty much the standard when looking at it from a historical standpoint) then using the term in this context was stupid mistake but not a malicious one.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The 14th amendment was ratified right after the Civil War (1868) largely to establish the rights of recently freed slaves, and Confederate states were strongly opposed to it on that basis.

He obviously screwed up here but I don't think this is a sign of veiled racism. From a historical perspective, the 14th amendment was quite explicitly targeted at the abolition of slavery and literature about it tends to specifically refer to it giving rights to former slaves.

It's definitely not a sign of racism. The guy is a professor in urban sociology

http://www.asanet.org/news-and-even...gy-asa-award/andrew-beveridge-award-statement

ProfessorBeveridge's scholarly work and contributions to the Times are closely related to his active community involvement. As President of the Yonkers (NY) Board of Education, he fought to bring the school system into full compliance with court decisions mandating integration.He frequently serves as an expert witness in court cases involving housing discrimination, affirmative steering, rent stabilization and affordability in support of such organizations as the ACLU, NAACP, New York City Environmental Justice Alliance, U.S. Justice Department Civil Rights Division, and the legal services programs of several cities and counties.He applied his expertise in sociology to informing numerous federal and state jury system challenges and court cases on employment and religious freedom discrimination.

I mean come on guys

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

If he's conflating black people in general with slaves, that would clearly be reprehensible, but if he's associating the 14th amendment with the abolition of slavery (which is pretty much the standard when looking at it from a historical standpoint) then using the term in this context was stupid mistake but not a malicious one.

Considering the guys background in civil rights work, I really think this is the case. I'm not one to usually let that sort of shit slide, but his brain clearly connected the 14 and slavery.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the guys background in civil rights work, I really think this is the case. I'm not one to usually let that sort of shit slide, but his brain clearly connected the 14 and slavery.

Co-signed. He was thinking 14th Amendment and made the connection. This is not a bad dude...

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think this was intentional to be honest. He was talking about some amendment, and his brain was stuck in that time period's framework for a second.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
If dude actually hates black people to the point where he can't even say "black" without retching, he's spent his entire professional career doing a damn good job of hiding it. Lmao @ yall

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It makes his remarks elsewhere rather interesting...

"All of the districts with noncitizens in them and all of the districts with kids in them would have less representation," said Andrew Beveridge, a demographer at Queens College in New York, who called the idea the "holy grail" for Republicans seeking to maintain a partisan advantage.

Man, white, old, conservative, and racist? The perfect mix. Holy grail of what? White men?

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Upon rewatching and better hearing the context of it being related to the 14th Amendment, I can see this conceivably being a simple slip-up.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to be that guy, but the fact he was sort going off the inception of that 14th amendment I think made him lose track for a moment.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this guy's a racist, he's like, the most incompetent racist ever judging by his resume. :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.