• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Good on him, but hell naw. I enjoy my furry roommates, but not enough to risk losing time with my wife. I don't have that in me.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
you must have only seen, what, 2-3 comments of his. Read all of his comments. They come off as totally robotic, as if we should toss away our pets as a kid would toss a way a toy that it no longer wanted. If anyone started hurling insults first, it was him.

No I read all the comments in the thread. The "unhealthy attachment" line was strange wording, and I think that's what pissed most people off, but his point is spot on. And he never personally attacked anyone even in response to crazy reactions calling him a cunt and a robot and saying he's shitting up the thread.

Also, he said he grew up on a farm full of animals, where people generally have a very different type of love for their animals than people who treat pets as proxy kids. Hence the disconnect between "unhealthy attachment" and "toss away our pets".

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Some people have a point that this man was not only risking his life, but potentially leaving his kids and wife without him. It was an incredibly risky thing he did, and it was something he probably didn't think too hard about, but as a lover of animals I would probably do the same thing. I've never outright risked my life for an animal, yet, but I've always saved animals that were in any kind of danger because I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I didn't and anything bad happened to them. The man probably felt the same way, especially because that dog was part of his family.

Animals are just as important as people.

Oct 25, 2017
Whats worse is that he's keeping his cool while they resort to calling him some really awful names and insults

Eh, I'm pretty good at shutting that stuff out. I mentioned it earlier, but I work in residential care where we counsel and care for teenage girls who have suffered from extreme trauma. These kids have a habit of screaming in your face and calling you every terrible thing in the book. Ironically, I have literally put my life on the line to save these kids and coworkers who have been attacked by them. I have 5 slipped discs in my back from a time I had to help stop a riot. I was sent to the ER after getting in a tussle with a kid who I was trying to stop from swallowing a handful of broken glass. I'm not particularly phased by people calling me a monster for saying they should take care of their kids and the importance of their being alive over their dog.

No I read all the comments in the thread. The "unhealthy attachment" line was strange wording, and I think that's what pissed most people off, but his point is spot on. And he never personally attacked anyone even in response to crazy reactions calling him a cunt and a robot and saying he's shitting up the thread.

Also, he said he grew up on a farm full of animals, where people generally have a very different type of love for their animals than people who treat pets as proxy kids. Hence the disconnect between "unhealthy attachment" and "toss away our pets".

I will say, growing up and having seen my pets die in the dozens, including baby puppies killed for being runts of the litter by their siblings, dogs kill themselves getting in fights with coyotes and wildcats (yes, we lost a dog to a cougar), my favorite dog snapping at another and literally popping that dogs eyeball out of its head because it tried to take a bite of its food, it's a big reason why I see pets the way I do. They are very special, but their lives are incredibly fleeting and on a very different level than any person. If people want to truly see animals for what they are they should see them with their own kind rather than just as a servant to their master. People feel super benevolent with their animals, but truth is, any dog would rather be out in the wild with other dogs than cooped up in a house 24/7, no matter how many belly rubs they get, and how they treat each other is a better way to understand an animal's true motivations.

Kronvilt

Oct 28, 2017
If my dad did this I would probably punch him in the face. I can't imagine what my mother would have done.

And yeah, you do have an unhealthy attachment to your pets if you're willing to risk leaving three kids without their father to save a pet. Not to mention all other problems that would arise.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Glad they got out safe.

Very, very irresponsible with three kids however. Kids need a father more than they need a dog and he could have died.

Shouldn't dwell on it too much though as it was a happy ending.

VoidPlot

Nov 1, 2017
As a pitbull owner , I would do the same for my dog. This man is a hero , Me and Xander salute you !

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I'm firmly in the "pets are family" camp. No way in hell would I leave my dog in a fire. This dude has my respect.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You know, it's possible for something to be emotionally understandable yet also extremely irresponsible at the same time.

I don't blame this guy for doing what he did and I'm glad he and his dog are mostly ok and alive.

But it's also perfectly fine to point out potential dangers to himself and also firefighters that would not have otherwise existed. Not everything has to be all or nothing, black or white.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
your kids have to pick one life, yours or your dog, who do they choose?
That's like asking your children to pick which parent gets to live, or which sibling gets to live.

Yes it's the same. Dogs are part of the family.

It's an impossible choice. Dogs aren't worth less to me because they're not human. I can't imagine being so jaded and having such a warped perception of the value of life.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's like asking your children to pick which parent gets to live, or which sibling gets to live.

It's an impossible choice. Dogs aren't worth less to me because they're not human. I can't imagine being so jaded and having such a warped perception of the value of life.
Yah, people don't get it here. They have a heirachy on what life should be saved. It's impossible for them to see people viewing animals as anything more then secondary to other people.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Someone holding the view that a human life is worth more than a family pet's life doesn't make them jaded.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018

Valuing a dog as much as your own children is the actual warped perception. Get a grip, man.

Oct 25, 2017

Yah, people don't get it here. They have a heirachy on what life should be saved. It's impossible for them to see people viewing animals as anything more then secondary to other people.

Your dog and your son are both dying from infection. You can only afford to treat one. You buy antibiotics for the dog and let your son die. "Sorry your honor, it was an impossible choice. My dog is worth just as much as my son."

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
It seems like the dog was close enough to where the guy could rescue him. He took a chance on that, and was thankfully rewarded, but it could've gone the other way easily. It doesn't matter if it's just a pet -- the sentimental value that dog has was enough for the guy to make the risk worth it.

I can't fault him for that.

Having said that, I probably couldn't have done that. I won't call the guy an idiot or anything like it, because he's not.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The guy is a hero. With that said, with kids myself and dogs, I would never ever jeopardise myself for one of them due to the ramifications it could have if I die for my family and kids foremost.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I think people are making too much out of this.

Father assessed the risk, he assessed correctly. You can run to your neighbors when your toaster catches fire, or you can reach for the fire extinguisher. No one here was there, its an assumption to say he was being irresponsible.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point being that people value the life of their kids more than they do their pets, despite all the pets are family talk. Right?
The point being that you would try to save every member of your family, including your dogs.

"Yeah but what if you could only choose one!"

What if outer space was green? foh with these stuopid gotchas. Dropping a goddamn Sophie's choice doesn't prove anything. It would be an impossible scenario.

Dogs have co-evolved with humans for tens of thousands of years. They're family members to most, not mere "pets."

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

You understand that "reasonable" is a totally subjective way of judging things, right?

Pets are not humans.

No shit.

Still doesn't put one above the other.

nor is it even a position supported by law.

And it doesn't prove anything at all. In the past minorities and women weren't the same for the law. Was it reasonable to think their life was less important at the time, then?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The point being that you would try to save every member of your family, including your dogs.

What if outer space was green? foh with these stuopid gotchas. Dropping a goddamn Sophie's choice doesn't prove anything. It would be an impossible scenario.

Dogs have co-evolved with humans for tens of thousands of years. They're family members to most, not mere "pets."

Yes you should try of course.

But with the scenario of losing your life, I would bet his kids would be worse of without their father instead of the dog.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Your dog and your son are both dying from infection. You can only afford to treat one. You buy antibiotics for the dog and let your son die. "Sorry your honor, it was an impossible choice. My dog is worth just as much as my son."

I truly hope the way you post here is thoroughly divorced from the manner in which you conduct yourself in your everyday life, because the idea of someone so emotionally stunted and so devoid of self-reflection offering guidance to people at their most vulnerable is terrifying.

You apparently led a life in which the animals you interacted with endured a harsh, brutal existence. Those animals' lives and your perspective on them are no more or less authentic than the lives of domestic pets and the families who love them. So stop lecturing people with your sophomoric philosophy, because having an uncommon life experience does not mean you automatically have some truer insight into the nature of morality.

Last edited:

Kronvilt

Oct 28, 2017

Reagardless of the risk involved?

And it's not a gotcha. Plenty of people have died trying to save their pets from a burning building.

Kronvilt

Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of people could have lived and still save their pets. This guy did. Youre all assuming this person is too stupid to make a rational decision.

We could always ask a firefighter if entering a house on fire, in which you don't actually know where the fire started is a rational decision, as opposed to a guy who got lucky.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
What if the dog dies and your kid gets depressed and its forever hurt by that?

What if the dog dies and your kid gets depressed and you divorce your partner because of that and all your children live without two parents anyway?

What if the dog dies and the kid doesn't give a shit?

What if the dogs dies and the kid is happy?

What if, what if, what if?

You're assuming an awful lot of things from your own prospective for an action, made by another person, that's totally emotional and not rational.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you should try of course.

But with the scenario of losing your life, I would bet his kids would be worse of without their father instead of the dog.
Perhaps.

They also might resent him for the rest of their lives, and never have a healthy relationship with him again. Which would lead to all sorts of other potential issues, some even resulting in death. Who knows? It's silly to play these "what if" games.

Reagardless of the risk involved?

And it's not a gotcha. Plenty of people have died trying to save their pets from a burning building.

I like to think I'd take the risk in a heartbeat, and that's me sitting here thinking it through. In the heat of the moment it would just be instinctual.

Also, it is a gotcha. Any time you're asking someone to choose which of their family members to kill it's a goddamn gotcha. That's a ridiculous scenario that has no good answers. It's also irreverent to the discussion at hand, since this wasn't a father choosing between the life of his dog or the lives of his kids. His kids were already safe. This was a father choosing between risking his own life to try and save the family dog or letting that family member literally die in a fire.

Dude is a hero.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What if the dog dies and your kid gets depressed and its forever hurt by that?

What if the dog dies and your kid gets depressed and you divorce your partner because of that and all your children live without two parents anyway?

What if the dog dies and the kid doesn't give a shit?

What if the dogs dies and the kid is happy?

What if, what if, what if?

You're assuming an awful lot of things from your own prospective for an action, made by another person, that's totally emotional and not rational.

It is quite common that losing a parent is a big trauma in younger years.

Losing a pet isn't, normally.