• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Link.

Article link.

Jose Guzman tells PEOPLE that he has no regrets about heading into the massive multi-house blaze in Pala, California, to save his family's 2-year-old blue nose pit bull named Gabanna.

"I knew something could've happened to me or both of us, but it didn't go through my mind at the time," Jose told PEOPLE. "That dog is part of my family. She's been with us through downs and ups and I couldn't leave her there. I would do it again if I had to; I would do it for anybody in my family."

Without thinking, the father of three rushed past the firefighters and straight into the blazing home to rescue his dog. Jose said he found his pet hiding in the bathroom — the only room that wasn't on fire in the home — curled up in a ball under the toilet.

"I ran through the curtain of fire and made my way through the smoke to the back of the house, where I had her chained up," he said. "It was hard for me to get her leash unhooked, but I managed to get her loose and we both ran out towards the driveway."

Jose was, however, injured and suffered second-degree burns to his face, right side, arm, and left ear, which he said were healing well. Gabanna also experienced burns to her nose and paw, and though she's still a bit shaken up, she is expected to be fine.

Massive kudos to the guy and I would have done the same for my dog.

BetterKnowledge

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 13, 2019
I'd do the same for my pups. Though we have four, so I don't know how I would save all of them.

Now I'm sad.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm a goddamned coward, no lie, but if I thought I could save my dogs from a horrible fate you bet your ass my life would be traded for them in a heartbeat. No hesitation.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad he did so and they both survived, I probably would have done the same. But this guy is a father of three. I wouldn't say i'd do it again in hindsight, but out of love for my pet in the heat of the moment? Most likely. In hindsight if I was a parent of 3? Hell no.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
I've had more pets then probably most people on here. I literally grew up on a farm with around 15 dogs. I would never put an animal over the responsibility of caring for my own children. Super irresponsible from my perspective.

You expect this dude to just let a living creature suffer and die? Nah fuck that, anybody with a heart would have done the same thing

Oct 25, 2017
I sense a total lack of emotion when i read you describe "your" pets, You expect this dude to just let a living creature suffer and die? Nah fuck that, anybody with a heart would have done the same thing

Fuck that. I literally spent 8 months feeding and caring for a goddamn millipede my daughter found last year. I pulled over in the rain and saved a small finch I found stuck in a storm gutter with a broken wing and cared for it until it could fly again. I've had countless rodents, cats, dogs, horses, chickens, etc. and cared for them. I've more than done my fair share for animals over someone with a family dog.

I would never put a dog over the well-being of my wife and children. A pet will never be worth putting my family through that. It's probably my years of caring for animals that makes me feel this way.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty awesome he managed to save the dog and come out with "only" second degree burns. Still though, he has 3 fucking kids. Can't be that careless. Nice to see this has a happy ending though.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Feel-good thread ruined. Thanks.

What you see as a feel good thread, to me, is just another sad reminder of people's fucked up priorities in the modern age. I work every day with kids who have lost their parents and see the devastation it causes to themselves and everyone around them. It's ridiculous and I really think it has to do with people further isolating themselves and prescribing human emotions on creatures that are literally incapable of them.

I'm glad the dog is safe, but fuck I'd be pissed if he got himself killed doing that.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hero. I would have done the same.

What you see as a feel good thread, to me, is just another sad reminder of people's fucked up priorities in the modern age. I work every day with kids who have lost their parents and see the devastation it causes to themselves and everyone around them. It's ridiculous and I really think it has to do with people further isolating themselves and prescribing human emotions on creatures that are literally incapable of them.

I'm glad the dog is safe, but fuck I'd be pissed if he got himself killed doing that.

You, a zero.

MiracleTrail

Banned
Jan 6, 2018

Fuck off.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What I really see is someone who is desperately begging me to be blocked for shitting up a thread.

Englebert3rd

Oct 31, 2017

Did a dog bite you or something?
Why do you have to be so negative?

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck that. I literally spent 8 months feeding and caring for a goddamn millipede my daughter found last year. I pulled over in the rain and saved a small finch I found stuck in a storm gutter with a broken wing and cared for it until it could fly again. I've had countless rodents, cats, dogs, horses, chickens, etc. and cared for them. I've more than done my fair share for animals over someone with a family dog.

I would never put a dog over the well-being of my wife and children. A pet will never be worth putting my family through that. It's probably my years of caring for animals that makes me feel this way.

You claim to have compassion for animals, and yet, as soon as it would inconvenience you, nah fuck that living, breathing animal that is dying in pain.

If i had kids, they would be screaming to save our pets, like anyone with a heart.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
You wouldnt be able to live with the guilt that you tied your dog up in the bathroom and he/she burned to death.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I've had more pets then probably most people on here. I literally grew up on a farm with around 15 dogs. I would never put an animal over the responsibility of caring for my own children. Super irresponsible from my perspective.
wait so he saved his dog and left his 3 kids in a burning house What??

Wonder why his own dog was chained up in his house? Probably could've escaped if not.
thinking it was in a crate while they were away

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wait, the dude is a father of 3, ran into a burning building for a dog, and people are commending him for it?

He's lucky to have come out of with the injuries he did but he easily could have died, or gotten injured to the point where a firefighter would have had to risk themselves going in to rescue him. Assuming they would seeing as he ran in of his own volition; they didn't seem in a hurry to intervene in that short video.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
That was incredibly unsafe. He didn't even have anything to protect himself from smoke inhalation. I'm wondering if the firefighters would have followed him into the house if he didn't return soon enough. That would have been endangering their lives as well.

He got lucky here but I don't think that's an example of behavior to emulate, even if you're a dog lover.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
So what's the protocol here? Will the fire department not save pets? If they do, could he not have told them there was a dog inside?

Oct 25, 2017
Just for the record, I expected the response I'm getting because I see this sort of craziness in almost every animal thread here. I see people who would literally let someone else burn and save the dog first and feel justified. I'll leave this be, but people should put credence on their family and I sincerely hope that anyone who has children thinks long and hard about the future ramifications on said children before doing stupid things.

I truly believe there is literally nothing more important than someone caring for their own children and nothing takes priority over that. I literally go to work every day to try and put the pieces back together from families who don't do that. I really think most of you underestimate the damage that can be done there. Take care of your kids so people like me locked residential settings don't have to.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017

Obviously the guy was in the moment. I can't say I'd know how I'd react in a similar situation. No one thinks clearly in a dire situation.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the protocol here? Will the fire department not save pets? If they do, could he not have told them there was a dog inside?

No idea on the protocol, but I'm guessing the firefighters didn't know there was a dog in the house. If you turn up the volume, you could hear him say that his dog is in there when they call him back.