• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respect.

I would do the same for my pet, I love her too much to just let her burn unless it's totally too late with absolutely no chance of survival.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My dog died 3 days ago. I would do everything to get him back...

I mean that, if the devil is reading this you can have my soul after I die, just bring me back my buddy

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'll be honest and say I probably wouldn't have done the same, but props to the guy for doing it.

Maybe my mind will change once I actually have a dog.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This is what I'm stuck at.

Seriously. What's the protocol in a situation like this?
They might have deemed it too dangerous to risk a fire fighter's life for an animal. That said there was very little time between when he said there was an animal in there and him running in. I'm not sure they had time to even make a decision.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the puppy was mine I'd do the same thing regardless of the risk. If there's a chance, I'm taking it.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize etcetera was just for cheerleading purposes. In all seriousness, if you're looking for nothing but people repeating stuff such as "good doggo" about a thousand times, go hang out on r/aww. I'm not saying that to be snarky, but if we're seriously not supposed to discuss an article beyond saying how great it is, some sort of disclaimer would be appreciated.

You've got 4100 plus posts, ERA loves dog piling on anything against the grain especially with cats and dogs.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is beyond stupid for a guy with three kids. I don't see this as heroic so much as unhealthy attachment.
What you see as a feel good thread, to me, is just another sad reminder of people's fucked up priorities in the modern age. I work every day with kids who have lost their parents and see the devastation it causes to themselves and everyone around them. It's ridiculous and I really think it has to do with people further isolating themselves and prescribing human emotions on creatures that are literally incapable of them.

I'm glad the dog is safe, but fuck I'd be pissed if he got himself killed doing that.
You sound like a great person.

SR7212

Avenger
Aug 17, 2018
I'm happy he rescued his dog but I'm also happy none of the fire fighters rushed after him. Spontaneous reactions can get even the most experienced professionals into trouble.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
In some places, running into a burning building is considered a crime, even if it's to save your own child. Wonder if there will be any repercussions for this.

Props to the guy for making it and saving the dog, but I'm not sure if I'd do the same thing if I was a father.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
That was incredibly unsafe. He didn't even have anything to protect himself from smoke inhalation. I'm wondering if the firefighters would have followed him into the house if he didn't return soon enough. That would have been endangering their lives as well.

He got lucky here but I don't think that's an example of behavior to emulate, even if you're a dog lover.

That's my take. I wouldn't risk living 3 children fatherless and a ton of financial burden over a dog. As much as some view their pets as children — they're not children, and you're not a parent.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I would do the same even though I love my cats to bits. Would feel like a right dick if I left my son or daughter fatherless because of that.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Just for the record, I expected the response I'm getting because I see this sort of craziness in almost every animal thread here. I see people who would literally let someone else burn and save the dog first and feel justified. I'll leave this be, but people should put credence on their family and I sincerely hope that anyone who has children thinks long and hard about the future ramifications on said children before doing stupid things.

I truly believe there is literally nothing more important than someone caring for their own children and nothing takes priority over that. I literally go to work every day to try and put the pieces back together from families who don't do that. I really think most of you underestimate the damage that can be done there. Take care of your kids so people like me locked residential settings don't have to.

I hear what you're saying man. Coming from someone who's also owned pets if I had kids depending on me to take care of them running into a house is a damn stupid idea. Crazy how a little luck can change the perception of a reckless move into a brave endeavour for the masses.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They can assess the situation and decide. The owner was in and out in 30 seconds and they just stood their gawking as he ran in. Even if they didn't care about the pet, they should have ran in there after him and dragged him back out.

The owner was in great danger and extremely lucky. Firemen should not be required to run after people that decide to run into burning buildings to save a pet.

they just stood their gawking as he ran in

smh

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate username!

giphy.gif

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
I would have gotten a new dog. Too much of a risk to do something like that, reminds me of that story with that guy who tried to save a dog that fell in a Yellowstone hot spring.... it did not end well for either of them, but saying that, I am happy he managed to save his dog.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Pets are family. Especially dogs.

If they knew you were still in a burning house, they'd fly in after you and drag you out with their own fur in flames.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Oh it's OK, honey! Your dad died while trying to save our family dog. So our economy went to poop, and mommy started drinking. You understand, right?

Well, some era members do, and they're smart! SMRT!
SparklingMiserlyCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
They can assess the situation and decide. The owner was in and out in 30 seconds and they just stood their gawking as he ran in. Even if they didn't care about the pet, they should have ran in there after him and dragged him back out.
They had no way to combat the fire. It's not their responsibility to care for people who willingly walk into a fire. If they chased after him they could have gotten hurt and so on.

Oct 26, 2017
I would have gotten a new dog. Too much of a risk to do something like that, reminds me of that story with that guy who tried to save a dog that fell in a Yellowstone hot spring.... it did not end well for either of them, but saying that, I am happy he managed to save his dog.
Sounds like you've never had any pets.

They're not furniture you can just replace...

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
And if he died?
Just think about the ramifications regarding his family, for a moment.
Sounds like you've never had any pets.

They're not furniture you can just replace...
When I was a tween/teenager, we had a black cat. I loved him. His name was Tengel, named from a fjord nearby.
He liked to tease foxes. One day, a fox got a solid hit on him. He came home, but avoided people like the plague. We knew by that sign that he was vitally wounded.
We weren't, and aren't , made out of money, so we ended him with a shotgun.

I cried. I haven't lost close family yet, but I seldom cry when relatives go away.
Tengel was family. I was heartbroken.

I still see this case as an irresponsible one.

I would maybe go into a burning house for my mother or sister.
I wouldn't want to cause sorrow on them for risking my life for a pet.
That is my line. Judge from that what you will.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
If the dude died my guess is we'll have tons of post talking about Darwin awards and being selfish to his kids. I'm happy about the end result of this story but I don't think running in a complete blaze to potentially leave your daughters fatherless is a good idea.