• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this was extremely reckless. He could have put himself in a position that would have then required the emergency crews to put themselves in danger trying to rescue his ass if he didn't get out in time. Let the rescue crews do their job.

Edit: Also agree with the above post. Steeped in a Sea of Games has a level head about this. Some of y'all have really wack priorities if you'd gamble potentially dying and leaving your spouse and children to clean up the mess to save an animal. I have a Pitbull and I love her to death but I also wouldn't put her above any of my actual family. This shit isn't a movie its real life. Don't be stupid and make decisions that needlessly put yourself in harms way ESPECIALLY when there are equipped professionals that could have done this in a much safer way. People like to romanticise this kind of stuff but its also the kind of rash split second decision that can alter lives forever. Think before you act.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
And if he died?
Just think about the ramifications regarding his family, for a moment.
When I was a tween/teenager, we had a black cat. I loved him. His name was Tengel, named from a fjord nearby.
He liked to tease foxes. One day, a fox got a solid hit on him. He came home, but avoided people like the plague. We knew by that sign that he was vitally wounded.
We weren't, and aren't , made out of money, so we ended him with a shotgun.

I cried. I haven't lost close family yet, but I seldom cry when relatives go away.
Tengel was family. I was heartbroken.

I still see this case as an irresponsible one.

I would maybe go into a burning house for my mother or sister.
I wouldn't want to cause sorrow on them for risking my life for a pet.
That is my line. Judge from that what you will.
Well, your story is terribly sad and you certainly did the right thing. You probably wouldn't have been able to save him and it would have costed you a small fortune.

Personally, I consider my pets as family members and I value their company more than a lot of people (who sadly tend to be a source of disappointment and frustration). With that said, I'm not saying that I'd risk my life for them in any situation... but I'd take -some- risk, that I'm sure of.

To be clear my previous message was a reaction to the seemingly dismissive attitude of the poster I was quoting... the simple presence of an animal can be replaced, but that specific relationship is lost forever. The people I've heard saying these things usually never actually owned a pet (and would probably be fine with just owning an Aibo or a Furby).

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Look I have a dog and a cat and I love them to death and i'd try my best to rescue them from a burning home. I also have my first child on the way next month. If two months from now my house looks like that video I'll do my best to get my pets, but I'm not potentially getting myself killed and leaving my wife and newborn without a husband/dad.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of ya'll are being pretty damn wack in here for giving Steeped in a Sea of Games shit for a perfectly reasonable take on the subject.

Seriously. They're proving his point re crazy pet owners. I admire the guy for saving his dog, but it's not wrong to point out that it was a potentially foolish decision considering he has children. I don't care what some of you nuts think, but your family > your dog. (And before anyone says it, the human members of your family. Christ.)

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Well, your story is terribly sad and you certainly did the right thing. You probably wouldn't have been able to save him and it would have costed you a small fortune.

Personally, I consider my pets as family members and I value their company more than a lot of people (who sadly tend to be a source of disappointment and frustration). With that said, I'm not saying that I'd risk my life for them in any situation... but I'd take -some- risk, that I'm sure of.

To be clear my previous message was a reaction to the seemingly dismissive attitude of the poster I was quoting... the simple presence of an animal can be replaced, but that specific relationship is lost forever. The people I've heard saying these things usually never actually owned a pet (and would probably be fine with just owning an Aibo or a Furby).
We think alike, friend. And so does he who you quoted; he just worded it poorly.
"Just get a new one" is a sentence that I understandably can see as being heartless.
Personally, Tengel was my last one.
It's been 27 years, more or less, I cannot say for sure, since that. And only now I long for a new family member in a cat. They give you something, of that I'm sure.

Sadly, few renters accept pets.

Thank you for your kind words - it means something hearing that, even if you're a stranger -keeping calm in your reply. I will keep your name in mind.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have kids so I can't really comment on that side of this discussion, but I do have dogs and I would do anything for them if they were in trouble.

anamika

May 18, 2018
The poor thing was chained up. He chained her up. She would have died burning and trying to free herself. He had a responsibility to release her from those chains, kids or no kids.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this was extremely reckless. He could have put himself in a position that would have then required the emergency crews to put themselves in danger trying to rescue his ass if he didn't get out in time. Let the rescue crews do their job.

Edit: Also agree with the above post. Steeped in a Sea of Games has a level head about this. Some of y'all have really wack priorities if you'd gamble potentially dying and leaving your spouse and children to clean up the mess to save an animal. I have a Pitbull and I love her to death but I also wouldn't put her above any of my actual family. This shit isn't a movie its real life. Don't be stupid and make decisions that needlessly put yourself in harms way ESPECIALLY when there are equipped professionals that could have done this in a much safer way. People like to romanticise this kind of stuff but its also the kind of rash split second decision that can alter lives forever. Think before you act.

Agreed. I love my cats but there's no way I would pull this. I wouldn't put them about the life of another human either.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Where do you live? sounds great
Great?
What if a situation should occur?
I won't get personal, but consider this:
Your big/small sister/brother, away from where you are, decided to save their dog from their crumbling home. Your sister/brother dies. You get to know the specifics afterwards. Your thoughts?

I'm sorry to you and others for being so confronting, but this means a great deal to me.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The Houston Fire Dept has policy that "a life is a life". There have many instances where they risk their lives for pets and animals. I honor and appreciate this. To some it seems strange. But to a lot of people pets are children to their owners.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to have these feel good stories in this turbulent world.
Also good to see their gofundme has already reached its goal.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
The Houston Fire Dept has policy that "a life is a life". There have many instances where they risk their lives for pets and animals. I honor and appreciate this. To some it seems strange. But to a lot of people pets are children to their owners.
I understand that for a person having no connections. But what about if you were the wife/husband/other?
What would YOU feel?

I feel strongly about this, as you are probably able to tell.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
thats really heroic but, just imagine if something worse happened to him how he would leave his human children 😢 they could had lost their dog and dad on the same day sometimes there is a greater risk even if it was to help a friend, im glad they got out alive

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The emotional impulse in me would try and save the animal, the rational impulse in me would assess the situation and try to do whatever is within reach that doesn't put me in big danger. I feel like both positions are valid, we all are different and will react differently to these situations, depending on what we feel would be right and our own context, so I'm not gonna give shit to anyone saying they'd bolt right in and save the animal or saying they'd stay away and try to get someone else who's more prepared to do it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't have kids so I can't really comment on that side of this discussion, but I do have dogs and I would do anything for them if they were in trouble.

Same boat no kids, (except I have cats instead of dogs) and I share the same sentiment.

The poor thing was chained up. He chained her up. She would have died burning and trying to free herself. He had a responsibility to release her from those chains, kids or no kids.

And also this. He knew exactly where to go and what to do. It's not like he was searching the whole house while it was being engulfed in flames.

He did the right thing in my mind, and I'd do the same to save my loved one. Pets are just as much of my family as people are.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah wow it's crazy how many people here are attacking somebody for prioritizing somebody's kids over their pets. I very, very strongly value animals' lives, but if I had kids, the last thing I'd want to do is leave them fatherless. For wife and I, our horses are our babies and we most certainly would do whatever it takes to rescue them in case of a fire, but things would be very different if we had human children.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
And also this. He knew exactly where to go and what to do. It's not like he was searching the whole house while it was being engulfed in flames.

He did the right thing in my mind, and I'd do the same to save my loved one. Pets are just as much of my family as people are.
house fires can be incredibly unpredictable, where pathways you made into the house wont exist a second later, all while oxygen is in short supply

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Guess it's good the story didn't end up "father of three dies trying to save dog". Your kids should come before everything.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
house fires can be incredibly unpredictable, where pathways you made into the house wont exist a second later, all while oxygen is in short supply
I'm aware. And yet I'd still do it. Call me crazy or stupid but that's how much my animals mean to me. I don't doubt for a second many people would think the man in the op is insane for risking it all, I'm just glad he made the successful rescue.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Weird how many people in here don't get that the dog is family.

Though he should have let the firefighters go in for it.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
What you see as a feel good thread, to me, is just another sad reminder of people's fucked up priorities in the modern age. I work every day with kids who have lost their parents and see the devastation it causes to themselves and everyone around them. It's ridiculous and I really think it has to do with people further isolating themselves and prescribing human emotions on creatures that are literally incapable of them.

I'm glad the dog is safe, but fuck I'd be pissed if he got himself killed doing that.

funny_dog_falls_on_its_back_gif_7549634906.gif

Wolfgav

Oct 27, 2017
Glass City.
Heck yeah, I would do the same thing without a second thought. All pets are part of the family whether people want to admit it or not.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I own a dog and have a family (wife and two little girls). What this dude did is great and I'm really happy they are both doing OK. But I can't help but think about this guy 3 kids and what would happen to then if something bad happened.

Saving a dog is not worth risking letting kids lose their father.

I really don't believe I would have done the same and I'm not ashamed to say that.

Still I'm really glad they are OK. There is enough shitty news being bombarded on us every single day.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Just for the record, I expected the response I'm getting because I see this sort of craziness in almost every animal thread here. I see people who would literally let someone else burn and save the dog first and feel justified. I'll leave this be, but people should put credence on their family and I sincerely hope that anyone who has children thinks long and hard about the future ramifications on said children before doing stupid things.

I truly believe there is literally nothing more important than someone caring for their own children and nothing takes priority over that. I literally go to work every day to try and put the pieces back together from families who don't do that. I really think most of you underestimate the damage that can be done there. Take care of your kids so people like me locked residential settings don't have to.

You're right.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
You may be a shit poster, and joy for many o us, your point here is poignant.
Guess it's good the story didn't end up "father of three dies trying to save dog". Your kids should come before everything.
True!
I'm aware. And yet I'd still do it. Call me crazy or stupid but that's how much my animals mean to me. I don't doubt for a second many people would think the man in the op is insane for risking it all, I'm just glad he made the successful rescue.
If the man in this story was alone, your point would stand true.
Weird how many people in here don't get that the dog is family.

Though he should have let the firefighters go in for it.
How would you feel if your little sister yearned for her father?
It was family? It was right?
Tell me!
I'm not being smart, here. I want your thoughts.
Heck yeah, I would do the same thing without a second thought. All pets are part of the family whether people want to admit it or not.
And that question goes to you, too.
Tell me.
You have a loved one, that failed in his/her rescue.
Tell me how much that would be of just; to save a pet of your family.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't about "crazy pet people" or anything like that. To many, pets are family. It's that simple. You're goddamn right i'd risk my life to save any member of my family, and i'm glad there's many more people who feel the same. Dude's a hero.

Oct 25, 2017
"An unhealthy attachment" was a laughably ignorant comment, let's be real.

Putting the well-being and future happiness of your very young children and wife, and the safety of those firefighters and the pain it would cause their families if they were to lose them to the wayside for an animal, that while very valuable, and yes important, is indeed what I would call an unhealthy attachment. I realize a lot of people think it's totally normal to put the well-being of an animal over that of their fellow human being, but I'd argue that that's completely ass backwards and extremely problematic.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Why not let the firefighters save the dog?

So with that kind of fire the FF generally do a defensive attack on the building since from the looks of it, it is easily 50% engulfed in flames. There is no point in putting FFs in danger for a building that is that engulfed if they do not know others are in there.
Even if they know people are in the building once it reaches that point they may seldom give the command to go in due to the risk of loss of life. Each situation is different. Without knowing how much personnel or apparatus were called for it, they may not even have had the manpower.

Also, that guy running in there, was seriously lucky but he put the whole operation in danger. However I am surprised they didn't have police to cordon off the incident. My old CO would have chewed the police force out if this happened.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
* Feel Good story exists *

People: "Yeah, but what if the feel good story was a catastrophe though eh? Checkmate!"

Y'all being some grumpy old men in here. Its okay to just be happy for the guy. No children died, no pets died, no silly hypothetical 10 firemen died for anyone's pet today. Let's save the anger and grief for the actual tragedies and give the hypothetical horrors a break. Really silly to argue over a happy ending like this.

Last edited: