• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, I hope you don't have any pets. Dogs aren't just a thing you own, they are part of the family. When you lose a dog you lose a family member. It is that simple.

Seriously, an "unhealthy attachment"? Christ!
How does his statement lead you to the conclusion that he's unfit to own a pet? I'm sincerely curious, because it's just as easy (and equally stupid) to infer by your statement that you would be unfit to raise a child.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
How does his statement lead you to the conclusion that he's unfit to own a pet? I'm sincerely curious, because it's just as easy (and equally stupid) to infer by your statement that you would be unfit to raise a child.

Because if you view loving your dog as an "unhealthy attachment" then that dog should be in another home. If you agree with their sentiment then you shouldn't own a pet either.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Because if you view loving your dog as an "unhealthy attachment" then that dog should be in another home. If you agree with their sentiment then you shouldn't own a pet either.

He doesn't view loving a pet as unhealthy attachment, he views running into a burning building to save your dog when you have kids that need you as unhealthy attachment. And he's right.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Then he would have died a hero. And here's the thing: he didn't. His family is probably ecstatic he saved the dog.

On an unrelated note I though you had to confirm you're not a robot to register here?
What is your point here? Are you just trying to appear like a cool-guy, here? Because you don't. You fail!
If they feel that strongly about the family member they love, they at least died doing something honorable. I would feel tremendous guilt if i knew I let my dog die in a fire without a chance to escape.
You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
It's a hard situation. I react on people that go straight in on saving the pet. If you're alone, that answer is easier, I do agree. But do remember, I didn't say I was certainly going in to save my sister ormother.

Thank you for your answer.

Ivylearned that this has no answer. But I uphold that tou DO NOT leave your close family behind.
If you're alone...you're stupid, but you're trying to save a part of you in which you cannot live without. You have nothing to lose; and that is a big dealbreaker!

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would do this for every one of my pets without hesitation

They have brought me so much happiness in my life, no way I could leave them in a fire.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Someone holding the view that a human life is worth more than a family pet's life doesn't make them jaded.

Someone looking at a actual event in which no lives were lost and inventing a scenario in which a child must choose who dies is pretty fucking jaded.

When thing work out it's okay to be happy that things worked out, it's not necessary to ask "but what if things didn't work out?".

So, you expected your post to ruin the sentiment of the thread and cause angst, yet you posted it anyway?

Isn't that by definition an act of trolling?

Indeed. This family lost their home and everything in it. That the dog was saved is a source of joy for them. But why be happy for this family when posters on this forum were "wrong" in other unrelated threads? It's important that he let people know how "wrong" they are, despite knowing full well how distasteful that is.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Why does that matter? She would learn with time. If her parent dies though, they are dead permanently. I'm not even 100% sure I know what you're arguing.
At that age children do not understand that parents are helpless in such situations. "But you could have rescued him!". They do not see the consequence of fathers death because for them its no option. To children parents are invincible, the answer "I could have died." is for young children not believable. For them it is the dog died and the parents didnt do anything.

And the dog is dead too, he's not coming back.

Children don't live in a world where "One day you will understand" holds any meaning, it's the here and now. You kick off an entire train of thought btw: Would daddy leave me in there too?

Of course none of this doesnt mean that rescuing the dog and giving your life is the right thing to do, but to claim it's an easy decision as you say isnt right either.

Besides animals such as dogs are fantastic helpers to overcome grief.

Last edited:

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
I love my dog, he's family, but I love my kids more. I would not do what this guy did. I wouldn't want my kids to grow up without their father.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I have dogs and I don't think I would do like this guy did but mad respect to that dude.

Did you guys watch the last video that was posted in this thread, the news report of this? He just came home and saw the house burning and just went for it. He acted purely out of love for that animal. That's a beautiful thing people. Even suffering burns hasn't changed his point of view.

Warms the heart. Fuck the haters.

Oct 27, 2017
Did no one watch this is us? But in all seriousness, glad it all worked out, but with the sentiment that if you have a wife and kids you need to let the firefighters do their jobs and you do yours of making sure you are there for your family and that they are safe