• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
LbJNHUs.png

A Coatesville man who used a software glitch to defraud eBay out of nearly $320,000 was sentenced Friday to a day in prison and four months of house arrest after he paid back the retailer by selling the items he stole.

Chad Broudy, 25, pleaded guilty last year to two counts of wire fraud after he exploited a glitch that let him over-redeem eBay's gift cards again and again without the cards getting charged. For 2½ months, Broudy went on an epic shopping spree, paying virtually nothing for more than 3,000 items valued at roughly $320,000, according to federal prosecutors.

"He discovered this [glitch], but when he discovered it, he had some choices," Glenn said. "He could have said, "OK, I better not do that. That's wrong.' Or he could have said 'OK, I better let eBay know and tell them that this is a problem.' But he did neither of those. He then proceeded to exploit it, and he did it again and again and again and again. He did it 1,100 times."

The eBay glitch would fail to deduct monetary value from a gift card when a product was purchased with both the gift card and another payment method, prosecutors said. When buying items, Broudy would put nearly all the product's cost on the gift card, which would not get charged, and only a nominal amount on the other payment method, prosecutors said. That allowed him to buy items at virtually no cost.

Broudy bought Macs, iPhones, speakers, small gold bars, and even cash ($100 bills), court records show. He obtained a cotton candy maker, a cordless vacuum cleaner, a brass eagle statue, and a Star Trek sushi set. He sold much of his bounty, converting Xbox controllers, wine glasses, and smart thermostats into cash.

The software bug existed from fall 2016 to January 2017, court records show. Broudy was responsible for roughly a third of the loss that eBay suffered from the glitch, Glenn said during Friday's hearing.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He was sentenced to only 1 day in prison and four months house arrest. Pretty huge disparity when the prosecutor was aiming for 27-33 months, but I guess it's not unreasonable since he paid the entire amount back already

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to judge based on looks, but if I could picture anyone buying a Star Trek sushi set, it would be this guy.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1 day in prison's getting off pretty easy for over a quarter of a million dollars in scam money. I know people who went to prison for far longer just for using their company credit card to take vacations

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
He was sentenced to only 1 day in prison and four months house arrest. Pretty huge disparity when the prosecutor was aiming for 27-33 months, but I guess it's not unreasonable since he paid the entire amount back already
While true, he will now have a criminal record for life, so it definitely wasn't worth it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
51669CaFPoL._SL1004_.jpg

If you don't get all the way the fuck out of here

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I mean.....at least buy a Ferrari or something.

Or buy something that is going to go up in Value while you wait to get caught. Heck, you may not have been caught with just a single purchase.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, how in the world was he able to? I guess he's loaded and simply defrauded eBay because he could

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017

Now imagine what he would have gotten if he was a person of color.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
yea one of the reasons i shared this article is because you know the internet woulda went nuts on this deal if it was posted publicly
Already happened once. Amazon had a glitch for GPU codes, and it got abused to hell and back. Like beyond abused the GOW4 dropped in price to 3$ when it happened.

Has privately happened to walmart, and people stole I'd reckon around 13K from them, and with bestbuy too. I would say ebay would have lost well over 20mill if it went public.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting dynamic between this and say Amazon price glitches
They can go after one person, but they can't go after a couple of thousand customers. The best thing to do with one of these cases, I think, is actually to spread the glitch. The more people who get in on it, the harder the company (Ebay, Amazon) can punish people for taking advantage of the glitch. Hide a tree in a forest and all that.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This is the type of glitch you should do once on a relatively expensive item but not too outlandish (MacBook Pro) then try to claim ignorance if ebay ever caught on. Doing it repeatedly just ensures you will get caught and now have a criminal record.

DeepSearch

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
If you're going to run up the tab that high, at least move to somewhere without an extradition treaty and really let loose. Clearly he was already committed, might as well take it as far as you can.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Should have sold that shit and invested it. He could have then paid the original amount back lol

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fair, especially since he was abusing an exploit in a systems flaw and the age of the person. This will still hurt his early career for sure though.