• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of this kid here in Georgia that almost got the state the pay out $20MM in tax returns by building a network of online shell companies and faking overpayment.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what organization this dude will possibly roll up to. If the man stole 122 million himself, what more is going on out there if he's just a part of it?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered if people really paid attention to these things. Like no one checks my ID at many places I do contract work for. I just say my name and then they pretty much just show me the door of where in working at without a blink of an eye.
As someone that has recently come into the world of invoices, pay apps, POs, etc. I've had to really hunt down people to provide backup on work hour tracking, material, shipping tickets, etc. because no one checks that shit and my company ends up double paying or double ordering shit all the time.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of these invoices he forged. He must have always demanded a relatively low amount so no one asks too many questions.

Edit: or maybe not, 122 million within two years is nuts

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The IRS should do that too, maybe the American people can get the money they are owed from US corporations.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He ran a pretty good fraud, NYT goes into description here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/business/facebook-google-wire-fraud.html

(From the SDNY filing)

He ran a pretty good scheme. He didn't just send bogus emails from his gmail or something, but registered and incorporated a (fake) company in Latvia that's the same name as a company in China, used phishing emails to get employee data from the other company and spoof their invoices/emails, and then ran phishing schemes to get data from Google & Facebook to send those fraudulent emails/invoices to the victim companies. It is kinda "guy sent fake emails asking for money," but... a bit more complex than that, as he actually registered a fraudulent business, opened bank accounts around the world, and laundered hundreds of millions of dollars through them. He also had charges of identity theft and other money laundering charges that were dropped for the guilty plead.

His defense is that he's just one piece of a larger fraud organization scamming people, but his guilty plead was just for this fraud. If he can lead to more prosecutions, then I doubt he'll get the max sentence. The max sentence hangs over him as a potential carrot and stick to help prosecutors.

I'm surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be, that people think a possible sentence of 30 years is excessive for someone who has stolen $100m+. I hate Facebook as much as anybody, but this guy's not your hero

Billion dollar multi-national corporations aren't my friend either. I can't be mad at a guy hustling against a giant, evil corporation. It's largely a victimless crime.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Billion dollar multi-national corporations aren't my friend either. I can't be mad at a guy hustling against a giant, evil corporation. It's largely a victimless crime.

As publicly traded companies whose stocks are widely held in millions and millions of people's retirement accounts, this is the exact opposite. It's a crime with millions of victims losing very little, the damages are too small for any one person to really care if organized crime is siphoning a small amount from everyone. That's, thankfully, one of the reasons why there's a Justice Department ... to go after crimes where there's millions of little victims losing tiny amounts of their money. FWIW, it sounds like Google recovered the money stolen from them, not sure about Facebook.

Also if you're setting up shell companies in Latvia pretending to be another company and money laundering hundreds of millions of dollars to other shell companies in other Eastern European countries, it's a pretty safe bet that you've got some shady associates.

The guy's defense is also that he's not just "a guy hustling against giant evil corporations," but that he's just one part of a criminal organization where he was in charge of "just creating the shell companies and bank accounts." So, if this guy's defense is true, it'd also explain why "a single guy hustling" is going after $100m+ instead of stopping at $1million or $2million or what have you:

In a court appearance, Mr. Rimasauskas said that he had knowingly participated in fraud and that his role was to set up the bank accounts to facilitate the scheme, Bloomberg reported. "I was asked to open bank accounts," he reportedly said. "After that I did not do anything with these accounts."

So, yeah, I'm sure Eastern European organized crime are the good guys, per usual, and there's no victims in any of their crimes. I fucking hate Facebook, I'm suspicious of GOogle (though admittedly use a ton of their products), but it's naive to think that organized crime is winning one for us.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he can play the same game in prison by sending letters to the prison saying he's a judge and he should be exonerated from his crimes. Let's see how good he really is.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
100m dollars can employ a lot of people and be used to issue dividends. It's real money...

So, you're saying Google and Facebook held off on hiring new employees because of business expenses they paid for that they thought was legitimate? And, that these expenses were extremely detrimental to their operating expenses but at the same time not worthy of double-checking to see if they were legitimate due to the sheer volume and amount of transactions they conduct.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, you're saying Google and Facebook held off on hiring new employees because of business expenses they paid for that they thought was legitimate? And, that these expenses were extremely detrimental to their operating expenses but at the same time not worthy of double-checking to see if they were legitimate due to the sheer volume and amount of transactions they conduct.
It's certainly possible. And not just employees... they could've held off on hiring any number of contractors outside their business as well.

Companies do have budgets, even if they aren't policing them responsibly.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
He stole from rich people so of course he gets fucked over. When wells fargo steals from people their executives get bonuses and taxpayer bailouts

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra, where video game piracy is the most heinous crime ever but stealing $122m from Facebook and Google is okay

this-is-resetera-f4c3y.gif

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So rapists and murderers can get out in like 5-7 years easy, but he's facing up to 30 years? As if we needed more proofs that rich companies are above all

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope someone saves all the posters praising this guy when it pops up that he used the money for sex trafficking or something awful, considering he's a criminal and all.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What employee was personally harmed by his crime? And, has Google or Facebook's share prices dropped dramatically in the last couple years? I think you know the answer to both questions.

This is basically the same argument that pinched mobsters used to justify insurance fraud schemes, money laundering through union retirement plans during the reign of organized crime in the US in the 20th century. It's the same argument that Michael Cohen made a career out of when he defended mobsters and organized criminals... Steal a little here and there from everybody and nobody feels victimized enough to care, especially if you do so from people noone likes. The mobsters that Cohen represented usually stole from group health insurance pools and nobody likes your health insurance company, or stock pump and dump fraud.

It's true, most people won't feel the pain when organized crime steals $10m here or $20m there, spread out over years. That's how the execs are Enron slept at night... their companies bottom lines were just going up and up despite that they were literally stealing from the retirement plans of their employees. If an employee's retirement plan is performing at 200% YoY, they're not going to notice that the execs are milking a hundred dollars here, or a thousand here, to the tune of millions... Until the Justice Dept. finds out and wrings them up for 50+ counts of money laundering and fraud.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
To all of the posts like "why didn't he stop at $1m? What did he need $100m for???"

Because he's likely part of a large organized crime ring in Eastern Europe, and he may be the easiest to be brought in first. He plead guilty and his defense in the SDNY was that he just set up the shell corporations and the fraud accounts, that he wasn't in charge of what happened with any of the money once he got it into those fraud bank accounts.

SDNY dropped the ~5 other charges against him in exchange for his guilty plead, so there's a solid chance he's going to be used as part of a wider crackdown. That's how prosecutors usually try to crack into the mob.

From the statement issued by Google, it sounds as though they were the ones that initially found out about the fraud, tipped off the government to it, and that they've recovered their money. Facebook says they've "recovered the bulk" of their's... however much that is.

To all the posts like "Wow 30 years, that sucks"

He probably won't do 30 years. That's the maximum sentence for someone convicted of such a huge crime like this. If his attorney is right, that he's just a cog in a large criminal ring, the sentence of 30 years is the 'stick' used to get him to testify against others related to this. Alternatively, he could also be the head of this organized crime ring, and maybe he would do the time. Single counts of wire fraud, money laundering, and other crimes specifically targeting organized crime were strengthened in the 70s because small criminal sentences weren't capable of bringing down major organized crime rings, as junior criminals who were easiest to pin crimes on wouldn't give up their bosses and boss's bosses if they only had to do a few years in jail. 'RICO' changed that and it led to bringing down the American mob. They're also, incidentally, the same laws that could bring down associates in Trump's criminal circle.

Last edited:

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man. Maybe if he stopped after $1 million nobody would have noticed.

Edit: ooooo

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone saves all the posters praising this guy when it pops up that he used the money for sex trafficking or something awful, considering he's a criminal and all.

Yeah, or that he's involved with the Russian mob. Just... the nature of where he's creating these fraudulent bank accounts... Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia, Hungary, Hong Kong... If you're involved in a $100m money laundering scheme in Eastern Europe, wiring hundreds of millions of dollars around these countries, you're likely involved with some pretty shady characters doing very shady shit.

It'd also explain why he didn't just "quit while he's ahead" at $200,000, or $2m, or $20m... And his defense is that he's a small part of a large criminal organization.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is going to be the most agonizing prison sentence ever. Just knowing that you had more than enough money to live on for the rest of your life.......except you got greedy and got caught and lost it all.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder if you can still try it and get away with it, these huge corporations have also tons of bureocracy

That these companies have tons of beureaucracy is likely precisely how this happened for so long without anyone noticing.

When you have huge multinational companies with multiple layers of beureaucracy for their accounts and purchasing processes, you have a situation where your left arm doesn't know what your right arm is doing and any one person will find it extremely difficult to have a complete and comprehensive understanding of everything that is happening with the company's finances.