• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
http://jpost.com/Diaspora/Antisemitism/Man-who-taught-dog-Nazi-salute-found-guilty-of-hate-crime-546584

(Not sure if link will work since I'm on mobile)

Meechan claimed he taught the dog the salute and the commands to irk his girlfriend, who owned the dog. In the 2016 video, he can be heard saying he wanted to turn the dog "into the least cute thing I could think of, which is a Nazi."

He later apologized after being arrested, saying he doesn't "actually hate Jewish people" and that the Holocaust was "an awful thing."

Meechan was found guilty under the Communications Act, and the judge involved in the case, Sheriff Derek O'Carroll, said that Meechan's calling the video comedic was no "magic wand" to get off scot-free.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Yahoo UK:
A man who posted a video of his girlfriend's dog doing a Nazi salute on YouTube has been found guilty of hate speech.

Mark Meechan, 29, who goes by the name Count Dankula, was arrested after footage of his girlfriend's pug appearing to respond to Nazi slogans such as 'gas the Jews' went viral.

In a case that attracted widespread attention, Meechan was found guilty on Tuesday at Airdrie Sheriff Court of a charge under the Communications Act.

Prosecutors accused him of posting material that was 'anti-semitic and racist in nature' and was aggravated by religious prejudice. In a tweet on Tuesday, Meechan confirmed he had been convicted, later adding that he is due to be sentenced in April.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/youtube-c...lty-hate-speech-nazi-dog-video-145920581.html

Video in Question:

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would say this is too far. But I've seen the guy debate destiny and what he has to say on Alt Right Podcasts. This isn't just some trick he taught his dog, he is a full on white supremacist or at the very least an ethnostate believer

Prisma

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
This is bullshit and should have been laughed out of court. This sets up such a bad precedent legally, not just for the UK, but any commonwealth country. Disgusting. Now people will be going to jail for jokes. What has this world come to...

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Count Dankula is a massive moron of immense proportions and I take great pleasure in his misfortune. That being said, this is still a pretty stupid ruling.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is bullshit and should have been laughed out of court. This sets up such a bad precedent legally, not just for the UK, but any commonwealth country. Disgusting. Now people will be going to jail for jokes. What has this world come to...
In UK hate speech is illegal, and saying to gas the jews is one of them. Only in US you will be allowed to deny the holocaust, works well for the US doesn't it?

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Boy bye.

'Everyone's going to think I hate Jews'

Probably because you think refetences to the Holocaust are funny.

Oct 27, 2017
eh. he wouldn't have been found guilty of this in america.

if that's how the country chooses to interpret i'll accept it.

arrested over a dumb youtube video.
the true irony is now that he has a criminal record it will be hard for him to get a visa to leave the country to somewhere that might tolerate his black comedy more, and he's stuck in the country he's in.

edit: edited post because of merge

Last edited:

Prisma

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
In UK hate speech is illegal, and saying to gas the jews is one of them. Only in US you will be allowed to deny the holocaust, works well for the US doesn't it?

Not from the US. But from the sound of the current situation, then yes, the US is working better. How is it hate speech if you're not targeting anyone? It's a dick move to say shit like he did, but don't get me wrong, it's certainly not hate speech. He's not attacking anyone, he's just making a stupid joke. I don't believe for a single second that he actually hates Jews, and to think that from this video would just baffle me.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dude is an actual Nazi

No, he's not, he's simply an idiot. I'm an actual Scot who has followed this case.

A colossal waste of tax payer money being held up in the courts for two years and now possibly costing more money with social services being involved and a possible stint behind bars.

People acting like idiots on YouTube should face the social repercussions and criticism that comes their way (possibly the service banning them), not the state/police intervening unless there is a credible threat of violence/something illegal.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Not from the US. But from the sound of the current situation, then yes, the US is working better. How is it hate speech if you're not targeting anyone? It's a dick move to say shit like he did, but don't get me wrong, it's certainly not hate speech. He's not attacking anyone, he's just making a stupid joke. I don't believe for a single second that he actually hates Jews, and to think that from this video would just baffle me.

I've seen the guy debate destiny and what he has to say on Alt Right Podcasts. This isn't just some trick he taught his dog, he is a full on white supremacist or at the very least an ethnostate believer

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
User warned: generalizing someone's opinion because of their avatar

De Amigo

Dec 19, 2017
The guy yucked it up on twitter when some of his friends starting going down a dreamer hashtag and reported alleged illegals to ICE.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, he's not, he's simply an idiot. I'm an actual Scot who has followed this case.

A colossal waste of tax payer money being held up in the courts for two years and now possibly costing more money with social services being involved and a possible stint behind bars.

People acting like idiots on YouTube should face the social repercussions and criticism that comes their way (possibly the service banning them), not the state/police intervening unless there is a credible threat of violence/something illegal.

Ricky Gervais aka dude that takes the piss out of trans people

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Youtuber
Count Dankula
Guilty of Hate Speech
Nazi Dog Video

Just no to every aspect of this situation.

Fuck hate speech/Nazis.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Yet another alleged 'well known' Youtuber whom I have never heard of before and he's Scottish no less.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017

Considering Germany has an actual Nazi (AfP) party with 11% of the seats in their parliament, and the entire Brexit thing with the UK with massive underlying tension, I'm gonna go ahead and say, yeah, it works out a fuckton better for us than "lalalala if we don't talk about it, it will go away" has been going for Europe.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How is this not hate speech? He singles out an ethnic group of a past event that was/should be horrific to imagine for anyone alive today.

Wether he believes it or not, it's out in the public which will help other form disturbing views about it.

Some things should NOT be joked about, and this is ONE of the things.

Oct 27, 2017
while i don't personally agree with this verdict, i recognize the freedom of that country to issue it. this is not a case im going to defend or anything like that.

his life is pretty much over now. not really his fault since nobody could have seen this verdict coming but i find it hard to empathize with him
ZXPIjDg.gif

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see how that's a hate speech, it's a mornic thing to put online, but hate speech? Can't see it personally.

Can't believe he has been convicted for being grossly offensive, sets a very dangerous precedent.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really about liking Gervais or not but the police/Government's ability to put people behind bars as easily as this.
I see bars as a lil too much. But dude should be fined and have to do community service. If he didn't put it on YT to spread it and have lil kids possibly copy him I would have no problem. Him broadcasting the shit is worse for me

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Germany has an actual Nazi (AfP) party with 11% of the seats in their parliament, and the entire Brexit thing with the UK with massive underlying tension, I'm gonna go ahead and say, yeah, it works out a fuckton better for us than "lalalala if we don't talk about it, it will go away" has been going for Europe.
Yet the US have Trump and the KKK and bigots on news shows all the time. Neither are doing a good job at stopping this shit

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
It's not really about liking Gervais or not but the police/Government's ability to put people behind bars as easily as this.

By not penalizing people for the spread of hate speech, you allow them to coarsen public discourse and eventually normalize the hatred their weaponized rhetoric exemplifies.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Always relevant to this topic - https://www.popehat.com/2015/10/06/this-royal-throne-of-feels-this-sheltered-isle-this-england/

Case in point: Bahar Mustafa, a "welfare and diversity officer" for a student union at University of London, is being charged with a crime for mean tweeting.

Mustafa rose to attention when she suggested that men and white people shouldn't come to a protest event. This, combined with her use of the ironic hashtag #killallwhitemen on her personal Twitter account, made her a target of right-wing pearl-clutching and hand-wringing. But she didn't engage in that fatuity in America, where she might have just been the talking point of the week. She foolishly did it in England, where trespass unto feels, particularly online, subjects you to actual criminal charges. As a result, she's been charged with two crimes: "sending a threatening letter or communication or sending by public communication network an offensive, indecent, obscene or menacing message."

Seriously.

The hashtag "#killallwhitemen" is an in-joke, an example of somewhat belabored signalling and irony with a dash of trolling. It's meant in part to ridicule overblown rhetoric directed at people like Mustafa. It's not a true threat (no men are specified, no time or place is specified, no means are specified, and it's obviously not meant to be taken literally) nor a genuine exhortation to violence (ditto). In a sensible legal system it shouldn't generate anything more than an eye-roll. But in a feels-based legal system, it's actionable.

And it teaches a few lessons.

First, you censorious Guardians of Feels on the Left: if you thought that the norms you created wouldn't be used against your "own side," you're fools. It is apparently your theory that the law is sexist, racist, and every other -ist, driven by privilege and wealth, and that free speech norms serve to protect rich white guys — yet somehow exceptions to free speech norm will be imposed in an egalitarian, progressive way. That is almost indescribably moronic. Go sit in the corner and think about what you have done.

Second, purveyors of speech-scandals of every sort: you think it can't happen to you? Mustafa complained:

She also accused the media of embarking on a 'witch hunt and shameful character assassination'.

Gosh, really? You mean a joking, satirical, off-the-cuff in-joke can be twisted into a media shitstorm? Do tell. You mean that people will pretend not to understand humor or irony in order to whip up outrage about a reference or in-joke? Imagine. So — will you participate in the next orgy of outrage against someone you don't like?

Yet the US have Trump and the KKK and bigots on news shows all the time. Neither are doing a good job at stopping this shit

Trump and the GOP aren't even in the same stratosphere as these groups, and trying to equate the two just softens the bigotry and xenophobia / holocaust denialism of AfD.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we even know what he could actually face? The article doesn't say.

IIRC the sentence if jail can be 12~24 months.

I see bars as a lil too much. But dude should be fined and have to do community service. If he didn't put it on YT to spread it and have lil kids possibly copy him I would have no problem. Him broadcasting the shit is worse for me

Convicted for being 'grossly offensive' is such a potentially wide range of stuff. More so if it does result in jail time.

Obviously, they couldn't convict him of terrorism or incitement to violence, as it is a stupid offensive joke and says as much in the original video. It wouldn't have been stuck in the courts for 2 years either if it was such a clear case of extremist propaganda.

By not penalizing people for the spread of hate speech, you allow them to coarsen public discourse and eventually normalize the hatred their weaponized rhetoric exemplifies.

The debate here is whether or not the State is setting a good precedent for that here. There was a topic on this forum this morning suggesting we should be more like China online with the state enforcing ID laws -
https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...online-and-modern-society-are-comments.30672/

It's social suicide to upload such a dumb video as this (good luck getting a job), but cases like this are on the fringes of actual extremism from dumb ass jokes/idiotic behaviour.

Last edited:

kazzjot

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People being arrested for jokes whereas rape gangs are uninvestigated. UK police everybody

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't surprise me we're doing the "lowkey Nazi symp freezepeach!!" routine itt but here we are

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Beautiful. Uk gets it. Meanwhile, in the US court system let's bail bonds person go free for killing a man, by shooting him in the back, caught on tape.