• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Its crazy that people are just skipping over this. This is the bombshell that we thought the Guardian article was.
Yeah some vague notion that Manafort met with Assange is pretty damn minor when the dude is already found guilty of a array of crimes; it's the type of evidence you use to show a pattern and all that but on it's own it's nothing compared to Roger Stone literally directing someone to get the leak from Assange.

If the Manafort thing came along with "and they have a transcript of the meeting!" or some other indication that they have evidence of why he met him, it would be huge.. beyond that I don't really get the excitement. The Stone thing on the other hand..

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Stop the petty sniping and focus on the discussion at hand, please.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Yeah some vague notion that Manafort met with Assange is pretty damn minor when the dude is already found guilty of a array of crimes; it's the type of evidence you use to show a pattern and all that but on it's own it's nothing compared to Roger Stone literally directing someone to get the leak from Assange.

If the Manafort thing came along with "and they have a transcript of the meeting!" or some other indication that they have evidence of why he met him, it would be huge.. beyond that I don't really get the excitement. The Stone thing on the other hand..

Yeah I mean I saw the derail but still. This story is exactly what I would want from the story in the OP.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing with Manafort is baffling to me.
Maybe I need to go review the timeline of events, because I was under the impression Roger Stone was the one in the crosshairs for contacting Assange?

Also, what's the significance of Manafort meeting with Assange in 2013 and 2015? Am I missing something? Was he after Clinton's emails that early or something?

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Has this been confirmed by any other news outlet? There must be many intelligence services keeping track of Assange's visitors, surely other natsec reporters have sources that could corroborate The Guardian's claim?

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love seeing his name back in the news. Paul Manafort is a complete fucking monster, and he deserves to be exposed and shamed before he dies alone in a cold cell.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
There's been a bit of an update on this, not sure if it warrants a new thread, but in any case the DOJ has reached out to Ecuador ...

U.S. officials spoke with officials from Ecuador's British embassy on Friday about an alleged meeting there between President Donald Trump's former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, an Ecuadorean government source said.

The Guardian newspaper reported the meeting in November, alleging the two met at least three times, including in 2016, just before WikiLeaks released damaging emails about Trump's rival in the 2016 presidential elections, Hillary Clinton.

Manafort and Assange have both previously denied meeting each other at the embassy.
WikiLeaks, in a statement on Friday entitled the "U.S. interrogation of Ecuadorian diplomats," accused Ecuador's government of assisting the United States in prosecuting Assange, who first sought asylum in the embassy in 2012.

The source said the embassy officials, at the request of the U.S. Justice Department, provided testimony in Quito at facilities provided by Ecuadorean authorities.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-manafort-idUSKCN1PD02B

I'm thinking if there was nothing to this, if the alleged meetings didn't actually happen, I feel like US officials wouldn't be traveling to Ecuador to interview embassy staff, plural.