• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Well actually, "redactions" plural.

The special counsel still holding some things close even as their case against their biggest perp bust (thus far) winds down.

I can only conclude that Mueller's sentencing memo in Manafort's DC was filed under seal after hours with proposed redactions that need to be approved by the court before it appears on the public docket. Reviewing and posting it should be the court's first task on Monday morning.

And redactions mean there's more information they don't want the public to know yet. So, people who think they know where things stand should use caution. https://t.co/ZcBmJy8Bh0

I agree, but it's also possible that redactions involve classified information as well as information that needs to be concealed to protect ongoing investigation. Both of those are bad for Manafort/Trump.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I think it can be safely assumed that whatever is redacted is incriminating to someone down the line, and reveals an avenue of inquiry they aren't willing to share yet.

Since the special counsel recently revealed that their discussions with Manafort re: sharing polling data with Kilimnik was vital to their mandate, I'm thinking they either have someone else in the barrel, or the report will be an information dump of epic proportions.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Redactions mean the case isn't wrapping up, correct?

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
With recent stories popping up like this and in the WP, I'm getting more and more worried that a lot of Muellers findings in his investigation won't be revealed to the public.
Hopefully the same way Feinstein threw that Intelligence hearing with Fusion on her website, someone will do the same with Muellers report, if it's attempted to not be made transparent.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

JUST IN: Mueller's office did on Friday request to file its sentencing memo under seal in Manafort's case. Judge Amy Berman Jackson has granted that request and ordered Mueller's office to file a redacted version on the public docket. https://t.co/E19G76fGqM

Looks like the final sentencing memo will still have public redactions. Wrapping up any day now for sure!

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I get annoyed whenever people report it's gonna wrap up soon. There's so much more crime to find! Why do you wanna ruin the delight of seeing more and more crooks crumple under the stress of knowing their days are numbered?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how this particular document being heavily redacted or not confers any meaning for the timing of other Mueller reports/findings.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how this particular document being heavily redacted or not confers any meaning for the timing of other Mueller reports/findings.

It means his team is still holding info close to the best that they don't want others knowing yet. Its a safe assumption that it means there are other charges, findings or investigations that they feel would be harmed by a public filing here.

It doesn't mean there are months and months to go. But it likely means this isn't wrapping up in the next 2 weeks.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It means his team is still holding info close to the best that they don't want others knowing yet. Its a safe assumption that it means there are other charges, findings or investigations that they feel would be harmed by a public filing here.

It doesn't mean there are months and months to go. But it likely means this isn't wrapping up in the next 2 weeks.
I get that's what people are saying, but I don't see why they should be saying it. If hypothetically Mueller was sending his report to the DoJ next week he's still likely to be redacting the hell out of any public stuff regardless.

The need to hold information close is always there right up until the very moment it isn't and the assumption that if Mueller was finishing up soon we'd have a less-redacted document doesn't strike me as too logical.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I get that's what people are saying, but I don't see why they should be saying it. If hypothetically Mueller was sending his report to the DoJ next week he's still likely to be redacting the hell out of any public stuff regardless.

The need to hold information close is always there right up until the very moment it isn't and the assumption that if Mueller was finishing up soon we'd have a less-redacted document doesn't strike me as too logical.

Right but what Mueller wants and what the judge will allow are different. It's not the judges job to follow DOJ wishes to keep info classified. There is a public interest in criminal filings being public. Keeping them redacted would only be allowed if it 1) was confidential 2) harms another case

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Even though it is redacted now, once the case is over, will we be able to see it un-redacted?

If the material is sensitive to ongoing investigations? Probably not.

The idea that Mueller would issue a "finished" report when a portion of the conclusions are still under investigation or in litigation is silly.

There is no need for self-imposed deadlines as the DoJ isn't working on political cycles (conversely, they work to actively avoid them), and it would be counterproductive to submit a report to Congress (that could potentially become public) that later required significant editing or even a retraction. They will finish when they've got a story to tell.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Right but what Mueller wants and what the judge will allow are different. It's not the judges job to follow DOJ wishes to keep info classified. There is a public interest in criminal filings being public. Keeping them redacted would only be allowed if it 1) was confidential 2) harms another case
Ok, that angle makes more sense.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

southpaw@nycsouthpaw

One thing I found notable: Prosecutors point out in their conclusion that Manafort's sentences in EDVA (guidelines range 235 to 293 months) and in DC (210 to 262 mos) could run consecutively, and they preserve the right to argue for it. Over 46 years in prison still on the table. pic.twitter.com/EyJLv5iFCa

2:45 PM - Feb 23, 2019

Renato Mariotti @renato_mariotti

3/ Mueller suggested to the judge that she has the power to order that her sentence runs consecutive to the sentence Manafort receives in the Virginia case. There's no serious question that he will receive a lengthy sentence and could die in prison.

2:49 PM - Feb 23, 2019

Renato Mariotti @renato_mariotti

4/ He's hoping for a pardon from Trump, but with the New York Attorney General ready to bring charges against him if he's pardoned, it's hard to see Manafort walking free soon, given that Trump can't pardon convictions for state crimes. /end

2:50 PM - Feb 23, 2019

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

Brad Heath

@bradheath

Mueller's office rattles through Manafort's many lies. Prosecutors say he "presents a grave risk of recidivism" whenever he gets out of jail.

As it turns out the Manafort loves him some crimes meme is actually real.

Last edited:

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
myhc_16726.gif

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only 25 has actual content from what I understand, the rest is reference material.
so much reference material tells me they had a fuckton of cross references

also

"The government literally couldn't find anyone as brazenly criminal as Manafort, according to the Mueller filing."

even teh government is in awe at how many crimes Paul "I Fucking Love Crimes" Manafort has committed

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I know that we're watching a live Justice vs "Traitor Con artist POTUS" show but honestly I'd rather not have been witness to this fight.

The biggest irony of this will be that the man who saves America* will be a republican taking down a President most of his friends and family voted for (probably).

*Assuming this is only the 2nd darkest timeline. If I'm wrong and Trump wins re-election, God help us all.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

also

"The government literally couldn't find anyone as brazenly criminal as Manafort, according to the Mueller filing."

even teh government is in awe at how many crimes Paul "I Fucking Love Crimes" Manafort has committed

Aint that some shit. They are literally speechless at how much crime this motherfucker has done lol

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

also

How fucked is an individual when even the courts are saying "I can't even" after looking at your list of crimes? Jesus this story is amazing