• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be brave and suggest as someone who follows his team home and away every week, I get to call myself a fan. I'd happily take a poor performance, backs to the wall for 90 minutes and scrape a last minute winner, than looking pretty for 90 minutes but getting hammered. There are no points for style in football.

Yeah but if you're trying to win titles then you can't do that every week, can you? Style eventually wins out, that's the whole point.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most overrated manager of all time.

I wouldn't call him overrated, he just has a very specific style of play which was dominant in the previous decade, but not anymore. He was also lucky enough to have had the opportunity to work with great players and within clubs that were never frugal to begin with. He has not done much to change his style of play though, and lately he'd been spending insane amounts of money for players to then blame them for not performing.

It was a matter of time really.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Third time Mourinho has been sacked after a defeat by Klopp apparently.

Dortmund 4-1 Real Madrid
Liverpool 3-1 Chelsea
Liverpool 3-1 United

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you Liverpool, you have just saved Manchester United
kQzmx9K.png

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
You can say about Mourinho what you want, but he's already a football coach hall of famer. He's maybe fading now and a maniac but just go to wikipedia or any football site and look up what he has achieved. I don't like him but he really had a hand with Porto, Chelsea, Inter and a bit with Real.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be brave and suggest as someone who follows his team home and away every week, I get to call myself a fan. I'd happily take a poor performance, backs to the wall for 90 minutes and scrape a last minute winner, than looking pretty for 90 minutes but getting hammered. There are no points for style in football.
Even that was not something they were capable of. Ignore the "beautiful" football, even just a simple game plan with attack and defense in mind was beyond this team. Panic mode as soon as the ball went near Smalling/Jones, hoofball into knockdowns to the opposition defense. What little spark of light they showed would inevitably be snuffed out by the next game and suddenly come back again 10 games later, it would appear just as inexplicably as it disappeared.

And the man management...oh dear god. I know you picking on the guy for his (perceived) plasticness but anyone who followed the games knew this went beyond just about the football style being played. The lack of anything resembling a proper top 4 challenging side was evident and if not for Wenger's Arsenal these last few years the spotlight would have been brighter on the turd that was Jose's Utd.

I still think Jose was only half the problem with the board and players being the other side of this mess.

Oct 27, 2017
Carrick till the end of the season, a move that screams 'we are going all out for Poch in the Summer.'

Otherwise why not just say Carrick as caretaker till we appoint a permanent manager? There are a few people they could get in with little fuss. Conte, Zidane, Or Blanc being the obvious out of work choices.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Thank fucking God. unfortunately, I doubt another manager will change things up too much. At least in the interim. It's not just the manager that's wrong with the club. It's everything ATM.

Can only get better from here though. Find a DOF that matches the philosophy of the club, strong attacking football/focus on youth and get a manager that can bring that vigor back to Old Trafford.

Maybe Poch will be that guy, who knows

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
£18 million richer and gets to spend Christmas at home

poor bloke

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the best Jose can do with united I don't see who united are gonna get that's any better. Even with the 3 year curse he's still not really achieved anything in previous years.

Just highlights how great Ferguson was really to achieve so much more with a far worse team

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If that's the best Jose can do with united I don't see who united are gonna get that's any better. Even with the 3 year curse he's still not really achieved anything in previous years.

Just highlights how great Ferguson was really to achieve so much more with a far worse team
Stolen from a different forum:

Too many players just performing WELL below what they're capable of

Too many games where Mou would play insane defensive against 17th team in the table

All his signings would be benched, not used, degrade in performance compared to usual etc.

He has done nothing to help United, no progression.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Good for you, people value different things in football.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jan 2018.
"You've been a pretty medicore manager, but we'd like to extend your contract until 2020 and give you this pile of cash."

December 2018
"You're still a mediocre manager and you're sacked....keep the pile of cash."

What a joke of a club.

Yeah, WTF were they thinking. It's like paying Sanchez a fortune or giving Ozil a mega contract. They really are idiots in charge of football clubs.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Football has moved on from Mourinho. His tactics and man-management are prehistoric now.
Stolen from a different forum:

Too many players just performing WELL below what they're capable of

Too many games where Mou would play insane defensive against 17th team in the table

All his signings would be benched, not used, degrade in performance compared to usual etc.

He has done nothing to help United, no progression.

Last season's second place will be Man Utd's best league finish in the next decade. Enjoy the draught.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Truthfully, should've been sacked after that Sevilla result. Just unfathomably bad.

And as all the ABUs like to commiserate about the clubs failures, there's still a strong nucleus of a team there if you play to its strengths. As others have said, SAF got the best out of worst. A good manager will do the same instead of pushing everything into his preferred methodology, regardless of whether it fits.

Gekidami

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Give Carrick a shot until the summer. Then rather keep him if he does well or get Conte

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, WTF were they thinking. It's like paying Sanchez a fortune or giving Ozil a mega contract. They really are idiots in charge of football clubs.

Well, everything was going well in January. United finished second last season and that was the before the defeat to Sevilla in the Champions League. 2020 is only what, 12 or 18 months way. He's completely shit the bed this season though. Surprised they've sacked him. United usually limp along to the end of the season as it's the right thing to do.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Imagine not long ago we were expecting Mourinho vs Guardiola duels on PL. Now Guardiola has almost the double of points and we haven't reached the middle of the season yet.

Guardiola vs Klopp is the real duel.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
The Sacked One.

This is a shame, would have loved to see Jose stay a bit longer. I do love seeing Man U struggle.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
United fans proving can be just as insufferable in failure as they are in success.

Suffering? My heart bleeds for a club regularly in the top six of English football, one of the richest football clubs in the world, whose "suffering" includes both domestic and European silverware from it's latest manager.

What nonsense.

"You're not allowed to be upset because you support a team that wins trophies and plays in Europe".

That's like when a celebrity complains about something and some moron chimes in with "my heart bleeds for him as he earns millions".

A fan of a bigger club is obviously going to have different standards and expectations than a fan of a lower league club.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
United usually limp along to the end of the season as it's the right thing to do.
They usually limp along to the end of the season because they have clauses in managerial contracts to pay reduced compensation if they fail to qualify for the Champions League. There's a reason why both Moyes and Van Gaal were sacked when fourth place became mathematically impossible.

It's nothing to do with morality.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Next step is the take Phil Jones out somewhere and lose him. Could take him years to find his way home.

Take Ed away from anything to do with football decisions and let him fill his time with finding official hand cream, curtain and sanitary towel sponsorship deals.

Shut down Pogba and Lingards Instagram accounts and fine anyone that puts more time into new dance moves than actually caring about the team.

After all that we might start looking like a real well run club again.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Long overdue! Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back in Portugal or time out before some international management.