• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Note: A much better compilation shot and better researched information is on Page 3 of this thread.
(And then the last update is here)

Earlier tonight, Game Freak employee James Turner (who some may know as the creator of Pokemon like Vanillite, Golurk, and Poipole) tweeted out a few excerpts from the upcoming manga about Satoshi Tajiri's life and creation of Game Freak. Interestingly enough, despite claims that most of the documentation about the first two Pokemon games either never existed or was lost to time, one of the panels in this manga contains a look at an internal poll during development:
DdWog9QVMAAWe2e.jpg
You can probably see a few things that aren't Pokemon today. Of note are the Pokemon Deer (56), ----ro (61), Crocky (62), Cactus (67), and Jagg (68). There are also some possibly cut Pokemon on the right sheet as well, Gyaōn (which doesn't match up with any sprite at the time, was another Kaiju-like) and something crossed out two spaces right of Blastoise.

Now, some people might recognize the numbers on the left sheet matching the internal index order. Every Pokemon that went unused on that sheet turned into a MissingNo.:
054 Magneton (obscured)
055 Koffing (semi-obscured)
056 Deer
057 Mankey (obscured)
058 Seel (obscured)
059 Diglett
060 Tauros (obscured)
061 ----ro (obscured)
062 Crocky
063 Unused (obscured)
064 Farfetch'd (named -kepaan instead of Kamonegi)
065 Venonat
066 Dragonite (obscured)
067 Cactus (semi-obscured)
068 Jagg
What's interesting is that Cactus still has a cry programmed into the game. Most MissingNo. have their cries reset to the default NidoranM cry, but Cactus is the NidroranM cry-type with pitch adjustments. You can hear what Cactus would have sounded like here (Hex 43 Dec. 67).

The sheet on the right also uses index numbers but it's massively out of order and some Pokemon are named differently or after the wrong evolution. Voltorb was 7 instead of 6, Blastoise (matching earlier info that it was then known as Caravaggio... for some reason) and Tangela are 7 places off from where they should be, Gastly is off by 5 (and with Haunter's name, "Ghost"), Spearow is 17 instead of 5 and seems to be crossed out (has the name "Omuomu" instead of "Onisuzume"), Lickitung is 13 isntead of 11, and Rhydon is 18... which is weird seeing as Rhyhorn is 18 in the final.

Final note, the thing covering up the left sheet is the internal poll results. As was mentioned in SM by Morimoto's ingame character, Exeggutor won:
1. Exeggutor: 23 votes
2. Chansey: 17 votes
3. Clefairy: 14 votes
4. --muraa (may be Hitmonlee): 11 votes
5. ---kii (may be Machoke, Machoke using Machamp's name, or Mankey, ): 10 votes
6. --kara (may be Cubone): 9 votes
7. ----n: 8 votes
8. ----mo (may be Poliwag): 8 votes
9. ----ma (may be Exeggcute): 7 votes
10. -----: 7 votes
11-20. Unknown (Tanegla and Grimer are circled and likely placed in here)
21. Voltorb: 3 votes
22. Lickitung: 3 Votes
23. "Magnemite" (This may actually be Magneton, its spot on the left sheet is circled): 3 votes
24. Cactus: 3 votes
25. Kadabra: 3 votes
26. "Hypno" (This may be Drowzee, Hypno is much further down the index list): 2 votes
27. Nidoking (named MaikoM, like the Game Center CX interview revealed): 2 votes
28. "Buu" (no idea): 1 vote
29. "Perunta(A)" (no idea): 1 vote
30. Scyther: 1 vote
31. Diglett: 1 vote (poor Morimoto)

So yeah, very interesting look inside Game Freak as they were making their hit franchise.

Last edited:

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they become more transparent in their creative process because this stuff is fascinating.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I've always love to see things about the development of the first 2 Pokemon games. It's always interesting and so many stuff we don't know. The Shark pokemon looks amazing

OP
OP
ERAsaur

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
This is just speculation so I'll put it down here instead, Gyaōn might be an earlier Tyranitar. The tail is fairly similar, the name invokes Kaiju (like Gyaos), and we know Sugimori liked the design enough to include it in a magazine cover that had custom-drawn theoretical Pokemon:
(Thanks to Catstorm from TCRF for helping me translate some stuff in the main post, noticing Gyaōn looked like Tyranitar, and also helping with corrections).

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This is amazing information. The speculation about the Pokémon that were cut (and replaced with Missingno.) is huge among the fanbase, so this is an absolute goldmine.

Not to sound ungrateful, but now this makes me wish we had access to the entire document.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crocky (at least with that color scheme in the fan art) kind of looks like early Scyther.

I could see him starting as some simple dinosaur before turning into a mantis thing.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Fun fact: Crocky appears in the final game as the old man who teaches you how to catch Pokemon

OP
OP
ERAsaur

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Crocky (at least with that color scheme in the fan art) kind of looks like early Scyther.

I could see him starting as some simple dinosaur before turning into a mantis thing.
Scyther's on the poll and was much earlier than Crocky in the index list. Both were probably designed by the same person, though.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sharky looks legitimately awesome. I can see why they binned the other rejects.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Scyther's on the poll and was much earlier than Crocky in the index list. Both were probably designed by the same person, though.

Oh.

My headcanon is pretty much them designing Crocky, realizing they don't have any cool Bug-type Pokemon, and then going "well, make it a mantis or something!"

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
This is pretty neat. I have looked into the index numbering and how it correlates to MissingNo and all that stuff for years now, and this seems like a huge piece of the puzzle.

What are the chances a ton of documentation is just sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere and we'll just never see it? I never really bought that all the design stuff was "lost."

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't many of the later gen Pokémon supposed to be rejected designs during the production of first games? I'm not sure which ones but I remember reading about Shellos/Gastrodon were designed as first gen Pokémon first.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't many of the later gen Pokémon supposed to be rejected designs during the production of first games? I'm not sure which ones but I remember reading about Shellos/Gastrodon were designed as first gen Pokémon first.

If I recall they were planned for Generation III, but they couldn't pull off the two sprite variations as a single Pokemon on the GBA.

And then there's some folks who believe Carracosta from Generation V is what became of that turtle on that magazine posted above, and also there's another beta Pokemon I recall seeing which resembles Sewaddle from Generation V...

I feel like "rejected designs become modern Pokemon" is probably an over-simplification, and many concepts evolve so much overtime you can't really just say they saved a design and just put it in a later game as a filler when they ran out of ideas.

OP
OP
ERAsaur

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted that everyone was wrong about those being Gen 2 Pokemon. The actual article inside mentions Sugimori drew those for Pokemon (the concept), not of actual Pokemon. Even though all three did turn into real designs in some way or another, it's important to not think these were part of actual Gen 2 (like I did in my previous thread... and for years... and thought the turtle was Croconaw...).

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
All (or at least most of) the Gen 1 Pokemon were originally created via pixel art and then drawn out. So there sadly isn't any secret official art of those missing moms outside of maybe some rough sketches.

Crocky reminds me of the Dark Souls basilisk so maybe it was a good thing that he didn't make it.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's an RPG. It has a mimic that fits the setting. 2018 and people still don't see why Voltorb is one of the best and most clever Pokémon.

(Electrode is unnecessary).
I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as to say "one of the best and most clever", but yes, I've been saying this for ages. People who throw out Voltorb as a "lazy" or "bad" design are ignoring that it was a gimmick specifically tied to a gameplay mechanic and level design, and is intended to surprise and throw players off guard. This occurring in the mazelike and item-rich Power Plant, the ability to suddenly use Self Destruct, and the location being home to a Legendary all help put the player on edge and second-guess themselves. Plus, being a power plant neatly ties it altogether. You can't just ignore all the context and say "lol a PokéBall with a face, lame"

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How in the world did they not go with a freaking shark. It took until gen 3 to get one and it felt more like half of a shark that was eaten by whatever the hell we are looking at here.

I demand to change the course of time. All in favor?