• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2020
mango is serious business guys

Never mind that the entire process of translation requires cleaning and redrawing...literally every single translation is a physical modification of the original but okay

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
First they took away our vagina bones and now our sketched titties. Is there a group more oppressed than anime and manga fans?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
As DJ explains, the timeline literally doesn't sense. The thing they're 'protesting' over was localised literally over a decade before he even started at the company

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
I saw something about this on reddit. People were throwing a hissy fit about Viz's censorship on Rosario+Vampire (which involved adding a bra in a scene where one of the characters accidently gets their top ripped open, exposing their breasts) something that happened like twelve fucking years ago.

Its really fucking stupid and pointless to bring up now.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be some kind of PSA education program on what censorship is, because this, yet again, ain't it, chief.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
What manga caused this crap?

6_brSnKi671g5ZYWvABvtMdOBhwqN43d0vHmnAvKwdo.jpg

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the overlap between the manga fans involved in this and the ones who defended Vic Mignogna is a full circle.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely zero excuse to threaten anyone over this. People need to chill.

If they really have a complaint, they should try taking it up with Viz, but with less antagonistic takes.

Edit: It was Rosario? Weird to get so pissed over something so old but OK.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
It made rounds again on the internet. I've seen people crying about it last week on less savory sites.

There's been like three or four threads about Viz's 'censorship' on the manga reddit and it's apparent that it is coming from the same group of people.

Also who the fuck cares that much about Rosario+Vampire in 2021??? lol

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
Rosario + Vampire, which they drew a bra over open breasts in 2008 for the physical volume release (likely so retailers like B&N would approve it for stores). The only thing he did was transfer it to digital platforms and MUH CENSORSHIP
That's it? That's all it took? There's absolutely no reason to threaten anyone over this.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
NO LIE. I refused to buy Tenjou Tenge from Viz when they covered the nudity bits. Just imported the japanese ones and read the scans.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
With time I have come to side-eye any person with a loli/anime girl as an avatar - be it Twitter, PSN, XBL, so on

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how removing nudity is not censorship.

Not that this justifies any of the harassment they're putting this guy through

Censorship is government suppression of speech or expression. That is not what happened here. This is an editorial choice to localize a work for a specific market or audience. Nobody forced it to happen, nobody threatened to not release the work without the change, the company who controls the work made this decision themselves. In fact, it appears the version with the bra may have been drawn by the manga-ka themselves specifically with an eye toward releasing it in countries less comfortable with nudity. There is literally zero way to spin any of that as "censorship" without redefining "censorship" as "I want to see cartoon boobs and now I don't get to."

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh no, she has a bra now! But I need to see her tits!! D: TOTALLY CENSORSHIP!!!

But yeah first thing came to mind seeing it is R+V (now that's a series I haven't heard in a while), is that I remembered noticing that change a while back ha ha. Depressing to see this guy getting shit on for that.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I think the OP and discussion has buried the lede a bit, this person is totally not responsible for this "censorship" at all. Said manga came out in 2008 and they started at Viz in 2020.

The manga in question that I've apparently censored is from Rosario + Vampire which I have never worked on in my time working at VIZ. Had y'all done a little research, you would know that Rosario + Vampire was published in 2008. I didn't start working at VIZ until March of 2020.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
What manga caused this crap?
Trashy ass manga called Rosario Vampire.
Rosario + Vampire, which they drew a bra over bare breasts in 2008 for the physical volume release (likely so retailers like B&N would approve it for stores). The only thing he did was transfer it to digital platforms and MUH CENSORSHIP

ohzrd5t.jpg

Who the bloody fuck is dragging out Rosario + Vampire in 20-fucking-20?

Nov 18, 2020
Oh no, she has a bra now! But I need to see her tits!! D: TOTALLY CENSORSHIP!!!

But yeah first thing came to mind seeing it is R+V (now that's a series I haven't heard in a while), is that I remembered noticing that change a while back ha ha. Depressing to see this guy getting shit on for that.

NO NIPPLES = OBSTRUCTION OF FREE SPEECH

CLEAVAGE IS U N A C C E P T A B L E

image.png

LOOK AT THIS HORRIFIC CENSORSHIP
What an incredible VIOLATION of the author's ARTISTIC INTENT

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Censorship is government suppression of speech or expression. That is not what happened here. This is an editorial choice to localize a work for a specific market or audience. Nobody forced it to happen, nobody threatened to not release the work without the change, the company who controls the work made this decision themselves. In fact, it appears the version with the bra may have been drawn by the manga-ka themselves specifically with an eye toward releasing it in countries less comfortable with nudity. There is literally zero way to spin any of that as "censorship" without redefining "censorship" as "I want to see cartoon boobs and now I don't get to."
Censorship doesn't have to come from governments, it can also happen in companies. That censorship is used avoid moral outrage is the point of it. When a movie cuts violent content because "think of the children" that's also censorship. You can always be reductionists and break it down to just "Oh so you just want to see titties/violence/read this disgusting book" but after all that's what's often gets censored in media.

The thing is that not every instance of censorship is automatically bad, like in this case apparently, but I get the feeling in a backlash to extreme "censorship" cries of idiots like this harassments group, people have redefined the term to something that only ever happens if ordered by the government.

Last edited:

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Some manga fans are insane lol. All this over some ecchi bullshit. Just get your jollies off to hentai like a normal person, and stop harassing people. Christ.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's a horrible state of affairs, but I can't say I'm surprised. There's a lot of energy being put towards radicalizing horny anime fans and feeding them with controversies and conspiracy theories. Look at YouTube.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how even when the accuser tweeted the original accusation, they clear it up a tad bit before just doubling down.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, getting upset over the series about high school kids, but since they're "monsters" it's okay.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems really silly to pile on someone for a bit of censorship that happened 13 years ago. Especially when he wasn't involved.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a horrible state of affairs, but I can't say I'm surprised. There's a lot of energy being put towards radicalizing horny anime fans and feeding them with controversies and conspiracy theories. Look at YouTube.
Gamergate grift was basically applied to every nerd fandom unfortunately.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Rosario + Vampire, which they drew a bra over bare breasts in 2008 for the physical volume release (likely so retailers like B&N would approve it for stores). The only thing he did was transfer it to digital platforms and MUH CENSORSHIP
Unless B&N has changed its policy, I was buying Berserk from there back in the day. They just had it shrink wrapped so you couldn't read it in the store.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Censorship doesn't have to come from governments, it can also happen in companies. That censorship is used avoid moral outrage is the point of it. When a movie cuts violent content because "think of the children" that's also censorship. You can always be reductionists and break it down to just "Oh so you just want to see titties/violence/read this disgusting book" but after all that's what's often gets censored in media.

The thing is that not every instance of censorship is automatically bad, like in this case apparently, but I get the feeling in a backlash to extreme "censorship" cries of idiots like this harassments group, people have redefined the term to something that only ever happens if ordered by the government.

Wrong. Censorship is government suppression. What you're talking about is editorial choice. Colloquially the word has come to mean "editorial change I don't like," but that's a meaningless and frankly stupid misuse of the term. One that is primarily designed to weaponize outrage against those changes, it should be noted, which is a far worse act than covering up a pair of anime boobs.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless B&N has changed its policy, I was buying Berserk from there back in the day. They just had it shrink wrapped so you couldn't read it in the store.

Rosario + Vampire was part of their "Jump Advanced" line. This was for manga that was a little "edgier". IE more violence or nudity. I don't think they shrink-wrapped them.
They stopped doing the "Jump Advanced" thing a long time ago. I'm guessing since it wasn't shrink-wrapped, they had to censor it.
Maybe if there's demand, they'll re-release the series with a newer translation and no censorship. But I doubt people are really clamoring for Rosario + Vampire. They should really fix the Dragon Ball translations.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I hate censorship as much as the next person, but to resort to death threats and harassing someone? Embarrassing.