• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Top 10 selling series for 2018
  1. One Piece (8,113,317)
  2. Boku no Hero Academia (6,718,185)
  3. Attack on Titan (5,235,973)
  4. Slam Dunk (5,214,085)
  5. Haikyuu (5,030,624)
  6. Nanatsu no Taizai (4,970,171)
  7. Kingdom (4,867,680)
  8. The Promised Neverland (4,246,955)
  9. That Time I Reincarnated As A Slime (3,460,066)
  10. Tokyo Ghoul Re (3,267,843)
https://www.oricon.co.jp/confidence/special/52166/7/

Quantity of volumes published between 20 november 2017 and 18 november 2018:
1-One Piece : 3 volumes
2-My Hero Academia: 4 volumes
3-Attack on Titan : 3 volumes
4-Slam Dunk : 20 volumes (new reprint)
5-Haikyuu : 6 volumes
6-The Seven Deadly Sins : 6 volumes (the 6th one had to days of sales counted on the list)
7-Kingdom : 4 volumes
8-The Promised Neverland : 5 volumes
9-Reincarnated as a Slime : 4 volumes
10-Tokyo Ghoul:Re : 3 volumes (including the final volume of the series)

Oh nice, that's my reddit post you are quoting :D

Here is the edited version :

Last year's sales
1. One Piece (11,495,532) : 4 volumes (~2,873,883 copies sold per volume)
2. Attack on Titan (6,622,781) : 3 volumes (~2,207,594 copies sold per volume)
3. Kingdom (6,184,214) : 4 volumes (~1,546,053 copies sold per volume)
4. My Hero Academia (5,852,310) : 5 volumes (~1,170,462 copies sold per volume)
5. Tokyo Ghoul:Re (5,303,514) : 5 volumes (~1,060,703 copies sold per volume)
6. Haikyuu (5,067,939) : 5 volumes (~1,013,588 copies sold per volume)
7. The Seven Deadly Sins (3,592,571) : 5 volumes (~718,514 copies sold per volume)
8. One-Punch Man (3,223,151) : 3 volumes (~1,074,383 copies sold per volume)
9. Shokugeki no Soma (2,792,441) : 6 volumes (~465,406 copies sold per volume)
10. Magi (2,713,074) : 6 volumes (including the final volume of the series) (~452,179 copies sold per volume)

Volumes published between 20 november 2017 and 18 november 2018, and YoY growth:
1. One Piece : 3 volumes (~2,704,439 copies sold per volume : -6% compared to 2017)
2. My Hero Academia: 4 volumes (~1,679,546 copies sold per volume :+43% compared to 2017)
3. Attack on Titan : 3 volumes (~1,745,324 copies sold per volume :-21% compared to 2017)
4. Slam Dunk : 20 volumes (new reprint) (~250,704 copies sold per volume : wasn't in the top 50 in 2017)
5. Haikyuu : 6 volumes (~838,437 copies sold per volume :-17% compared to 2017)
6. The Seven Deadly Sins : 6 volumes (the 6th one had only two days of sales counted on the list) (~828,362 copies sold per volume :+15% compared to 2017)
7. Kingdom : 4 volumes (~1,216,920 copies sold per volume :-21% compared to 2017)
8. The Promised Neverland : 5 volumes (~849,391 copies sold per volume :+143% compared to 2017)
9. Reincarnated as a Slime : 4 volumes (~865,016 copies sold per volume :+99% compared to 2017)
10. Tokyo Ghoul:Re : 3 volumes (including the final volume of the series) (~1,089,281 copies sold per volume :+3% compared to 2017)

So, what can we say about those numbers :

-One Piece is as stable as ever

-So is Tokyo Ghoul:Re, though we probably won't see it next year, as it just ended

-My Hero Academia, The Promised Neverland and That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime saw huge growth in the past year.

-It's hard to tell where TPN will stand next year as it will receive an anime adaptation in January.

-Attack on Titan, Haikyuu and Kingdom are slightly down.

-I think the AoT drop can be explained by the lack of action in the arc that was covered by the anime (?). At least compared to season 2 last year.

-The Haikyuu drop does not really have an explanation, but I really think it's time for a season 4.

-The Kingdom drop might be because half of this year's chapters did not feature our main cast (the Hi Shin Unit)

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think MHA is largely because of backlog sales, iirc they had a huge reprint in the middle of the year

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I think MHA is largely because of backlog sales, iirc they had a huge reprint in the middle of the year
Yep, that's very probable. But this backlog sale will eventually turn into sales for newly published volumes. What we can say for sure is that MHA is rising in popularity

Also, calculating those would take a lot of time and research. I might do it later, or someone else will

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, that's my reddit post you are quoting :D

Here is the edited version :

Last year's sales

Volumes published between 20 november 2017 and 18 november 2018, and YoY growth:

So, what can we say about those numbers :

-One Piece is as stable as ever

-So is Tokyo Ghoul:Re, though we probably won't see it next year, as it just ended

-My Hero Academia, The Promised Neverland and That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime saw huge growth in the past year.

-It's hard to tell where TPN will stand next year as it will receive an anime adaptation in January.

-Attack on Titan, Haikyuu and Kingdom are slightly down.

-I think the AoT drop can be explained by the lack of action in the arc that was covered by the anime (?). At least compared to season 2 last year.

-The Haikyuu drop does not really have an explanation, but I really think it's time for a season 4.

-The Kingdom drop might be because half of this year's chapters did not feature our main cast (the Hi Shin Unit)

Oh, it was you? Nice then haha

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's very probable. But this backlog sale will eventually turn into sales for newly published volumes. What we can say for sure is that MHA is rising in popularity

Also, calculating those would take a lot of time and research. I might do it later, or someone else will
Wouldn't the individual volume release numbers for this year shed more light on that? I know that info gets released too.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Destroy all Humankind. They can't be regenerated 01

Now in full serialization, this covers about 2/3rds of the original one shot, with a little expansion (ie, seeing sideboarding happen between games). We get some new effects- such as a Mind Rot effect being replaced with a way more visually interesting Mind Warp effect, and we see some expanded scenes- such as Hajime seeing the Power 9 at the card shop for the first time. I obviously loved the story, but there is one part where they mention the game started in 1992- which i'm really hoping is a translation error, because the game started in 1993, and this is so hyper-accurate otherwise, and to mess up that fact (especially in 2018, which is the 25th anniversary year of the game and has been promoted as such) would worry me

i fuckin love this title

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Get that Nissin noodle money, man.

qZ4JCiM.png

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
They honestly needed to offscreen or shorten some of these matches like they did during the sports festival. I get that Horikoshi wants to give everyone a turn to shine, but it's causing a lot of bloat unfortunately and it's also not suitable for such a low stakes arc

At this point all thats left are Deku and Bakugo's fights those aren't getting skipped

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, it's obviously a bit too late now (and honestly the actual group composition would probably have needed to be switched up a bit for this to work)

I said a few weeks ago, the problem with this arc is that the set up is about if Shinso can prove he belongs in the hero course and his two matches will likely end up being the ones most people enjoy. The other 3 fights feel like pointless anime filler. In theory Bakugo and Todoroki's fights could have shown how they've grown since failing the provisional license exam, but we already got that with the mini arc involving the kids.

The only thing I can think of is Horikoshi is planning a really big arc that both classes will be involved with like the summer camp arc, only this tim 95% of class b and half of class a won't be off screened. Perhaps the idea is to use this arc to establish the 41 students updated abilities so when things get crazy there is no need to get bogged down in power explanation.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, gigantomachia looks like an enemy that will need a team effort to beat

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I've wanted to read Radiant since it was first announced all those years ago but I couldn't so I was super excited when VIZ announced that they acquired the rights for it!

Yeah French stuff can take so long to get translated to English, it's pretty annoying. It's a much easier language to translate from than Japanese as well haha

Ohh, that's great to hear! I hope I can get volume 3 soon after its release. Our bookstores here take a while to get stuff sometimes...

Hopefully! The English release schedule is pretty decent at 1 volume every two months, but it's quite far behind so it'll take a while to catch up. Personally I currently have to wait until at least March next year for Volume 11, it's way too slow :'(

Four double-pages in color every volume?? Holy shit, now I'm even more excited for the future volumes. And I really love that the colors aren't like the usual manga color pages but like western comics instead! I love the former too, but the latter looks really great here. I suppose that's because he was a comic artist before as you said?

Actually I just double checked and it's always the first 4 (single) pages of the manga itself + the title page and chapter list (which don't really count I guess haha) and often a bonus drawing on either a single or double page, so not exactly 4 double pages but it's still pretty good haha, and the art is always great.

But yeah the colouring style looks quite similar to some of his previous work from what I managed to find on google (always kinda hard to find French comics on there) like S.P.E.E.D Angels and Hana Attori. I'd be quite keen to give those a read, but yeah, reading French comics is a pretty expensive hobby especially when you don't live in the country.

Last edited:

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200 chapters and still can't make Bakugo a compelling character despite all the screentime and focus.

Fuck this shit.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
"Best written" ??
Unless something changed in the last 4 chapters I didn't read, Bakugo's always pissed or an asshole, he's basically Sasuke at this point.

Something changed over 100 chapters ago, the past 4 are just a reminder of both how great a character he is and how much he's grown.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
200 chapters and still can't make Bakugo a compelling character despite all the screentime and focus.

Fuck this shit.
I actually liked bakugo, well not like, more that I didn't dislike him, until some arcs ago, but after he fought deku he just became predictable.
Bakugo is the best written and most interesting character in the series and it's not even close.
Endeavor is basically a much better written version of bakugo to start with, and then you have Hawks, All Might etc

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully! The English release schedule is pretty decent at 1 volume every two months, but it's quite far behind so it'll take a while to catch up. Personally I currently have to wait until at least March next year for Volume 11, it's way too slow :'(
Oh, it's one volume every two months? That's not bad... at least gives my wallet breathing space, lol. At the same time, though, I do wish I can read more faster. Is volume 11 the latest in the original release?
Actually I just double checked and it's always the first 4 (single) pages of the manga itself + the title page and chapter list (which don't really count I guess haha) and often a bonus drawing on either a single or double page, so not exactly 4 double pages but it's still pretty good haha, and the art is always great.

But yeah the colouring style looks quite similar to some of his previous work from what I managed to find on google (always kinda hard to find French comics on there) like S.P.E.E.D Angels and Hana Attori. I'd be quite keen to give those a read, but yeah, reading French comics is a pretty expensive hobby especially when you don't live in the country.
Ooh, yeah, you can see the same coloring style there! That's awesome.

I had read up to the chapter before Seth's flashback when I made that previous post, but now I've finished the rest of the volume. I wish I had volume 3 already cause things are getting really exciting! It was hard to watch young Seth go through all of that... but holy shit he was adorable. What was up with Doc, though? He got all shrivelled up. Is that his curse/allergy (sorry, totally forgot the term) thing acting up? I'm gonna flip through volume 1 to see if anything was mentioned.

It's surprising (given that this was originally published during 2013) how relevant this particular arc about Rumble Town is right now, though. All the talk about immigrants and whatnot.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, is anyone here reading Black Torch? Did not know VIZ picked this up and that it was already out! I read the first chapter some time ago and really liked it, especially the art, so I'm really excited to know I can continue reading it, haha.

81b7ZvYp78L.jpg

That is one gorgeous cover... Whew.

Oct 25, 2017
MHA I like how they hyped up that transfer student and she got punked bad. I think the author is as tired of these as we are, cause while I'm glad this lasted only two chapters, this was not the one I expected to last two chapters.

Black Clover That's fucking hiarious. What a bullshit way to pretty much defeat a god of her own realm. I love it.

One Piece "Where's your proof?" fucking dead.

Dr. Stone Even though it's done this before, I do like how Dr. Stone structures it's arcs with a cascading series of problems they have to solve. Nothing as arduous as building a cell phone, but it's still neat.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MHA I like how they hyped up that transfer student and she got punked bad. I think the author is as tired of these as we are, cause while I'm glad this lasted only two chapters, this was not the one I expected to last two chapters.

Black Clover That's fucking hiarious. What a bullshit way to pretty much defeat a god of her own realm. I love it.

One Piece "Where's your proof?" fucking dead.

Dr. Stone Even though it's done this before, I do like how Dr. Stone structures it's arcs with a cascading series of problems they have to solve. Nothing as arduous as building a cell phone, but it's still neat.
I mean he's right, nobody actually saw them beat the hippo man. Maybe he beat himself up :P

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will not vouch for Kaminari, but what we got for Kirishima in the last 2 years was indeed more compelling than what we got for bakugo

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing going on in MHA right now is interesting in the least to me.

At least Aharen-San was amusing. She finally got rejected in her "cling to Raidou" plan.

8aGplbj.png

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Haikyuu
All that backstory and hyping up Kiryuu's skills only to become unraveled by a chest bump receive by my favorite owl

Boku no Hero
Bakugo can work in a team. Great. Still don't think he's an interesting character.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Bakugo is better right now. Better as in he is not a bully anymore. Thank god.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Oh, it's one volume every two months? That's not bad... at least gives my wallet breathing space, lol. At the same time, though, I do wish I can read more faster. Is volume 11 the latest in the original release?

Volume 10 is the latest one, it came out in September. Volume 11 was supposed to come out pretty much now but the author barely missed his deadline and since it's the end of the year everything's getting pushed back quite a lot. On the bright side Volume 12 will probably come out quite soon after.

I had read up to the chapter before Seth's flashback when I made that previous post, but now I've finished the rest of the volume. I wish I had volume 3 already cause things are getting really exciting!

Yeah this manga likes to end its volumes this way lol

It was hard to watch young Seth go through all of that... but holy shit he was adorable. What was up with Doc, though? He got all shrivelled up. Is that his curse/allergy (sorry, totally forgot the term) thing acting up? I'm gonna flip through volume 1 to see if anything was mentioned.

Being Doc is suffering haha

He does mention at some point that he doesn't know what his infection is.

It's surprising (given that this was originally published during 2013) how relevant this particular arc about Rumble Town is right now, though. All the talk about immigrants and whatnot.

The author said in an interview that he was writing it at a time where there was a surge in hateful rhetoric against immigrants from mainstream politicians. He's himself from an immigrant background (his grandfather was an illegal immigrant from Portugal) and grew up in a banlieue so it's something he wanted to tackle. He also said he got some of the dialogue straight from right wing politicians haha. It's still very topical today and some of it even feels a bit prescient.

There's some stuff in the next volume that almost feels like an allegory to Tump's wall rhetoric even though it was written before he started campaigning.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reached ch 47 of Slime manga adaptation. Man, what a great manga. Definitely the best manga adaptation of a Light Novel out there and one of the best manga adaptation that I ever saw. The artist beyond having a great art made a great job in the adaptation so far. It's impressive how Slime has been so good be it on WN, LN, manga or anime. It's in high quality in all of it's media.

Status
Not open for further replies.