• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
fwiw i never had any actual beef with ya and the toriko thing was played up. still think theres somethin real gross goin on between him and the kenshin dude (and maybe even oda)
I think he even served time if I recall or maybe he just got arrested

idk since I got the info from you way back to remember clearly (maybe wikipedia has it too)

Edit: Found the info
In 2002, he was arrested and convicted of violating child prostitution laws, including paying a 16-year-old girl ¥80,000 to have sex.[3][4][5][6] As a result of the arrest, Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi! was cancelled by Weekly Shōnen Jump.[7] Shimabukuro was sentenced to two years in prison, however the sentence was suspended.

welp there it is

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
when we had something called WSJ day lol

was it Wednesday then? Or was it Thursday?

then the smut wordplay OT titles took over to the point that I think two OTs had the same title at one point due to or lack of creativity in title making

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Think it was Wednesday. All I remember was that it was the worst day of the week, and I wanted to delete all the Bleach arguments.

It was when we had fandoms raging on which series is the best and what chapter was the chapter of the week
we also posted WSJ Rankings a lot
Oh man Kubo really screwed up with Bleach later on

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if Burn the Witch is getting serialized, or if it was indeed just a one-shot.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Btw, anyone know where Kishimoto's new series is? I saw him mention it in an interview back in 2016.

Oct 25, 2017
Bakemonogatari 19

DtUCuKhUUAAPc-F.jpg
DtUCu4mU0AAZast.jpg
DtUCvm1UUAAF_io.jpg

queen

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Shishunki Bitter Change ch 61

Oh you gotta be kidding me, not truck-kun! Anything but truck-kun!

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I've seen some people mention this Hinomaru Sumo series, but I just looked up the sales for the most recent volume.

Oof. As someone said, there must be people at Jump/Shueisha who are pulling hard for this, because with those numbers 22 volumes in? Damn.

I guess they're hoping the anime will breathe new life into the series.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some people mention this Hinomaru Sumo series, but I just looked up the sales for the most recent volume.

Oof. As someone said, there must be people at Jump/Shueisha who are pulling hard for this, because with those numbers 22 volumes in? Damn.

I guess they're hoping the anime will breathe new life into the series.
Iirc it's well received critically and that's one of the reasons they keep it around.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I just couldn't believe it was that low.

How long do you think they'll keep it around?
It's been 4 years already so I guess as long as they want. I suppose it diversifies their line up by showing they don't only care about sales. And it's not like they have a bunch of hot new series coming in to fill up space.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I just couldn't believe it was that low.

How long do you think they'll keep it around?
The current arc feels like it may be building up to a natural conclusion for the series. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends in the next year.

Though I also wouldn't have been surprised if it just ended after the high school arc and here we are a year and a half later lol.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It's been 4 years already so I guess as long as they want. I suppose it diversifies their line up by showing they don't only care about sales. And it's not like they have a bunch of hot new series coming in to fill up space.
Yeah. Now I'm curious what other Jump series have been in a spot like this.
The current arc feels like it may be building up to a natural conclusion for the series. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends in the next year.

Though I also wouldn't have been surprised if it just ended after the high school arc and here we are a year and a half later lol.
How's the anime? I heard it's going through things pretty quick.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Toriko was great until they decided to rush it (author being a criminal aside) and Hero Academia works well only as an anime
kthxbai

OnePunchMan
please let me see how Garou's battle ends... please...

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Volume 10 is the latest one, it came out in September. Volume 11 was supposed to come out pretty much now but the author barely missed his deadline and since it's the end of the year everything's getting pushed back quite a lot. On the bright side Volume 12 will probably come out quite soon after.
Aww, that's too bad about 11 getting delayed! But yeah, at least you can possibly get 12 soon after!
Being Doc is suffering haha

He does mention at some point that he doesn't know what his infection is.
Oh yeah, I went back and checked volume 1 and saw him say that. I guess this is it then. I'm gonna assume it has to do with having not eaten, maybe...?
The author said in an interview that he was writing it at a time where there was a surge in hateful rhetoric against immigrants from mainstream politicians. He's himself from an immigrant background (his grandfather was an illegal immigrant from Portugal) and grew up in a banlieue so it's something he wanted to tackle. He also said he got some of the dialogue straight from right wing politicians haha. It's still very topical today and some of it even feels a bit prescient.

There's some stuff in the next volume that almost feels like an allegory to Tump's wall rhetoric even though it was written before he started campaigning.
Oh damn, that is really cool. I like that! Definitely looking forward to seeing how the story and its politics unfold.

OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 2018 Recommendation: Memories of Emanon and Wandering Emanon

YbcacRv.jpg

Supernatural memory-passing drama | 1 volume complete work [Memories] licensed in English [releasing May 2019]; 3 volumes ongoing work [Wandering] not licensed in English

The story of Emanon Vol. 1: Memories of Emanon begins in February 1967, where a young student is musing about the future on a ferry trip along the southeastern coast of Japan. On one side of the water, the war is escalating in Vietnam; far away on the other side, three astronauts have just died in the Apollo 1 fire. During the overnight voyage, he'll meet and fall in love with Emanon—a mysterious young woman who carries a past deeper and more profound than all his dreams and fears of tomorrow. (source)

From How About No:
I recommend it as well if you want something a little laid back but still with an interesting premise.(source)

Oct 25, 2017
DthQj5XXQAQ62re.jpg

Ko is on pursuit to find someone he can grow close to get a good nights rest and perhaps a lasting relationship. At the German student exchange meet up he finally meets someone that sets his heart aflutter from just his looks to his voice and personality. This launches an entire drama and comedy filled routine for him to learn more about the expert gay yomogi cake and to perhaps form a friendship deeper with him. Yomogi meanwhile has his own issues that are touched on.
DthTxeDW0AAcp1U.jpg:small

Overall the artstyle is great, comedy is on point, and that traditional things with the genre (lady killer drink trope warning) are there. Ko ends up being drawn wonderfully all the time. He's not flawless and at least gets called out on his bad habits by his friend, and his friend is open to his bisexuality. Yomogi is drawn nicely as well and seems mysterious but nice and harbors some self confidence issues and some limited experience romance issues that make him a great fit for Ko to help him out with.

Loved it and hope for more.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Now I'm curious what other Jump series have been in a spot like this.

How's the anime? I heard it's going through things pretty quick.

some of their comedy in the past like isobe, inumarudashi and others.

In fact, they have. Zumou much like yuna and soma are probably ending in 2019. Even more after the failure of the first two anime with zumou not getting any boost in old volumes. soma is declining in sales for quite some time so it's ending at worst in 220. Yuna is a romcom and most of them on jump don't go for 4 years and end before ch 200

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Oh that reminds me that the latest volumes of Jujutsu Kaisen and Dr Stone are out today. Just bought them on kindle.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I expected a chainsaw to appear in Chainsaw Man, and I gotta tell you, it didn't disappoint.

Peco

Oct 29, 2017
Italia

YbcacRv.jpg

Supernatural memory-passing drama | 1 volume complete work [Memories] licensed in English [releasing May 2019]; 3 volumes ongoing work [Wandering] not licensed in English

The story of Emanon Vol. 1: Memories of Emanon begins in February 1967, where a young student is musing about the future on a ferry trip along the southeastern coast of Japan. On one side of the water, the war is escalating in Vietnam; far away on the other side, three astronauts have just died in the Apollo 1 fire. During the overnight voyage, he'll meet and fall in love with Emanon—a mysterious young woman who carries a past deeper and more profound than all his dreams and fears of tomorrow. (source)

From How About No:
I recommend it as well if you want something a little laid back but still with an interesting premise.(source)
i approve of this post

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 170-171:
Well Hyuse has definitely lived up to the hype so far. And I appreciate that despite Kageura being cornered into a losing fight he still got to show off how much he outmatched them in close range. And him denying Tamakoma the point by rolling around with Scorpion was great. Anyway it will be interesting to see what Yuzuru does since he is the last surviving member of his team.

Oct 25, 2017

YbcacRv.jpg

From How About No:

OH hey this one. I've seen the art around it all the time and have been meaning to give it a read cause she is all sorts of my aesthetic. Thanks for continued recommendations, they're always quality.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Oh yeah, is anyone here reading Black Torch? Did not know VIZ picked this up and that it was already out! I read the first chapter some time ago and really liked it, especially the art, so I'm really excited to know I can continue reading it, haha.

81b7ZvYp78L.jpg

That is one gorgeous cover... Whew.

I saw that this was a completed series, and after reading the free chapter on the Jump+ app I bought all five volumes haha. I've finished the first one and I'm quite enjoying the series so far. I won't lie but the way the first female character is framed and poses towards the end of the first chapter made me roll my eyes, but apart from that it's cool. Character interactions are fun, it's got some cool action pieces, and the cat is really cute lol

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I saw that this was a completed series, and after reading the free chapter on the Jump+ app I bought all five volumes haha. I've finished the first one and I'm quite enjoying the series so far. I won't lie but the way the first female character is framed and poses towards the end of the first chapter made me roll my eyes, but apart from that it's cool. Character interactions are fun, it's got some cool action pieces, and the cat is really cute lol
FIVE!? Oh thank fuck! I bought the first volume last night (will finish reading it tomorrow, maybe?) and loved it more than I did the first time I read the first chapter. Google'd the series cause I wanted to know some stuff like how long it's been around, etc. Turns out, it was cancelled?? I thought there were only three volumes, so I'm glad to hear there's a little more than that. I'm in love with the art, but I agree about the main female character. She looks great, but the mangaka has that uhh, kind of common problem with shonen mangaka and drawing female characters. Her pose on volume 2's cover looks hella painful.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else reading A Trail of Blood?

It's gotten a lot faster recently, and kinda tense. Still not sure if it's good but it's a trip

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gyaru-craze in manga makes me laugh if only because making trendy popular girls the fetish of the day is vaguely nonsensical since that's what's popular all of the time anyways

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Baki chapter has gone even further beyond
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The new "threat" has dethroned all other disgusting blows to people's bodies in the series, jesus christ.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Ippo slapped that dude so hard he doesn't even remember getting wrecked

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I just reached the 1216th chapter of Hajime no Ippo after starting to read a few weeks ago, and I'm increasingly feeling like I couldn't have picked a worse time to start reading this. Latest developments are just way too bitter.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I just reached the 1216th chapter of Hajime no Ippo after starting to read a few weeks ago, and I'm increasingly feeling like I couldn't have picked a worse time to start reading this. Latest developments are just way too bitter.
It got really good a bit after that stuff. Just hold out.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm way too deep in to drop it, so I'll definitely hold out. Getting nearly caught up just feels a bit depressing right now 😅
I feel that. Right now it's like you can feel where it's all going, but you aren't quite sure when we'll get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.