• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chio's School Road 40.5

This one hit very close to home, until Manana showed up, everything was beat-to-beat something I've done during schooldays.
All the way down to the "But what about that one time you made me go to school sick?"

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The gyaru-craze in manga makes me laugh if only because making trendy popular girls the fetish of the day is vaguely nonsensical since that's what's popular all of the time anyways

it's a question of the specific aesthetic of gyaru

i still find it funny it's just a katakanising of 'gal' since that doesn't really mean anything in english as to what kind of aesthetic it is

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
raw hero 1-3
Sasuga prison school's mangaka
Mish mash of genres so far, will see how it goes
I was not a fan of pretty much the last 1/3rd of prison school and just skipped right to the ending

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
Haven't posted in a while, but I've been reading Seven Shakespeares by Harold Sakuishi after the volumes were put on sale for 99 cents a few weeks back. The art can be kinda strange at times, but I rather enjoy the series, I find the concept of our public image Shakespeare is actually an amalgamation of seven people fascinating.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Detective Conan

Sera dropped the nuke, how's he gonna get out of this one now?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Attack on Titan

Holy hell, Mikasa and Armin both just got completely buried body and soul

"Ever since I was a kid... Mikasa... I've always hated you"

"So... Armin. We've never fought before, huh? Know why that is?"

1544149360-phew.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Eren's got no goddamn chill

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.viz.com/wsj-member
Viz is ending the Digital Jump magazine. Instead, new chapters will be posted for free every Monday
For 1.99 a month, you can get a subscription to
"The new membership will give you access to the Shonen Jump digital vault of more than 10,000 chapters! Catch up on hit series like One Piece, My Hero Academia, Dragon Ball Super and Boruto. Reread favorites like Naruto, Bleach and Death Note, or discover hot new series like The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, and more. "
You can read/download up to 100 chapters a day

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Viz is ending the Digital Jump magazine. Instead, new chapters will be posted for free every Monday
"The new membership will give you access to the Shonen Jump digital vault of more than 10,000 chapters! Catch up on hit series like One Piece, My Hero Academia, Dragon Ball Super and Boruto. Reread favorites like Naruto, Bleach and Death Note, or discover hot new series like The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, and more. "
That's pretty cool. Makes it much more feasible and easy to read/reread a series.

Will miss having all the new chapters compiled in one issue, but this seems to be a big upgrade.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
here is the video

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

That's awesome 😮

Now if only they were to do something similar for the Japanese version (and made it possible to subscribe without a Japanese CC)...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Viz's announcement sounds really promising but it'll likely have the same issue of dragging it's heels on localizing stuff like haikyu, demon slayer, and act age. To really impress me get everything from wsj and jump square day and date with this service.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Viz's announcement sounds really promising but it'll likely have the same issue of dragging it's heels on localizing stuff like haikyu, demon slayer, and act age. To really impress me get everything from wsj and jump square day and date with this service.

Hopefully now that they aren't limited to the digital magazine, stuff like that can get added to the vault quicker.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
In theory this takes away one of the bigger barriers which is having to catch people up to a series. And if it's successful they can hire more people to translate more series.

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
I feel like haikyuu actually has a decent chance now that the volume releases are closing in on the japanese volumes, and that they don't need to stick to whatever page count confinements they were sticking to with the digital magazine.

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
Wait, would that include Komi-san as well? Or only WSJ manga?
Its only Jump and Jump SQ manga at this moment...or at least manga that have been published by Viz with that logo, such as One Punch Man, which actually runs in a seinen web magazine in japan, but still runs in Viz Jump and has the Shonen Jump logo on its volume releases.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
As long as World Trigger gets released day and date with the Jump SQ release instead of begin held back a week then this is Gucci. I might even make an OT for it now that there's a good way to get into it now.

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
As long as World Trigger gets released day and date with the Jump SQ release instead of begin held back a week then this is Gucci. I might even make an OT for it now that there's a good way to get into it now.
That's something to, same goes for Blue Exorcist and Seraph of the End, because while I don't read either of them, I think i remember hearing that Viz will hold those two back a week or two sometimes, so as to not have to many things in a issue at once.

...also I wonder if this means they'll catch up to One Punch Man now

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
If they completely catch up to OPM they'll have to deal with chapters getting updated and stuff which might be a bit annoying to handle. By staying a few chapters behind at least they're guaranteed to only have to translate the chapters once.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

For me, I'd love a really impressive back catalog. Good quality old manga are tough to find sometimes, and I genuinely think there is a good market for it if Viz took the initiative.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Well, my membership was up in January so I guess I get to the end plus three extra months, not bad. I'll be a little sad not downloading the latest issue via the app, it's been a highlight of my Monday for so long. I wonder if the 10,000 plus chapters includes anything new, because otherwise there's not much of a draw for me, since I have all the backissues.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Haikyu and Kimetsu no Yaiba seem to be apart of the Vault if this is to be believed.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The Shonen Jump announcement I take it is a big deal in their competition with piracy. I checked out that app and it seems they're finally approaching something resembling an official version of some of these scanlator sites/apps, at least for the selection of manga they have. Hopefully it'll at least put a dent in piracy of the most popular series.

That actually brings up a question I have: how many manga magazines even have official western editions? I guess the ones that are licensed from other magazines are just released in Tankobon in the west or maybe ComicXology has some kind of subscription thing I forgot about.

If Shonen Jump can keep up with OPM I'm there, but that's honestly their only series I'm into right now.

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
The Shonen Jump announcement I take it is a big deal in their competition with piracy. I checked out that app and it seems they're finally approaching something resembling an official version of some of these scanlator sites/apps, at least for the selection of manga they have. Hopefully it'll at least put a dent in piracy of the most popular series.

That actually brings up a question I have: how many manga magazines even have official western editions? I guess the ones that are licensed from other magazines are just released in Tankobon in the west or maybe ComicXology has some kind of subscription thing I forgot about.

If Shonen Jump can keep up with OPM I'm there, but that's honestly their only series I'm into right now.
It's just Viz Jump as far as I'm aware. Kodansha offers many of their series through Crunchyroll though and Yen Press will put new chapters of some of their series like Black Butler up when they come out for like 2 bucks, but if you're looking for legit magazine format then its just Viz

Oct 25, 2017
Please Die! You're A Hero, Ain't Ya? - 5

lol, kidnappers criticize hero so boldly. Although, this manga would have been more interesting if the pages were more longer.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So the parody manga "That time I got Reincarnated as Yamcha" got an official translation that I picked up on the Kindle store. I read the first chapter when it was first fan translated and it was actually pretty good. Though sadly it doesn't maintain that.

It definitely keeps up being good for a while, but towards the end it sadly just completely wastes its own premise. It skips the Frieza saga completely, then barely touches upon the Cell saga, by which point the premise has been abandoned anyway since events are going exactly the same as in the original manga. The ending was pretty disappointing too, finding out that the whole thing was just a game between Beerus and Champa. It almost seems like it might be setting itself up for some kind of potential sequel, which could well have redeemed the disappointing ending and given an opening for a "Dragonball in the real modern world" spin off, but immediately abandons that for an unfunny punchline.

It's a shame to see the premise wasted like that after such a good start. I know it was just a quick parody spin off, but it almost reached towards being something more than that.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

New chapters will be free for a while, it's only if you want the back catalog stuff that you have to pay just as an fyi

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So the parody manga "That time I got Reincarnated as Yamcha" got an official translation that I picked up on the Kindle store. I read the first chapter when it was first fan translated and it was actually pretty good. Though sadly it doesn't maintain that.

It definitely keeps up being good for a while, but towards the end it sadly just completely wastes its own premise. It skips the Frieza saga completely, then barely touches upon the Cell saga, by which point the premise has been abandoned anyway since events are going exactly the same as in the original manga. The ending was pretty disappointing too, finding out that the whole thing was just a game between Beerus and Champa. It almost seems like it might be setting itself up for some kind of potential sequel, which could well have redeemed the disappointing ending and given an opening for a "Dragonball in the real modern world" spin off, but immediately abandons that for an unfunny punchline.

It's a shame to see the premise wasted like that after such a good start. I know it was just a quick parody spin off, but it almost reached towards being something more than that.

It's also like half off on amazon right now, along with a bunch of other manga.

I'm not sure how far you could push the premise. I think they did it the right way, I mean, the premise is that even if you had knowledge of everything because of the isekai thing, you're still Yamcha.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Tower of God 411

Damn, this situation is fucked. I wonder how good reconstructive surgery is in the tower...

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Viz is adding simulpub to Kimetsu no Yaiba, Haikyu, Act Age, Jujutsu Kaisen and apparently the three new serializations as well.

Pretty much everything that isn't ecchi or gag now in jump (poor zumo, but is it too far in). Exciting news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.