• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So, here's a question: I've thoroughly enjoyed So Cute it Hurts, so I'm curious about the creator's other works.

Sooo... any thoughts on:
Uwasa no Midori-kun!
Get Love! Field no Ouji-Sama
Moe Kare!

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Mysterious Girlfriend X Vol. 1 at the bookstore, then proceeded to buy the remaining 5 volumes on Amazon, since they were cheapish, and I had a bunch of gift cards laying around.

It's weeiirrd so far, 3/4 through volume 1. I'm a huge fan of atypical relationships, but this really goes out there, with the spit-sucking somehow conveying emotion, sexual desires, and actual dreams.

It's certainly enjoyable, but man, I was not expecting things to go in this direction. Also, so much random nakedness when I was trying to read on my work lunch, gosh.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys do with your volumes when you're done reading them? I can't do digital, just not the same experience but with some of these series having volumes into the dozens I'm struggling to come up with a good storage plan!

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys do with your volumes when you're done reading them? I can't do digital, just not the same experience but with some of these series having volumes into the dozens I'm struggling to come up with a good storage plan!
I know you don't want to but going digital is exactly what I did. I can't justify physical volumes unless I really love a series.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
So nothing is leaving for HxH return then. That works out.

Hibiki: Shousetsuka ni Naru Houhou 26
This chapter was something else. I don't know why a story about literature is so violent, but she definitely just took a steel chair to the back of the co-winners head in the middle of the award ceremony.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Chimera World 1

FarDiligentAgama-size_restricted.gif

I can't believe that this is from the same guy who did 666 Satan which I have a ton of fondness for. Maybe "world where men get raped and eaten by chimera women" isn't the best pitch.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Knights of Sidonia - all
This was... a weird one. Previously I had read Biomega from Nihei, and I found that one pretty easy to evaluate: it was (at least for me) all flash, no substance. That's what I more or less also expected going into Sidonia... but weirdly enough, it almost felt the opposite to me. Like, the core of the book for me was actually the slice of life type stuff. It was cool seeing such atypical characters living together in a really neat, beautiful setting. Pretty much, Tsumugi especially, followed by Izana, made the book for me. (Slightly disappointed with the way that ended, as there was one cover image that had like, Nagate and Izana standing beside a little Tsumugi sitting in a chair, and it made me realize they made a perfect little family with Tsumugi acting as the "daughter", but I'm not unhappy with how things turned out.)

On the flipside... the action out in space actually felt probably the most lacking of everything to me. I don't know if it was the type of combat being primarily space lasers and stuff, or the complex designs gumming up the works, but a lot of the time, it just seemed to lack a sort of dynamic flow and didn't really do a lot for me. Like, don't get me wrong, there ARE some great moments amongst all that... but there's a lot more that just felt kind of so-so to me. And hell, even the main villain became a whole lot less interesting to me once he became a giant space god thing instead of a scheming dude.

Perhaps the biggest issue, in a way, is that... it honestly doesn't feel all that tightly put together. Like, the Kabi and Kabizashi are just a kind of weird plot point looking back on it. They're a mysterious thing with a mysterious origin that never gets expanded upon, and then the importance of the spears and their limited number is heavily stressed early on, but then they develop the artificial stuff and they're never mentioned again.

Or for that matter, the Guana in general are just kind of... there. It seems like there should be something to the repeated question of "isn't there some way to reason with them?" and the way that they're constantly evolving and trying to mimic humanity more and more throughout... but then nah, they're just space monsters wanting to eat an energy source and never get any further explanation.

Also bugs me: they did the 100 sights of Sidonia thing for the cover pages, but then only got to like 60.

So yeah... kind of a weird series, and I really, really don't know how I feel about it in the end.

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is several bookshelves and even more storage containers, as ~3000 volumes is a bit much. If you can justify it, I'd definitely recommend doing digital as much as you can, and then maybe double back for physical copies of your favorites. Because yeah, I've come to realize going all "I must go physical to read stuff" has probably been a mistake, leaving me with a lot of series where I'm like "Man, I like this enough to not want to just jettison it for a pain in the butt minor amount I'd get because manga rarely resells anywhere near what you bought it, but I probably don't need to own it physically."

So yes, learn from my mistake before it's too late and you too end up with enough physical manga to probably build a small house out of and the storage headache that accompanies that.

Edit: Note that when I started collecting all this though, legal digital was nonexistent, so not being the sort to pirate, didn't really have a choice. Trying to change my ways and break old habits a little now, though.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

I regularly go thru and either sell or donate stuff. If it's something that's still ongoing and I have decided i want to stop collecting it (recent examples: Assassination Classroom, Nisekoi, One-Punch Man) and I have at least 10 volumes of it I throw it up on eBay, otherwise it gets donated.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- ch33

I'm convinced the cicada is just the embodiment of Mochi. Kuki should really mind the time and place, for her own sake.

Dead Tube ch38

How predictable.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer manga in general, but I found the Stardust Crusaders anime to be a solid enough adaptation. Though I do think the pacing of the final battle felt kind of wrecked, at the very least.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How much longer until Viz finishes up Stardust Crusaders in manga form and gets on to part 4?

I have nothing against Stardust Crusaders, but I did already buy it in the previous non hardcover form...

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
How much longer until Viz finishes up Stardust Crusaders in manga form and gets on to part 4?

I have nothing against Stardust Crusaders, but I did already buy it in the previous non hardcover form...
Looking at Amazon at the moment for this, so I could be wrong. Volume 6 releases next month of their hardcover re-release and it seems their up to N'Doul in that...so i'd guess sometime next year going by the pace of a volume released every three to four months, and if it continues to have roughly two volumes in each hardback then there'll be about four more releases after that.

Buy yeah I'm really looking forward to whenever they get around to releasing Diamond

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Goblin is Very Strong 11

Talentless Granite. Should be used to ominous foreshadowing in this series by now, but I share Wasabi's sentiments and would rather not see the dynamic duo separate. This boss fight would be a mismatch if it was just the two of them alone, though there's still no guarantee that their 'friend's' shades of grey will extend to bailing them out.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer manga in general, but I found the Stardust Crusaders anime to be a solid enough adaptation. Though I do think the pacing of the final battle felt kind of wrecked, at the very least.
agreed. pretty hard to match that fight in anime form because it's got some of araki's best work ever in it (time freeze 2 page spread with dio is mwah chef kiss)

for me final battle goes Manga > OVA (why get rid of the road rolla tho) > New Anime

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
To Your Eternity 52
Yes, Fushi gets an animal companion. But also oh no, this hawk is going to die at some point isn't it.

Fushi pulling the old, "I won't kill you, but I also won't save you" thing. Don't think this is the last we see of her.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Kengan Asura makes me want to go out and punch a slab of meat like the first Rocky film did when I was a kid.

Oct 25, 2017
Chi no Wadachi (A Trail of Blood) 1

This is....gonna to be fucked up, isn't it?

Chi no Wadachi (A Trail of Blood) 6

Holy shit, I wasn't prepared for that.

Chi no Wadachi (A Trail of Blood) 9

His mother was really something else...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- 34

That's an incredibly annoying pair of siblings. Still, sometimes there're things that must be sacrificed for the sake of yuri, and personal pride is one of them. At least Kuki's not recording this.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Is Very Strong ch11

Wasabi seems to enjoy seeing Aki growing, though the latter is kind of too pure for her own good, letting wounded enemies flee.

tfwdwq92.png

>tfw

Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- ch34

Seems like Nazuki is a magnet for trouble. At this point she's in too deep to pull out.

Kingdom ch544

Kinda reminiscent of Shin's debuts. Wonder if they'll manage to survive to be noteworthy soldiers in the unit.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha ch47

The obligatory one chapter of Maoyuu a year. Older sister maid has matured quite a bit, declaring herself a hero.

Hoshino, Me wo Tsubutte. ch49

img00021aqmamqgv.png

It's a hard hole to get yourself out of, but good that Hoshino's stubbornness is bearing fruits.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ch20

img00010bmopgobv.png

He might be an ass most of the time, but there's no denying that he's good at reading people due to that.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Hinomaru Zumou 157-158
Pretty hype. Wasted no time before things got interesting after the time skip.

Oct 25, 2017
Seven Deadly Sins God old beard guy is such a weird jerk. Like, I get his logic? I guess? But if he does kill Liz, Mel is going to just freak out? In what world does killing her actually "help" Mel? Also having an ARch Angle on your team seems like a win. Sure, he's a jerk, but a jerk on your team.

The Nihonmatsu Siblings and the Adventure of Wooden Valley Still a fun Mizukami Satoshi story with comedic toying of expectations and everything. This feels like it's supposed to be short, and that kinda disappoints me, but whatever. Still pretty fun so far.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I used to be 100% for physical. Would refuse to buy digital. But then I started running out of room to place my volumes, so I switched over to digital. It helps that sometimes there are really steep discounts being run. Physical copies of Blame were really expensive ($35+ CAD), but less than $10 US when on sale.

The platform matters too. Amazon Kindle is basically unreadable, but Comixology is really nice.

Btw, Attack on Titan is on humble bundle. Pay $18 for basically volumes 1 - 22. Insane value. :o

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once I'm caught up with HxH I'm gonna start Berserk on digital and see how I feel about it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Seven Deadly Sins God old beard guy is such a weird jerk. Like, I get his logic? I guess? But if he does kill Liz, Mel is going to just freak out? In what world does killing her actually "help" Mel? Also having an ARch Angle on your team seems like a win. Sure, he's a jerk, but a jerk on your team

I'm pretty sure neither angels nor demons will be the 7 deadly sins allies when this is all said and done.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom ch544

Kinda reminiscent of Shin's debuts. Wonder if they'll manage to survive to be noteworthy soldiers in the unit.

I'm sure they will, Kingdom doesn't kill characters unless they were just introduced or for plot reasons.
The fact that they survived the first round is a good indication that none of these characters will die anytime soon.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Dr Stone

Ok. Man I really need chapters to come out faster for this. What happens next dangit.

I mean obviously they failed their plans right? So they landed in Japan for some reason (seems like a bad idea to land on an island in those circumstances but ok) and then reproduced among themselves and the village was the result of that, I guess. But why didn't Senku's dad secure Senku's statue in a safe place (or maybe he did dunno), why didn't they tell their descendants anything or at least teach them about some useful science advancements (heck there should have been books and the internet still at that point). I'm guessing some internal conflict happened among the group? Hmm. Not like I expect the plot to be rock solid but those issues are pretty clearly telegraphed to have a reason so I'm super curious

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
...Goddamn it, CDJapan. Placed my first order with them for import manga, as I realized they seem to be the cheapest option currently... but only if you do SAL shipping. So I took specific care to limit my order's size so that was selectable... and this morning, they just shot me an invoice for an additional 5500 yen and were like "your order exceeded the weight limit for the shipping you selected, please pay us more or we will cancel." That's... REALLY freaking frustrating and lame. Off to a bad start with them, looks like.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Dr. Stone 43

I already liked Byakuya from what we'd seen of him previously, but damn it, now I want it to be next week already to see more of his story!

Boku no Hero Academia 167

Incoming Endeavour redemption arc? Guess we'll be seeing more of the Shiketsu students in the future if joint training exercises becomes a thing. Nice to see Inasa get past his hatred of Endeavour in his own unique kinda way, back to being a fan perhaps?

I was hoping to see a bit more of Nighteye's funeral, but this chapter is just flying by. Got an update on Eri and her situation, and I look forward to her coming face-to-face with Deku again in the future. Oh dear, Aoyama...

Status
Not open for further replies.