• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I've been sticking with UQ Holder was to see if they'd do something interesting with Kuromaru.

Well, I'm done with it now.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
A cruel God reigns 58

Ugh, I was hoping the manga wouldn't take that turn with that relationship, but I should have seen it coming given the author's background.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I read the first chapter of this manga called Land Lock on the Japanese Shounen Jump app. The presentation is interesting, it's in colour and instead of having pages it's just a single very long vertical page that you scroll through. It still has panels and stuff but it does make use of the format in places (eg a guy tumbling down a hill). Are there other manga in this format out there? Quite interesting so far.
In terms of webtoons, here's the stuff I'd recommend (all of them are on webtoons.com for free):

Tower of God
Is probably the go-to recommendation for webtoons. Stellar art, weird and unique and incredibly well-thought-out world. It has a few lows here and there but always comes togother.

God of High School
I always call this the Korean DBZ. It's non-stop action with incredible choreography that gets cooler and crazier and more hype all the time. Starts out martial-arts heavy but quickly adds supernatural powers into the mix, but never sidelines close combat martial-arts awesomeness. Read this if you want non-stop stylish hype.

Kubera
Shamefully underrated. It's an Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery, Drama, Romance, Tragedy story with an ensemble-ish cast that gets tons of character development. The world borrows a lot from Hinduism, which is pretty cool. Also excels at foreshadowing and recontextualizing things that happened early with new information. In general, the story and characters are extremely strong. The art also gets progressively better.
Art at the beginning:
nQPz13Sm.png

Art right now:
Y1D4iDim.jpg

There are a bunch of others, but I'mtoo lazy now to write something up, maybe later :P
All of those 3 are 300+ chapters anyway ;)

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
As I stated over on the Discord, here are five Isekai manga I highly recommend anyone read:

- Common Sense Of A Duke's Daughter (Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Game, Mystery)
A woman gets hit by a truck and gets sent to the world of an otome game that she had played earlier that same day. However, instead of reincarnating into the main character and focus of the harem, she is fused into the soul of the game's antagonist, the protagonist's rival, and recalled this at the moment she is about to be sentenced to a "bad ending:" isolation in a nunnery.

Watch as she uses the knowledge from the modern world and her past life's job to change this world set in Medieval times!

- Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite shimatta... (Comedy, Fantasy, Game, Harem, Historical, Romance, Slice Of Life, Yuri)
Katarina Claes, the eight-year-old daughter of a duke, recovered her past memories when she was hit on the head by a rock. In a feverish nightmare, in which the prince's fiancee was determined, she realized that this exactly like an otome game from her previous life.

So, she has turned into a villain that interferes with the romance of capture targets — if the heroine gets a happy end, Katarina would be exiled; but if the heroine gets a bad end, Katarina would be killed.

With no happy ending waiting for her at the end of the road, Katarina somehow has to avoid destruction and reach old age peacefully!

- Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru! (Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Romance)
Felmenia Stingray was a genius magician. She quickly became the most distinguished magician of the Astel Kingdom after her discovery of white fire magic, which had the power to burn anything.

However, the world is in peril due to the Demon King. The kingdom's court magicians perform a summoning ritual for heroes and bring forth a hero and two youths, a boy, and a girl. Unlike the girl, the young man refused to fight the Demon King alongside the Hero and demanded to be sent back to his world. The kingdom, angry with his behavior, locked him away.

Now Felmenia stands before the same young man with her strongest magic, the white flame, being completely useless and asks who he is. It was already obvious to her that this man was far stronger than she was. To this, he simply responds.

"Yakagi Suimei, a magician."

- Dungeon Nursery (Action, Adventure, Comedy, Comedy, Comedy, Fantasy)
Koizumi Takashi a salaryman dies with the skin of a banana. If he can reach the magical Fountain of Purification which resides at the bottom of a difficult dungeon, he will be allowed into Heaven. But to that, he needs to conquer the dungeon by summoning monsters. His first monster was a lvl 1 female goblin.

- Saihate no Paladin (Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Tragedy)
William is the lone human in a city of the dead. Born with vague memories of a past life where he failed to do anything useful, he is determined not to make the same mistake again, and that this time, his life will be lived. But what does that really mean? Raised by a group of the undead, William must discover what circumstances brought him to this city and these people as well as what it means to not just exist, but to live a full life.

Last edited:

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up Yen Press's release of Hakumei & Mikochi. It's really nice and uses that larger trim size you occasionally get from American publishers. Reading it though reminded me what a missed opportunity the anime was in some ways. While I liked it at the time rereading the earlier chapters theirs some scenes that would have really benefited from a different direction.

Oct 25, 2017
+1 on Tower of God

Its very One Piece in how the story is setup.

Huge sprawling adventure with the MC and a crew he has formed over this travel peppered with other people (where some has taken an a keen interest in the MC, some are just observing his movements and the rest don't know who the fuck he is) in a world that is very interesting to the point that you might become more intrigued to follow that instead once the opportunity presents itself.

Also these other inhabitants are very strong compared to the MC and his ragtag bunch :P

It doesn't nail some of that as best as it should but there are some damn good moments regardless

Fakku started a manga publishing company and they're doing Kaiji

How the hell did they get so prominent ?

First they were a mild mannered subbing group :thinking

Last edited:

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
As I stated over on the Discord, here are five Isekai manga I highly recommend anyone read:

- Common Sense Of A Duke's Daughter (Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Game, Mystery)

- Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite shimatta... (Comedy, Fantasy, Game, Harem, Historical, Romance, Slice Of Life, Yuri)

- Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru! (Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Romance)

- Dungeon Nursery (Action, Adventure, Comedy, Comedy, Comedy, Fantasy)

- Saihate no Paladin (Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Tragedy)

Thanks for reminding me of Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite shimatta.

Oct 25, 2017
If you need a Jump fix then maybe check out SuperEyepatchWolf's vid on Jump Magazine. He mentions a bunch of canceled losers, so maybe see if you can't dig those up and give them a read. Marvel at some of the lesser tier stuff that exists in the world.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Been re-reading Karakuri Circus, and boy, when someone mentions a manga torturing their protagonist they should instantly be slapped with a copy of this and told, "if you want torture, and suffering, this is for you."

Not that that is the main appeal of the manga, but it is there.

I may or may not have cried a lot re-reading it.

Always nice to see a fan of this great series, Fujita is VERY underrated by western manga fans. I was so sad when the translator dropped it, but i just found out that the volumes that are missing in english (26-43) were translated in french. Time to put my mediocre french to some use!!! lol

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you need a Jump fix then maybe check out SuperEyepatchWolf's vid on Jump Magazine. He mentions a bunch of canceled losers, so maybe see if you can't dig those up and give them a read. Marvel at some of the lesser tier stuff that exists in the world.

Sure, it's better than the mess of last year but still with many misinformations about many points on the manga, TOC, popularity and other things as well.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Always nice to see a fan of this great series, Fujita is VERY underrated by western manga fans. I was so sad when the translator dropped it, but i just found out that the volumes that are missing in english (26-43) were translated in french. Time to put my mediocre french to some use!!! lol
I dunno, i saw 5 new English chapters added yesterday

With the anime coming in 2 months it will be more active I think, since there is no way they will cover the whole thing in a satisfactory way

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, i saw 5 new English chapters added yesterday

With the anime coming in 2 months it will be more active I think, since there is no way they will cover the whole thing in a satisfactory way

Sorry to disappoint you, but the translator said it would be only those 5 chapters.

YJ0rUt0.jpg

He/she dropped the translation after Donald Trump was elected president.

Maybe someone else will get interested in translating it with the anime, but i dunno...

EDIT:

Are people linking to scan groups? Seriously?

If you are referring to my post, i don't think this is a scanlation group site, just the tumblr of the dude who was translating where he wrote an announcement. If this is also against the rules i apologize. Edited anyways.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to disappoint you, but the translator said it would be only those 5 chapters.

YJ0rUt0.jpg

He/she dropped the translation after Donald Duck was elected president.

http://funnuraba.tumblr.com/post/153923592977/done-with-anime-fandom-until-4chan-stops-being-a
http://funnuraba.tumblr.com/post/173684312872/hey-its-been-like-6-months-and-i-havent-checked

Maybe someone else will get interested in translating it with the anime, but i dunno...
Sad as it is for Karakuri Circus fans, the translator deserves huge props for their stance.

--

I'm looking for some slice-of-life recommendations given Mousou Telepathy's hiatus. Read through Tomo-chan and thought it was okayish.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017

YJ0rUt0.jpg

He/she dropped the translation after Donald Trump was elected president.

http://funnuraba.tumblr.com/post/153923592977/done-with-anime-fandom-until-4chan-stops-being-a
http://funnuraba.tumblr.com/post/173684312872/hey-its-been-like-6-months-and-i-havent-checked

well that's a shame, hopefully someone will pick it up

Sad as it is for Karakuri Circus fans, the translator deserves huge props for their stance.

--

I'm looking for some slice-of-life recommendations given Mousou Telepathy's hiatus. Read through Tomo-chan and thought it was okayish.
Yokohama Kaidishi Kikou is the GOAT
Kaguya wants to be confessed to

Oct 25, 2017
Genos in the Hot Pot 2 chapter of One Punch Man is lol, the best. Skipped all the monster of the week stuff going on, it always feels like the weakest part of OPM.

Metal Knight though, RIP :(

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Faraway Paladin (Saihate no Paladin) barely qualifies as an isekai. You could get rid of it entirely and it would work just as well as a "reincarnation" story. It reminds me of the classic DnD adventures such as Record of Lodoss War and Escaflowne.

I also recommend the light novels over the manga. The manga is serviceable, but the art pales in comparison to the stunning LN illustrations.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That Blue Sky Feeling Vol 1
DkmUn1MUwAAP8gz.jpg:small

This introductory volume does an awesome job of separating itself from characterized BL series by focusing on just one gay male 11th grader and his struggles to deal with trying to have a normal high school life even though he has a rumor spread around that has outed him. Unable to deny the true accusations he keeps to himself in school so as to not "weird" people out. However, a classmate has taken interest and wants to get to know him and be his friend and help to break him out of his shell, and thus the manga launches.

The premise paints a picture of Kou as just a guy who has to stay to himself in order to live out his high school life drama free but can be himself outside of it. I found it to be an emotional premise as high school is the time of one's life and stays with them and it paints the picture that he'd always have memories of how terrible and lonely his high school life was. Perhaps it is great that he could meet Noshiro, who just transferred to the school, and has nothing to lose by befriending this loner. I think it is this aspect that makes this series feel so different than other series. We don't suddenly have the character just wanting to get in Kou's pants and fall in love with him at first sight, but rather we have Noshiro taking extreme and genuine interest in trying to get Kou to experience what school life can really be about. From just confronting him about the rumor, taking interest in making sure people dont hurt his feelings, then some time trying to accept him for who he is, and then taking baby steps that make me genuinely smile and feel happy for Kou as he goes from loner to acquaintance with classmates to even legitimately smiling and laughing with Noshiro, it becomes a sweet story. Further, it is awesome seeing how Kou starts to let Noshiro come into his life ever closer, though it isn't immediate, and it isn't without taking a few steps back, but rather its calculated and done with concern for protecting Noshiro from some of the rumors and treatment Kou has faced. This ultimately leads to our favorite friend in storytelling, "Miss Understanding," to rear her head in full form to lead to tears. However, things resolve with some outside help and some realization for Noshiro that he is experiencing the rises and falls of having a best friendship going on.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So I'm reading Attack on Titan and just past the twist/basement. Smh this is racist af lmao.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Hinomaru Zumou 202-204

For the first time ever the scans caught. Man the author really went the whole hog for this one poured his soul right into it. Probably the best depicted relationship I've seen in Jump.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm two volumes away from catching up on My Hero Academia. Is it true I can subscribe to Weekly Shonen Jump on Comixology and will get the new chapters so as to not have to wait two months for a new volume from here on?

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the villains are racists towards a race of people in universe... that doesn't make the series racist.

He means because of the analogs it makes towards the Holocaust, which I would say is also not racists because at no point does it ever try and say Nazi Germany might have been the good guys or something. Like maybe it does if you actually believe what they're saying in which case, why are you believing Nazis? Like I have no idea who started this idea but I am honestly shocked at how many people have latched onto. Like come on, read between the lines here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm two volumes away from catching up on My Hero Academia. Is it true I can subscribe to Weekly Shonen Jump on Comixology and will get the new chapters so as to not have to wait two months for a new volume from here on?

If you subscribe to shonen jump you'll get last weeks chapter and all chapters going forward along with weekly chapters of one piece, dr stone, black clover, we never learn, food wars. You'll also get monthly chapters of boruto, seraph of the end, blue exorcist; and ygo arc v. You can only buy back issues up to 4 weeks iirc so it won't help you with the gap between where you are and current, but it'll at least give you an easy anchor spot if you do subscribe for when the volumes catch up to last weeks chapter.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
He means because of the analogs it makes towards the Holocaust, which I would say is also not racists because at no point does it ever try and say Nazi Germany might have been the good guys or something. Like maybe it does if you actually believe what they're saying in which case, why are you believing Nazis? Like I have no idea who started this idea but I am honestly shocked at how many people have latched onto. Like come on, read between the lines here.
It's kinda sketchy if only because the Eldans are capable of turning titans.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

True, but the series makes it clear the Marleans mostly keep the situation the way it is so they can use titans for their military efforts. The racism, fear tactics, and in universe propaganda seem like a front to hide their power hungry nature.

I also think it's why the series is heading for a full geass style ending where Eren/Zeke become the ultimate evil the whole world has to work together to stop, in turn freeing thr Eldieans from their cycle of being either conqueors or slaves.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but just because they're capable doesn't mean they're evil. If anything, it should make you more sympathetic to them because they're always turned into titans against their will, either being used as fodder for war or as punishment for things outside of their control. If anything the horrible old world fear everyone has of them is a great analogy for how long anti-Semitism has persisted in history and how people have used a narrative of Jewish people being evil to justify their inhumane cruelty to them despite the fact they had no control over any of that. Like seriously, this is a bad reading of the text. This ain't Terraformars here, the author clearly knows what they're trying to say and its not "Eh, maybe the Nazi's had a bit of a point" or something.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but just because they're capable doesn't mean they're evil. If anything, it should make you more sympathetic to them because they're always turned into titans against their will, either being used as fodder for war or as punishment for things outside of their control. If anything the horrible old world fear everyone has of them is a great analogy for how long anti-Semitism has persisted in history and how people have used a narrative of Jewish people being evil to justify their inhumane cruelty to them despite the fact they had no control over any of that. Like seriously, this is a bad reading of the text. This ain't Terraformars here, the author clearly knows what they're trying to say and its not "Eh, maybe the Nazi's had a bit of a point" or something.
The problem is that the rest of the world has an actual justification for their actions here, even if it is massively racist. The Eldans were conquerors and human weapons, so they're being treated in the way they are. That makes sense, where it goes way too far are the holocaust parallels. Like, the only reason the parallel works in X-Men is simply because 99.9% of mutant powers are completely fucking useless and are shit like scales or extra eyes or some other useless crap.

Like, I know the author isn't a Nazi or anything, but it just feels like they didn't put nearly enough thought into the parallel they're drawing here and why it might be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.