• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all got any good Manwha recommendations?
Tower of God is a popular one. It's on its 3rd season right now so you'd have a lot to catch up on.
18215802.jpg

Trace was also one of my first webtoons and still holds up incredibly well today
33891l.jpg

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finished The Summit of the Gods volume 1. The art was really good here. Full shots of mountain faces.

Had this book in my closet for so many years. Not sure if I can even find any more volumes of it.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Destroy all of Humanity. They can't be Regenerated 7
D9L_xKoWwAEMmzf.png
D9L_zESWwAAZ70W.png
D9MAHfzXYAEKvkv.png

Find yourself a girl who can complete your BFM
My favorite chapter so far- we get a tease that the "end of humanity" event they have been teasing might be El Nino, we get to see a Daisuke Matsuzaka high school game (which I googled to make sure worked in the timeline and of course it does), we got translator notes that are paragraphs long because of how specific references are in this... basically, it's perfect and I love these two so much

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Just read the first two chapters, and wanna thank you guys already for mentioning it lol.

It's definitely flying under the radar.
Yessssss!! So glad you gave it a try! It only gets better, truly. My favorite manga in a long time.

Everyone else who's interested in checking it out: The whole series is available on the Manga Plus app by Shueisha for free, legally, with a really good translation.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Yessssss!! So glad you gave it a try! It only gets better, truly. My favorite manga in a long time.

Everyone else who's interested in checking it out: The whole series is available on the Manga Plus app by Shueisha for free, legally, with a really good translation.
Shit! The whole thing? I thought only the first few and last couple were available. Jumping on that right now if that's not the case, been meaning to read this series for a while now.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

Btw, I'm still not sure about his connection to Miura, but I did find that he was an assistant on Fire Punch for Fujimoto (who's currently doing Chainsaw Man).

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Shit! The whole thing? I thought only the first few and last couple were available. Jumping on that right now if that's not the case, been meaning to read this series for a while now.

Yeah! They released the whole thing! Shueisha has been doing that more. Which is, like, the obvious right thing to do. You couldn't even buy those chapters anywhere in English so they were just forcing people back to the pirated sources. Which sucks because the translation for Hell's Paradise is really good. I compared it to the fan translated one out of curiosity and hooooo boy was there a difference.

International manga publishers need to get their acts together. They're starting to (with the Shonen Jump subscription and Manga Plus) but there's a long way to go. The reason people turn to fan translations isn't primarily because they're free, imo, it's because they're available. I desperately want to support manga creators while staying current on their work, but often there simply isn't the option.

Btw, I'm still not sure about his connection to Miura, but I did find that he was an assistant on Fire Punch for Fujimoto (who's currently doing Chainsaw Man).

I read that interview you posted (which was cool -- thanks for sharing!) and then read the one where Fujimoto speaks at length about Yuji Kaku's work and their relationship. I didn't know exactly what their connection was, but it was clear that they were close and helped each other as artists. Fujimoto also did fan art of Sagiri which, honestly, just looks like a Chainsaw Man character, hahahaha.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Tower of God is a popular one. It's on its 3rd season right now so you'd have a lot to catch up on.
18215802.jpg

Trace was also one of my first webtoons and still holds up incredibly well today
33891l.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation.

I have to say I really do enjoy the martial arts/fighting manwha. So far I'm reading this one series called Solo Leveling and it's quite entertaining. I really enjoy how the Mc has become a anti-hero of some sort.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation.

I have to say I really do enjoy the martial arts/fighting manwha. So far I'm reading this one series called Solo Leveling and it's quite entertaining. I really enjoy how the Mc has become a anti-hero of some sort.
Oh, cool! Then maybe you'd like Peerless Dad. It has very good fight scenes, although the MC stays a pretty good guy throughout.
rROHYYKHa8HpjiL1jmivebV1AUazr5kSoAtrEgDcAy0X3bua9S1Xfe-W266WG4CLgb7XvnCexTF.jpg

And there's also Yongbi and its somewhat unrelated sequel Gosu which are pretty much love letters to martial art fans. Yongbi is a regular manwha though, and Gosu is a webtoon (so it's in color). They both have more chaotic neutral characters, and good fight scenes almost each chapter.
yongbi-bulpae-oejeon-11736337.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad 3

Really amazing chapter especially the elevator scene.

The sci-fi x ninja action is amazing.

Beast Children 4

D9OK0ZNXkAAcayB.jpg

Coolest panel yet, also love this rugby manga a ton.

So much heart. I teared up again.

Last edited:

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, cool! Then maybe you'd like Peerless Dad. It has very good fight scenes, although the MC stays a pretty good guy throughout.
rROHYYKHa8HpjiL1jmivebV1AUazr5kSoAtrEgDcAy0X3bua9S1Xfe-W266WG4CLgb7XvnCexTF.jpg

And there's also Yongbi and its somewhat unrelated sequel Gosu which are pretty much love letters to martial art fans. Yongbi is a regular manwha though, and Gosu is a webtoon (so it's in color). They both have more chaotic neutral characters, and good fight scenes almost each chapter.
yongbi-bulpae-oejeon-11736337.jpg

Sounds really good, thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
BLack Clover 209

Cool and epic 13 page chapter and two page spreads. I love how YunoAsta both bounce back up and Nero is there praying and hoping for Asta to win.

Samurai 8 chp 6

Yawn, another series with a guy savings the weak helpless princess. Wheres the samurai saving his weak wimpy prince. Missed opportunity to be different and unique Kishimoto. Give me the story I crave.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spy x Family 07

Continues to be wholesome as hell. And how long is this plan in motion? The Imperial Scholars seems to be of high school age and the school hosts kids from 6 years to 18 years. I wonder if a time skip is to be expected.

Last edited:

Allaur

Oct 30, 2017
Spy x Family 07

Continues to be wholesome as hell. And how long is this plan in motion? The Imperial Scholars seems to be of high school age and the school hosts kids from 6 years or 18 years. I wonder if a time skip is to be expected.

Timeskip wouldn't work here. Main storyline is about how from fake family they turn into real family. If timeskip is 5 years and their relationship hasn't changed - it'll look bad.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Timeskip wouldn't work here. Main storyline is about how from fake family they turn into real family. If timeskip is 5 years and their relationship hasn't changed - it'll look bad.
I was thinking that as well, which why Anna becoming a part of this Imperial Scholars group through me for a loop. I guessing they'll just have any age of kids be able to join it.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yui Kamio Lets Loose chapter 14 - I figured this would happen: with the series not doing so well, this series is basically turning into Nurarihyon no Mago / Nura again. Well, at least it's actually interesting now, with some neat creepy imagery.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Gotta agree with MHA, villains was a slow start but it's the most interesting it's been in a long time.

Just hoping he doesn't drop yet another thread because I've been burned too many times by things going nowhere.

Also slowly catching up with Kimetsu no Yaiba, I just love pretty much every character in it

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that as well, which why Anna becoming a part of this Imperial Scholars group through me for a loop. I guessing they'll just have any age of kids be able to join it.
Well I can see this arc possibly taking a few years at least. The merit/demerit system screams that we will be getting 7 bolts before 8 stars.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Dotei Yankee Magicus 01-03

The first page of the manga informs us that if you are a virgin at age 20, you might be able to start using magic. We then cut to Tatsuya, walking home from the convience store alone, counting down the seconds to his 20th birthday. Then, a talking cat appears, and transforms him into a beautiful idol, who exerts pheramones to all nearby men, and he can only transform back to his original body by _______. You see, the talking cat is actually an alien, and while he claims he needs ________ to be able to return home, he actually has entered Tatsuya into a world of Mage Battles with virgins who have formed bonds with talking cats.

I was shocked at how explicit this was based on where I read it.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 152

What i wanted: Prez and Kaguya being cute and lovey dovey
What I got: Prez and Kaguya being cute and lovey dovey. And also yuri. And also ishimiko. And also Kashiwagi's true power???

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 152

Prez copying Kei's stretching habit in the background.

It seems we're going to get three flashback chapters, one of them from Tsubame's perspective? I'm really looking forward to finally getting to the Ishimiko situation, and to Hayasaka and Fujiwara getting some more attention.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 152
Why, after so many romantic scenes between Shirogane and Kaguya who finally found happiness, do we see a poor Maki who does not what happiness is while looking at Ishigami and Iino? It is so cruel.
Anyway, I am excited for all these incoming flashbacks!
PS Kashiwagi best character of the chapter!

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 90
The way the author is portraying Yostuba makes me sympathize with her, after that she has not been one of my favourite quintuplets until now. Everything is explained now and everything is also coherent, from the fact that she knew Fuutarou's name (I re-read that part of the chapter and she lied about having discovered the name from his exam's results) to why in the beginning of the series she helped him to make her sister accept Fuutarou as a tutor.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 152

Nice set up chapter for what seems like it's going to be a pretty significant flashback arc. I'm coo with Prez and Kaguya taking a back seat for a while since they were pretty much the only players in the last arc.

5toubun 90

Dammit, I think I might be on the Yotsuba train now. Still think Itsuki is going to win the whole thing, but I'm really hoping I'm wrong. I at least want Yotsuba to stop sacrificing her own happiness for others by the end of the series.

5toubun 90
The way the author is portraying Yostuba makes me sympathize with her, after that she has not been one of my favourite quintuplets until now. Everything is explained now and everything is also coherent, from the fact that she knew Fuutarou's name (I re-read that part of the chapter and she lied about having discovered the name from his exam's results) to why in the beginning of the series she helped him to make her sister accept Fuutarou as a tutor.

My only problem is that they keep saying that Yotsuba is bad at lying when she's been doing it from the first chapter. She's clearly better at it than the story wants to state.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always recommend Bastard by Youngchan Hwang and Carnby Kim. I'd also throw in their current work, Sweet Home which is one of my current favorite ongoing pieces of fiction.
bastardwebcomicreview2.jpg

d7a68a536b9ebda5e14863ac4a20c94f.png

They're both very thrillery, with Bastard focusing on suspense and Sweet Home more on action and horror. They way the artist plays with the format of a scroll webcomic is just incredible. Bastard is also very short and Sweet Home only has like 70 chapters out, so it's not a massive time sink like some other webcomics. I don't want to talk at all about their stories as the first chapters of each are very easy to spoil but do a good job of setting up what they're about. They're both free on webtoon.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
5toubun 90

Dammit, I think I might be on the Yotsuba train now. Still think Itsuki is going to win the whole thing, but I'm really hoping I'm wrong. I at least want Yotsuba to stop sacrificing her own happiness for others by the end of the series.

My only problem is that they keep saying that Yotsuba is bad at lying when she's been doing it from the first chapter. She's clearly better at it than the story wants to state.
Itsuki is definitely in a weird place after learning that Yotsuba made her dress up as Reina. Her doing that of her own feelings to help Fuutarou would have been a big power play. So there's going to have to be a speedrun to feelings arc for her if she is going to win after this since she dosent have the whole manga to build off of like Yotsuba did.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Itsuki is definitely in a weird place after learning that Yotsuba made her dress up as Reina. Her doing that of her own feelings to help Fuutarou would have been a big power play. So there's going to have to be a speedrun to feelings arc for her if she is going to win after this since she dosent have the whole manga to build off of like Yotsuba did.
I'm just so used to the "main/first girl" winning harem series, that I'm just assuming Itsuki wins the whole thing. There's been interviews saying that the author deliberately set up Itsuki to be the "main girl" in the first few chapters, but I'm still just going to assume she's going to win the whole thing.

I will say that this is the first harem I've followed where it's not super blatant what the endgame is. Still not sure how Nisekoi and Oreimo managed to fool people. It was in the title of each series for crying out loud.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yes, but she is clearly lying and suppressing her feelings because in the past she wanted to be the best quintuplet and, as a consequence, at the end she because she cause of the school transfer; now she doesn't want to be better than her sisters anymore and she is lying for their benefits, not for hers.

I will say that this is the first harem I've followed where it's not super blatant what the endgame is. Still not sure how Nisekoi and Oreimo managed to fool people. It was in the title of each series for crying out loud.
At the moment, there is also We Can't Study/We Never Learn where it is not so clear who will be the end girl, since many possibilities are still open, except for maybe a pair of them.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
How they're gonna handle Itsuki is going to be interesting.

She hasn't really had any character growth and feels more like a side character than anything else. Her only major plot point is being arguably first girl and helping and supporting Yotsuba. Nothing in the series has shown she even likes Fuutarou. She wasn't even part of the Kyoto arc at all.

She's my least favorite so if the author decide to dump her arc, I wouldn't be upset.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Really enjoying Solo Levelling of late. It's some really dumb Shounen-type shit, but it's excellent at what it does. Though:
The end of the Web novel is a bit of a wet fart, so feel free to drop this any time after the American Arc (as the arcs leading up to it are straight amazing). We're probably 70+ chapters away from that point in the WN though. So we've got time yet.
I'll also second Peerless Dad an and an additional recommendation for Scholar's Reincarnation, the art's a little rougher than most Manwha but I really enjoy the story and its central theme.

Is Tokyo GHoul and RE worth reading? Not particularly a big shonen guy, but several people have recommended it to me.
Tokyo Ghoul is a solid 8.5/9 out of 10.
Tokyo Ghoul :re on the other hand is more like a 7 out of 10 (and that's me being kind). Apart from a few chapters near the end which are 11 out of 10 (anyone who's read the series knows the ones I mean).

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the moment, there is also We Can't Study/We Never Learn where it is not so clear who will be the end girl, since many possibilities are still open, except for maybe a pair of them.
Eh, I feel Fumino is the obvious endgame. Rather the series have balls and go for sensei end though. Senpai is also acceptable although her schtick gold old ages ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Seven Deadly Sins Man it sure would have been fun if they made Ellie this cool before the final showdown. Also why cut to this boring ass monster? Who cares about this fight?

Kaguya I am so curious what the hell happened.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Mieruko-chan 1-12

RbFXP7X.png

So weird and creepy. I don't know how this girl deals with it. Like seriously. Some of the things she does to get by...

It seems this actually has some kind of plot? I feel sorry for the girl and hope for the best. It's interesting though? Not sure if it's Japanese superstition in particular or Eastern, but it deals with apparitions like the Monogatari series. In the sense that if you acknowledge it, you acknowledge its existence into the physical realm. A concept which is pretty fascinating.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't Rustle My Jimmies, Nagatoro 39

Yeah, they don't stand a chance against President in the cultural festival if she's willing to display nude self-portraits at a school art gallery. The Pres is probably the obvious or too serious type, but it would be funny if she was just a pervert or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.