• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if OEL count for this thread, but quoting myself from the MLP season 9 thread
MLP: The Manga: A Day in the Life of Equestria Volume 1
This was a ton of fun. Unlike the IDW comics, this focuses almost entirely on being cute and silly, as opposed to really trying to tell a story. That said, there are multiple storylines, each focusing on different characters.

First, Pinkie Pie finds herself lost in alternate realities and Twilight and Spike go searching for her. This could have worked for an entire volume, but it's just about 12 pages depending on how you count it. This is a lot of fun regardless, giving brief glimpses of other worlds. It brings in Doctor Hooves to resolve everything, but the nature of the story makes that fine.
medium.png

Source

Next, Pinkie Pie guides Celestia around Ponyville while Twilight tries to wrangle with a petrifying spell. This is another really fun story, though I feel like Celestia is the one who deviates the most from her normal personality, and appearance. She's a lot more... how do I put it... anime. It also has Celestia send a claw machine she doesn't like to the moon, as a warning to those sick of that joke. This story introduces the closest thing to an overarching story: Star Dancer, the pony who definitely is not an alien.
medium.png

Source

Third, Rarity is asked to make an outfit for a special client, who turns out to be The Smooze. This becomes true manga in that story, thanks to Rarity getting a bath scene with Sweetie Belle. I liked this one for ojousama style Rarity and because I generally like stories where Rarity has to overcome obstacles. You'll have to get the manga to see Rarity take a bath >_>.

Fourth, Fluttershy is scared to give a speech and hides in her shed. And yes, the manga makes references to SHED.MOV, which disappointed me a bit. There are good moments though, like this.
medium.png

Source

Fifth is the weakest story of the lot, focusing on Applejack, of course. Flim and Flam show up again to cause trouble, but the special apples they brought turn out to be crab apples, as in apple-shaped crabs that go around pinching everyone. It's a lot of story, not many gags. It also has the odd detail that despite Spike having wings, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are still making fun of blank flanks and Apple Bloom has to be forced to help them instead of watching crabs pinch them.

I wasn't a big fan of the sixth story either. Derpy is wrecking stuff, so Rainbow takes her to Zecora to find a cure for her clumsiness. Instead, Derpy uncovers a dragon claw and accidentally wishes for Rainbow's flying skill, leaving Rainbow as clumsy as Derpy used to be. They fix this.

Seventh is a story focused on our new not-an-alien pony, Star Dancer. We start out with Pinkie and the CMC sneaking into a theater showing a scary alien film, and a suspicious comment from her causes the CMC to trail her.
medium.png

Source

We do end up learning more about her, and I won't reveal what that is, but it's definitely going to play a major role in Volume 2, which we know will have a continuous story all throughout about a time loop on the day of a festival.

And the last story is pure self indulgence as the ponies play out various manga tropes, with ninja, a giant monster, a magical girl, and a pony running with toast in their mouth. It's a lot of fun, and I would have liked it explored more, particularly since the only ones who get much focus in this part are the Apple Family, Twilight, and Spike.

Overall, I definitely recommend checking it out. This manga won't offer a meaningful story or lessons or character development, but it's super cute and a ton of fun.
medium.jpeg

Source

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Sorry I hope this doesn't break a rule, but there's still no high quality complete scanlation for Dragon Ball right? I would love to go legit on this, but can't get over the heavy-handed localization of the Viz version. Actually I'm so annoyed with this I convinced myself last night to pick up where Feanor left off lols.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they made me care about Yotsuba. Her archetype is one I generally dislike, so I'm quite surprised at how much I like her now...
Goddammit, couldn't let me cheer for Miku in peace, now I'm here all conflicted about who wins :<

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Shishunki Bitter Change 65

I'm sad that's it's over, but I'm also really glad it had a happy ending after what happened in the original web comic version (which literally brought me to tears and worried something similar would happen in the published version).

I really hope a western publisher picks this up for a print version, I'd insta-buy it. (Actually tempted to see if I can get the Japanese version since I loved this manga so much.)

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I'm not aware of any major name changes or censoring in Dragon Ball? It'll be whatever their most recent ebook release are like.

At a minimum they cut out the nudity early in the series, and then later on they change Mr Satan's name to Hercule. But I just went on their site, and at least they haven't redrawn the sound effects. I think I'll give it a shot. It's cheap enough that if the quality isn't what I want is not a big loss.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the Vizbig physical books I own, it's very much a localization than a translation. Multiple references to things like Power Rangers, DVDs, and other things that did not exist back in the 80s.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
That Girl Is Not Just Cute is adorable, especially in some of the more recent chapters.

This manga is awesome, can confirm.

The Seven Deadly Sins

Elizabeth casually smacking the shit out of the Demon King while Mel reveals that she was a legendary badass when she was her full powered self? I can dig that.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I forgot to mention two other ones that are downright adorable and cute.

Pseudo Harem
Trust me, it's not at all what you think based off the title. Basically is a guy and a girl (who likes the guy, but said guy is apparently dense most of the time) who are in the drama club.

The "harem" part is a joke of sorts because the girl has different personas she changes between due to her drama acting skills.

Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru
The guy wants to confess his feelings for the girl, but he has a self-mandated rule that he has to beat her at shogi before doing so.

That said, he knows exactly how to mess with her to get her flustered, which makes for some funny chapters.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Is Tokyo GHoul and RE worth reading? Not particularly a big shonen guy, but several people have recommended it to me.
I dunno if that makes a difference to you but strictly speaking, it's seinen. If you like or want a battle manga then sure. It takes a while to get going and it starts to fall off in second half of :re due to increasingly lackluster power level control, bloated cast, some plot issues and finally it's biggest fault; the very much rushed ending. But for all of that, its' still a well planned story with much thought put into the plot, twists and character arcs and Ishida, I think gradually evolves into one of the best storytellers out there.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Flag 45

f5LXuMk.png

Mami is the absolute best character. Fantastic chapter, that scene with her and Masumi was great. I feel for Masumi so much here, trying to come out is incredibly hard even if you have support.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Hajime no Ippo:

Can anyone explain this ant thing going on? does it have do to something with Takamura and his long foretold eye promblem?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Komi-san

So after some months not reading I am finally up to date, first I read the arc they doing a stand of a festival that of course has Tadano walking together with manbagi and everyone gets to see the two together, and of course Komi-san see that two. I thought it would evolve into unnecessary drama but the manga solved this in a fun way, at least for now. Hitomi interrogating Tadano was the highlight and we need more chapter with her

Now for the following arc about the cleanning girl. I didnt like her at first but her connection with the sweat girl and she trying to win the coucil election kinda won me over. Bonus points for being one few people that don't try to abuse Komi's popularity and innocence to get favors

Bonus: Najimi being bullied
5Bh74o4.png

0vxx3YH.png

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else read "Mieruko-chan"/"Girl that can see it"?
217799.jpg

The manga is a comedic/horror about a girl who one day start seeing spirits and ghosts. The problem here is that these ghosts are really horifying looking and when I say that I mean it. It is like they escaped from a Junji Ito comic and invaded the poor girls life. Every chapter is about her seeing different spirits and trying to not make it obvious to them that she can see them because she is scared shitless and want to avoid any interactions with them. Some chapters are really uncomfortable because of the monsters looks or what they do, some are more so comedic and some are sad/heartwarming depending on how you look at it. One of my favourite parts about it is that the execution of how the monsters show up to be really well done, and it leads to some really suprising moments in the later chapters that twists your expectations.

Each chapter is structured as a "monster of the week" type of thing (with jokes carrying over to the later chapters) but it is starting to establish a plot the past couple of chapters and I find it to be really interesting.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm looking to invest in Vampire Hunter D stuff. I'm a little confused about the manga, light novel, and comics. I want to read whatever is considered canon and starts from the beginning of V's tale. If someone who has experience with the series could help me with this I'd truly appreciate it.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Land Lock 33.5

TF happened here, is this getting axed and they gotta wrap it up next week or something?

It feels like we're missing a couple of chapters.

I liked that one comment on the jump app that asked 'King Crimson?' though lol

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Arata Primal 19

That was actually really intense and good, best chapter since the beginning of the manga. It's the first time the situation really seems completely out of the characters' control, really looking forward to next week.

Oct 25, 2017
Dr Stone

Goofy as hell chapter. Ginro is going to be the one picked if Final Fantasy VII is anything to go by.

Chainsaw Man

Brutal.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the Kodansha Bundle. Might start reading Domestic Girlfriend even though I know it will infuriate me.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Hinomaru Sumo 245
Disappointed that Kawada sped through the Okanehira vs Jino fight in about six pages. Thought that it warranted at least a full chapter or two given how much time we've spent with Okanehira and Jino during the tournament (and given that it is a semi final match!). I hope that this was a decision because they don't want to show off too much of current state Jino and not that they have a deadline to finish by. While the first semi final match was a bit lacking, that last page got me hyped for the next one.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The Promised Neverland 139
What a twist!

That was the best chapter in a while, Ayshe's backstory was so good. I really like how it validates Emma's goal by developing the grey area that this series is working within.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
Gintama 704 [END]

qd2UX3K.png

Q_Q
It finally ending. such a satisfying end. Thanks gorilla, for all this year

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Gintama 704 End (for real this time)
Great conclusion that captures a lot of what has made this series so enjoyable. The build up to the
Madeo sham ending
was incredible.

One thing I might be a little mixed on is
Baby Takasugi. My head tells me I shouldn't like this, but I found the way it was presented with the 'master protects his disciples' line and everything kind of effective.

Final volume cover comes full circle which I love. Thanks Sorachi! Looking forward to the Shinsengumi spin off.

Oct 25, 2017
I might buy and bing Gintama once it gets localized outside of Japan. Iirc, wasn't Viz already distributed its translation or was I thinking wrong?

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Anybody else read "Mieruko-chan"/"Girl that can see it"?
217799.jpg

The manga is a comedic/horror about a girl who one day start seeing spirits and ghosts. The problem here is that these ghosts are really horifying looking and when I say that I mean it. It is like they escaped from a Junji Ito comic and invaded the poor girls life. Every chapter is about her seeing different spirits and trying to not make it obvious to them that she can see them because she is scared shitless and want to avoid any interactions with them. Some chapters are really uncomfortable because of the monsters looks or what they do, some are more so comedic and some are sad/heartwarming depending on how you look at it. One of my favourite parts about it is that the execution of how the monsters show up to be really well done, and it leads to some really suprising moments in the later chapters that twists your expectations.

Each chapter is structured as a "monster of the week" type of thing (with jokes carrying over to the later chapters) but it is starting to establish a plot the past couple of chapters and I find it to be really interesting.
I just started read it a few weeks ago and I was absolutely adore with this manga. To sum it up; It's like a comedy version of The Sixth Sense.

It's quite good so far. I like the comparison to The Sixth Sense. This is much more spooky imo.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I started thinking about Giant Killing again, after randomly encountering the OP for the anime, and I was just wondering if anyone happened to be reading the manga and knew what has been going on in the series in the least... I dunno, nearly 10 years since the anime aired?

Status
Not open for further replies.