• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys 1
ELSzXA7WsAMC6hy

This was fantastic, loved seeing flowery soft filters being used for the romance scenes...love between boys is so pure and sweet, d'awww. Saga had the best one, definitely my favorite through and through also loved his mission report "shook". 2nd best,
ELSz8EnW4AEQQYF

Strong start comparable to how much fun and excitement I had with Tokyo Shinobi Squad and Ziga.

Hoping Baba is the one chosen for the gender change and I hope there isn't another human ship of sorts this soon.

Just have to wonder what other conflicts will happen (hoping the writing doesnt go back on the earth was destroyed by nuclear war plot as hinted by the we don't have confirmation that it did end there).

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys
I can't believe this actually got published. The art is fine, but it's still a literal doujin, complete with talks about dick size and everyone effeminizing the smallest one

at least they made everyone 17 or older?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Agravity Boys

'Oh cool a new sci-fi manga series!'

five minutes later

'What the hell did I just read'

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys

Trash.

Zipman

Story's nothing super special at the moment, but the art's nice (you can clearly see the MHA inspirations as the mangaka was formerly an assistant on it). MC looks weird though with his "I look like a demon/villain" gimmick.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this thread usually reply to recommendation requests or is it only for discussing manga? I've gone through the op (but not the linked blog).

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Zipman I like the brother's assistant. She seems cool. Something about the story doesn't really make sense yet - if he was just knocked out and woke up as a costume, how did he know he needed to seek out his brother in the first place?

Oh, and the "devil gorilla" gag has really worn itself thin already. The namecalling generally, frankly.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I should start contributing to this OT, given how much I've been reading on the SJ/M+/CR apps... I kinda wish that pics of stuff released as scans were put under spoiler tags, since I always seen screenshots of stuff happening in Chainsaw Man and stuff ahead of official release :x Maybe I'm in the minority on here that read stuff on release? I stopped reading scans a while ago. I do like how stuff being discussed is bolded, so I can skip through stuff I'm not caught up with or reading at the moment...

Agravity Boys 01

This was.... weird. Like, really? Where does the plot even try to go? I was NOT expecting this gender-bend thing to be a mian thing of the story :/ This is NOT going to last very long. I really don't see it going over 1 volume.

Demon Slayer... I'm just glad that the speed up with the SJ sub finally happened. I go through these chapters so quickly, but now to wait a month... At least I'll be caught up for whenever S2 of the anime airs, so I read first, then watch. The movie at least helps push it out a bit more.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I guess I should start contributing to this OT, given how much I've been reading on the SJ/M+/CR apps... I kinda wish that pics of stuff released as scans were put under spoiler tags, since I always seen screenshots of stuff happening in Chainsaw Man and stuff ahead of official release :x Maybe I'm in the minority on here that read stuff on release? I stopped reading scans a while ago. I do like how stuff being discussed is bolded, so I can skip through stuff I'm not caught up with or reading at the moment...
There's a spoiler-free thread.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Agravity Boys
I can't believe this actually got published. The art is fine, but it's still a literal doujin, complete with talks about dick size and everyone effeminizing the smallest one

at least they made everyone 17 or older?

LMAO. It'd probably be better if it were a doujin, it sounds like.

Does this thread usually reply to recommendation requests or is it only for discussing manga? I've gone through the op (but not the linked blog).

Shoot. What are you looking for?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the first few volumes of Sailor Moon during the Right Stuff sale. Happy to finally get a chance to check that out!

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer binging series so I'd like some recommendations for completed manga without anime adaptations. As for genres I don't mind anything from Shoujo(but not stuff with multiple love interests since most of the time it's just basic drama ) to shounen. I tend to drop slow burning manga like aria which was world building rather than progress for the first couple of chapters that I read. My most recent read was ohayou ibarahime (wake up sleeping beauty) which I stumbled upon. Its pretty good imo.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado 1-78

I read through all of this today, there's still one chapter left but gotta wait for it to be translated. I enjoyed it quite a bit but the pacing once it hit the nationals wasn't great. The big final match between Connie and Ayako that the entire series was essentially building towards was shorter then every other big match in the series lmao. I think if the second half of the series was better paced this would have been an easy 9/10 series but as it is it's probably only a 7

Also it's hilarious to me how the anime made the Mum out to be some kind of villain when she was actually just incredibly insecure about herself and ran away from her daughters because she didn't know how to be a normal parent.

November 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
November 2019 Recommendation: Sanju Mariko

l2qdsXA.jpg

Slice of life dramedy | 10 volumes, incomplete work, not licensed in English
The manga centers on veteran novelist Mariko Kōda, who lives with the families of both her son and her grandson in one house. Feeling like she no longer has any place in her home, she decides to leave the house and strike out on her own, beginning with living in a manga cafe in the city. (source)

From striferser:
A tale that highlight the problem with older people and their relationship with their family. I really recommend it due to subject it talked about. (source)

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Go-toubun 114

I was first team Miku then Team Nino but I am fine with this as Yotsuba is a good person a really good person and so I am happy

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Go-toubun 114

I was first team Miku then Team Nino but I am fine with this as Yotsuba is a good person a really good person and so I am happy

I had your same progression, from Miku to Nino, and now I am really liking this ending. Yotsuba suffered so much and, when she thought she had to leave her love for Fuutarou aside, she found out that he loves her actually. Just this thing itself is amazing.
In the same day, she cried twice, the first time of sadness after the kiss and the second of joy after Fuutarou's confession. I think a similar ending would not have been possible with other quintuplets.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I had you same progression, from Miku to Nino, and now I am really liking this ending. Yotsuba suffered so much and, when she thought she had to leave her love for Fuutarou aside, she found out that he loves her actually. Just this thing itself is amazing.
In the same day, she cried twice, the first time of sadness after the kiss and the second of joy after Fuutarou's confession. I think a similar ending would not have been possible with other quintuplets.
yup it was nicely done
and they made it so that her helping out was not only to support her sisters (after she flunked) but also to find some purpose and distraction from Fuutarou

how it was done was nice and it would've been sad if she was given such an ending

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Go-toubun 114

Same here.

Also makes the most sense in a non-harem logical real life sense.

Miku - too annoyingly meek, more little sister than life partner.
Nino - shes a bitch to him. Its cute in a harem manga but in real life you ditch that bitch asap.
Itsuki - there's nothing there.
Ichika - after the stuff you saw her pull, you just can't trust her.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part is where it shows that him being able to tell Yotsuba apart first in the Hot Spring arc was more important than Miku's big drama about telling her apart.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer binging series so I'd like some recommendations for completed manga without anime adaptations. As for genres I don't mind anything from Shoujo(but not stuff with multiple love interests since most of the time it's just basic drama ) to shounen. I tend to drop slow burning manga like aria which was world building rather than progress for the first couple of chapters that I read. My most recent read was ohayou ibarahime (wake up sleeping beauty) which I stumbled upon. Its pretty good imo.

Any particular reason why it shouldn't have an anime adaptation?

Anyways if you want completed series, off the top of my head of good/weird stuff I've been personally been meaning to reread: Straighten up! Welcome to Shika high's competitive dance! is a fun shonen that I felt didn't get nearly as much love as it should have. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is notorious for being a really great action series perfect for anime adaptation.... but never got one. Though i prefer the author's other work Spirit Circle (also completed) personally as it deals with reincarnation and a swathe of interesting characters. Vagabond is a fantastic samurai manga that the author has pretty much gone on record saying he's not gonna continue it, so it might as well be completed Heyo! (I'm crying inside)

These technically have anime adaptations but they're pretty different from their mangas. Magi is a fun seires with a crazy amount of world building. Anime adaptations takes a lot of liberties with the nitty gritty of arcs. Same thing with Pandora Hearts, a strange series taking place in Victorian England with a distinct shojo-ish style and alice in wonderland themeing. Anyway hope atleast one of these catch your interest.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Act Age 93
Enjoyed the last several chapters covering all the side cast members and Ogami. The way they all revolved around and developed off of Yonagi's current state was well done. Excited to see what happens now that Yonagi is back to being the main focus though.

Dr Stone 132
Ibara from the top rope.

Terrifying

Dr Stone Reboot 7
Big fan of the main series but this hasn't done a lot for me. I guess if it is setting up for Senku finding the robot buddy in space or something that will be charming/sweet. This was probably my favorite chapter so far, but it is mostly just because they are redoing one of my favorite scenes from the main series. Not entirely sure about the retcon/recontextualization being the emotional climax off the spin off (guess we will see if that is the case. Still 2(?)chapters for something else ) but it still hit me in the feels!

Jujutsu 87
Finally, some grasshopper facts.

Pretty amusing fight for Itadori. With Mahito heading over and Itadori in the clear, looks like it may be time for Gojo to get sent to the shadow realm for a couple years of serialization :(
Author will likely through a curveball of sorts though.

Its too bad we probably won't see Mei Mei's powers combat yet.

Mitama Security 15-16
A detective hitting the gym to get deductive gains had me rolling.

Hope this series survives, been enjoying it. Need to see what else Mr. Commentary can provide exposition for.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any particular reason why it shouldn't have an anime adaptation?

Anyways if you want completed series, off the top of my head of good/weird stuff I've been personally been meaning to reread: Straighten up! Welcome to Shika high's competitive dance! is a fun shonen that I felt didn't get nearly as much love as it should have. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is notorious for being a really great action series perfect for anime adaptation.... but never got one. Though i prefer the author's other work Spirit Circle (also completed) personally as it deals with reincarnation and a swathe of interesting characters. Vagabond is a fantastic samurai manga that the author has pretty much gone on record saying he's not gonna continue it, so it might as well be completed Heyo! (I'm crying inside)

These technically have anime adaptations but they're pretty different from their mangas. Magi is a fun seires with a crazy amount of world building. Anime adaptations takes a lot of liberties with the nitty gritty of arcs. Same thing with Pandora Hearts, a strange series taking place in Victorian England with a distinct shojo-ish style and alice in wonderland themeing. Anyway hope atleast one of these catch your interest.

Mainly because i've been watching anime since 2005 so I've at least tried anything I'd be interested in and I was looking for niche-r stuff. However, stuff with bad anime adaptations is welcome as that was an oversight .
I've only read Spirit Circle (first couple of chapters but I completely forgot about it , rather than dropping it so I'll read some more and see if it holds my interest) & Magi (I enjoyed it) . I'll defnitely check out the rest.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it is on its way to being done. This week's chapter is the first of the last volume and going by the other volumes there would probably be 8 left unless they do an extra one or something.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
im kind of done with go-toubun. I want it to be done-toubun. Just finish up already.
It's pretty much over to me. We're just in the wrap-up/epilogue now. Time to timeskip and get the minor difficulties out of the way, though after this we need at least one more chapter from Fuutarou explain who slapped him at the cultural festival (probably Ichika for suggesting to not pick anyone).

But I'm going to miss this. I need one romcom to read at all times, and Kaguya is mostly comedy though I don't count that. No way in hell I'm giving Nisekoi 2.0 aka We Never Learn another go and Rental Girlfriend fills me with anger. Maybe its time to give Komi a shot.

Oct 25, 2017
I cant wait for the Agravity Boys anime, its going to be hilarious and fun. I hope they play up the romance between boys plot so much would be incredible. Should just go that route for the series theme.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much over to me. We're just in the wrap-up/epilogue now. Time to timeskip and get the minor difficulties out of the way, though after this we need at least one more chapter from Fuutarou explain who slapped him at the cultural festival (probably Ichika for suggesting to not pick anyone).

But I'm going to miss this. I need one romcom to read at all times, and Kaguya is mostly comedy though I don't count that. No way in hell I'm giving Nisekoi 2.0 aka We Never Learn another go and Rental Girlfriend fills me with anger. Maybe its time to give Komi a shot.
Komi is less of romance than Kaguya, I wouldn't even call it a romcom

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quints 114

YES
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Man even re-reading previous chapters, its so obvious, how the fuck were we all so blind.

Itsuki is such a red herring lmao. Congratz to youtsuba the red october.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Need to catch up on Qunituplits so badly now. I'm only on vol.6 and have probably lost most of the suspense because I couldn't be bothered trying to avoid spoilers.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Quints 114

YES

Man even re-reading previous chapters, its so obvious, how the fuck were we all so blind.

Itsuki is the real "fake out" of the manga. From the first moment you are convinced she will be the bride. Then, after Yostuba decided to leave her past behind, Itsuki really seems the winner, even though she didn't show any romantic feelings towards Fuutarou (I considered the other three girls already out, as I wrote in the past the end game would have been between Yotsuba and Itsuki). You still think that Itsuki will have an arc where she will fall in love... And then she really is just a good friend for him, at the end.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Tokyopop I noticed Still Sick has a kindle edition. Hopefully this is the norm for them going forward since I don't have the space for physical books.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
5 Toubun 114

Oh god it's beautiful. Blessed chapter. So many callbacks and references to their earlier moments.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Quints 114

YES

Well there were people writing 40 page dissertations on why Yotsuba was the one. Granted I was unsure if all the obvious details pointing to Yotsuba was trolling for when the author would swerve into Itsuki.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Well there were people writing 40 page dissertations on why Yotsuba was the one. Granted I was unsure if all the obvious details pointing to Yotsuba was trolling for when the author would swerve into Itsuki.
if you think that Fuutarou's hair has two strands which are really similar to Yotsuba's ribbon, we already had the answer from the character designs

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
if you think that Fuutarou's hair has two strands which are really similar to Yotsuba's ribbon, we already had the answer from the character designs
Yeah, that's one where I'm not convinced that it's intentional. A few of those things in the 40 page write up still feel like reaches compare to the more obvious "Yotsuba is represented by the ring finger"

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit worried for Negi's safety though. Miku is the most popular and he straight up negated one of her wins here to kick her fans while they were down.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah, that's one where I'm not convinced that it's intentional. A few of those things in the 40 page write up still feel like reaches compare to the more obvious "Yotsuba is represented by the ring finger"
There is also this other scene, where Yotsuba is thinking about a sports medal.
1nrm2zk2z3x21.jpg

Readers instinctively are lead to think that this scene is hilarious and that Yotsuba is really naive, but... maybe it is another hidden hint about Yotsuba being the bride (the medal has the number 1). I doubt all these hints are accidental, including the fact that Yotsuba uses the ring finger in the corresponding volume cover. Probably Negi wanted to make the childhood friend the bride from the beginning and disseminate dhints which only now really make sense.

Another hint is made by the two following images, the first of the chapter where classmates start to think Yotsuba and Fuutarou are dating and the second of the last campfire arc chapter. The words are basically the same. It would be interesting to know if they are the same also in Japanese.

nbwk2ui7xog21.jpg

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 114

And now that the chapter is out, I can really say that I appreciated Yotsuba being a bit selfish (after the run) and telling Fuutarou she has always loved him. I wrote last week I wanted her to be this selfish and I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.