• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
mukade (japanese millipedes?) get the treatment once in a while too. I think it's more of a joke about roaches being, like, the ultimate symbol of uncleanliness, at least in japan

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Ultimate villain
758-AAEBC-C9-DE-4350-8-D60-53-F2-F9898347.jpg

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys even keep up with official manga licenses and releases?

I just tried to look up the English version of Chi no Wadachi and had to do a couple Google searches to get to an ANN encyclopedia page where I learned the new official English title with ISBN numbers. The publisher hasn't updated its website in a year.

Oct 25, 2017

I just tried to look up the English version of Chi no Wadachi and had to do a couple Google searches to get to an ANN encyclopedia page where I learned the new official English title with ISBN numbers. The publisher hasn't updated its website in a year.
you just had to go to bakaupdates and it is listed right in the english license part.

But, I usually either just follow the license updates on ANN or check the weekly list of North America Manga/Anime release article there every tuesday/wednesday for things i didn't preorder.

Oddly I forgot daily lives of high school boys was licensed until I saw it listed in a recent rightstuf email.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I just watch comiXology's new manga releases page. It updates every Tuesday with new releases. Also this is a good site to look at for sales.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really keep up on these things but someone linked me to a bookwalker.jp app for watamote and surprisingly the preview was fully in english

unfortunately they wanted to buy at 800y p/volume (I think, since the infrastructure around the app was still in jp) but thats kind of interesting.

ideally i want, like i said, a netflix of streaming, but I need to look at my tablet and the storage is dodgy on it so I need to figure out what I can actually use properly. zzz. why is this so hard.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
It's not hard, you just have to pay money.
That said I do remember a tweet that kodansha are planning an English version of their subscription service. It think the up service is called comic days?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
im not opposed to paying money

im opposed to spending effort on things

the main thing i'm complaining about though is that my stupid microsd card doesn't like my tablet, which obviously isn't any manga service's fault

do most services allow for local downloads for a faster reading experience? Aussie internet isn't great

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
is this Death Note oneshot supposed to be up on the mangaplus or viz SJ site? i tried looking for it the other day and couldn't find anything aside from the original manga from the 00's
i feel old saying that last part

I just watch comiXology's new manga releases page. It updates every Tuesday with new releases. Also this is a good site to look at for sales.
comiclist is also good, updates every monday for physical releases

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
im not opposed to paying money

im opposed to spending effort on things

the main thing i'm complaining about though is that my stupid microsd card doesn't like my tablet, which obviously isn't any manga service's fault

do most services allow for local downloads for a faster reading experience? Aussie internet isn't great

If you're not interested in less than legal means, I don't know how many services are out there that meet your requirements right now.

Personally, I just realized I'd need to buy physical media to digest what I wanted with the least possible effort.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been catching up on the last twenty or so Tower of God chapters I've missed and I'm going to be honest, Bam's Gary Stu-ness is really starting to drag on me. Between his super special partial transformation and him just healing Doom no sweat, it's just been total blah. This is also combined with him being a charisma black hole in general and none of his immediate supporting cast balancing him out well. As much as I like some of the things going on around him the author's necessity to wave around Bam's BIG NUMBER is getting in the way.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
we might finally be at the tipping point for digital manga where the effort of piracy is outweighed by the services... if the services are up to snuff, which i don't know about yet. in any event i certainly want to give creators my money so they keep making stuff

yeah if i lived in the jpn i would just buy shittonnes of physical manga, but it's like 400-500y a pop there (for new stuff!) instead of 2000y. Of course i can't actually read any of that without serious effort so there's the limiting factor, and transporting it anywhere sucks, etc etc, but ya know.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I really, really, really wish Viz would translate Slam Dunk 10 Days After.

I might just buy a Japanese copy. They need to get on it man.

And what about the new Slam Dunk editions? Sigh.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really keep up on these things but someone linked me to a bookwalker.jp app for watamote and surprisingly the preview was fully in english

unfortunately they wanted to buy at 800y p/volume (I think, since the infrastructure around the app was still in jp) but thats kind of interesting.

ideally i want, like i said, a netflix of streaming, but I need to look at my tablet and the storage is dodgy on it so I need to figure out what I can actually use properly. zzz. why is this so hard.
Manga Plus really needs to figure out a way to let you read older chapters- I'm not sure there is ANYWHERE other than scan sites where you can read stuff like Blue Flag apart from the chapters they have up.
At this point, the only stuff I read that isn't officially licensed is the Magic the Gathering manga (which I assume there are 10 people in the english speaking world who care about, including the people who translate it), and a BL manga that is literally licensed and physically avalible in just about every EFIGS language other than English (I have considered buying the spanish versions physically to see if I can parse my way through them)

Oct 25, 2017

i would not want a netflix model for manga (would they really do "simulpubs", would content stay there perpetually or be removed, imagine say having to rush read all of Naruto before its eventually removed in a year or something, would stuff be purchaseable, would print ever be allowed?), a few of these are kind of flaws/concerns for mangaplus already.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 117
Well, at the end Itsuki does not have a simple platonic relationship with Fuutarou as a friend. She fell in love with him, too. I feel that it is a bit late development, considering the manga is going to finish in maximum 5 chapters. Honestly, I would have avoided this final part, I doubt it will do good for her character.
Next chapter Fuutarou will find out about at least the truth between at least one of the two main secrets, the first being that Yotsuba is the child he met in the past, the second being the identity of the bell kisser. Maybe Yotsuba will tell Nino that she actually did something and already kissed Fuutarou twice, declaring herself as the bell kisser (or maybe this is just an alternate timeline, and the real one is that the bell kisser is Itsuki, who wanted to test her real feelings).

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the chapter, but that sounds pretty lame for Itsuki. I actually thought it was pretty cool for a "first girl" to have a compeltely platonic relationship with the MC.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun 117

Really, are we really doing this now? 5 chapters from the end? Ugh. Why have Itsuki realize her feelings SO LATE into the series? Literally in the final volume. I don't see a bait and switch happening since there's not enough time for it and would just make everyone involved into worse characters, so this revelation just feels even more pointless. Also goddamn, Nino. I'm never read a harem character that made me go so back and forth on how I feel about them. I get that she's a character of extremes, in both directions, but for the quint that "cares about her sisters the most", that was just a spiteful thing to say. She needs to lay off the sodium intake, haha.

This is probably the first chapter in a while that I didn't like anything in it.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Of course i can't actually read any of that without serious effort
We'll get there one day, page by page. I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets tired reading. It's easy to blame yourself, but yeah it just takes a lot of energy when you're not used to it and with that kind of volume.

Considering getting a tablet because importing JP stuff is pricey and I have to keep it under a low amount to avoid additional costs from customs.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5Toubun 117

Really, are we really doing this now? 5 chapters from the end? Ugh. Why have Itsuki realize her feelings SO LATE into the series? Literally in the final volume. I don't see a bait and switch happening since there's not enough time for it and would just make everyone involved into worse characters, so this revelation just feels even more pointless. Also goddamn, Nino. I'm never read a harem character that made me go so back and forth on how I feel about them. I get that she's a character of extremes, in both directions, but for the quint that "cares about her sisters the most", that was just a spiteful thing to say. She needs to lay off the sodium intake, haha.

This is probably the first chapter in a while that I didn't like anything in it.

The author should have ended the series after Fuutarou's and Yotsuba's mutual confession with a big, final chapter for the wedding, and that's all. These last chapters are fine only for Miku's conclusion at the moment, while they are damaging Itsuki and Nino. They could have been handled much better. Let's just hope it won't get worse, in particular I would be disappointed if Nino, who has been my favourite girl, would just play the antagonist role in these final chapters...

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The author should have ended the series after Fuutarou's and Yotsuba's mutual confession with a big, final chapter for the wedding, and that's all. These last chapters are fine only for Miku's conclusion at the moment, while they are damaging Itsuki and Nino. They could have been handled much better. Let's just hope it won't get worse, in particular I would be disappointed if Nino, who has been my favourite girl, would just play the antagonist role in these final chapters...
I would have also been disappointed, but it beats this. I guess I'll have to stick with Kaguya for romcom series where you can actually see the main couple acting like a couple once they get together.

I'm also not a fan of Yotsuba and Fuutarou being awkward between each other and not actually talking though this. I get she said she had some things she had to take care of first, and it's only been a couple of days in-story, but I feel it's going against the whole confession that Fuutarou gave her. The whole "supporting each other" thing.

Also yeah, Miku had a good resolution, so there's that. I also feel Ichika had one way back when she moved out and has just been around due to... um... "contract obligations", lol. Hopefully Nino and Itsuki get nice resolutions in the next chapter or two and we have enough time for some nice Yotsuba and Fuutarou moments before the last chapter. Some epilogue chapters in the volume release or epilogue series would be nice too.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun 117
I would have also preferred Itsuki and Fuutarou just being friends. Maybe the author wants to make Itsuki fans feel less slighted by the idea that she was never in the competition?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the chapter, but that sounds pretty lame for Itsuki. I actually thought it was pretty cool for a "first girl" to have a compeltely platonic relationship with the MC.

For real. It really made her stand apart from her sisters. Now she just feels generic.

I really hope its a swerve but regardless, it felt like a waste of time to insert this development this late in the story. I guess we wont get to see Fuu and Yotsuba do couple stuff as I'm sure we will flash forward to the wedding as soon as Fuu and Yotsuba work things out now.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i would not want a netflix model for manga (would they really do "simulpubs", would content stay there perpetually or be removed, imagine say having to rush read all of Naruto before its eventually removed in a year or something, would stuff be purchaseable, would print ever be allowed?), a few of these are kind of flaws/concerns for mangaplus already.

i understand these concerns, believe me, but it does make it more frustrating that going legit offers a vastly inferior user experience to the alternative (at least until sites started going dark recently)

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
i understand these concerns, believe me, but it does make it more frustrating that going legit offers a vastly inferior user experience to the alternative (at least until sites started going dark recently)
Thats always going to be the case though. The best you can probably have is publishers all running their individual subscription services. There's never going to be a service where you spend a tenner a month and get everything.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but at least within those individual catalogues the services should be equiv. I'm not as deeply opposed to the 'pay for x subs per month' problem as others since I don't feel the compulsive need to keep a sub I'm not using, but it's a hard ask when not only are your choices cut down but the actual service also sucks comparatively.

Oct 25, 2017
oh nice Interlibrary Loan through my MedSchool did actually do my manga request (though it was for the TegamiBachi artist fanbook and not vol 20, so :( ) but since this happened, guess I will try for other mangas.

bonus, two more manga picked up, a BL from the reborn TokyoPop, and continuation of hitohero + heroaca, haikyuu, naruto support.
cabd3bd6c07a7e54c3540836c22ed49f88d23e4f.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Motion Emotion END

Motion Emotion is a nice start for a blossoming BL manga author. While there is much to be desired on the plot front, there are nice ideas and concepts here that help the beautiful character design and artwork shine. Ultimately, with a bit more writing experience and time the writer could potentially become one of the best in the field.
EOQjzqYXsAAcJ-Z

(Derek Jeter getting called in a BL, great post baseball career)

Motion Emotion is the most solid of the stories in that plot that is only held down by constant shifts in time and location that can leave for some pretty strange and hard to follow moments. The pieces of a pretty interesting and fun BL story are here with the dude that is jealous over a coworker who can get anyone to fall in love with him and suddenly develops feelings for them. These feelings are initially denied but end up being true and we see their relationship develop over the course of a few months/years (Hard to say). Artwork is great and the listing of ten reasons why they like each other is fun. I also love the teasing.

The 2nd story is perhaps the weakest because it just ends without accomplishing anything. It's like a segment of a life of a couple who are seemingly going through feelings of inadequacy and questions what they are after in life and ends with one of them saying lets breakup. I guess one good thing is good art work and a setting in Canada.
EOQVXMsX4AUsx6w

The final story is one that I wish we got a sequel of because the plot of friends become lovers after being separated for a study abroad program of sorts is interesting. Similar to the 2nd story where the ending is just inconclusive, this one at least leaves on a point where you wonder, will Ben and Lou get together once they meet each other in a few months/years? My favorite scene was in this one because the wrestling was cute and fun especially the teasing. Good art style.

Overall good anthology.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I've been catching up on the last twenty or so Tower of God chapters I've missed and I'm going to be honest, Bam's Gary Stu-ness is really starting to drag on me. Between his super special partial transformation and him just healing Doom no sweat, it's just been total blah. This is also combined with him being a charisma black hole in general and none of his immediate supporting cast balancing him out well. As much as I like some of the things going on around him the author's necessity to wave around Bam's BIG NUMBER is getting in the way.
I dropped ToG awhile ago partially for this reason. Every single arc went out of its way to up Bam's numbers even further just because, and there's so many fucking characters and I just can't bother to give a shit about most of them.

I feel like the series had a certain charm to it in its earlier days and that's completely gone now. I ended up bailing around the end of the virtual world arc because it all just seemed boring to me.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Cultivation Chat Group
Yikes, this is garbage. Why is there so much transphobia and racial slurs in this?

Yeah, I got bored of it after a while. I don't know, but to me, it lacked the charm and appeal that it had when in the first several arcs.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped ToG awhile ago partially for this reason. Every single arc went out of its way to up Bam's numbers even further just because, and there's so many fucking characters and I just can't bother to give a shit about most of them.

I feel like the series had a certain charm to it in its earlier days and that's completely gone now. I ended up bailing around the end of the virtual world arc because it all just seemed boring to me.
The cast size never really bothered me to much (I love me a large cast) and I liked that Bam just happened to generally travel with whoever was going the same direction as him. It's just that Bam left Khun and Rak in the dust so them fighting together now if jsut Khun buffing Bam while Rak throws rocks to distract the enemy.

Also the earlier days stuff really hits home to me because in the recent chapters they actually brought up team positions again as if that matters in the Dragon Ball Z energy blast fest the series evolved into. Also the shaved head guy and the sword guy still showing up and basically doing nothing despite the fact that they seemed like major party members early on.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Kingdom 520-ish to 580-ish

This like the one series that I just cannot read weekly, it's much more enjoyable while binging it. This arc is sooooo long, and the pacing feels really slow sometimes; I stopped following it a while back and am getting caught up now.

I've heard there's some really dumb Houken stuff coming up, but it does feel good to be reading this series again. Shin slicing that fodder general in half without breaking a sweat was hype as fuck, as was Heki finally doing something cool for the first time in his life. I'm gonna be sad when I catch up, I might just week going with it weekly at least until this arc FINALLY ends.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Weird question, but how do people feel about D Gray-man these days?

I was reshuffling my manga collection again and my old volumes of the series were part of that, which I realized I never got around to filling in a few gaps (IIRC, I had initially started picking up the series where the anime left off, then picked up older volumes cheap when I saw them at cons.) And I actually had cleared out some other series with the question of "is it worth the money to finish, or should I just sell it off?" as my collection has long since gotten too large and I've done some downsizing here and there. Which when applied to this series left me kind of uncertain. I mean, when I was watching the anime, I loved it and would never consider it anywhere near something I would purge... but then the hiatus stuff happened. And from what I recall the last time I caught up a while back, it just felt like a different series and all very odd. And part of that's likely the hiatus meaning I hadn't read it in a while, but still... Much as I could can get lost over hiatus breaks, I don't feel that way about, say, Hunter x Hunter.

I guess ultimately next time I grab a Viz sub for a bit I should probably just reread the whole thing to make up my mind...

By the way, is it seeming at all like it may end anytime soon, or not really?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Weird question, but how do people feel about D Gray-man these days?

I was reshuffling my manga collection again and my old volumes of the series were part of that, which I realized I never got around to filling in a few gaps (IIRC, I had initially started picking up the series where the anime left off, then picked up older volumes cheap when I saw them at cons.) And I actually had cleared out some other series with the question of "is it worth the money to finish, or should I just sell it off?" as my collection has long since gotten too large and I've done some downsizing here and there. Which when applied to this series left me kind of uncertain. I mean, when I was watching the anime, I loved it and would never consider it anywhere near something I would purge... but then the hiatus stuff happened. And from what I recall the last time I caught up a while back, it just felt like a different series and all very odd. And part of that's likely the hiatus meaning I hadn't read it in a while, but still... Much as I could can get lost over hiatus breaks, I don't feel that way about, say, Hunter x Hunter.

I guess ultimately next time I grab a Viz sub for a bit I should probably just reread the whole thing to make up my mind...

By the way, is it seeming at all like it may end anytime soon, or not really?
I guess it depends on how much you like it overall.

But given that there aren't too many volumes (and depending on how many you already have), and new ones won't be coming out that often, it doesn't seem like it would be too big a hassle to keep up with, even if you're not liking the newer stuff as much.

I've never read the series, but I was surprised to see Viz did 3-in-1s too.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while, here's the latest Jump TOC.

Undead Unlock (New Series)
One Piece
Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland (Color)
Dr. Stone
Haikyuu!!
We Never Learn (Color)
Zipman!!
Chainsaw Man
My Hero Academia
Act-Age
Agravity Boys
Black Clover
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mitama Security
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Samurai 8
Mission Yozakura Family

New series (Mashle) next week, as well as color pages for Kimetsu no Yaiba and (surprisingly) Mitama Security.

So much for Mission Yozakura Family.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yozakura family was just kind of dull, KHR did it better.
I didn't make the comparison until you mentioned it but yeah, even with KHR's slow start, it had better character progression (besides Tsuna's wimpiness which I don't have an issue with) & better balance overall as well.
Although, I think Mission is starting to get into its shounen side, not sure how it's going to balance the MC vs. basically everyone but him having a variety ofsuper powers/skills.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm slowpoking here but is BassForever permed ?

Quintuplets 117

Not really feeling any of this silly drama (this is why you end your romance at getting together) and Itsuki coming out of the woodwork with her feelings at this point is just baffling.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it depends on how much you like it overall.

But given that there aren't too many volumes (and depending on how many you already have), and new ones won't be coming out that often, it doesn't seem like it would be too big a hassle to keep up with, even if you're not liking the newer stuff as much.

I've never read the series, but I was surprised to see Viz did 3-in-1s too.
Yeah, it's more a "do I like this enough to keep it?" But yeah, going to have to do a reread to figure that out at this point.

It's not a huge series or anything, but I've been trying to trim wherever I can justify it. Have roughly 3000 volumes, and that's just too big, especially when I haven't really stopped picking stuff up, and I have a decent collection of western comic stuff, too. Already purged a lot of stuff I didn't really like that I had picked up randomly over the years, but there's still a lot left in a grey area where I'll have to reread to answer the key question of "will I ever want to read this again in the future?" to decide if I'll keep them or not. Just had thought for a while of D Grayman as a series that I liked a lot, but I realized on re-examining it that I don't know if I'd say that or not anymore. (Plus like I said, have like 7 volumes missing on that one, so it has the additional "is this worth investing more money into?" aspect too, which is how I purged a number of series in the past.)

Manga has that problem where it REALLY adds up, because like, if I like a comic run I can buy an omnibus or two generally and be done, but if I like manga, you can end up with stuff like One Piece, Jojo's, Detective Conan, and Hajime no Ippo where they single-handedly manage to take up a significant chunk of my stupid huge collection (plus, even "smaller" series in the 10-20 volume range take a lot more space than a shorter comic run, haha).

Ideally eventually I'll move to what I do with comics nowadays, though: Stick to digital, physical only for stuff I LOVE. Because being physical only has left me with a LOT of stuff where I go "well, it's not BAD, but I probably don't need to own it physically... But then I can't recoup my money by selling it, but it's taking up space, but selling it is hardly better than just dumping it to get rid of it..."

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
god, i wish we had book-offs or equiv in (our respective countries)

a) get rid of all this fucking manga
b) get manga for cheap

as it is, i end up donating a significant portion to book fairs. (Libraries got too complicated, they want like pristine condition stuff...)

Status
Not open for further replies.