• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see Viz didn't take out volume extras for the individual chapter reader. They must have just straight dumped the volumes for most series.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
lol that would need three seasons. And a sequel for anime adaptations like we know, isn't guaranteed in any way.
h8Rg4QH.png

Here's hoping though.

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see Viz didn't take out volume extras for the individual chapter reader. They must have just straight dumped the volumes for most series.
what series and what volume extras do you mean? Haikyuu!! v29 (for example) doesnt include the bonus story on their reader, similarly v28 on the reader doesnt include the Movie Poster story.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Black Torch – Everything (Volumes 1 to 5)

So first of all the series got cancelled. I feel like the author did a decent job finishing up the main plot, but he clearly didn't have time to wrap up the side characters' stories. Their stories are introduced around volumes 2 and 3, and we get a little bit of development later, but are left as hanging threads at the end of the manga proper. At the end of the last volume there's an epilogue with about half a page of text for each character describing what happens to them after the ending though. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Overall I'll say I enjoyed the manga though. I liked the first half of volume 1 but wasn't a fan of volume 2, which I found relatively boring, but then things pick back up around volume 3 and I read the rest in two days.

The characters are decently fun, although obviously they could have used more development. I just wish the author was a bit less horny when it came to drawing the female characters though. I've seen worse, but trying to make your characters look badass while at the same time making them strike tits and ass poses rarely works out well – it just ends up looking silly.

Otherwise, I liked the art – it's not the most detailed or polished manga around but I liked the aesthetic. The cat/Mononoke Ragou is so damn cute too haha. When it comes to the fights are usually relatively short but I enjoyed them – I liked the way the powers were showcased.

One thing I wish we got more of was the main character talking to animals. I found those interactions pretty funny and made the main character more likeable.

So yeah, over all I wouldn't say it was great but it certainly wasn't bad either. Worth a read if you like action shounen manga and don't mind the fact it's leaving some loose ends.

Last edited:

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
what series and what volume extras do you mean? Haikyuu!! v29 (for example) doesnt include the bonus story on their reader.
I was catching up on MHA and I noticed the character profiles between the pages were there.

World Trigger also has half of the mini profiles from the end of the volumes which I guess got cut off from how they divided pages up.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd stopped reading Fairy Tail many, many years ago, but started checking out Edens Zero.
It's just sad to see Hiro Mashima is now pretty much only about sexual fanservice.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'd stopped reading Fairy Tail many, many years ago, but started checking out Edens Zero.
It's just sad to see Hiro Mashima is now pretty much only about sexual fanservice.
It sucks because Rave was a pretty good first manga and was legit good past the part where the anime ended.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was sure some character profiles in heroaca were part of some of the regular weekly chapters.
There are 2 types of profiles, the ones in the manga chapters are called UA files and show the caracters with their hero costumes, the ones in the volume extras don't have a particular name but they usually show the characters with casual clothes.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

This is why I didn't even bother with Eden's Zero, because I respect Mashima's strong work ethic and I like his art but goddamn do I hate how his plots became nothing but a vehicle for lewd content/fanservice. When FT started it wasn't even remotely as bad, and it just ramped up to like 11 by the end.

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I didn't even bother with Eden's Zero, because I respect Mashima's strong work ethic and I like his art but goddamn do I hate how his plots became nothing but a vehicle for lewd content/fanservice. When FT started it wasn't even remotely as bad, and it just ramped up to like 11 by the end.
And the worst thing with Fairy Tail was imho that it had a lot of genuinely good ideas (I love Acnologia for example) but each good idea is counterbalanced by a shitty idea/fanservice.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
And the worst thing with Fairy Tail was imho that it had a lot of genuinely good ideas (I love Acnologia for example) but each good idea is counterbalanced by a shitty idea/fanservice.

That's how I feel about Eden's Zero so far, though thus far I feel it has had less shitty fan service then FT.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that I just started Eden's Zero and you guys are discussing it. I dunno about fanservice (I'm on chapter 1) but damn what a way to start a story. Nothing genius, but it hit like a gut punch.

I'm going to stick with this though, as it feels like there's a severe lack of battle shonen lately outside of MHA and Black Clover.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's how I feel about Eden's Zero so far, though thus far I feel it has had less shitty fan service then FT.

Well if we compare the beginnings at least, from what I've seen, EZ is definitely coming for that throne.

The latest arc is about a guy kidnapping women, stripping them, and turning them into furniture.

Pretty sure there's a pyramid of naked girls/women in there somewhere too

Pretty sure the current Fairy Tail arc has the strongest woman character turned into a slave. >.<

All I have to say to that is... Again?!

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black clover is just fairy tail with all the stupid shit cut out. That doesn't mean it's good - it's still a battle shonen. But it's good for a battle shonen.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Black clover is just fairy tail with all the stupid shit cut out. That doesn't mean it's good - it's still a battle shonen. But it's good for a battle shonen.
I don't think it's really good for a battle shonen either. It always striked me as utterly mediocre even before the "Read the Light Novel to understand this arc" bullshit.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely a pyramid of quality with your low quality power level nonsense making up the larger base. And you can't climb to the top without the added depth of things like strategy, teamwork, and psychology to your combat.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
lol shonen continues to have one of the widest appeals of all anime and manga so its baffling to me why people try so hard to write them off. It's okay if you don't like a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
How aiming at teenagers make anything good or bad? Are kid shows bad too?
Anyway my question was rhetorical.

Because they don't have to think about what is being given to them and just enjoy.

Some of the kid shows aren't great tbh but that's not the demographic they care about so it doesn't matter. But there have been a bunch that can serve multiple demographics and i respect that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
lol shonen continues to have one of the widest appeals of all anime and manga so its baffling to me why people try so hard to write them off. It's okay if you don't like a thing.

This

I don't care much for pure harem series, but of the few I've read/watched I can acknowledge some are better then others. It's always a weird position to take "the thing everyone loves about this is what I hate about it"

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So I gave Eden's Zero a try. I didn't hate it (but I'm a shonen fan), but I do think the resemblance to Natsu, Lucy, and Erza is so OTT that if this story isn't tied to Fairy Tail then Mashima needs to be slapped. The sad thing is that didn't need to happen: this story would've been just fine with Happy android and Plue references.

The fanservice is definitely there, but it's not as overt as FT just yet. And Not!Lucy is a great character that's pretty relevant for our time.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So I gave Eden's Zero a try. I didn't hate it (but I'm a shonen fan), but I do think the resemblance to Natsu, Lucy, and Erza is so OTT that if this story isn't tied to Fairy Tail then Mashima needs to be slapped. The sad thing is that didn't need to happen: this story would've been just fine with Happy android and Plue references.

The fanservice is definitely there, but it's not as overt as FT just yet. And Not!Lucy is a great character that's pretty relevant for our time.
Mashima draws character faces and eyes differently in this new series, with them being rounder than what was in Fairy Tail. The Erza one is intentional though.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Shonen is filled with misogynistic crap and a lot of it is brushed off as "for the teens". Is this really what Japan wants their male teens to be reading?

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it's more prominent in Shonen, especially when so many series are just male wish fulfillment crap. We are seeing more mangaka write more balanced stories but the genre is still filled with shit.
I guess that will change the when more magazines want prominent Western audiences. It seemed to help Jump cut down on the stuff anyway.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I started reading World Trigger a few days ago thanks to the new Shonen Jump subscription plan/service. I think it was in this thread that someone told me it starts off slow and doesn't really take off until chapter 20. I found that things started getting interesting when they introduced Jin. He's probably my favorite character right now. I'm glad that Osamu, Yuma, and Chika formed a team together in Border! Interested to see how Chika will grow since she seemed to have zero combat ability at the start. It was fun to see Reiji's (I believe that's his name? the one teaching her) reaction when he came back to check in on her sniping practice.

Also, am I understanding this correct? Yuma's father is Japanese? They referred to Japan as his homeland, so does that make him human? Is the distinction between human and neighbor just which "side" they come from?

I also began rereading Blue Exorcist! I stopped a long time ago but can't remember where exactly. I've forgotten how much fun this manga is! I was preparing myself for some unpleasant stuff though, since I recall not enjoying how Yukio didn't seem to accept Rin and blamed him for their (surrogate) father's death. That, and there was also Bon. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved to find out both of those were resolved in a single chapter each. And I have to say, I really like what little of the world of Blue Exorcist I'm learning about already. Just the fact that there's a bunch of information readily available for these would-be exorcists to learn from and all sorts of lore and whatnot really gets me excited! It's a whole lot more exciting than World Trigger's setting so far anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.