• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I started reading World Trigger a few days ago thanks to the new Shonen Jump subscription plan/service. I think it was in this thread that someone told me it starts off slow and doesn't really take off until chapter 20. I found that things started getting interesting when they introduced Jin. He's probably my favorite character right now. I'm glad that Osamu, Yuma, and Chika formed a team together in Border! Interested to see how Chika will grow since she seemed to have zero combat ability at the start. It was fun to see Reiji's (I believe that's his name? the one teaching her) reaction when he came back to check in on her sniping practice.

Also, am I understanding this correct? Yuma's father is Japanese? They referred to Japan as his homeland, so does that make him human? Is the distinction between human and neighbor just which "side" they come from?
Yugo was human and came from Japan though he spent most of his recent years traveling through the neighborhood. Neighbors from what has been shown so far are mostly human.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Shonen is filled with misogynistic crap and a lot of it is brushed off as "for the teens". Is this really what Japan wants their male teens to be reading?

I'd rather writers have the freedom to create content, within reason, of what they want instead of presenting the implication that there is a sort of set of universal morals and ethics that writers ought to uphold just for the sake of creating only content that "enriches the development of the minds of Japanese youths."

Most readers ought to be able to, for example, see Diabolik Lovers and understand hat only in fiction would throwing a girl in the pool for not saying you're the best would go unpunished. And clearly that that guy is the best husbando but is clearly not the type of guy you'd fall for in the real. I'd hate if dialover was never made.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
OPM 99 Part 3

lmao Phoenix Man still wasn't done. I liked that Child Emperor had to outsmart him instead of beating him in a contest of strength, it made for a funnier ending.

Oct 25, 2017
My Princess, You Must Die! - 2

This manga is embodied of dark comedy and satirical to make it less cringe, or maybe less funny than you think.

Also, poor doggy.

Peco

Oct 29, 2017
Italia
Ore wa Mada Honki Dashitenai Dake

xiktiw.jpg

What.
A.
Fucking.
Masterpiece.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
UQ Holder 155: *sigh* This manga flits between great and stupid to me. Touta and Kuromaru? Adorable. Touta and Karin?? Wtf am I even reading... :/

Oct 25, 2017
*decides to try reading Dragon Ball in the Jump Vault*
Holy crap it looks terrible! The quality is so low! I think Viz needs to rework the series.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Jigokuraku Vol 1

Really enjoying this so far. It doesn't have furigana so I'm taking it a bit slower than usual, looking up more words than I usually would, but it also gives me more time to look at the art.

I like that I'm not really sure where this series is going to go. Some characters that I thought would be somewhat important got quickly (and gruesomely) dispatched haha... I also like how even though they keep on showing you supernatural feats throughout, they only show you the really weird stuff right at the end of the volume. It makes for a good cliffhanger. Really keen to see what's next.

Radiant 30

1546140224-5d67d259-3f5a-4370-bb71-2b404cad9536.jpeg

lol

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shonen is filled with misogynistic crap and a lot of it is brushed off as "for the teens". Is this really what Japan wants their male teens to be reading?

That's on the publisher and the editorial of the magazine to decide what is published and the public itself buying the material. It's not like parents out there in Japan didn't protest about some series before in shounen magazines, sometimes that happens but you can count in one hand the times that changed something which was basically only Harenchi Gakuen which was cancelled in the 70s as one of the first ecchi manga.

And the readership of any magazine and it's demography depends. Here examples for the magazines of Shueisha:

Tirages-Boys-2018.jpg
Tirages-Girls-2018.jpg

With Shonen Jump for example, here's a more detailed readership percentage:
9 years old and below (3,2%), 10-12 (9,6%), 13-15 (16,4%), 16-18 (17,6%), 19-24 (25,8%), 25 and above (27,4%)

You can see more details for the other magazines here, which is also a source for the images above.
http://www.mangamag.fr/actualite/ac...pre-publication-de-manga-de-shueisha-en-2018/

In the case of Shonen magazine which is a directly competitor being also a weekly shonen anthology, their readership of teenagers and children are quite smaller in comparison to WSJ and most of their public is above 20.

Yes, but it's more prominent in Shonen, especially when so many series are just male wish fulfillment crap. We are seeing more mangaka write more balanced stories but the genre is still filled with shit.

Shonen isn't a genre, it's a demography. Even if you're using it for Battle Shonen, it's called Battle Manga in japan for a reason as it can fill every demography.

I guess that will change the when more magazines want prominent Western audiences. It seemed to help Jump cut down on the stuff anyway.

That's not going to happen. Manga is a domestic product much like the magazines and publishers are domestic as well. There's a reason for why licensing exists since the publishers don't have subsidiaries in other countries for that, which in comics market that's quite common even in the US considering that Image, Marvel, DC and many others have to license their series to publishers of other countries as well.

And what is your example on jump? You must be talking about Viz Shonen Jump because the actual magazine shonen jump never did something like that, which in that case makes your example quite weird as the english shonen jump isn't the original and is irrelevant for the case.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Weird. Is it the Viz staff taking a break because it said the next chapters are out Jan 6. Or are they just out super early?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather writers have the freedom to create content, within reason, of what they want instead of presenting the implication that there is a sort of set of universal morals and ethics that writers ought to uphold just for the sake of creating only content that "enriches the development of the minds of Japanese youths."

No one is talking about making them illegal. But critique is inherently a part of any creative work. If mangaka don't wanna be called out for sexist shit, then they should either change it or get thicker skin. Or draw privately and don't publish. When you make a public work, people critique it. It's a sign of a mature art. Uncultured trash is when these things are suppressed in favor of shallow discussions.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shinshunki Bitter Change #63

I can't believe we're probably getting a happy end unlike what happened in the original web manga. Can't wait to see future chapters and developments.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Ordered some volumes (I'll post pics when I get all of them), but one of them has a small hole in the cover, which I don't mind that much, but for another, the pages are somewhat warped to one side. I'm trying to stack other books on top of it to straighten it out, but I might just send it back for another at this point. Lately I've been having constant damage issues when ordering from Amazon.
No one is talking about making them illegal. But critique is inherently a part of any creative work. If mangaka don't wanna be called out for sexist shit, then they should either change it or get thicker skin. Or draw privately and don't publish. When you make a public work, people critique it. It's a sign of a mature art. Uncultured trash is when these things are suppressed in favor of shallow discussions.
Also, thank you for this post. I was thinking of a reply, but couldn't put one together as perspicuous as this.

Last edited:

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Read Punpun and Umibe back to back. Anyone have a recommendation for something kind of dumb but consistent and upbeat so I can mend my emotions back together? Something like HxH I guess. Not a Naruto or a Fairy Tail.

Also anyone ever read Innocent? Is it any good?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Read Punpun and Umibe back to back. Anyone have a recommendation for something kind of dumb but consistent and upbeat so I can mend my emotions back together? Something like HxH I guess. Not a Naruto or a Fairy Tail.

Wait, what do you mean by dumb? Because I think that's the last word I would use when talking about HxH lol.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Wait, what do you mean by dumb? Because I think that's the last word I would use when talking about HxH lol.
Dumb fun I guess. Easy to read, very upfront with its objectives. Don't have to read between the lines, or feel anything too significant emotionally. Don't get me wrong, I really like HxH and I think it's great (latest arc notwithstanding). But I wouldn't call it deep. But despite thinking that, I do also feel that the writing and characterization is a step above what I have read from the likes of Naruto/Fairy Tail/Bleach ect.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Dumb fun I guess. Easy to read, very upfront with its objectives. Don't have to read between the lines, or feel anything too significant emotionally. Don't get me wrong, I really like HxH and I think it's great (latest arc notwithstanding). But I wouldn't call it deep. But despite thinking that, I do also feel that the writing and characterization is a step above what I have read from the likes of Naruto/Fairy Tail/Bleach ect.
At the end of the day, it's still a battle shonen, and I'd say it's pretty deep given that restriction.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Bolded doesn't make sense to me lol. HxH is neither upbeat nor dumb. But anyway, I guess try Orient? It's by the creator of Magi.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Dr. Stone is what you need. Also Kimetsu no Yaiba, for INOSUKE.

But if you want a cast of dummies to love read Black Clover.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Not really into sports manga. Thanks though.

Dr. Stone is what you need. Also Kimetsu no Yaiba, for INOSUKE.

But if you want a cast of dummies to love read Black Clover.
Yaiba looks almost exactly what I'm looking for. Dr stone looks decent as well. I have not heard very good things about black clover though. Thanks for the suggestions, look perfect for cooling down with.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Beware of digital release of Vol. 6, Kaguya-sama: Love Is War
I didn't notice this yellow blue image in my Japanese import. Somehow Viz Media added this in my Kindle copy. You will also have to look forward to Kaguya calling President as President Shirogane Vol. 7 onwards.

eDYwQi2.jpg

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Asadora! 5-6
Well the opening chapter did label this as a series about the full life of Asa. Little did we know that it would be the story of her spending decades trying to pay off the massive amount of rice balls she bought on credit as emergency relief.

Interested to see what the pilots plan is.

Hinomaru Zumou 217-218
The more subdued heart pupils are kind of startling lol. Almost want Sanji heart eyes but those are too comical for these scenes.

Switch 8-11
:(

Pretty sudden and I'm not sure how I feel about the execution of this plot point. I suppose the author wanted to get to make sure that this event occurred by the end of volume 1. Should get a better sense of how the series will progress in the next couple of chapters now that we are through the "prolouge" of sorts.

Indeed

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
In Haikyu, does Shoyo actually have red hair, as in, it's not just stylized like most series?
Watching through the English, and they have Ukai calling him a ginger, which I don't think was in the Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.