• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
ECcBjVy.png

(Base OP credit to dani_dc)​

Welcome to the manga thread! You can also talk webtoons, and tangentially comics as well.

General Rules
  • DO NOT post, link or request scanlations
  • DO NOT post images with website logos in it
  • DO NOT post NSFW Images or content

A Guideline for Posting About Manga
Bold the name of the series and the chapter which you are going to discuss. Other community members browsing should be able to understand what series you will discuss, and possibly avoid if they want to dodge spoilers.

Example:
The Promised Neverland 100

Wow that is one big belly button

Regarding Spoilers
Feel free to discuss any translated manga without spoiler tags as long as you have properly marked which manga you're talking about (as detailed in the guideline above).

If you want to post a spoilerish image, insert it in a spoiler tag.

Use your best judgment: if there's something that you think is a significant spoiler on a chapter that just came out, add some extra notice.

If you want to discuss a chapter that is not yet translated from Japanese or not yet released, please use spoiler tags to discuss it and clearly mark the post as a raw or a leak.
Hunter x Hunter 999
Regarding location:
They're actually on Earth

Where to buy manga
Thought this might be useful to some here.
I just figured out I can change my address on amazon.com to a US one and if I buy a manga that says 'kindle & comxiology' it will auto sync to my EU comixology account. This let you buy some region locked stuff like some Viz titles.

Monthly manga recommendations for a variety of reads:

Impressions, Reviews, Recommendations Storage
Lists of poster commentary used to be kept back in the day, but I've taken to popping it all onto a wordpress storage instead. You can find impressions, reviews, and recommendations from the past at MangaOT, which I am slowly populating. The tags are a bit messy, but it should be easier to find something to read because, unlike the old LONG LISTS FOREVER, there are categories, tags, and a search (in case you just want to read what certain posters read). I am trying my best with curating what I end up dumping there so you can maybe complain comment and let me know if I should be more selective etc.

Previous Threads
What are you reading - Oct/Nov 2017

On announcements
If you have an important announcement to make in the thread, feel free to use this image.
Q9bkN3T.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That's a damn good logo.

Also, with a new thread means I should probably stop procrastinating and catch up on the stuff I read.

Oct 25, 2017
Thread could have work out better, imo. Yes, I know this is the second OT and still too early for this new website. The logo is great, by the way.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Son Goku To answer your question here, OP does a good job of advancing the plot. It's just set up pretty quickly that there are like 30 steps you need to climb, and it takes like a year to climb one.

Oct 25, 2017
Tomo-chan 707

Misuzu is....
laughing?

What sorcery is this?

Kengan Asura 86

oRTyZrd.png

Well, you're not wrong. But still, it was pretty ballsy that Fisherman has taken it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Madoka - Dorikano (SFW doujin)

Bw49qAF.png

This is how every new thread should start for me. With Maitake coursing through my veins I similarly feel like I could defeat Walpurgisnacht with just my little pinky. Not only was it packed with her traditional blend of genius humour and serious appreciation for the source material, it was also thoroughly educational - I had no idea the tips of Moemura's braids could canonically be used as weapons while she was transformed. The devil wings + school uniform combo is also a novelty for me, but it looks great on Homura, as does any combination of clothing and accessories.

I can't find anything on the author's pixiv to suggest she's doing a new MadoHomu release for C93, so I guess it's back to occasionally reviewing her older works and rocking back and forth slowly for now.

Oct 25, 2017
So I got bored and reread a whole buncha bleach in no particular order which was probably a mistake. I dunno, I still like it despite its flaws. I think the Quincy arc gets a bad rap and while it wasn't a complex plot or anything had a lot of fun moments, even at the end. I'll never argue it was objectively good, but I still had fun on a limited reread. I'll stand by that dude who was actually just a giant hand. Giant hand guy was great! I mostly read it cause I wanted to try and guess what would be good for Kubo's next thing (He's coming back to Jump sometime in 2018 with presumably a one-off but who knows what else?) and I think the parts where Bleach worked best were either the human side slice of life kinda stuff or the weird stuff. Ichigo doing low stakes antics with friends was always consistently entertaining and funny. I think Bleach actually had a pretty fantastic and underutilized supporting cast. Hell, I even enjoyed most of the goofs from Xecution when they were around being kinda chummy. On the other spectrum, I think Bleach doesn't get enough credit for some of the weird shit in it. It had a lot of creature designs that ignored a lot of concepts of traditional anatomy (handguy was great guys!). I think Kubo might do good with some horror manga, but obviously, the more serious the tone the more his many writing problems will probs show up, so 50/50 if it wouldn't turn up nonsensical at the end.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your work dani and drama
5792djx0u.png

...you started a new thread just so dramatis could
say he was the OP?

No. The previous thread was titled for October/November, so Ahri contacted dani to see if he wanted to make the new one, and dani suggested drama do it instead, since they did a flawless job back at the old place.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like some yuri to start off this new thread!

Dorikano
(Madoka doujinshi) by Maitake2

dorikano_207vseq.png

The lengths to which Homura will go to protect Madoka are not to be underestimated. Good thing Kyouko is around to knock some sense into her once in a while.

Yuurii (One-shot) by Mountain Pukuichi

058jes5d.png

Ghost yuri. A pretty fluffy and light-hearted one for once.

Their Story ch147

Time for mophead to get his romance sidestory.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your work dani and drama
5792djx0u.png

No. The previous thread was titled for October/November, so Ahri contacted dani to see if he wanted to make the new one, and dani suggested drama do it instead, since they did a flawless job back at the old place.
There's only like 1000 posts in the last thread

Oct 25, 2017
Saotome-Senshu ch.54
Pretty low key chapter this time, fixing the boxing ring after a flood, or something? It honestly feels like I've lost track of stuff since the last chapter. Just some nice character moments, in preparation for whatever Saotome's next big match will be.

Engaged to the Unidentified vol.8 ch.12
Rule of thumb is, if you say you want to watch a horror movie, but deep down you're too scared to actually watch it, chances are you should probably skip it.
Poor Mashiro...still a kid.

Hatarakanai Futari up to date
It's nice to see the two siblings having moments of fun outside of the house. As well as continuing to make Maruyama the butt of the joke at every moment.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel we're splitting hairs either we kept the Oct/Nov thread for December or we started the 2018 thread in December.

In the end does it really matter?

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Hinomaru Zumo 154
Immediately gets an off screen L after winning the tournament.

The team all coming to challenge him to a final match :(

Mob Psycho 100.1-100.17
Nice arc. Especially the latest chapter. Good for Mob.

Nidonodin

Oct 28, 2017
Nice logo!

Helck 105

Finally the fight ended. Vamirio got it right.

Sheriff Evan's Lies 32

Evan's secrets protected.

Mob Psycho 100.17

I feel you Reigen, those allergies are pain in the ass.
Super quick confession though!

Oct 27, 2017
Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- 21

Violence between siblings is wrong, even if they make heart symbols while being pummeled. Hoping Kuki runs into the self-professed actress extraordinaire in her bloodied state, because another serving of spooky would do wonders for her personality.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- ch21

Never change, Kuki.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai ch12

img00016sggmcapu.jpg

Being a dietitian is tough work. I envy him.

Gokicha!! ch56

Humans always invent such strange and pointless games. At least Gokicha had some fun with it.

Hatarakanai Futari ch230

The father desperately trying to hitch his son.

Mob Psycho 100 ch100.17

Good on Reigen for coming completely clean, and own it.

Also good on Mob for accepting all that, as well as handling the confession.

It was a nice finale that wrapped up everything.

Yurucamp ch9

Fancy and handy little thing. 100 bucks is kinda expensive for some sheets of steel though.

AKB49 ch229

Well, he hasn't been found out at least.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Viz seem to have a good few series that are available digitally but are region locked. Its really annoying. Tried to buy both Dorohedoro and When we were there and they don't even show up in store searches apart from viz's own website.

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
Yona of the Dawn Chap 42(Volume 8)

So after having separate arcs to introduce Jaeha, Gija and Sinha...the yellow dragon just shows up out of the blue without any fuss. Okay then well I guess that's one way to introduce a character to the group.

Oct 25, 2017
what was wrong with the old thread?

*confused*

Noblesse 487

Hey more strong guys.

Luckily
Rai is back to full power after Muzaka's death/totally not dead stunt

Last edited:
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
I'll clarify, regarding the thread situation.

Ahri asked dani_dc to make a new thread for December since he made a thread titled "Oct/Nov". He asked dani because dani was the one who provided him with the content of the OP, so he figured dani could make future Manga OTs.

dani asked me if I wanted to resume making the OTs. I mentioned that the threads didn't need to be monthly and Ahri's thread could last until January 2018 before transitioning to a new OT. dani suggested that the new OT could just be "2018 OT" posted a few weeks early.

So I made a 2018 OT and posted it a few weeks early, with Ahri's and dani's blessings. There was nothing wrong with the old thread, just a shift into an OT that will probably last the next year. Hope that alleviates some confusion.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yotsubato 99

Staying in the fancy area near Tokyo station?

Where is Koiwai getting the money to afford this?

I'll clarify, regarding the thread situation.

Ahri asked dani_dc to make a new thread for December since he made a thread titled "Oct/Nov". He asked dani because dani was the one who provided him with the content of the OP, so he figured dani could make future Manga OTs.

dani asked me if I wanted to resume making the OTs. I mentioned that the threads didn't need to be monthly and Ahri's thread could last until January 2018 before transitioning to a new OT. dani suggested that the new OT could just be "2018 OT" posted a few weeks early.

So I made a 2018 OT and posted it a few weeks early, with Ahri's and dani's blessings. There was nothing wrong with the old thread, just a shift into an OT that will probably last the next year. Hope that alleviates some confusion.

This is essentially what happened.

Sorry for any confusion.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Hey new thread!

Been reading Hinomaru Zumo as a brainless read here and there and it's ok. Very clearly b-tier sports Jump with all the pitfalls of no worldbuilding, shallow powerlevels etc but what surprised me is that it kinda sold me on sumo for a bit when I wasn't into the sport at all. For the first half or so it just does nothing except address a bunch of criticisms of sumo like that it looks lame, there's no weight classes, the rules are strict/ungrounded, etc. And I felt like the answers hit it pretty well actually. There's still a lot of questionable parts that it never goes into like the obsession with Japanese born fighters (this is the worst part personally) or the hierarchy/lifestyle commitment, it actually just doubles down on them but I guess you can't have everything. As far as the actual fights go they're whatever (and the manga is 99% fights now so I doubt I'll continue much more than this).

Oct 27, 2017
Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 38-38.5

AX3ADfu.png

Three cheers for Kana, who managed to stimulate her beloved senpai's melon and bring her to new heights. I look forward to their future careers as aquatic idols or something. Meanwhile, the lion king both succeeds and fails at understanding a maiden's heart.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
Houseki no Kuni Ch1

The art style is nice, also the setting and plot seen interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Komi-san wa Komyusho desu vol.5 Omake

ACP5gJs.png

See, if the demon king had just kidnapped Komi-san instead then he could've had a much easier life. 10/10 would crossover again.

Oct 27, 2017
Dear resetters, let's continue on to 2018

About that, I severely broke my leg and now that the surgery has passed, I'm bound to stay at home with my leg up. Please advise me some lengthy manga to read so I can pass time
(you can see every manga I read here : https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/iCham )

Also, don't forget that the Hunter X Hunter number of chapters bet is still on for 2018. Tell me by quoting me with the number of chapters you think HxH will last.
The link for the Google Spreadsheet is below :
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I approve of this

ColossalLazy

Oct 26, 2017
Dear resetters, let's continue on to 2018

About that, I severely broke my leg and now that the surgery has passed, I'm bound to stay at home with my leg up. Please advise me some lengthy manga to read so I can pass time
(you can see every manga I read here : https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/iCham )

Get well soon. Here some recs:

Keyman
Kokou no Hito
Glass Mask
7 Seeds
Black Lagoon
Yumekui Merry
Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!

Status
Not open for further replies.