• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Nisekoi I've just completed the manga, which I started in December after finding out it after a suggestion of a similar manga to We Can't Study - my impressions will be under spoiler, because I will make some references to some characters who don't immediately appear in the beginning (or they appear in a particular way), but I absolutely suggest it to anyone who liked even just a bit We Can't Study, because Nisekoi is even better.

First of all, I was warned about the presence of a lot of fillter chapters - anyway not only I liked most of them (except for the strange weapongs of Claude which Tsugumi brought any time to school without any reason, but they fell in place with the point of the story in which they were set. Maybe it's because I read all the around 200 chapters in one month, but there wasn't any moment in which I stopped to read just because what I was reading wasn't getting my attention (and there are manga which succeed in doind this, like Bleach and the new Eden's Zero, both of which I dropped).
Then, we can move on the story. The specularity of the beginning and of the ending of Raku's story is absolutely well done: first he promised to marry Onodera when he was young and just pretended to be engaged with Chitoge because of their clan clashes (how much fun were the family members of Raku?? I loved them from the first chapters, in their complete absurdity), then at the end he rejects Onodera and gets married which the person with which he shared a false love. Also the way in which both Chitoge and Raku start to develop their reciprocal feelings seems quite natural, particularly in the chapters about the theater piece of Romeo and Giulietta, one of the best part of all the story (now I understand why the authour of We Can't Study gave so much importance to a similar scene in that manga).
Anyway Nisekoi is clearly an harem manga, in addition to be a comedy and love story manga, so I should add some consideration for each one of the girl who fell in love with Raku (his classmates were right to be angry with him!):
1) Onodera: honestly I didn't find her so appealing, her development was quite inferior to the other characters, there were nice moments like the Christmas' eve but it was in a point of the manga in which it was clear what the ending would have been. Basically in all the situations with Raku she was embarassed and rarely was able to do something more.
2) Tsugumi: she's one of my favourite characters of Nisekoi, from the first chapters in which she (not he, Claude) appears until the end in which she completely changes her life. Differently from Onodera, despite being imbarassed by the only presence of Raku, all their interactions and dialogues seemed more vivid and the way in which she declares her love to Raku hit me, I never thought that she could decide do to it, ma in that way.
3) Marika: this is how a character can be hated at first, really appreciated at the end of a manga. She's maybe the more reflective and active member of the group, she knows everything about the past and she knows she doesn't have any chance but she never surrenders, and the ending of her story is better in some aspects then the ending of the manga itself, which honestly seemed a bit rushed.
4) Yui: well, maybe she's the only character of this harem group which didn't add a lot to the manga, these are the only filler chapters which weren't so brilliant, even though she was a nice characters and had a lot of potential, but suffered from being introduced so late in the story.
5) Haru Onodera: talking about filler chapters, I really liked all the chapters with her! Thanks to Raku, she was able to go over her uncertainty, to confess herself what love is and understand more about her future. Fortunately she didn't tell Onodera that Raku liked her, instead Chitoge would never have had a chance. Good job.
6) Chitoge: last but not least, she's the best girl, with a perfect development through the story. Her feelings were perfectly displayed with her words and her actions, the author clearly put a lot on effort on her and all the Chitoge fan should really thank (I admit, I absolutely was a Chitoge fan from the theater chapters!)
Then we should not forget Ruri and Shu, for a manga of this genre they were very well written secondary characters, particularly Shu and his love for Kyoko.

To sum up, I suggest this manga if you like "slife-of-life" manga and want something to read without having to be too much careful (like it could be with Death Note ot Liar Game, for instance).

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Oh I just remembered that Kimetsu no Yaiba vol 14 and Yakusoku no Neverland vol 12 are coming out in two days. Good way to finish the holiday break :D

Jigokuraku vol 2

Still really enjoying this. Lots of mystery, the fight against Rokurouta was fun, and I enjoyed seeing Sagiri get her shit together and be badass again. It'll be interesting to see when/if/how the different groups will meet each other.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nisekoi I've just completed the manga, which I started in December after finding out it after a suggestion of a similar manga to We Can't Study - my impressions will be under spoiler, because I will make some references to some characters who don't immediately appear in the beginning (or they appear in a particular way), but I absolutely suggest it to anyone who liked even just a bit We Can't Study, because Nisekoi is even better.

First of all, I was warned about the presence of a lot of fillter chapters - anyway not only I liked most of them (except for the strange weapongs of Claude which Tsugumi brought any time to school without any reason, but they fell in place with the point of the story in which they were set. Maybe it's because I read all the around 200 chapters in one month, but there wasn't any moment in which I stopped to read just because what I was reading wasn't getting my attention (and there are manga which succeed in doind this, like Bleach and the new Eden's Zero, both of which I dropped).
Then, we can move on the story. The specularity of the beginning and of the ending of Raku's story is absolutely well done: first he promised to marry Onodera when he was young and just pretended to be engaged with Chitoge because of their clan clashes (how much fun were the family members of Raku?? I loved them from the first chapters, in their complete absurdity), then at the end he rejects Onodera and gets married which the person with which he shared a false love. Also the way in which both Chitoge and Raku start to develop their reciprocal feelings seems quite natural, particularly in the chapters about the theater piece of Romeo and Giulietta, one of the best part of all the story (now I understand why the authour of We Can't Study gave so much importance to a similar scene in that manga).
Anyway Nisekoi is clearly an harem manga, in addition to be a comedy and love story manga, so I should add some consideration for each one of the girl who fell in love with Raku (his classmates were right to be angry with him!):
1) Onodera: honestly I didn't find her so appealing, her development was quite inferior to the other characters, there were nice moments like the Christmas' eve but it was in a point of the manga in which it was clear what the ending would have been. Basically in all the situations with Raku she was embarassed and rarely was able to do something more.
2) Tsugumi: she's one of my favourite characters of Nisekoi, from the first chapters in which she (not he, Claude) appears until the end in which she completely changes her life. Differently from Onodera, despite being imbarassed by the only presence of Raku, all their interactions and dialogues seemed more vivid and the way in which she declares her love to Raku hit me, I never thought that she could decide do to it, ma in that way.
3) Marika: this is how a character can be hated at first, really appreciated at the end of a manga. She's maybe the more reflective and active member of the group, she knows everything about the past and she knows she doesn't have any chance but she never surrenders, and the ending of her story is better in some aspects then the ending of the manga itself, which honestly seemed a bit rushed.
4) Yui: well, maybe she's the only character of this harem group which didn't add a lot to the manga, these are the only filler chapters which weren't so brilliant, even though she was a nice characters and had a lot of potential, but suffered from being introduced so late in the story.
5) Haru Onodera: talking about filler chapters, I really liked all the chapters with her! Thanks to Raku, she was able to go over her uncertainty, to confess herself what love is and understand more about her future. Fortunately she didn't tell Onodera that Raku liked her, instead Chitoge would never have had a chance. Good job.
6) Chitoge: last but not least, she's the best girl, with a perfect development through the story. Her feelings were perfectly displayed with her words and her actions, the author clearly put a lot on effort on her and all the Chitoge fan should really thank (I admit, I absolutely was a Chitoge fan from the theater chapters!)
Then we should not forget Ruri and Shu, for a manga of this genre they were very well written secondary characters, particularly Shu and his love for Kyoko.

To sum up, I suggest this manga if you like "slife-of-life" manga and want something to read without having to be too much careful (like it could be with Death Note ot Liar Game, for instance).

Glad to see that you think that Chitoge is the best girl of the manga since she was my favorite character. I didn't like Nisekoi as much as you but it was a good manga to me to read, even if I dropped it one time and came back to read later on. I prefer We Never Learn as a manga, artstyle, comedy, characters and story (It's one of my favorite romcom, so that's why) so we have different visions over the two works but seeing a person that like WNL liking Nisekoi which is a bit similar in some aspects is really nice for me to see, much like you seeing it's positive points that many people glass over.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Glad to see that you think that Chitoge is the best girl of the manga. I didn't like Nisekoi as much as you but it was a good manga to me to read, even if I dropped it one time and came back to read later on. I prefer We Never Learn as a manga, artstyle, comedy, characters and story (It's one of my favorite romcom, so that's why) so we have different visions over the two works but seeing a person that like WNL liking Nisekoi which is a bit similar in some aspects is really nice for me to see, much like you seeing it's positive points that many people glass over.

I can also understand that other can prefer We Never Learn (or We Can't Study, I don't know if there are an official translation, in my country - Italy - they're still not releasing it despite Nisekoi which is at the 18th volume), because it focuses on different aspects (for instance, the beginning of the story doesn't involve love but a comic situation - the two girls aren't able to learn the subjects which they want to learn at university-, and all the love interactions came with progression, the authour is keeping a good pace about them). Anyway I think that both are good manga, in a niche genre of course, but can be appreciated for different reasons.
PS in WNL I'm a Fumino fan, maybe it's my fault that I can't support the female characters who are already in love with the main male character

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Viz didn't update KnY with the volume 4 chapters on their service despite releasing volume 4 today. I wonder if there will be timed exclusivity to push people towards buying the volumes?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Viz didn't update KnY with the volume 4 chapters on their service despite releasing volume 4 today. I wonder if there will be timed exclusivity to push people towards buying the volumes?

I would assume so, or perhaps they'll upload a bulk of backlog chapters for the gap series at once (demon slayer, act age, jujutsu, haikyu)

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Who are the best of characters that based off from or similar to cat (mostly traits and behavior)?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I really love Tower of God.

But jesus christ does it have one of the worst protagonist ever.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Doing a Kaisen reread, and I just love the little HxH echoes.

NoAo7G5.png

qdgcAJW.png

Ho784Il.png

Who are the best of characters that based off from or similar to cat (mostly traits and behavior)?
Making some kind of list?

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I really love Tower of God.

But jesus christ does it have one of the worst protagonist ever.

I think that SIU is keeping Baam's real character development for the last arcs, but since the story is getting so long I don't know when it will be actually. Anyway I liked him when he was
Viole, much better than the usual Baam

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
There are so many times I want to reach in, grab him and scream "You stupid motherfucker!" but then I realize his only human contact for years has been Rachel so =/
I think that SIU is keeping Baam's real character development for the last arcs, but since the story is getting so long I don't know when it will be actually. Anyway I liked him when he was
Viole, much better than the usual Baam

It wouldn't be so irritating if there weren't glimpses of a much more interesting character every now and then.

And also if his supporting cast weren't all leagues more interesting character wise than him.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i saw a physical Their Story book at kinokuniya and was very tempted but i don't read chinese :(

yen press do me a solid

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the ONE will finally begin releasing new chapters of the One Punch Man webcomic after a huge hiatus. I actually figured the series was finished and he was just going to let Murata catch up and continue where he left off.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Jigokuraku vol. 3

Damn, RIP Tenza, seemed like a good dude. Gabimaru is a complete beast though. Like, he's shown to be very powerful from the beginning but that was an impressive fight. A shame the enemy was even more OP haha

Will read the fourth volume tomorrow.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Hell Warden Higuma 2

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this series as a shonen manga. Seems to deflect some of the tropes at least a bit and I think the MC's powers are cool. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Hell Warden Higuma 2

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this series as a shonen manga. Seems to deflect some of the tropes at least a bit and I think the MC's powers are cool. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Yeah, I like it the most out of the 3 new ones. I think it has a lot of potential if it plays its cards right. Now if it will do that, that is the question... But I'll be hopeful until proven otherwise, lol.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Well it took Viz long enough to release their January 3rd chapters.

World Trigger 172-173:
Well this match is pretty insane. Spawning Escudo from trion bodies, Sniping through floors, Murakami's sick circular slash with senku kogetsu, and Chika nuking the mall and getting a point through danger close. I'm guessing Azuma will end up evading them though and Yuma will probably go down considering he's already pretty beat up.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I semi-wish that CMX didn't exist because I want to buy the physical copies of BLAME! and Wotakoi but goddamn they are so cheap digitally.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I like it the most out of the 3 new ones. I think it has a lot of potential if it plays its cards right. Now if it will do that, that is the question... But I'll be hopeful until proven otherwise, lol.

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic for sure, but it just vibes like so many series I like (YYH, Shaman King, Bleach) that I can't help but hope for the best. A bit early to say that, sure, so it's mostly just me being hopeful, but yeah.

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 172-173

Chika is absolutely broken now that she's using a lot more different triggers. Jeez, that mall blast was ridiculous.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can also understand that other can prefer We Never Learn (or We Can't Study, I don't know if there are an official translation, in my country - Italy - they're still not releasing it despite Nisekoi which is at the 18th volume), because it focuses on different aspects (for instance, the beginning of the story doesn't involve love but a comic situation - the two girls aren't able to learn the subjects which they want to learn at university-, and all the love interactions came with progression, the authour is keeping a good pace about them). Anyway I think that both are good manga, in a niche genre of course, but can be appreciated for different reasons.
PS in WNL I'm a Fumino fan, maybe it's my fault that I can't support the female characters who are already in love with the main male character

I really agree with your points. And hey, I'm also a Fumino fan. She's my favorite character on WNL by far and definitely one of my favorite characters in manga by far. I loved her since the first time I saw her design and the personality, gags and development of the character just confirmed it. <3 She's amazing.

Also, sorry for the wait, I just saw it now.

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Exorcist 107

Well that was intense, glad he gave Yuri one final chance.

I wonder if someday the true elixir will be made in this.

Cant wait to reread all of this in one go in the final volumes.

Owari no Serafu 75

I wonder if it will slip and we get someone of the resurrected to actually die. Imagine the horror.

Epic chapter. I love all the secrets and the hidden unclear past.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Attack on Titan 113

Levi to Zeke:

Radiant 33

Second one of my favourite characters finally showed up:

1546629687-bfc1683f-386b-4f69-b161-666c2efd1283.jpeg

Also, her dragon is really cute haha

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 172

Hyuse and Kuga make the best team, also escudo is used in so many awesome ways, wow.

Poor Mikumo but at least he got a hit. Ashihara is really sticking to Mikumo just never becoming like godly and epic like most boys action manga protagonists.

lol screw chika, she got my Okudera :( my OkuderaKoarai :(

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Is Kubo going to start a new serialization anytime soon?
I thought there was something more to the Burn the Witch one shot...

Oct 25, 2017
Zomviguarna 1

AyC8Snt.jpg

It's like as if late George A. Romero is writing this Shounen Ai's manga with some crazy action pace. It's just so fun, charming, but in some bizaare way because of the *way* she is. Let's say she kinda show a little "boy-complex" a bit too much, but with some humor way.
Also
xWXkf47.jpg

Renjou Desperado 4

20MqP7o.jpg

A Clint Eastwood of Desert-punk in reversal world of manga. And yes, this is another Shounen Ai with incredible detailed and for some reason I can't follow the pace because of it contains a lot flashy around on panels, and I somehow adore it.

And this manga just might be DTL's alley.

Q13Eto6.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Finished The Voynich Hotel a couple of days ago. Was great, so I immedietly went into Nickelodeon, another work from Sayman Dowman, and it's... Okay?

Being a collection of one-shots, it's obviously going to be uneven, but the first eight have been mostly misses for me so far.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Kimetsu no Yaiba vol 14

Another fun volume, read through it all in one go. I wasn't expecting to care about Muichirou but the flashbacks were effective and his insult match with pot dude was funny.

That reaction face too:

1546675964-b79e6fac-85ab-4e62-9a3f-e3905b0ba816.jpeg

lol

Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 100

Poor Phil, he doesn't deserve this 😥

OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
General Recommendation: Tokyo Tareba Musume

iMBpuIl.jpg

"Before the Olympics" romance | 9 volumes, complete work, licensed in English
"I spent all my time wondering 'What if?' Then one day I woke up and I was 33."
Rinko doesn't think she's that bad-looking, but before she knew it, she was thirtysomething and single. Now she wants to get married by the time the Tokyo Olympics rolls around in six years, but . that might be easier said than done! (source)

From kera:
I'll say Akiko Higashimura is an absolute genius in modern women's manga. She has a such a great understanding of people and brings them to life in her characters, especially the women so often botched in fiction. (source)

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Lol Amazon.

I send back two damaged volumes, and they send me replacements which are also damaged. I'm fine with one of them, but the other's cover is crushed on one corner.

Obviously doesn't help that they keep shipping them in flimsy pieces of cardboard. One last try, and then I'm switching to somewhere else.

Oct 25, 2017
Hell Warden Higuma 3

Kobato is a great addition, fun too and I like his laid back attitude which seems similar to Higuma, so no wonder they are best friends. Finally line makes me wonder more about their backstory.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Kase-san and Bento
Cute

Kase-san and Shortcake
Also cute

Tbh i liked this series better as that one-off because there's not much stakes here besides our heroine being laughably inexperienced and therefore prone to all your typical shoujo misunderstandings + yuri (saw my crush with a girl, am I being dumped, what goes beyond kissing, etc, etc.) Probably I just think the heroine is a bit too naive for my tastes.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
today I discovered Dungeon Nursery, laughed my ass off with every chapter, then learned it's apparently been canceled and I'm now crying lmao. It was too good apparently.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, feel like a jerk since it was largely positive discussion happening on the series in here that's triggering this thought from me, and is real late because I was waiting for Viz's digital releases for the week to dodge spoilers from scans for everything buuuuut... We Never Learn doesn't even come close to Nisekoi, IMO. Like, the latter I'd hold up as one of the best examples of a general harem manga, while the former I'd call near the bottom of the barrel. Which at least to me comes largely down to the fact that I mean, the race of who "wins" doesn't matter at all in these things, because it's completely damn obvious from the start every time (or at least I have a 100% hit rate and it sure seems that way to me.) What DOES matter and what makes or breaks these things, though, is the humor and the development the characters get along the way. And man, the characters are so bland and underdeveloped still in We Never Learn, outside of I suppose Fumino getting a little special attention as the clear winner and thus actually getting a little backstory and junk (surprised she gets less play in the comedy and stuff.) Aside from that, frankly everyone seems hardly defined outside of their relationship to Yuiga and their basic trope description. And the humor is just so very, very basic trope stuff 95% of the time, even more so than the rest of the genre. :/

(I swear I'll get back into the groove of reading through stuff more, so I can talk more about how Phoenix is every bit the classic it's held up as and stuff, rather than griping about stuff like this.)

Oct 25, 2017
Kengan Asura END(?)

Damn, the ending is just like that. I wonder how do author comes up with new MC for next arc?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.