• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
YGO ARCV 42

This definitely is up there with ZeXaL for best of the YGO mangas like, wow.

So much passion and intense dueling and we finally have the GODs out of the way. Lets go February!
Dx9Kw4JUcAAfwEM.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Hell Warden Higuma 5

Continues to do the exorcism idea on a level that is comparable with the long running ones in JUMP SQ. This is just plain amazing.

ne0;lation 6

Epic conclusion to an awesome arc, just six chapters in and this is honestly some of shonen jumps tightest, strongest, best writing in years. Literally everything about it is on a level that not even the current manga can even reach. It's just that good.

Also love the scene and the crows.
Dx9VRrGU8AAPAm_.jpg:small

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

So what will this provide that viz's shonen jump app doesn't already?

Edit

What is the difference between the Viz's Shonen Jump app and MANGA Plus?

Well, for starters, there will be more titles available through MANGA Plus. We plan to add as many titles as we can, even relatively minor ones that previously never had in English release.

Viz focuses mainly on Weekly Shonen Jump titles, while MANGA Plus will have titles from other Shueisha publications, like Jump Square and the Jump+ online manga.

MANGA Plus will also be available in more regions. It will available throughout the entire world except in China, South Korea, and Japan, as they already have their own separate services. Previously under-served regions like Southeast Asia will be able to read manga through this app. Up until now, Shueisha's titles have been distributed throughout North America, Europe, Asia etc., via local publishers or distribution lines. This marks the first time that Shueisha is expanding direct service globally.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's LAND LOCK unless the mangaka fucked up the title haha

As for the backlog, if it's like the Japanese version, everything is available but only the last three chapters (and sometimes the first couple) will be free for smaller series like this or Jigokuraku.

Sometimes they do specials where you can read the first 10+ chapters of a series for free for a limited amount of time as well. You can also upvote and comment on chapters, so there's a small social aspect to it.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the only new series are

• Summertime Render
  • Nano Hazard
  • The Sign of Abyss
  • Blue Flag
  • Abyss Rage
  • LAND ROCK
  • Soloist in A Cage
  • Curtain's up, I'm off
  • Spotless Love: This Love Cannot Be Any More Beautiful.
  • Dricam
  • Moon Land

Wonder how much backlog will it cover

Only new series aren't those since there's translation for I'm from japan, David-kun and all WSJ manga that never had translation continued

So what will this provide that viz's shonen jump app doesn't already?

It's much better than VIZ. It has way more titles. It's like the japanese shonen jump+

Oct 25, 2017
the gaps in the backlog are kind of annoying.

Though for the series from Viz jump you do get every chapter on viz sitet/and app, so I guess someone would actually need to have both services

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Only new series aren't those since there's translation for I'm from japan, David-kun and all WSJ manga that never had translation continued

It's much better than VIZ. It has way more titles. It's like the japanese shonen jump+

But you have to buy specific back log issues if you want to catch up correct? Unlike viz where your paid sub gets you all the backlogs.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
But you have to buy specific back log issues if you want to catch up correct? Unlike viz where your paid sub gets you all the backlogs.

Yeah you need to buy the backlog. If it's like the Japanese version there'll be an in-app currency you can use to buy/rent older chapters (you can get some free coins by doing some things, but otherwise it's ¥30/chapter). You can also buy entire volumes.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah you need to buy the backlog. If it's like the Japanese version there'll be an in-app currency you can use to buy/rent older chapters (you can get some free coins by doing some things, but otherwise it's ¥30/chapter). You can also buy entire volumes.

Gotcha, still between this, crunchyroll, and viz we're living in a new age of manga. It's gonna be a lot harder for the rampant piracy that exists in western manga communities to be so easily looked the other way upon going forward.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Looked at Haikyu and Act Age and they are the Viz translations.

Both Hinomaru Sumo and Blue Flag seem to be translated by Media Do (I'd guess some of the rest of the new series in english are as well). Can't find much information about them.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Looked at Haikyu and Act Age and they are the Viz translations.

Both Hinomaru Sumo and Blue Flag seem to be translated by Media Do (I'd guess some of the rest of the new series in english are as well). Can't find much information about them.

The article mentioned that translations done by viz will be used in the app.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to stick with Viz Shonen Jump if this doesn't include the backlog

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I guess thats a future update since theres no buy button anywhere.

Ha yup, I didn't notice it was already out. Yeah it looks slightly different than the Japanese version. It's a bit slicker but there are fewer series and yeah, can't buy anything so far.

Compared to the Japanese version, it seems like they applied a sharpening filter on the pages:
ao8FuGK.jpg
z3MgSwK.jpg

BsnyifR.png
zXp6fG1.png

The quality isn't that great in either case though.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
do these services usually offer like the first vol free or so?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
3 chapters is probably sufficient to grok if you like the vibe of a piece or not I guess. 1 is pretty abysmal though

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Flag is now officially releasing in English too so I'm so damn happy.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/#/titles/100043

and since it is

Chapter 40

Dqr8kfJ.png

This has been a fantastic depiction of someone coming out and learning to accept and love themselves. Touma seemingly coming out too but getting an assuming negative reaction to that will be interesting to see where it goes next chapter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha yup, I didn't notice it was already out. Yeah it looks slightly different than the Japanese version. It's a bit slicker but there are fewer series and yeah, can't buy anything so far.

Compared to the Japanese version, it seems like they applied a sharpening filter on the pages:
ao8FuGK.jpg
z3MgSwK.jpg

BsnyifR.png
zXp6fG1.png

The quality isn't that great in either case though.

Wait, Media Do? This first one isn't a Shueisha manga? Or is it a localization of some korean webcomic?

Oct 25, 2017
Curtains Up! I'm Off 1-8

Glad its differentiated itself from Act Age with a massively self doubting self loathing low self esteem lead character who needs continued praise and validation from others and is thrust into the spotlight of the theater club. Really feels like so much heart and so relatable at times. Love yoshi so much, other cast are great too, like Way and Torano.

Funniest moment.
Dx97yuHUYAIc6cA.jpg:small

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Curtains Up! I'm Off 1-8

Glad its differentiated itself from Act Age with a massively self doubting self loathing low self esteem lead character who needs continued praise and validation from others and is thrust into the spotlight of the theater club. Really feels like so much heart and so relatable at times. Love yoshi so much, other cast are great too, like Way and Torano.

Funniest moment.
Dx97yuHUYAIc6cA.jpg:small
Looks like Midoriya a little.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Finally got HxH to load on the app. The expected first three chapters, and then the three most recent (388-390).

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It's LAND LOCK unless the mangaka fucked up the title haha

As for the backlog, if it's like the Japanese version, everything is available but only the last three chapters (and sometimes the first couple) will be free for smaller series like this or Jigokuraku.

Sometimes they do specials where you can read the first 10+ chapters of a series for free for a limited amount of time as well. You can also upvote and comment on chapters, so there's a small social aspect to it.
Do you use Manga Plus to read manga in Japanese? I've still just been buying physically or getting digital copies from Amazon Japan (which isn't the best quality often times).

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Do you use Manga Plus to read manga in Japanese? I've still just been buying physically or getting digital copies from Amazon Japan (which isn't the best quality often times).

Usually I just use the shounen+ app to check out manga (in Japanese) that interest me before buying the digital version on Amazon (I sometimes get physical volumes but it's more expensive)... At the moment I'm only following 地獄楽 and Landlock on the app.

The image quality is similar to the Kindle app (not great like you say), but I find the Kindle app better in terms of usability (flicking and zooming through pages, overall responsiveness, how fast you can get to your collection, etc.).

The one feature I really like about the shounen+ app is that the comment section is pretty active (top comments get thousands of upvotes for example).

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
This randomly popped up on my timeline:

lmao at that title, I'm interested in checking it out just because of that.

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
Kaguya 136

Oh my God.

This chapter is gonna send me to the hospital for heart-related disease.

I'm so damn happy for this couple.

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
Golden Kamuy 188

Between this and Kaguya Weekly Young Jump is gonna have a hell of a sale this week.

Take that Ogata you back-stabbing cat-faced piece of shit.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
lttp: kengan ashura
recently found out it ended and there's already a sequel, so i finished it
pretty good martial arts manga i suppose even though it got too ridiculous
onwards to kengan omega now

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
lttp: kengan ashura
recently found out it ended and there's already a sequel, so i finished it
pretty good martial arts manga i suppose even though it got too ridiculous
onwards to kengan omega now

Wait, there's a sequel? But still not licensed in the US, right?

The manga plus app has some series with way more chapters for some reason. Like The Sign of the Abyss seems to have everything available (33 chapters plus extras).

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017

New Humble Bundle by Kodansha looks like serious value. 20 quid for what I think is around 80 volumes of DRM free manga? I read a good chunk of them and I think it would probably still be worth it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.