• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Was lurking on some other websites and it seems like Kimetsu No Yaiba is entering it's final arc.
D0FZm2wXcAE6ulX.jpg

I recently got into the series so this is a bit disappointing to hear but I hope that the mangaka is ending it on their own terms. And like when TPN was announced to be entering it's final arc I'll say that I'd rather it be short and sweet than become a dragged out bloated mess like some Shonen do.
And as much as Jump probably wants popular series that go for 400-500 chapters, this is definitely a good thing for mangaka and their health.

You can see this as well with them picking up more and more series that have a writer/artist combo.

Dec 28, 2018
And as much as Jump probably wants popular series that go for 400-500 chapters, this is definitely a good thing for mangaka and their health.

You can see this as well with them picking up more and more series that have a writer/artist combo.
I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the manga industry but I heard it's rough and that a super long series wouldn't be good for their health so I'll agree that shorter series are a good thing. And I have seen a rise in the writer and artist combo and that's probably the way to go as I'd imagine it's less stressful for the mangaka.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece isn't a bloated mess, and there are plenty of other long running mangas that managed things fine.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the authors developping health problems writing long running mangas seems to be a more common problem than the manga itself dropping in quality.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
How would one even boast about it?

"Get wrecked HxH fans, Oda is killing himself faster for our series than Togashi is for yours!"
To use your comparison:

"Oh, look how much Oda cares about his series! Shueisha even has to force him to take breaks. Unlike other, lazy mangaka with all their damn breaks, who don't even care about their series."

A revolting take, to say the least, but I've seen it many times.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How would one even boast about it?

"Get wrecked HxH fans, Oda is killing himself faster for our series than Togashi is for yours!"
I have seen some people boasting how Oda sleeps less than 8 hours a day, but tbh it iwas hard to tell if it was really boasting or just a thowaway statement.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
To use your comparison:

"Oh, look how much Oda cares about his series! Shueisha even has to force him to take breaks. Unlike other, lazy mangaka with all their damn breaks, who don't even care about their series."

A revolting take, to say the least, but I've seen it many times.
Disturbing yet unsurprising.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Weekly manga is some absurd bullshit in of itself. Monthly makes less money, but it has to be better than that schedule.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
- Two more series coming to Jump.

- The first (coming next issue) is apparently influenced by (its "theme") Journey to the West.

- The second (coming the issue after that) is by Hiroshi Shiibashi, who's best known for "Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan" (2008-2012; 210 chapters).

Lm2Zreu.png

- Samurai 8 (Kishimoto's new series) starts at the end of April/beginning of May.
Shiibashi had a one shot last year. Wonder if it will be that. Was some exorcist thing I think.
Reading bad takes about Osamu as a character almost makes me wish World Trigger never came back from hiatus. They boggle the mind sometimes.
How dare there be one battle shonen protagonist that doesn't possess incredible skill, unique powers, and important family members from the outset. Osamu's development is great.

Have Yuma right there to mostly fill the standard role anyways lol.
Was lurking on some other websites and it seems like Kimetsu No Yaiba is entering it's final arc.
D0FZm2wXcAE6ulX.jpg

I recently got into the series so this is a bit disappointing to hear but I hope that the mangaka is ending it on their own terms. And like when TPN was announced to be entering it's final arc I'll say that I'd rather it be short and sweet than become a dragged out bloated mess like some Shonen do.
For as much as I like the series I think it is good if this is the final arc/stretch (could take a year or two). Almost all the pieces are in play to resolve open plot lines in a natural way. Don't really want to see them introduce some previously unknown greater evil or keep introducing waves of underlings for the current big bad (which seems unlikely with the current set up).

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
How dare there be one battle shonen protagonist that doesn't possess incredible skill, unique powers, and important family members from the outset. Osamu's development is great.

Have Yuma right there to mostly fill the standard role anyways lol.

Thank You.

Osamu even actually performs well given mid range is more of a support class and he was only outsmarted this match by Border's best captain who ahd 6 matches prior to learn Osamu's weaknesses.

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen some people boasting how Oda sleeps less than 8 hours a day, but tbh it iwas hard to tell if it was really boasting or just a thowaway statement.
Most working adults get less than 7 hours of sleep per day so I dont think oda is doing anything notable or even commendable getting less than 8 hours when most people do the same. Wheres my kudos and medals for this lauded achievement?

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Lol Oda ain't getting close to 8 hours of sleep. Pretty sure he is always quoted as saying 3-4 hours a day, usually 3. But yeah the weekly mangaka life is freaking rough, I feel for them. I wouldn't mind a monthly release schedule either.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol Oda ain't getting close to 8 hours of sleep. Pretty sure he is always quoted as saying 3-4 hours a day, usually 3. But yeah the weekly mangaka life is freaking rough, I feel for them. I wouldn't mind a monthly release schedule either.

Yeah, the schedule they posted years ago implied he - and most other weekly mangaka - has such a strict and tight schedule that sleep is more of a luxury than anything. They seem to work 20 hour days just to keep everything coming out smoothly each week, rarely taking any time off even when the manga is on break.

It's no wonder so many of them become ill or never start a new weekly manga after they finally finish their main one.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I said less than 8 hours because I don't remember the exact number just that it was less than healthy amount. 3/4 hours still is less than 8 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw man 11

Cant believe theyre really doing the touch my bewbies plot. Go away.

Also she should get her own apartment.

Higuma 9

curious how higuma will get out of this, sad his friends are kind of useless this time around.

ne0;lation 10
D0Mt92xWkAEgHv8.png

The racing manga we've always needed in jump. That drift, epic.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Since Boku no Hero is on break this week and only other thing I look forward to in Jump aside from One Piece is Haikyuu--I combined them together.

The result is...a result

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Gintama 701
Sorachi is at this point huh

Should have known it wouldn't have finished in the Giga run with how it started. Nice to see Shinpachi reclaiming 8th place in the popularity poll.
Is Act Age a niche manga or what, for being in Shonen Jump I don't see anyone talking about it.
Latest chapter was so good. The whole play arc was very impressive.
There's 4 chapters missing between the scans and the official simulpub and I'm not reading ahead before reading those chapters. It seems to be doing pretty well in Japan at least.
A different group bridged the gap.

Would be nice if Viz got the earlier chapters up soon, but seems like it will wait until whenever they start releasing the volumes.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Hitorijime My Hero vol 1
This has been sitting by my coach for like a month, and I was finally so bored watching wrestling tonight I finally dug into it. I watched the anime late last year and adored it- if you can get past the super-problematic aspects of it (mainly that its a relationship between a teacher and a 15ish yo student), it's actually a very warm world that isn't completely judgement free, but super accepting.
While the anime is great, the manga? It's kind of a mess. I would have no idea what the hell was going on if I hadn't watched the anime. Apparently, this is actually the sequel to a previous series by the same auther with a lot of the same characters, so the book just.... expects you to know everyone. While the art is great, it's really hard to recommend this

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Does anyone on here read Jagaaaaaan? I really like that manga, it gets translates slow and it doesn't have an official Translated release - bit I find it so good. Insanely fucked up, sometimes feels a little like an R Rated shounen though lol.

Its not one of my top 5 or even 10 manga of all time, but I really enjoy it and always wait for the next chapter to come out

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Damn. Shouldn't be too surprised, I guess. Well, it makes the portrayal of the female characters even more impressive now.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
That's the mangaka of jujutsu kaisen right? Why did so many people assume he was a she?
Not exactly sure. Maybe the combination of the female characters/writing + them never saying otherwise? I think there was (still is?) a similar ambiguity with Haikyuu's author.

That guy on Twitter also posted an extra from volume 2 that may have confirmed/hinted at the truth, but I don't know Japanese!

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
Not exactly sure. Maybe the combination of the female characters/writing + them never saying otherwise? I think there was (still is?) a similar ambiguity with Haikyuu's author.

That guy on Twitter also posted an extra from volume 2 that may have confirmed/hinted at the truth, but I don't know Japanese!
Allegedly from what I can gather, people thought that he was a woman because of an omake where hhis mascot character was revealed to have been a woman in a suit or something like that.

Dec 28, 2018

Guess I can see why people would assume that then. And sorry to ask you another question but is this series any good? Your comment about the female characters has piqued my interest since it's rare to find a Shonen manga that treats its female cast well.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I said less than 8 hours because I don't remember the exact number just that it was less than healthy amount. 3/4 hours still is less than 8 hours.
Because less than 8hrs is a complete non issue and the norm for the majority of the world, while less than 4-5 is problematic for ones well-being and health.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I can see why people would assume that then. And sorry to ask you another question but is this series any good? Your comment about the female characters has piqued my interest since it's rare to find a Shonen manga that treats its female cast well.
Have you tried World Trigger? It's pretty good with it's female cast as well and was possibly the best at it in mainline Shonen Jump up until Neverland released.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I've noted how the current arc reminds me of the worst parts of Bleach.
Charmy being half-something only furthers that. Yeesh...

This was my exact though upon reading the Charmy chapter, that it reads like late-era Bleach.

Did Viz stop translating chapters of One Punch Man? I know they were behind and basically using it as filler in weekly shonen jump releases, but that seems like a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.