• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Allegedly from what I can gather, people thought that he was a woman because of an omake where hhis mascot character was revealed to have been a woman in a suit or something like that.
Ah, that would make sense.
Guess I can see why people would assume that then. And sorry to ask you another question but is this series any good? Your comment about the female characters has piqued my interest since it's rare to find a Shonen manga that treats its female cast well.
It's pretty decent (getting close to 50 chapters). It's flying under the radar over here, but its most recent volume outsold the best from all the other series that came out around the same time (2017/2018).

CllNb2a.png

TquUOWW.png

EQAgHAL.png

vCUECrn.png

It's a very battle shonen series, and gives you some Mob Psycho 100, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Tokyo Ghoul/early Bleach vibes (never watched/read the latter two, but from what I hear). The writing isn't mindblowing or anything, but it's a fun read.

And I have heard from some that the art style is a little off-putting for them.

Dec 28, 2018
Ah, that would make sense.

It's pretty decent (getting close to 50 chapters). It's flying under the radar over here, but its most recent volume outsold the best from all the other series that came out around the same time (2017/2018).

It's a very battle shonen series, and gives you some Mob Psycho 100, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Tokyo Ghoul/early Bleach vibes (never watched/read the latter two, but from what I hear). The writing isn't mindblowing or anything, but it's a fun read.

And I have heard from some that the art style is a little off-putting for them.
You had me sold at Mob Psycho 100. I'll give this one a read through as well.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
kanata no astra 1-49 end
found out about this manga after checking out kono manga ga sugoi 2019 list
turns out it's a new manga from the same author of sket dance (which i really liked back then)
no surprise, it's also very good
shame it's so short though :<
can't wait to see his next work!

Oct 25, 2017
kanata no astra 1-49 end
found out about this manga after checking out kono manga ga sugoi 2019 list
turns out it's a new manga from the same author of sket dance (which i really liked back then)
no surprise, it's also very good
shame it's so short though :<
can't wait to see his next work!
not really that new, guess it did finish up early 2018, though fortunately he is getting an anime out of it. I dont think it'd have been just as good if it was longer, Perfect length.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yeah i meant a new work after sket dance
didn't know it's getting an anime, i think it would be a great 2 cour anime

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
the fable
another manga from kono manga ga sugoi 2019
pretty good i guess
turns out it's getting a live action movie adaptation soon

Oct 27, 2017
Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu 1 - 34

I love the contrast between the "normal" drawings and the faces some of the characters make.
It's a pretty funny manga.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Clover has been pretty good recently.

It's a big war arc that basically has every relevant character doing stuff but significantly less stupid and tedious than that Fifth Ninja World War or whatever it was.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 140

Lmao. Love the advertisement for the Kaguya live action movie.

Iino is starting to catch some serious feelings now. Let's go Ishigamiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The cover of the latest Jujutsu Kaisen volume looks weird. It looks like he's got a qtip stuck to his thumb lol

51XHw16eLQL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
MHA Latest

Seeing this new group of people made me realize that The League of Villains really doesn't have a end agenda goal post killing AllMight and causing chaos

I mean one for all did but the league?

Oct 25, 2017
MHA Latest

Seeing this new group of people made me realize that The League of Villains really doesn't have a end agenda goal post killing AllMight and causing chaos

There's stuff I like about the League of Villians but they're really not that impressive. Like Class B could probably take them down if they tried and that's just not a good look

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
MHA Latest

I feel like that's largely because the League were little more than All For One's pawns and just extensions of his will. The League really needs to shape up if they actually are going to be the final villains of the series.

Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia 216-217

Eri's quirk is still a mystery to them when Monoma inspects her with his ability like....couldn't Deku just tell them about her quirk or has he already forgot that he were there with Eri like, 2 arcs ago? And more importantly, a fresh new arc! (Finally)

And I agreed with the above that League doesn't show a sense of hostility or intimidation (yet), perhaps they were just starting appearance in progress and we have not seen their potential yet.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia 216-217

Eri's quirk is still a mystery to them when Monoma inspects her with his ability like....couldn't Deku just tell them about her quirk or has he already forgot that he were there with Eri like, 2 arcs ago? And more importantly, a fresh new arc! (Finally)

The fact that it was a total dud made it pretty lame to have that as a cliffhanger for 215 tbh, felt like an excuse to just check up on Eri

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that's largely because the League were little more than All For One's pawns and just extensions of his will. The League really needs to shape up if they actually are going to be the final villains of the series.
yeah I am not feeling them so far as end game villains with end game goals

the Yakuza actually had a hint of it with that needle/serum while the League on the other hand stole is just because "more chaos" like some random monsters with no common sense beyond hatred and revenge being their drive.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 140

Lmao. Love the advertisement for the Kaguya live action movie.

Iino is starting to catch some serious feelings now. Let's go Ishigamiiiiiiiiiiiiii

The chapter where they revealed they got an anime that was entirely just the club being made to shout ANIME VERSION BANZAI was so fucking good

whenever the manga goes meta its really amazing

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from a small handful of villains in the first parts of the series MHA has never had a strong cast of villains. In fact I'd say its one of the weakest aspect of the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from a small handful of villains in the first parts of the series MHA has never had a strong cast of villains. In fact I'd say its one of the weakest aspect of the series.

I wouldn't call them weak or anything. They have a lot of striking designs and ingeresting characters/personalities, it's just they never do anything. Like they'll be gift wrapped a few cool moments but for the most part they just seem to twiddle their fingers for the majority of arcs.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call them weak or anything. They have a lot of striking designs and ingeresting characters/personalities, it's just they never do anything. Like they'll be gift wrapped a few cool moments but for the most part they just seem to twiddle their fingers for the majority of arcs.

Most of them are just a powerset that is to be overcome. The most interesting thing about a lot of them is how they're beaten. Personally I think most are forgettable as a good design a unique personality don't matter much when little to nothing is done with the majority of them except to give our heroes someone to beat up on.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This is the thing, they're not really used at all. My favorite section of the manga is Stain through All Might vs All For One, and that's largely because the bad guys are actually doing stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them are just a powerset that is to be overcome. The most interesting thing about a lot of them is how they're beaten. Personally I think most are forgettable as a good design a unique personality don't matter much when little to nothing is done with the majority of them except to give our heroes someone to beat up on.

That's fair. Those are all the reasons I really disliked the bird guys in the yakuza arc

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Personality wise I think the villains are very strong, Toga, Stain, Gentle, Twice are all character that I like to watch. I agree that they are weak tho, the LoV grew more though luck and AFO babysitting them than by their own merits
Tho it isn't that bad, I like to see the league growing from a joke organization to a real threat
The fact that it was a total dud made it pretty lame to have that as a cliffhanger for 215 tbh, felt like an excuse to just check up on Eri
I feel that was just a way that Horikoshi came up with to make people stop with the theories about Monoma's quirk

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
MHA Latest

It's really a problem with Shigaraki being beta as fuck. Dude has had two cool moments in the series (mall, end of overhaul arc) and the rest is of him being a massive goober. I really hope A4O ends up taking over Shigaraki's body and mind when the League inevitably breaks him out because Shig sucks.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 140

"We could be friends if you just never did anything to ever piss me off."

I guess that one way of attempting a ceasefire, Iino. I do like how at this point, their beef is mostly just on her end.

Also the "3 months" setup at the end for Ishi and Iino's eventual relationship at the end was pretty good.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The chapter where they revealed they got an anime that was entirely just the club being made to shout ANIME VERSION BANZAI was so fucking good

whenever the manga goes meta its really amazing

It's amazing. IIRC the actor playing Shirogane was mentioned a couple dozen chapters earlier too. Not sure if it was pure coincidence or if Aka is just a mad genius.

February 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
February 2019 Recommendation: Kimi ni Todoke

xRiIh2v.jpg

"Queen of slowjo" | 30 volumes, complete work, licensed in English, French, and Italian
With her jet-black hair, sinister smile and silent demeanor, Sawako "Sadako" Kuronuma always had trouble fitting in. But her whole life changes when she befriends the most popular boy in class, Shota Kazehaya. Can love trump her cursed life? (source)

From FlowersisBritish:
And, extra weird recommendation criteria, my favorite break up manga. Going through a shitty breakup? Read this and get lost in love and drama and all that nonsense and realize she/he/they were just not the one. (source)

Last edited:

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Funny I started reading the Kimi ni Todoke manga after loving the first season of the anime years and years ago. Really enjoy it despite not really being able to describe its strengths?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've tried to start kimi ni todoke like three times and it just hasn't stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.