• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

SUPER GLAD to see this getting a re-release- I bought the digital version from Amazon and thought the quality was shit, and then I saw that the physical book has been out of print for close to a decade now and is going to run you like $30 if you want it.
I'm not the biggest fan of double-sized releases, but when it's a 2 volume series, I feel it's fine

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Kingdom 592

2f0.gif

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Previously someone here was talking about these new official manga apps. I think they're a good start — they're covering the most popular stuff and making the last few chapters free is a good way to get scanlation readers to transition... IF they can keep up with scanlations. The Shounen Jump app is still kinda sluggish but Shueisha's Manga Plus app seems fine to me. It remains to be seen though if they can ever expand to wider varieties of manga. I think a big reason scanlations, and scanlation apps for that matter, persist is because of the sheer volume of manga that official translators will never get to.

So I've never read manga before and have the Berserk Deluxe Vol. 1 arriving whenever Amazon ships the pre-order as my very first taste.

But I have also had a few sets on my wishlist for awhile now and am sort of ready to pull the trigger on at least one.

-Akira Boxset
-Alita Boxset
-GitS Boxset

Any recommendations on which is best to dive in first for a newcomer? I am familiar with the anime and popularity for all three(90's stuff and I really loved GitS: SAC), but curious as to thoughts on the manga side for each.

(Not super interested in Shounen stuff personally. But should also mention that Nausicaa, Lone Wolf + Cub, and Blade of the Immortal are also in consideration as I do research on beloved recommendations and see those pop-up often.) Thanks for any insight.

Yeah just do all of those. Definitely do Nausicaä, Lone Wolf, and Blade. GitS is probably the shortest. The Alita manga starts to get pretty shounen though in the 2nd series — Last Order.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh woooooow, how have I missed this gem the whole time? Act-Age is incredible. The ending of that theatre arc is so exquisite.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Chainsawman is so disgusting.
And it's apparently the most popular of the new stuff? Just ugh.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Chainsawman is so disgusting.
And it's apparently the most popular of the new stuff? Just ugh.

If there is a God, Jump will can it. I cannot believe something so vile's still running.

Thankfully, it's ranking at the bottom with its fellow debuts (neolation and Higuma), so hopefully it'll be out soon. Regardless, I'm surprised nothing was booted following the two new series.

Dec 28, 2018
I dropped Chainsawman early on but from discussions I've skimmed through afterwards it seems like the goal of the main character is to touch a pair of boobs, though please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped Chainsawman early on but from discussions I've skimmed through afterwards it seems like the goal of the main character is to touch a pair of boobs, though please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

It is and he recently reached that goal only to realize touching boobs without the context of a relationship isn't really as exciting as he would have thought

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Like I can tolerate him having the idea, but they dedicated like 20 pages of him fondling.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
It is from the same guy that did Fire Punch right? Kinda weird he did this, even if FP was kinda out there too.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
It is and he recently reached that goal only to realize touching boobs without the context of a relationship isn't really as exciting as he would have thought

That, and his manipulative superior playing into his desires for the organization's gains.

I get they're depicting a damaged individual with no sense of boundaries and whatnot, but this isn't the way to go about it.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to say that Viz's translations for Kaguya-sama don't have quite the bite the fan translations did.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 141
Tsundere characters are always the best, undoubtedly.
I predict a difficult day for Shirogane...

Oct 27, 2017
5Toubun no Hanayome 1 - 76

Is it me or is there a similar premise manga ?

Anyway classic romcom with the main character being liked by his harem. I enjoy his reaction faces though.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
last saiyuki
this... actually looks kinda promising?
artstyle seems super 90s though, and the main characters are in grade school? aren't jump's main readers like middle school?
guessing the protagonist and his dad are descendants of sun wu kong (the dad even used the staff) and koharu is a descendant of tang san zang

The target demography of Shonen Jump and their weekly rivals like magazine, sunday and champion is between 11-16 but the majority of the readers of shonen jump for quite some time are in that order:

9 years or lower (3,2%), 10-12 (9,6%), 13-15 (16,4%), 16-18 (17,6%), 19-24 (25,8%), 25 years or more (27,4%)
http://www.mangamag.fr/actualite/ac...pre-publication-de-manga-de-shueisha-en-2018/

The Last Saiyuki seems pretty promising. I hope they don't just forget that the dad is a pretty terrible dad, though. I feel like that's something that would happen.

I've only started reading ACT-AGE since a bit before Jump became free, so I'm not super familiar with the characters. That said, this new Friendship is Magic "make some friends!" arc seems pretty fun.

Neolation is eh. But from the sound of things, I'm glad I dropped Chainsawman instead of this.

So I see I started Kimetsu no Yaiba right in the middle of its final arc. It's a shame, it's been pretty cool from what I read, but also, it's neat that they're sticking to making these guys the final bosses.

Jujutsu Kaisen has been pretty cool (also started recently). I love when villains have nature powers.

Higuma has been alright, but I think it has a lot of potential.

We Never Learn has been fun (also started recently). I guess I just didn't realize I wanted this kind of series.

Nice to see another person enjoying WNL <3

If there is a God, Jump will can it. I cannot believe something so vile's still running.

Thankfully, it's ranking at the bottom with its fellow debuts (neolation and Higuma), so hopefully it'll be out soon. Regardless, I'm surprised nothing was booted following the two new series.

I don't see how it's vile? What is it doing that it's so bad? Even the silly premise of the boobs still requires consent of the woman involved and the gore, well, that's not different than other manga out there.

As far as the manga sales, the position of the TOC is 2 weeks before the actual release of the magazine and the manga in digital is really going up on amazon and other services, along with the physical seemingly needing restock in some stores so we're thinking that it'll get at least 30k first week. Depending on the results, the positions on tocs will change in the next weeks, like Jujutsu did.

Like I can tolerate him having the idea, but they dedicated like 20 pages of him fondling.

Ehhh, I know it's a exaggeration and all but it was just 2 pages, then one page without nothing and then one more page and it ended there.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Happiness end
Shame it ended so early, I guess this manga isn't as popular as a trail of blood so oshimi wants to concentrate on that instead?

Oct 25, 2017
Neo;lation 12

Wow epic and intense way to end the race. Actually really liked how it was because of the actual road conditions that enabled brother Taa to catch up instead of something else. Really cool use of the road and not some act of god or hacking.

Awesome race. So want a fullblown racing manga to be in JUMP.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw Man #13
This Gun Devil is pretty interesting considering what it did. And the end with all the exterminators seems fun

Yui Kamio Let's Loose #1
Rosario+Vampire 2.0 I like the main girl and the comedy is nice but I still need to see more

Kimetsu no Yaiba #149
It's about time for Tanjiro to win this fight

The Promised Neverland #126
Oh, that end part was great. This arc is really getting good, which is nice since the last one that I really liked was Gold Pond

We Never Learn #102
Great conclusion for Sensei arc, even if I find that her arc still is a bit behind of Fumino's. I like all the girls of the manga but she's definitely up there with Fumino as the best.

The Last Sayuki #2
I'm loving this, the concept and the main protagonist. Can't wait to see more.

Jujutsu Kaisen #50
That ability is quite the thing

Act-Age #56
Yonagi is such a dork and endearing character. Best MC. Read Act-Age, people. One of the best manga out there.

David-Kun #25
That chapter was the first boring for quite some time.

Dec 28, 2018
The Last Saiyuki 2

The development between Ryu and his father this chapter was good. So glad that Ryu didn't just forgive his father right away considering what he put him through in the first chapter. It was a bit heavy on the exposition but we got to learn more about Koharu's ability and the Mou box so I was fine with it. Weary of the whole love thing and I hope it doesn't go down a creepy route.

Kamio Yui Lets Loose 1

Well this gave me some strong Rosario Vampire vibes but I can't say I'm a fan so far. Don't really like Kiito he's a douche, Nao is meh, and the main heroine Yui is probably the only character that will keep me reading. Only because it's nice to have another main female character and one that can kick some serious ass. Other than that chapter was kinda bland and I hope it improves in the next couple of chapters.

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsawman 13

Nice recovery from the terrible place the manga was going before. Only concern is that was a weird flashback and I dont understand the gun aspect of it since the house collapse. Was something missing.

HellWarden Higuma 11

Curious is we get a King Enma is actually bad thing happening.

Still good friendship speech. Also love the insight into Higuma.
D1VCS_FXgAIfmC_

Last edited:

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
Happiness - fin.

A good conclusion. I liked how it tied all the way back to Nora turning Okazaki in the beginning. Do wish Okazaki got a bit more focus in the latter half, but I'm content with this overall. Think the length was fine too.

A Trail of Blood ch. 46

Even with all the fuckery this manga's had, I was not prepared for the underwear panel here.

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Saiyuki 2

Good hope this doesnt turn into a romance, otherwise pretty good and I like how they resolved the thing with the dad. Doesnt look like he will be killed and die.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
By no means a completely original concept, but curious if Chainsaw Man's author has been reading a little Kaisen:

SMIfePa.png

IQu4bE1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.