• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the JoJo Part 4 hardcover volumes having a different design motif from the previous 3 parts?
This
1974706524.jpg

Versus the previous which looked like this
1421590654.jpg

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
What's up with the JoJo Part 4 hardcover volumes having a different design motif from the previous 3 parts?
This
1974706524.jpg

Versus the previous which looked like this
1421590654.jpg
Parts 1-3 were released in the Jojonium format which were re release editions in Japan, which Viz brought over. Parts four and onward don't have those...or at least DiU didn't the last time I checked.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how I don't think there's a Light Novel Era that I can think, this seems like the next best place. The Faraway Paladin manga has me enthralled and I basically NEED more. I see reviews on Amazon of people saying it's great. Can anyone else vouch for the novels?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Just received that Baki storage box. It's... pretty ugly lol:
mZY75dl.jpg

u22nqwq.jpg

It's nice having something to put the books in though.

Last week I also received the Japanese edition of Radiant (for reading practice) and the fifth volume of Jigokuraku which are visible in the top picture. The paper in the Japanese version of Radiant is much thicker than in the original version, which is nice. There's also an exclusive interview in Volumes 1&2.

Oct 25, 2017

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Lol, was browsing some old Jump covers and saw where they used to feature all the mangaka on the New Year's issue. Here's some from 1991-1994.

Inoue (23-26)

DYwMKYR.png
trvZhVS.png
FATwZIR.png
F1atvG4.png

Togashi (24-27)

ucPOfpF.png
KVD2hLG.png
lelT3dM.png
Zv1DFbx.png

Araki (30-33)

41I62GK.png
pf35DcB.png
ysDvxWU.png
MVik4te.png

Toriyama (35-38)

zksSPp2.png
6idQhaP.png
4TqYXHh.png
qeAMkL8.png

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oh wow. Just discovered 'The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious' and uh

this might be one of the best isekais lmao. Konosuba has competition for hilarious isekai. And since it already has an anime announced, I hope it's good. The writing alone will carry it.

When the hero goes into a store and says "I'll buy a 1000" then when they don't have that many says "then order them" with a complete serious face I fucking lose it. Is this me playing EVERY rpg?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tomo-chan Latest

Okay now I see why Fumita was on hiatus so long, he was preparing to turn this manga into Kaguya.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
oh wow. Just discovered 'The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious' and uh

this might be one of the best isekais lmao. Konosuba has competition for hilarious isekai. And since it already has an anime announced, I hope it's good. The writing alone will carry it.

When the hero goes into a store and says "I'll buy a 1000" then when they don't have that many says "then order them" with a complete serious face I fucking lose it. Is this me playing EVERY rpg?
It's really good. And there's an anime? Awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Seven Deadly Sins Oh no! The child I've been shitty to has betrayed me! How could I have foreseen this?

Attack on Titan There are so many lies happening in any given chapter now I've just learned not to believe anything anyone says. Also guessing that was Ymir and boy she looked pretty not super evil.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I finally finished off Fairy Tail and yeeeah, that is indeed not so hot. It's funny in that I don't think most of the flaws and mehness of it was all that different from what came before, but I definitely put up with its mediocre popcorn battle manga formula better at the start. I guess part is just that stretching it out into a giant finale makes that crap even worse? And I suppose the series ran out of worthwhile little bits of character developments to sprinkle in by this point so it's down to just dregs like "oh, here's Erza's mom she never met, I guess." Plus, y'know... orgasm magic. Still, in terms of series I've heard tons of hate for as they hit their end, I guess I'd at least rank it as better than Bleach and Reborn. I mean, it's much less actively terrible throughout and more just incredibly generic.

Also, weird that if you asked me to pick the most generic, run of the mill battle shonen series out there, I'd go with that and Black Clover, so clearly making your series about wizards somehow curses you to blandness. (Guess there's always Negima, though.)

Oct 26, 2017
Spent last weekend binge reading through We Never Learn--then spent most of today reading Komi cant Communicate....not sure if I'll continue Komi, tapped out around 83

Might get into Hi Score Girl after watching the anime or just wait for the OVAs. I guess next series to binge and not work on my comics is Promised Neverland

Oct 25, 2017
Living together with my anti-fan 41 - 43

Senior Jiang Chang x Xiao Xiao is my ship, I wish it could happen, instead of Jun x Xiao Xiao which seems to be happening? :( But Jiang clearly likes him but is not making any sort of move.

Best
D1lS7m4WsAEOO8h.jpg:small

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shonen Jump Issue #16 TOC

Black Clover (Cover/LCP)
One Piece
My Hero Academia
Kimestu no Yaiba
We Never Learn
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui (CP/25p)
The Promised Neverland
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Saigo no Saiyuuki (23p)
Dr. Stone (CP)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Haikyuu!!
Chainsaw Man
Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
act-age (CP)
Hinomaru Zumo
Shokugeki no Soma
ne0;lation
Gokutei no Higuma
Jimoto ga Japan

Issue #17
Cover/LCP: One Piece
CP: Haikyuu!!; Boruto; Chainsaw Man

Also, here's the sales of the volumes of the series that debuted this week (along with the ones on shonen jump+) in the thread:

And charts that this guy makes for sales overall, with numbers for this week already

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just received that Baki storage box. It's... pretty ugly lol:
mZY75dl.jpg

u22nqwq.jpg

It's nice having something to put the books in though.

Last week I also received the Japanese edition of Radiant (for reading practice) and the fifth volume of Jigokuraku which are visible in the top picture. The paper in the Japanese version of Radiant is much thicker than in the original version, which is nice. There's also an exclusive interview in Volumes 1&2.

Baki covers tend to be pretty ugly.

Which is always a bit of a shock since I find the manga art to be plenty fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Shonen Jump Issue #16 TOC

Black Clover (Cover/LCP)
One Piece
My Hero Academia
Kimestu no Yaiba
We Never Learn
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui (CP/25p)
The Promised Neverland
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Saigo no Saiyuuki (23p)
Dr. Stone (CP)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Haikyuu!!
Chainsaw Man
Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
act-age (CP)
Hinomaru Zumo
Shokugeki no Soma
ne0;lation
Gokutei no Higuma
Jimoto ga Japan

Issue #17
Cover/LCP: One Piece
CP: Haikyuu!!; Boruto; Chainsaw Man

Also, here's the sales of the volumes of the series that debuted this week (along with the ones on shonen jump+) in the thread:

And charts that this guy makes for sales overall, with numbers for this week already

Always impressive that it took 3 anime seasons and a movie for heroaca to get to 600k sales yet Neverland did on merit of storytelling and art alone.

Safe to say heroaca hit its ceiling.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap. I knew TPN was doing well but I didn't know it was already doing MHA numbers

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always impressive that it took 3 anime seasons and a movie for heroaca to get to 600k sales yet Neverland did on merit of storytelling and art alone.

Safe to say heroaca hit its ceiling.

To be fair, Neverland also got a pretty big boost after the anime for older and newer volumes but you're right that even before it was already putting more than 400k

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Caught up with Ao No Exorcist and I guess we had to get out Brother v. Brother nonsense...and Yukio's descent into maddness was stupid as
well

along with Mephisto's nonsense

Yukio: Tell me about our birth
Mephisto: No

Rin: Tell me about our birth
Mephisto: Okay

Like that made no sense and was probably the last straw that brokw the camels back.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds pretty close to me? The last TPN volume sold 600k according to that post which is around MHA numbers
MHA sells around 600k after 4 weeks, TPN volume 12 numbers is after 9 weeks, it only did about 450k after 4 weeks. Maybe this volume can reach 600k after 4 weeks but it is hard to tell

Edit to give more context:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018
I can kinda see why some people are frustrated with Emma as of late but at the same time
I dunno get why they thought Emma of all people would be fine with mass genocide. That's just not the kind of character Emma is.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Destroy all of Humanity. They can't be regenerated 3
IMG_0283_1_50.png
IMG_0285_50.png

The whole section with a trade of City of Trators (currently a $200 card in 2019) not being worthy of being traded for a Cataclysm (currently a $5 card) killed me

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Seeing how I don't think there's a Light Novel Era that I can think, this seems like the next best place. The Faraway Paladin manga has me enthralled and I basically NEED more. I see reviews on Amazon of people saying it's great. Can anyone else vouch for the novels?
I can't personally vouch for it, but the Japanese seem to review the original web-novel highly: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n5115cq/

Do of course take it with a grain of salt, since LN and WN can be vastly different or it can just be a polished version of the original.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Shokugeki no Soma

I can't remember a bigger misstep with a main villain. Asahi's motivations, methods and cooking techniques are all either rehashed, not relatable on any level, and poorly constructed (he came out of the left field). His portrayal is far too vanilla as well, because he is a massive creep with a rather pathetic motivation and cheap cooking methodology, and yet he hasn't really been called out for it. I mean he is a super easy target, but the author has taken the route of legitmating his schtick with the context of the narrative. Poor way to finish the series really.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Destroy all of Humanity. They can't be regenerated 4

IMG_0289_50.png
Tradewind_2_50.jpg

RIP being Tradewind locked. I very much apprciate anyone who thinks that Statis-locking someone is Fun (as someone who's favorite card is Blood Moon).
Also, glad that they are increasing the focus on the two main protagonists relationship. Seeing how she is actually hated by all the other girls because she is "too perfect" was good, as was seeing him stand up to them for talking behind her back

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Previously someone here was talking about these new official manga apps. I think they're a good start — they're covering the most popular stuff and making the last few chapters free is a good way to get scanlation readers to transition... IF they can keep up with scanlations. The Shounen Jump app is still kinda sluggish but Shueisha's Manga Plus app seems fine to me. It remains to be seen though if they can ever expand to wider varieties of manga. I think a big reason scanlations, and scanlation apps for that matter, persist is because of the sheer volume of manga that official translators will never get to.

I have no idea if it's just me but the Viz app is just bad. Besides the no bookmarks thing, it always seems to be sluggish to load (like I can't change pages smoothly) though maybe that's just my device or something. In comparison, the Shuiesha app (manga plus), which does mainly vertical scrolling, loads much more smoothly. As I mentioned before, it's great that they're simulpublishing a bunch of these, but there's no way I'm reading them with the huge gaps, and if they're only going to fill these gaps as the collections get released, I might as well wait a few months to a year to re-subscribe. I mean there are 40 missed chapters in Act Age and like 34 missed chapters in Jujustsu Kaisen.

It also amazes me that Viz has Jigokuraku on their site, with the complete archive, but not in the app. But Manga Plus has it, with the viz translation. This is probably true of other "adult" translations too. Why make me go to another app, Viz?

Both are still infinitely better than Crunchyroll. Out of the blue, it actually worked a couple of weeks ago, so I thought hey maybe they fixed something, but nope, this week it's still endlessly authenticating. What a piece of trash.

About One Punch Man, I think only chapter 90 is new, the other ones I swear I read before in the digital weekly shonen jump. But yeah I think they're way behind.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
7 Seeds - 159

Catching up on this series and omg. This chapter is hitting me like a ton of god damn bricks. This entire manga has been an incredible roller coaster. I'm tearing up. Can't remember the last time this medium has done this to me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shokugeki no Soma 303
This is easily the worst chapter of Soma in existence, and that's saying something considering how terrible and stupid this arc has been. The chapter is just so awful on so many levels it's almost impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.