• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I have to ask what is the point of viz boycotting the new kenshin series if they're gonna keep the original series and restoration available to read on the app.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
Nozaki 103

rDp0YaK.png

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad looking at Souma's death throes, ending the series without giving Megumi a proper W is sad, and Erina is a glorified prop now.

Dungeon Meshi remains great month after month

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Chainsaw Man is alright, but seeing people say, after 14 chapters, that it's their favorite series and that it has the most relatable MC is so funny lol.

The author knows his audience, I'll give him that.

Dec 28, 2018
Biggest mistake of Chainsaw Man
was killing off the cute chainsaw demon dog in the first chapter.
Haven't been keeping up with the manga much after I dropped it but from what I read I can see why many would call it their new favourite series. And I haven't read the mangaka's previous work but I'm guessing that's helping in the popularity of the series as well. Hell I'd still be reading it if it weren't for the perverted nature of the mc. The only new series from Shonen Jump I'm enjoying at the moment is the Last Saiyuki, lot of the other series have been duds to me so far.
people relate to someone who's goal in life is to just touch bewbies?!
Lot of people in the manga/anime community seem to be horny 24/7 so I'm not shocked that they'd relate to the mc goal.

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
people relate to someone who's goal in life is to just touch bewbies?!
I feel like on paper, having main character who just wants to experience the pleasures of life after being denied them for so long, would be an interesting one. The problem is that the Chainsaw Man's main character is really annoying and and none of the characters are really all of that likable. execution wise, that premise wise that would otherwise be interesting is just annoying and bad here.

I really hope Higuma doesn't get axed, as that I felt was the series I liked the most from that particular batch of new series

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Chainsaw Man to reach some weird places, so I'm in for Fujimoto's Second Wild Ride.
Plus it's doing well in sales at least.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Not really. That's just you forgetting the name of a character that hasn't been referenced in a while.

*googles*

Oh I remember her, she was hyped up to he a big deal, jobbed to Megumi the opening round of the tournament which wasn't expressly a 1v1 competition, and did nothing the rest of the series.

The fact you picked that as an example of Megumi getting a W shows how bad it was for Megumi.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
*googles*

Oh I remember her, she was hyped up to he a big deal, jobbed to Megumi the opening round of the tournament which wasn't expressly a 1v1 competition, and did nothing the rest of the series.

The fact you picked that as an example of Megumi getting a W shows how bad it was for Megumi.
She only fights big bads, which isn't a recipe for success.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
She only fights big bads, which isn't a recipe for success.

Which again is the fault of the writer for not giving her more appropriate opponents to fight. I don't want or expect Megumi to beat the big bad, nor does she help the bad guy look tough by jobbing to them ala worf syndrome. That is something which would have been far more effective if Erina lost to someone to hype up how good they are.

I get that Soma is clearly on it's last legs and is rushing to a conclusion, but how hard would it have been to hype up the opponent Megumi DID beat over the course of the arc? Establish the guy as someone who has once beaten Asahi, have him beat some of the other b-tier characters (like Alice) earlier in the tournament so when Megumi beats him it feels much more rewarding, especially if she stomps him. Then nobody would be upset if she went on and lost to Asahi.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Komi-san 183
This chapter was awesome, it is so fun to see Komi trying to do new things, also she dragging Shousuke along is very funny, Onemine is a good influence on her
The country girl is back. I love that Komi-san can bring characters back in a random chapter
Lol at the random kometani
Goddammit Najimi

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Shokugeki no Soma 303
This is easily the worst chapter of Soma in existence, and that's saying something considering how terrible and stupid this arc has been. The chapter is just so awful on so many levels it's almost impressive
I don't read Soma, but reading this and then seeing:

Y4o7ZbU.png

Was so funny lol.

Oct 25, 2017
We Never Learn

Sometimes I think the writer just goes online, looks up "tumblr cliche romance writing promtps" selects them and writes. Kind of respectable and commendable that he got to get something like this serialized and you can honestly just scroll through whichever prompts you like and read them and skip the others.

cliche shower scene using his hand as a clothes rack was, i chuckled.

Ne0;lation 13

Time for his history, wish it wasn't to be continued for next week. Still great conclusion to the race.

Higuma 12

I dont know, I feel like this one is kind of end gamey...so...I hope Im wrong. Has the potential to be really great arc on its own though.

Act-Age

Okay, wow at the way she got into the moment to make every leave the walkway. I love how dramatic this manga makes acting and everything. Really I cant wait to see how the anime would do this, though actually, maybe I'd prefer this to be a live action instead.

Dec 28, 2018
The Last Saiyuki 3

Yet another good chapter and I must say I'm quite enjoying this manga so far.
Glad that they addressed that Ryunosuke wasn't a descendant of Son Goku early on. It's nice to have a Shonen mc that doesn't come from some important heritage. And damn this chapter get dark wasn't expecting a bloody massacre at the end.

Yui Kamio Lets Loose 2

Still not feeling this series so far it's just kinda bland. Yui is the only character that really interests me so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsawman 14

I wish the touching bewbies and kissing wasnt like the main driver for denji, like if it were treated more as a joke or some type of silly gimmick then maybe I wouldnt mind it and would find it funny or such just for being ridiculous but being the main thing it is a major turn off.

Still, I kind of like the dorm life antics portion so I hope that gets more of a focus.

The Last Saiyuki 3

Okay maybe this is a winner. Love the lead male character, and Koharu has potential to be interesting if she can perhaps do a bit more than just be there, I wonder if she could ever fight on her ownsome at some point?

Antagonist is good design.

Wonder if we're getting a time skip though...

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw Man could have been cool, but the MC is really annoying and offputting and there's not a single likeable character aside from Chainsaw Demon Dog who died in the first chapter, sooo....
The introduction of the Gun Demon was hella impressive though, gotta give it that.

I can't quite tell if Higuma is gearing up for end game because it's getting axed or if it's just temporarily showing off what's waiting down the line, and that worries me a bit...

I like both The Last Saiyuki and Yui Kamio so far. Saiyuki more. Not sure yet where Yui Kamio is going.
Is there another new series scheduled or are those two it for this round?

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Land of the Lustrous Volume 7

91euu0TybiL.jpg

Finally picked this up! Not a ton of action in these chapters but it brought everything together in a great way. The return of the sea-folk was exciting although it was sad to learn that King was dead. Speaking of which, does any other series feature a timeskip as this or does LotL set a record with 102 years? :lol:

Loved the comedy bits with "I'm Lapis Lazuli" but damn I was happy when Phos changed her hair to be more similar to the original style. Too weird to get used to such a massive transition for the MC.

Last edited:

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
So Happy Tower of God is Back.

Syu deserved a solid break after season two but damn if I wasn't hanging for it to start again.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
That Blue Sky Feeling vol 2

511%2Bzs34JoL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'll admit- at this point in my life, about 50% of all manga I consume is Boys Love. I've read a lot of series- and they generally fall into 2 camps. The first is "2 people meet (usually at school), over the course of the volume their feelings for each other grow, and they either admit their feelings to each other, kiss, or bone (depending on the age rating on the book!) at the end of the volume. The other one is best described as "Love at first rape" where a usually gay guy sexually assaults another man (usually, these are done with adults and not High schoolers), and the victim of the sexual assault eventually realizes they are in love with their abuser, and we go on from there.

That Blue Sky Feeling is something different from those, and the first way you can tell is by the publisher- it's published by Viz under the Viz imprint. Viz owns a BL imprint called SuBLime that they usually use for their BL titles, but this is no different than if you went out and bought any other Viz imprint book, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha or Detective Conan. And instead about being about a romance between two boys, it's more of…. A book about friendship where one of the boys happens to be gay. The gist is that Kou Sanada is a quiet boy who everyone thinks is gay because he has no friends except for one girl he always has lunch with and is uncomfortable around boys (to the point where he doesn't participate in gym), and Dai Noshiro is a big Transfer student (and he can physically go- he's like an NFL Defensive Tackle). Through sheer persistence, he is able to get Kou to open up to him to some degree, and that is how volume 1 ends- no seeds of a relationship other than friendship. It's a very satisfying 1 volume read.

Volume 2 introduces a whole bunch of gasoline to the story. We get a resolution to the relationship between Kou and the girl- which is rather heated but very relateable to someone like me who was also closeted in high school. We get the introduction of another gay student- but instead of shy and reserved is incredibly outgoing, not-exactly-genki-but-probably-texts-in-all-caps, popular with everyone, not afraid to openly talk about his feelings, and he provides a great contrast to Kou. And once again, the manga ends with a clear definition of "liking" someone can mean a lot of things, from romance, to jellously, to friendship. It's…. refreshing to see a significantly more realistic take- just because you are gay doesn't mean you can't have male friends that you are close with.

Very excited for Volume 3 in…. October. Why does Viz put these out like 7 months apart when it's already done in Japan?!?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Higuma definitely feels like it's rushing an ending. It's a shame, because it had potential, but I suppose there's only so much room for Japanese monster fighting.

The Last Saiyuki continues to be good, and we get a glimpse of what the enemies will be like. Of course, it remains to be seen what the series will be like when it ramps up, and there's a lot that could go wrong.

ACT-AGE continues to be interesting and fun.

Jujitsu Kaisen also continues to have good action.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Jigokuraku 51

Gabimaru seems to be finally healed through the power of the bedroom jutsu. I wasn't a huge fan of him losing his memories so I'm glad that's over. I guess we will actually find out if his wife is real or not next week.

Also, rip Senta, crievertiem
1552940550-a3e8fd84-b7f4-4604-8809-34b43b25927a.jpeg

Radiant 84

The fantrad finally caught up with the original release. That went pretty fast, the translator has been running at one chapter a day or more for the past few weeks. It was nice to see first time readers' reactions to it; chapters went from barely getting any discussion on Reddit towards the beginning to getting a fairly decent following by the end, it was a nice progression.

Now to wait until July for the next volume...
unknown.png

Last edited:

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Dec 28, 2018
Ice Guy and the Cool Female Colleague 1

For as short as it was it was pretty cute and I wanna see more of these two together.

World Trigger 1-15

After hearing some good things about this series I finally gave it a read through. Wasn't exactly blown away by it so far but it was decent enough that I want to keep on reading it to see what happens next.

Act Age 1-5

Never was that interested in acting and the process with it and what not but I must admit I liked what I read and Kei Yonagi is a intriguing protagonist so far.

Beastars 118-120
What a wild couple of chapters these have been. Absolute mad man Legosi ripping out his own damn teeth to show his resolve like bruh, just when I don't think he can surprise me anymore he goes and does this. But in the next chapter ya think it's gonna be fine since it's focusing on Haru now but nope shit gets dark at the end of that chapter. And the kicker is that some don't even seem to care all that much with just happened, liked I'd be traumatized if I saw something like that. And man I can't wait to see Legosi and Haru interacting next chapter feels like it's been forever since we saw them last talk.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Komi san

This is fluff and this is great

Sono Bisque Doll

Tomo chan

Last edited:

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I can't think of a better way to describe it, and while I'm not that familiar with Yuri, I would assume it isn't as prevelent there. I don't really get why it exists, but clearly the people in Japan who buy BL like it or else it would have gone away.

Some of the most problamatic relationships ive ever read were the homosexuals in manga. Just the amount of rape and sexual bullying is truly staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.