• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Soma is such a shitshow I routinely forget it exists even though I've been reading it weekly since chapter 1.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Apparently Soma is ending in 15 chapters, this is currently unconfirmed but I read it where I usually get my spoilers from so I trust the source
I've heard either 3 or 12 (the former number for the chapters needed to complete the next volume, and the latter for one after that as well).

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Same way that Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail all did. By the time the series has gone from just slow decline into being mediocre to rapid descent into garbage, most of us are too committed to pull out.

Hey now, Fairy Tail didn't have a slow decline, it was always mediocre at best

I'm sure the seven people still enjoying it will take it just fine

I wouldn't say you need to still enjoy it to be a part of the fandom ;D

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
jKH1iGQ.png

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Kimetsu no Yaiba 127

You know, if you ignore the whole 'Muzan brutally murdering innocents' bit at the middle of this chapter, this was actually really sweet.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Shishunki Bitter Change

Saw that volume 9 was the last volume when it came in, so I finally went ahead and read through all this and... it's weird, because I think it's the most I've been disappointed by what feels like wasted potential in quite some time. Like, it doesn't really pay any more than lip service to a lot of the stuff that's really interesting about the idea (the whole puberty thing being a big one of course, but also stuff like how it doesn't really dig into the fact that, y'know, it's like "hey kid, suddenly your family consider you a stranger and you have to live with a whole other family entirely", which could have been a crushingly painful topic to hit on.) Plus honestly just... something about the flow almost made it feel borderline like it was written as if they'd just switched at the start of high school or something, what with never dropping the "you must act as if you are holding onto my body for you, and we never seem to consider 'oh man, this has been my body for like almost half my life now.'" It still does solid stuff and I certainly wouldn't call it a bad high school focused body swap manga, but I guess I'm just distracted by how it doesn't really feel like what I expected.

Also, man, they just led poor Koizumi along for no reason whatsoever, and it never lead anywhere or got resolved. Just "eh, fuck it, she's one of the few people in on our secret, but let's just leave her believing a big old lie that doesn't really serve any purpose."

Oh, and hi there
truck-kun.

Allaur

Oct 30, 2017
Kaguya 144
I think it was best panneling in this series up till today, combination of jokes and changing scenes is so hillarious. Especially the part about Kashiwagi's first kiss and then Maki's frame.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 144
Being Maki continues to be suffering. I also like it how Prez x Kaguya is the main focus of the manga, so all the typical harem shenanigans is dumped on Ishigami. Lol, speaking of...

5Toubun 80
Ichika continues her reign as the absolute worst sister. Not even doing "best girl" nonsense, just in terms of being a good sibling. Weird, considering she started as the best one. Yotsuba is the best sister at this point. I feel bad for Miku, but she needs to stick up for herself here. Also, I feel all of this is just going to make Fuutarou snap by the end of this arc.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
5Toubun chapter 80
You know what?
Yotsuba is the best one. Ichika's boat should hopefully sink after this chapter as she doesn't deserve this. Why the hell does she keep destroying Miku's plans of all the girls? Especially when she saw that her sister was working hard to impress Fuutarou. Hopefully he does the right thing and puts Ichika in her place. Same goes to Miku as she needs to get better at standing for herself.

As said before, hopefully Yotsuba wins because she is the one who deserves happiness the most.

Oct 27, 2017
Quintuplets: Civil War
imokaywiththis.jpeg

Mieruko-chan (alt. title : The Girl That Sees "Them" / Japanese original title : 見える子ちゃん) 1 - 9
A kind of horror/comedy slice-of-life manga serialized after it took off on Twitter, about a girl who one day begins to see and hear spirits. So she bravely do the kind of thing a main character would do : she ignores them, which is not always easy.

It's presented as a kind of dark comedy at first and then BAM the chapter 9 hits you like a motherfucker. Something tells me it's going to get real soon.

And the author has a knack for making truly horrific spirits and monsters :
85DRKtD.png

cCg3bAn.png

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Kimetsu no Yaiba Volume 15

That was a nice conclusion to the previous arc and I'm enjoying this training arc – it's moving along quickly, we're seeing all the Pillars do stuff, and there are lots of funny moments. They literally say it in one of the chapters, but it does really feel like the calm before the storm though. I expect shit will go down in the next one or two volumes. Impatient for the next volume to come out!

Otherwise in terms of smaller character moments, Inosuke being Inosuke and the blacksmiths getting pissed off at Tanjirou for damaging/losing blades make me chuckle every single time haha

I hope the anime raises more interest in the series, it doesn't seem to be that popular in the English speaking world...

Arata Primal 9

I think the main character is a bit too socially inept, but I think after those last few chapters he'll probably get better. There's also that one chapter (maybe chapter 5?) that kinda had me rolling my eyes when it went on a multi page spiel about how awesome the JSDF is, but following that up with 'But all that training was against humans' with a sabertooth tiger wrecking the soldier's shit up cracked me up. Otherwise, the environmental art and the way the animals are drawn in this manga is pretty cool.

A primitive human (-oid?) just showed up for the second time, I wonder where they're going with this as well.

Jigokuraku 52

So, Gabimaru got his memory back and we learnt the name of his wife. So the chances she's real are looking pretty high. Aza stumbling upon Tensen-sama though... He'll definitely need to up his game

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Glad I decided to start picking up MP100. I knew about the roughness of ONE's art, and it can indeed be rough at times (especially faces).

But he has great paneling, and can do some interesting/impressive composition and double page spreads (all from the first two volumes):

7ZLTOdm.png

hIJXBJR.png

nBwdyjc.png

Zombie Outbreak: 100%

eYZQ8Fz.png

LeJfbjC.png

Fr9KLv1.png
The two Dark Horse releases seem pretty good, but I did see one page (third pic above) where, unfortunately, some of the text was cut off from the page.

I guess it'll be another 4+ years before they get the rest of the volumes released.

March 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
March 2019 Recommendation: Beastars

4gPbG0u.jpg

Carnivore-herbivore psychological shounen | 12 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English (Summer 2019)
At this high school, instead of jocks and nerds, the students are divided into predators and prey.

At a high school where the students are literally divided into predators and prey, it's personal relationships that maintain the fragile peace. Who among them is a Beastar-an academic and social role model destined to become a leader in a society naturally rife with mistrust?

Last night at Cherryton Academy, an herbivore student was killed and eaten. Among the members of the drama club, the herbivores' suspicions naturally turn to their carnivore classmates. The prime suspect? Legosi, a large wolf. But he wouldn't hurt a fly-or would he? And will dwarf rabbit Haru bring out the beast in him? Or are his feelings for her.something else? (source)

From OniBarubary:
The strength of the writing is impressive. This is a very subtle and carefully deliberated story. It deals with what would be very heavy topics in the world it takes place in but dances through them very deftly and uses it's strong character writing to move the plot forward instead of having things simply happen for the sake of development. (source)

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
OPM
finally it's getting to the good part, I hope Orochi fights Tatsumaki
Soma
while it was still another terrible chapter, I'll admit that 4th wall joke was funny

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba Volume 15

That was a nice conclusion to the previous arc and I'm enjoying this training arc – it's moving along quickly, we're seeing all the Pillars do stuff, and there are lots of funny moments. They literally say it in one of the chapters, but it does really feel like the calm before the storm though. I expect shit will go down in the next one or two volumes. Impatient for the next volume to come out!

Otherwise in terms of smaller character moments, Inosuke being Inosuke and the blacksmiths getting pissed off at Tanjirou for damaging/losing blades make me chuckle every single time haha

I hope the anime raises more interest in the series, it doesn't seem to be that popular in the English speaking world...
These training arc chapters are one of my favorite stretches of the series. They are so funny but also move the plot along/develop characters.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
When like every other chapter involves stripping a woman, I dunno about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.