• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5Toubun

During this Easter holidays I read all the released chapters of 5Toubun (or The Quintessential Quintuplets).

Honestly at the beginning I felt overwhelmed by the fact that all the five girls were introduced in the first chapter; their similarity and the fact that motrly Itsuki got the focus in the first chapter didn't help either. Besides, it is clear how the basic idea of the high school student who teaches his girl classmates are clearly taken directly from We Can't Study/We Never Learn (which I suppose came out before, since it already passed the chapter number 100).
Moreover, during the story, the author decides to use an element coming from another romantic comedy - Nisekoi - to make the plot advance...

However then the author starts to focus some chapters on single characters, while the others are still present but in the background - firstly Miku, then Ichika, and so no. Chapter by chapter, I admin the story becomes really nice, all the quintuplets have different personalities which are well represented and evolves during the manga. For example, at the beginning I completely didn't like Nino, while now she has become one of my favourite quintuplet alongside with Miku - I also like Itsuki, while Ichika and Yostuba are lower in my ranking.

The current arc is quite interesting and I feel that the manga will end with less chapters than Nisekoi, since there are a lot less fillers - and this is a good thing, after all. All the "flashforward" scenes about the marriage are quite interesting, I am sure the author is leaving a lot of hints inside them which we will be able to understand only after they become clear.
I hope anyway that there won't be a harem ending

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Jump manga

Enjoyed
Act-Age 63
Black Clover 203 - Sure, why not

Kimetsu no Yaiba 156 - I usually don't like "villain kills themselves" endings to fights, but I like that he was having an internal battle with two sides pulling him to either keep fighting or just give up.

Dr. Stone 103
Higuma 18
Jujutsu Kaisen 57

The Last Saiyuki 9 - I guess Ryunosuke wasn't the other side of Son Goku mentioned last chapter, but he's still important for reasons. This was an interesting chapter, and I look forward to what happens next, but I feel like it's throwing a lot at the reader pretty early in the series.

My Hero Academia 226

ne0;lation 19 (END) - With this ending, I actually kind of feel sad for it now. Not enough to want to see more, though.

One Piece 941
The Promised Neverland 133
We Never Learn 109

Ehhhhhhhh
Shokugeki no Soma 309
Yui Kamio Lets Loose 8 - Yui's friend being manipulating and sneaky is the first gimmick that I think this series could actually go somewhere with.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun

During this Easter holidays I read all the released chapters of 5Toubun (or The Quintessential Quintuplets).

Honestly at the beginning I felt overwhelmed by the fact that all the five girls were introduced in the first chapter; their similarity and the fact that motrly Itsuki got the focus in the first chapter didn't help either. Besides, it is clear how the basic idea of the high school student who teaches his girl classmates are clearly taken directly from We Can't Study/We Never Learn (which I suppose came out before, since it already passed the chapter number 100).
Moreover, during the story, the author decides to use an element coming from another romantic comedy - Nisekoi - to make the plot advance...

However then the author starts to focus some chapters on single characters, while the others are still present but in the background - firstly Miku, then Ichika, and so no. Chapter by chapter, I admin the story becomes really nice, all the quintuplets have different personalities which are well represented and evolves during the manga. For example, at the beginning I completely didn't like Nino, while now she has become one of my favourite quintuplet alongside with Miku - I also like Itsuki, while Ichika and Yostuba are lower in my ranking.

The current arc is quite interesting and I feel that the manga will end with less chapters than Nisekoi, since there are a lot less fillers - and this is a good thing, after all. All the "flashforward" scenes about the marriage are quite interesting, I am sure the author is leaving a lot of hints inside them which we will be able to understand only after they become clear.

Nisekoi is pretty much an exception to be honest. Most of those romcom harem ends before chapter 200. Gotoubun probably will end with 150 at the very least.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Nisekoi is pretty much an exception to be honest. Most of those romcom harem ends before chapter 200. Gotoubun probably will end with 150 at the very least.
Yes, also We Can't Study is approaching the ending since the author is focusing some mini-arcs on the girls - even though I think it can pass the chapter 150.
I also noticed they rese often the same patterns, in 5toubun it is quite evident, it could be the reason for which their length is approximately the same - anyway it is a a genre I like reading more than I thought in the past, when I had only read 100% Ichigo and didn't appreciate so much (maybe because the end girl wasn't my favourite one, despite Nisekoi).

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
5Toubun

I remember reading that the author didn't want to have Itsuki become first girl, which he regrets, but was forced into it by his editor. He has also confirmed that it won't be a
harem ending

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can someone help me figure out where I was in Haikyuu so I can get caught up? Where I stopped reading they had just won a tournament that would allow them to compete in an even bigger tournament. I think it was nationals but I'm not really sure.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Still thinking about how good Dr. Stone's last chapter was.
Wasn't ready for it at all. Going to be a long two weeks...
Can someone help me figure out where I was in Haikyuu so I can get caught up? Where I stopped reading they had just won a tournament that would allow them to compete in an even bigger tournament. I think it was nationals but I'm not really sure.
Sounds like the Shiratorizawa match which ends at chapter 189.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Where the anime ended?
Wasn't ready for it at all. Going to be a long two weeks...

Sounds like the Shiratorizawa match which ends at chapter 189.

I believe so for the anime, and while I don't exactly remember all the story details and characters this does seem to be roughly where I was. Also good gravy I thought I was a lot closer to being caught up then I currently am. Almost tempted to table this for now and catch up on jujutsu since it's shorter.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, also We Can't Study is approaching the ending since the author is focusing some mini-arcs on the girls - even though I think it can pass the chapter 150.
I also noticed they rese often the same patterns, in 5toubun it is quite evident, it could be the reason for which their length is approximately the same - anyway it is a a genre I like reading more than I thought in the past, when I had only read 100% Ichigo and didn't appreciate so much (maybe because the end girl wasn't my favourite one, despite Nisekoi).

Yeah, we can't study is probably ending at the very least in 150-170. I don't see it going for more than 2 years.

Oct 25, 2017
Save her? Her situation is his fault!

This post unintentionally drives home why Griffith has my blood boil. I am almost a hundred percent certain the main goal here was to destroy the world with an appocalypse so he can ride in and be their christ-like savior and shit. My problem with it is he is doing a lot to help! And that just pisses me off more cause if Guts kills him then the world will go to shit. But I really want Guts to kill him.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This post unintentionally drives home why Griffith has my blood boil. I am almost a hundred percent certain the main goal here was to destroy the world with an appocalypse so he can ride in and be their christ-like savior and shit. My problem with it is he is doing a lot to help! And that just pisses me off more cause if Guts kills him then the world will go to shit. But I really want Guts to kill him.
He's doing it to, I believe, intentionally set himself up as the savior in that scenario. He doesn't actually care, it's all just posturing for him. Also, the entire situation the world is in right now is his fault in the first place!

Oct 25, 2017
He's doing it to, I believe, intentionally set himself up as the savior in that scenario. He doesn't actually care, it's all just posturing for him. Also, the entire situation the world is in right now is his fault in the first place!

I think to say Griffith doesn't care about the world/his kingdom is disingenuous. I think he cares a lot and that is in part what makes the conflict both frustrating and interesting. Like Griffith isn't surrounding himself with an evil council, but a group of people who are trying their best as well. Without the context of Griffith's past, he would absolutely be the good guy in this through and through. And even if it's posturing he's still building a school and dealing with a refugee crisis in a way to reduce negative sentiments towards them. If a bad guy does good things aren't the things still good? What I'm curious about is what Gut's would do if he saw the kingdom? Young Guts bent on revenge wouldn't care but old, wisened Guts is a lot more chill all things considered so who knows? Would he actually give up his revenge?

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I think to say Griffith doesn't care about the world/his kingdom is disingenuous. I think he cares a lot and that is in part what makes the conflict both frustrating and interesting. Like Griffith isn't surrounding himself with an evil council, but a group of people who are trying their best as well. Without the context of Griffith's past, he would absolutely be the good guy in this through and through. And even if it's posturing he's still building a school and dealing with a refugee crisis in a way to reduce negative sentiments towards them. If a bad guy does good things aren't the things still good? What I'm curious about is what Gut's would do if he saw the kingdom? Young Guts bent on revenge wouldn't care but old, wisened Guts is a lot more chill all things considered so who knows? Would he actually give up his revenge?
I would note that Griffith is directly responsible for the current state of the world. All these monsters wouldn't be running rampant if he hadn't done his thing. He's like the guy that sets fire to the house and then wants credit for putting it out. Yeah he's helping people, but their situation is all his fault in the first place.

I think it's fair to say he cares about his kingdom/world, but not so much the people in it. If he did care he wouldn't have broken the world in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
I would note that Griffith is directly responsible for the current state of the world. All these monsters wouldn't be running rampant if he hadn't done his thing. He's like the guy that sets fire to the house and then wants credit for putting it out. Yeah he's helping people, but their situation is all his fault in the first place.

I think it's fair to say he cares about his kingdom/world, but not so much the people in it. If he did care he wouldn't have broken the world in the first place.

Honestly I'm putting him firmly into an Ozymandias(Watchmen) category. My feelings about that character are pretty similar to Griffith if less extreme.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm putting him firmly into an Ozymandias(Watchmen) category. My feelings about that character are pretty similar to Griffith if less extreme.
Ozymandias was still the bad guy though. If the truth about him came out he would have been history's greatest monster. The only reason he wasn't is that he won.

What Griffith has done, despite causing uncountable suffering to thousands if not millions, is position himself as the unquestionable good guy in all of this. So when Gutts comes for him, he'll be seen as the bad guy despite being totally in the right.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Jigokuraku 55

Bedroom justu making a comeback right before the cliff hanger.

Last edited:

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
WNL is weird because I'm for more interested in Yuiga becoming a teacher than I am him getting with any of the girls.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While we've gotten arcs for the specific girls we've yet to start eliminating them from the harem. That's generally the biggest indicator a harem series is ending.

For sure, those are basically just personal arcs of the girls for their objectives, but I'm counting future arcs as well in that aspect of resolving the romance things.

WNL is weird because I'm for more interested in Yuiga becoming a teacher than I am him getting with any of the girls.

I'm in a similar way in that the objectives and aspirations of the characters are more cool and important to me. Not that I dislike the romance part of them because I do like it as well, but the student/career part is the most interesting.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The problem with the romance part of wnl is that half the romance chapters focus on the teacher that has zero* chance to win

*perhaps she will but I would be really surprised

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Angel Alita Last Order END

So the whole midsection of that manga was a shounen tournament arc, but the bookends were more like OG Alita, spending more time on that sort of odyssey-type world building.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any benefit Mob Psycho 100's manga has over the anime, or is the latter just completely the way to go?

I prefer comics over watching TV but it feels like the anime is the better way to experience the story.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The anime cuts out a lot of stuff so I think it's still worth reading. Watch the anime too of course since it's fantastic.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the problem with getting into the manga is that by the time the localization is finished Season 3 of the anime will probably have released.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger #179:
Well it took like 50+ chapters of assumptions and dancing around the issue, but it's nice to finally get to the brass tacks with Chika's problem. It's just nice to finally have it out in the open like this.

I hope Ashihara is doing good enough to go back to 2 chapters because I'd definitely like to get some hefty content for Yuba's introduction.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, feels weird, but for the first time in a looooong time, I have no Shonen Jump subscription, largely because they got TOO generous to the point that I currently have virtually no reason to give them money. (Well, I still need to read Hikaru no Go at some point I guess, but I'll save that for when I buy 1 month in the distant future when they start filling gaps in fully and I can catch up on the series that currently have them...)

Just want to say that Ral Omega Grad is one of the worst manga I've read in a good while, I think. Like, it's the issues I have with Chainsawman's protagonist dialed up even worse to the degree that it's just a damn unpleasant, gross read all around.

Fortunately, Astra was great, and I also loved The Emperor and I, though my love of penguins may have been part of that...

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017

Denpa books has proper distribution now so hopefully it'll be easier to get the books they publish starting from September onwards. Listings already seem up on bookdepository though you can't buy them yet,

Oct 25, 2017
Owari no Serafu 78
D5gwJr5XkAYrq8Q

Krul spot to end the chapter this month, it was just getting good. Definitely think ashera has the wrong idea, though Yu was so strange here, guess the transformation makes him lose his memory and take away some of his desire or even ability to think and want to do stuff beyond play and eat?

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Flag 3-6

D5g1mWsW0AEP2bI

Love all the tiny scenes between Touma and Tai cause, lol at the backback holding, holding on to him during the train scene.

Kind of frustrating manga, Touma missing all the chances to you know close the gap. Could have totally wiped the crumbs off Tai's cheeks.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm on volume 15 of Dragonball, and it's amazing how many things Super ripped off or just straight up betrayed from the series roots.
I've noticed multiple tournament characters that have identical gimmicks to Tournament of Power contestants, and Kami just told Goku (paraphrasing) "I will only do this one favor for you, because mankind must not become complacent and say "I'll ask God to do it"."

Fast forward to Super that in large part revolves around The God of All who gives Goku a literal button to press if he ever needs him to suddenly end an arc. Woof.

Otherwise, this has been great reading even though I kind of knew a lot of bigger plot points going into it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
The last thing I wanted Seraph of the End to do was pull a D Gray Man :|
I haven't read the series, but that's an interesting arrangement. Don't see that very often.

0UYl2EJ.png

--

Also, I saw Platinum End released a new chapter. Whew, the sales for that have just been steadily falling, huh?

J4P29so.png

But only 41 chapters, so might check it out.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the series, but that's an interesting arrangement. Don't see that very often.

0UYl2EJ.png

--

Also, I saw Platinum End released a new chapter. Whew, the sales for that have just been steadily falling, huh?

J4P29so.png

Yeah, the configuration of Seraph of the end is very unique in the manga industry. I don't remember other series that are like that.

About Platinum, it's the worst work of the duo together by far. I dropped it with 15 chapters. The sales getting worse and worse is just a show of the problem. I can't wait for it to end for them to someday begin a new and better work.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
About Platinum, it's the worst work of the duo together by far. I dropped it with 15 chapters. The sales getting worse and worse is just a show of the problem. I can't wait for it to end for them to someday begin a new and better work.
I still haven't checked out Death Note or Bakuman, so I guess I should get on those before that one lol.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

0UYl2EJ.png

--

J4P29so.png

The last chapters are quite good, it's a pity that the interest for this series collapsed. I think the two real big issues of Platinum End are the comparison with Death Note on one side, the monthly release on the other - in a weekly publication the pacing would have been better without doubt. Then they didn't release a chapter in january, now they won't release the monthly chapter in June.. I suppose it will take at least one year, if not more, to conclude the series at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.