• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the series, but that's an interesting arrangement. Don't see that very often.

0UYl2EJ.png

--

Also, I saw Platinum End released a new chapter. Whew, the sales for that have just been steadily falling, huh?

J4P29so.png

But only 41 chapters, so might check it out.
wouldnt count PE out until it gets an anime.

Probably next in line along with 7th Garden and eventually Moriarty the Patriot for the treatment.

Doubt PE will end since other things newer than it keep kind of bombing.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Viz still posted author comments for non-mainline Jump series. It's an annoying loss from their new transition.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
The Comiq (7 chapters) - Kazuki Takahashi

Finally got around to checking this out, and it's a good little read. The art is really charming, and the Halloween and manga themes worked well. It can be a little cheesy at times, but it comes together overall. I'll probably pick up the single volume if Viz ever releases it (around Halloween would be good timing!).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The first 3 parts of JoJo's bizarre adventure are available in the vault of the viz shonen jump app/website

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 147

Kashiwagi does not know the danger she is in.

Also the nurse is MVP of this chapter.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Girls under panzer: ribbon warrior
This is sick I want to see it animated one day

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finally caught up on Jujutsu kaisen, talk about a rapid improvement from it's first 3 chapters till current. I do get the bleach comparisons this feels like a series that took the good parts of bleach and shaved off the bad parts. I still think the art can be a bit messy at times, but overall I find it enjoyable.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 147
Chika was right. Kashiwagi is the most likely to get knocked up in high school

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Times like this I wish I had A portable keyboard to write on my phone on because I have a lot of thoughts about ribbon warrior a manga that I don't know anybody else ever will have read

I hope I still remember what they are after this flight

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Lone Wolf & Cub Vol. 1

I just realized logging into ComiXology got me a month of free Unlimited, which included the first few Lone Wolf & Cub books. I don't think I have the time and money for all 28 books now, but it's definitely on my list for later stuff.

What I didn't know was that this is an episodic series of classic-style wandering warrior vignettes. It's really quite similar to Chambara movies of its era. The art is very much of its time but still looks really cool in its own way, with a sort of ink blot thing going on.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Legend of Koizumi (Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku) - Twilight of the Gods Arc

The leaders of the world's superpowers team up to stop Hitler from taking over the Earth - by challenging him to a Mahjong tournament.

Even before I actually started reading manga, this one would always pop up in internet discussions. And how couldn't it, with a plot setup like that. So I figured it should give it a shot. But I was also pretty sceptical that it would be able to live up to its reputation.

Turns out I was wrong, because it totally does. It's every bit as ridiculous as the plot synopsis makes it sound, but it totally works somehow, thanks to great art, a pretty good sense of humour, and the fact that everyone in it is 100% badass. Even the Mahjong games themselves are entertaining, mostly because they rely almost purely on the characters coming up with creative and incredibly blatant ways to cheat their way to victory.

Art wise, the author is pretty good when it comes to drawing manly man, or Mahjong action. For example:

But on the other hand, every time there's a woman on screen, the artstyle completely changes, to the point where it's almost hard to believe you're reading the same manga.

Speaking of female characters, there's also a small amount of incredibly out of place and really contrived fanservice that makes absolutely zero sense.

And there was also another pretty big negative: it feels incredibly right-wing nationalistic, with its worship of Koizumi and its portrayal of pretty much every centre or left wing politician as completely weak and useless. It's not really that much of an issue in this arc, because at the end of the day at least Hitler is the bad guy here. But it becomes incredibly obnoxious in the arc right after, where a new centrist Japanese government is elected and immediately turns into the most comic book grotesque evil villain imaginable. It's so bad I just couldn't stand to keep on reading, which I guess makes this the second Japanese franchise that I had to drop because the author just couldn't keep his right-wing fetishes in check (the other one is Kino's Journey with its gun fetishism). But honestly, the end of this arc feels like as good of a stopping point as any. Because how could you ever top super-aryan space Hitler, really.

Overall, I enjoyed it up to the end of this arc, but it does have some pretty heavy flaws (particularly the political issues mentioned above). Obviously it gets carried pretty hard just by the concept alone, and the Mahjong matches themselves were surprisingly enjoyable.

April 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
April 2019 Recommendation: Tenju no Kuni

D4cywxg.jpg

Historical Tibetan romantic slice of life | 3 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English
Khang Zhipa is a 13-year-old doctor's apprentice living in a mountain village in 18th-century Tibet. One day, when he gets back from collecting medicinal herbs, he finds a bride-to-be and her wedding party will be resting at his home for the night. The bride's name is Moshi Rati and it turns out she's actually Khang Zhipa's fiancee from another land, here to stay! Enjoy this heartwarming slice-of-life tale woven by a kind-hearted boy and his mysterious bride. (source)

From bright side of life:
My favorite thing is the art is nice and clean with proper emphasis on the characters with toner, details, and blacks so the characters never feel lost in a busy panel. Also those vibrant colors on the colored pages! (source)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 147

I hope this arc actually ends with Prez and Kaguya dating, especially since Kaguya now know about how the Prez really is.

Also, Kashiwagi getting teen pregnant would be a really ballsy of what is mostly a comedy manga, but that seems to be where we're headed. I wonder how Maki would take that.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Finally caught up on Jujutsu kaisen, talk about a rapid improvement from it's first 3 chapters till current. I do get the bleach comparisons this feels like a series that took the good parts of bleach and shaved off the bad parts. I still think the art can be a bit messy at times, but overall I find it enjoyable.
Check out Vol. 0 as well if you haven't already.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Lone Wolf & Cub Vol. 2

This is officially some serious shit now.

Also, I tried out that guided view thing in ComiXology where it zooms in on individual panels, and I think it's actually pretty cool. What's interesting is that it's a really good fit for this manga in particular, despite it being over 40 years old. Earlier I said LWC feels a lot like the chambara movies that were being made around that time, and zooming in on individual panels enhances the similarity if you ask me. I'm curious as to what this would feel like on something like One Punch Man, which I think also has a very cinematic look to its panels.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 147

I hope this arc actually ends with Prez and Kaguya dating, especially since Kaguya now know about how the Prez really is.

Also, Kashiwagi getting teen pregnant would be a really ballsy of what is mostly a comedy manga, but that seems to be where we're headed. I wonder how Maki would take that.
Kaguya has been heading towards Kashiwagi getting pregnant for a while now. I imagine it'll be played partly for laughs because, remember, all these kids are obscenely rich and well-connected so it's not like it'll totally ruin their lives.

Oct 26, 2017
Q9bkN3T.jpg

Part 2 of Yotsuba and rocks is up!!!
***If I didn't edit in the important announcement banner it would've bothered me for a week

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Girls und Panzer Ribbon Warrior 0-42
Man if you wanted GuP but darker and edgier without betraying the 'war sport is fun!' you came to the right place. The only caveat I really have with it is the constant half-naked warrior horse girl metaphor they keep using to represent how... exhilarating... battle is. That aside it's a constant escalation of ridiculously dramatic faces, characters from the main works and even other side works turning up to be awesome, gambits upon gambits, and just generally having a great time. It's pretty difficult to visualise the battles though most of the time which kinda blows. Would love an animated adaptation.

The current final battle right now is like a PubG 6-way tank deathmatch, with multiple combinations you'd never have thought of and a wildcard element in the middle, and all sortsa other shit. It's amazing.

Maou Maou Yuusha "Be Mine Hero" "I refuse!" 0-53
I reread this every few years and I'm always happy at how wonderfully clear it is even though it's complicated as fuck and largely a war fought with currency manipulation, economics AND dumbasses with armies. Also that the whole thing seems to be going for an official menage a trois ending imho

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The last chapters are quite good, it's a pity that the interest for this series collapsed. I think the two real big issues of Platinum End are the comparison with Death Note on one side, the monthly release on the other - in a weekly publication the pacing would have been better without doubt. Then they didn't release a chapter in january, now they won't release the monthly chapter in June.. I suppose it will take at least one year, if not more, to conclude the series at this rate.

The problem with Platinum End is the terrible writing. The main character does something super fucked up in the first few chapters and then the writers conveniently forget about it and then he acts like a typical shounen goody two-shoes who refuses to kill anyone even if it puts everyone around him at risk.

The pacing being off after that is pretty bad too, it immediately launches into "what if I do this and you do this, a-ha!!! but what if you do this and I do this?!" fights.

It honestly feels like if aliens came down to earth, saw manga, and were like "we can write one of these."

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Lone Wolf & Cub Vol. 1

I just realized logging into ComiXology got me a month of free Unlimited, which included the first few Lone Wolf & Cub books. I don't think I have the time and money for all 28 books now, but it's definitely on my list for later stuff.

What I didn't know was that this is an episodic series of classic-style wandering warrior vignettes. It's really quite similar to Chambara movies of its era. The art is very much of its time but still looks really cool in its own way, with a sort of ink blot thing going on.

LW&C isn't a fully episodic series. About halfway through the "plot" kicks in and some of the earlier chapters serve as a backstory (like the last one in the first volume). The ending is amazing btw, up there with the ending of the manga/anime in your avatar (Ashita no Joe if i am right).

Anyway, enjoy the best manga ever. If you love LW&C don't forget to read Kubikiri Asa (Samurai Executor) by the same writer and same artist.

Dec 28, 2018
Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Jigokuraku 56

This manga really is going places huh

'Best course of action to get back to my brother: fucking this hermaphrodite plant person to replenish my Tao'

This new faction coming into play should be interesting too.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
220px-ClaymoreCoverTankobon1.jpg

Claymore End
dhMeAzK.gif

I don't know what to say. This manga has been amazing to read. It ties all the loose ends perfectly and I am satisfied.
Teresa and Clare are some of the best women characters in the manga. I could also say the same for most of the characters honestly.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun 84

It was most likely Ichika helping Nino from the shadows considering she said her stomach was hurting last chapter, allowing her to tail them all day.

Still glad Miku was finally able to confess herself. Shame she's still going to lose. Hopefully she can actually grow as a character now.

Last edited:

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
5Toubun 84

It was most likely Ichika helping Nino from the shadows considering she said her stomach was hurting last chapter, allowing her to tail them all day.

Still glad Miku was finally able to confess herself. Shame she's still going to lose. Hopefully she can actually grow as a character now.

I'm thinking it's the mystery person that Nino noticed was taking pictures of them.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The stalker? The stalker giving Miku the underwear that Itsuki thought was too risque is beyond creepy, so I hope not.

That said, I have no idea what they're doing with that stalker plotline.

Yeah I'm not sure where it's leading to as well. Either it's someone they know or they'll make Fuutarou the hero that caught the stalker.

Status
Not open for further replies.