• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Is not being able to identify with male or female really being transgender?

I tried to parse Kishi's writing because the introduction was really all over the place, but the dialogue to me felt more in line with gender dysphoria than non-binary sensibilities (that "do you have something dangling between your legs" question and the two hands fighting over pronouns). Either way, I don't trust his ability to handle the topic in general.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Read up to chapter 85 of 5-Tobun and it's pretty nice! I had watched the anime before, tho it was pretty weak and the manga comparisons convinced me early on to go for the manga. Took a while but I finally did it. I'm the most surprised at Nino's development. I didn't like her at all and couldn't see how she would come to like Futurou, but the progression was pretty well done. I also expected Ichika to be cunning but not as shitty as she has been now ~.~

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read up to chapter 85 of 5-Tobun and it's pretty nice! I had watched the anime before, tho it was pretty weak and the manga comparisons convinced me early on to go for the manga. Took a while but I finally did it. I'm the most surprised at Nino's development. I didn't like her at all and couldn't see how she would come to like Futurou, but the progression was pretty well done. I also expected Ichika to be cunning but not as shitty as she has been now ~.~

I mean, yo you read all of this, saw Ichika development, what was done to show her flaws and correct them at the end of the arc with her regret and all and still think like this? In this very chapter she pretty much "redeem" herself. (because I don't find that word nice for what she did, which isn't that heavy, compared to Nino, for ex, with the drugs.)

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done catching up my reading of Tower of God. A question regarding some of the latest chapters (season 3) :
Bayload Yama wants to get Deng Deng back... Yet Deng Deng is already a captive in one of its facilities ?? I don't get it.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done catching up my reading of Tower of God. A question regarding some of the latest chapters (season 3) :
Bayload Yama wants to get Deng Deng back... Yet Deng Deng is already a captive in one of its facilities ?? I don't get it.
I think the facility he was being kept in wanted Deng Deng to themselves and never alerted Yama about having him.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yo you read all of this, saw Ichika development, what was done to show her flaws and correct them at the end of the arc with her regret and all and still think like this? In this very chapter she pretty much "redeem" herself. (because I don't find that word nice for what she did, which isn't that heavy, compared to Nino, for ex, with the drugs.)

She's only just starting to work on that. And only because it happened that she met Miku while in disguise and Futarou confronted her. Otherwise she would keep doing this shit. So sure, it backfired and Futarou came to lose his trust of her, and she came to regret that, but it will take a lot to repair the damage she did to Miku and regain Futarou's trust. Giving Miku this chance and deciding to apologize is a good first step, but it's only that, a first step.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 86
Here the Yotsuba arc comes. At the moment she is among the two girls I like the least, but let's see the author's plans for her - after all, until now she didn't show any romantinc feelings for Fuutarou, but it is quite likely she is hiding them.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's only just starting to work on that. And only because it happened that she met Miku while in disguise and Futarou confronted her. Otherwise she would keep doing this shit. So sure, it backfired and Futarou came to lose his trust of her, and she came to regret that, but it will take a lot to repair the damage she did to Miku and regain Futarou's trust. Giving Miku this chance and deciding to apologize is a good first step, but it's only that, a first step.

Well, you'll like chapter 86 then

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I did :)

Good decisions all around. Miku getting into Futarou's head, and that jab at Nino was great, as well as Ichika distancing herself and basically reseting their relationship.
Also, I saw the Yotsuba theories yesterday and wasn't expecting them to be confirmed so soon hahaha.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5toubun 86
Here the Yotsuba arc comes. At the moment she is among the two girls I like the least, but let's see the author's plans for her - after all, until now she didn't show any romantinc feelings for Fuutarou, but it is quite likely she is hiding them.

Chapters 21, 36, 37, 72.

She's constantly inviting him to things.

During the camp trip she said she wanted to make it a good experience for Fuutarou. Shedidn't actually know he was looking forward to it all along until she saw his planner on the last day.

I believe she said "I just want everyone to know what an amazing person Uesugi-san is" when fuutarou asked her why she nominated him for class rep. I know she said this at one point, but this might not be the moment.

She also was enthused at him becoming her tutor, although she played it off as being happy to have a tutor from her grade

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Chapters 21, 36, 37, 72.

She's constantly inviting him to things.

During the camp trip she said she wanted to make it a good experience for Fuutarou. Shedidn't actually know he was looking forward to it all along until she saw his planner on the last day.

I believe she said "I just want everyone to know what an amazing person Uesugi-san is" when fuutarou asked her why she nominated him for class rep. I know she said this at one point, but this might not be the moment.

She also was enthused at him becoming her tutor, although she played it off as being happy to have a tutor from her grade
There was also the straight faced love confession that she played off as joking despite the fact that it was established she can't lie with a straight face.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Flag 44

I am constantly impressed with the topics this manga tries to cover and the tact it does it with. A majority of the chapter was basically a debate regarding a character's homophobia. It goes in to discuss and say all of his actions were wrong and that they should be criticized but whether it is okay for the character to even felt homophobic feelings.

It goes in to common topics of toxic masculinity and societal expectations that may have led to his homophobia and also talks about the trauma that the character went through after being molested. Does that kind of trauma justify the feelings he felt, even though his actions were completely in the wrong? It kind of leaves off there.

This was an extremely dangerous topic to try and tackle and it could handle it incredibly wrong and just be homophobic in itself. I think it did a fine job exploring the topic.

Point is, Blue Flag may be the best written manga I've read and everyone should read it. This chapter left on a cliffhanger and I really want to see what happens next.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm proud of Kaito with this manga. Big fan of him since Cross Manage. Glad he could find a success with Blue Flag.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
5Toubun 86

The one thing I appreciate about this manga is the fact that it rewards rereads. If I read through this once I could understand being shocked about Yotsuba being the Kyoto Girl.
However, as many including myself have pointed out, there were so many clues laid out by Negi over the course of the story. Whether or not she ends up being the ultimate winner remains to be seen though. We still don't know who the bell kisser is.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Follow up Re: 5Toubun chapter 86:

Chapter 2:

yApuktE.png

Chapter 34:

4ixtCWs.png

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Started reading Spy x family, it's really cute, do the chapters come out weekly or monthly for this Manga?

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
To Your Eternity 100
Surprised that March won't be the first reanimated character they discover.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun 86

Yotsuba is probably my favorite, and if I didn't believe Itsuki was going to win, she would be the one I would be rooting for. So this development makes me happy. Also Miku backing out because she was probably going to be rejected is kinda lame, but also in character for her. Also Ichika has pretty much taken herself out of the running, so RIP her and her fans.

Also I'd be all for a Yotsuba arc after this. Her and Miku seem to be the only ones who have no idea what they want to do for a living, which is Fuutarou's next objective for them.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spy x Family 1-5

Yo, this shit is awesome. It's Mr and Mrs Smith meets Hinamatsuri. Can't wait for more.

Kaguya 149

Moeha is terrifying. While I'm enjoying the look into Prez and Kaguya, this arc is honestly going on a little too long for my taste. Hopefully it wraps up within the next two chapters.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AHAHAHA I REGRET READING "GIRL THAT CAN SEE IT" BEFORE BED.

58756850_2685845324821497_3721151023780200448_n.jpg

ITS LIKE IF THE ARTIST OF SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK DECIDED TO DO A MANGA.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 149:
I hope we can cut over to Ishigami and Iino soon. I was hoping to see their party when it was first established what they were doing.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 149

We're granted a view of three other parties, one of which will end in a baby.

Next chapter should be the big moment for the two of them, it all seems to be coming to a head now.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun 86

Also Miku backing out because she was probably going to be rejected is kinda lame, but also in character for her.

I took it as more of "going on my pace" than backing off. She has been working her ass off trying to improve herself (especially her cooking skills) on the background, so I imagine she'll keep doing that.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 149

The latest events have really been traumautizing for poor Shirogane. Only Kaguya can now help his President.
In my case, I am quite liking this arc because of what we are finding out about Shirogane and I also feels that this arc being after
the French kiss
has been the best choice because that event completely changed everything for him, since it was so unexpected.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 149

The latest events have really been traumautizing for poor Shirogane. Only Kaguya can now help his President.
In my case, I am quite liking this arc because of what we are finding out about Shirogane and I also feels that this arc being after
the French kiss
has been the best choice because that event completely changed everything for him, since it was so unexpected.
The thing is Shirogane is that he still hasn't confessed despite promising himself he would. It's still the same game they've been playing this whole time.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The thing is Shirogane is that he still hasn't confessed despite promising himself he would. It's still the same game they've been playing this whole time.
Kaguya has quite changed however, as the last part of this new chapter shos, and now it is Shirogane's turn. He was wonderful during the Culture Festival arc and he is one of the best male main charactersw of RomCom mangas, but now he just has to tell Kaguya those simple words, no more.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya has quite changed however, as the last part of this new chapter shos, and now it is Shirogane's turn. He was wonderful during the Culture Festival arc and he is one of the best male main charactersw of RomCom mangas, but now he just has to tell Kaguya those simple words, no more.
Literally all she wants out of him at this point. She took the step she needed to, he needs to meet her now.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witch Hat Atelier #1-18
What a fantastic manga. It was in my plan to read for a long time and it's just magical. The art is a thing of another world. Now I see how it was nominated for the Taisho Awards years ago and I'm glad I always put the nominated on my list if they interest me

Spy x Family 1-5

Yo, this shit is awesome. It's Mr and Mrs Smith meets Hinamatsuri. Can't wait for more.

Kaguya 149

Moeha is terrifying. While I'm enjoying the look into Prez and Kaguya, this arc is honestly going on a little too long for my taste. Hopefully it wraps up within the next two chapters.

If you're reading it on mangaplus, I recommend giving a chance to the other titles from Jump+. Unfortunately they "just" translated 16 titles from the hundreds that exists on the original app/website but there's already many good series out there, including Spy x Family

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More 5toubun speculation following the events of Ch 86:

Everything about Rena's change in behavior between the lake and mall appearances, plus Yotsuba's lack of surprise this chapter, plus the previous suspicions she had about Itsuki, makes sense if they started out working together for the lake rena, but then Itsuki did the subsequent appearances on her own.

They collaborated on Lake Rena to get Fuutarou to move on, per Yotsuba's wishes.

After a while, Itsuki began to think it wasn't right - she could tell that Yotsuba loved Fuutarou, and she also knows that Yotsuba changed Fuutarou's life, and was probably his first love, since he held on to that photo for 5 years. As her sister and his friend, and knowing both of their feelings, she truly felt they should be together.

Thus, Itsuki did the Mall Rena thing (possibly with Raiha's help to get Yotsuba to the food court), and she was sad when it somewhat backfired and Fuutarou had seemingly moved on.

She still wants the two of them to get together, but she doesn't know what to do, so she decided to just meet with him as Rena again in Kyoto, get him to take another picture, etc. Now she wants to come clean about everything with Yotsuba together, but Yotsuba is holding herself back.

I think that the next arc or arcs will have her be in the awkward situation of knowing both Fuutarou's and Yotsuba's stories/secrets, believing them to deserve each other, yet also wrestling with feelings of her own, and not knowing how to deal with this dilemma.

The fallout could be used as a springboard for either a Yotsuba or Itsuki endgame... especially if it turns out that Itsuki has been hiding her feelings in a similar fashion to Yotsuba all this time.

They'd essentially both have the same reasoning for doing the bell kiss, as letting go of their feelings. Itsuki even more so since she'd be doing it as her normal appearance.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
More 5toubun speculation following the events of Ch 86:

Everything about Rena's change in behavior between the lake and mall appearances, plus Yotsuba's lack of surprise this chapter, plus the previous suspicions she had about Itsuki, makes sense if they started out working together for the lake rena, but then Itsuki did the subsequent appearances on her own.

They collaborated on Lake Rena to get Fuutarou to move on, per Yotsuba's wishes.

After a while, Itsuki began to think it wasn't right - she could tell that Yotsuba loved Fuutarou, and she also knows that Yotsuba changed Fuutarou's life, and was probably his first love, since he held on to that photo for 5 years. As her sister and his friend, and knowing both of their feelings, she truly felt they should be together.

Thus, Itsuki did the Mall Rena thing (possibly with Raiha's help to get Yotsuba to the food court), and she was sad when it somewhat backfired and Fuutarou had seemingly moved on.

She still wants the two of them to get together, but she doesn't know what to do, so she decided to just meet with him as Rena again in Kyoto, get him to take another picture, etc. Now she wants to come clean about everything with Yotsuba together, but Yotsuba is holding herself back.

I think that the next arc or arcs will have her be in the awkward situation of knowing both Fuutarou's and Yotsuba's stories/secrets, believing them to deserve each other, yet also wrestling with feelings of her own, and not knowing how to deal with this dilemma.

The fallout could be used as a springboard for either a Yotsuba or Itsuki endgame... especially if it turns out that Itsuki has been hiding her feelings in a similar fashion to Yotsuba all this time.

They'd essentially both have the same reasoning for doing the bell kiss, as letting go of their feelings. Itsuki even more so since she'd be doing it as her normal appearance.
I think Itsuki has realized her feelings for Fuutarou and was trying to use the adult Rena disguise in the mall scene because she liked playing the mysterious love interest card. I'm guessing it's another scenaro where one of Yotsuba's sisters is taking her work from her and Yotsuba accepting it because she thinks she dosent deserve to be happy.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
There was an article from The Guardian or Independent or something, from a Japanese-British writer, which made a pretty good point: Manga pretty much is just Japan's pulp fiction.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

It's cheaply-produced mainstream media that's serialized in magazines. That's not any comment on its quality, just its general perception in the culture. Somewhat analogous to TV, or pulp literature in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

If you think about it, manga and comic books sort of replaced serial literature. Manga in Japan probably has a lot of similarities to how westerners consumed serial literature throughout the 19th century and the early 20th.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There was an article from The Guardian or Independent or something, from a Japanese-British writer, which made a pretty good point: Manga pretty much is just Japan's pulp fiction.

Yeah that same exclusively British art snob guy got upset when people said he fundamentally did not understand Terry Pratchett and after Pratchett died he immediately made an article to double down. He definitely meant it as a dunk, as he also says Vagabond was to "international" (??????????) and familiar and that it looks like Star Wars Production design. The samurai thing. He sucks ass.

D7I0wryW4AESbag.jpg

Like listen to pablum. Purposefully misrepresenting what a museum is even supposed to do. What a joyless person.

Status
Not open for further replies.