• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i mean i'm not knocking manga or its fans, but what has it got to do with the british museum? im just asking questions oh god what are you doing thats not where that goes heeelpppp

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's cheaply-produced mainstream media that's serialized in magazines. That's not any comment on its quality, just its general perception in the culture. Somewhat analogous to TV, or pulp literature in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

If you think about it, manga and comic books sort of replaced serial literature. Manga in Japan probably has a lot of similarities to how westerners consumed serial literature throughout the 19th century and the early 20th.

Ahhh, I see. It really makes sense and it's indeed similar. For over a decade there's also websites from publishers like Square Enix with Gangan Online which have manga serialized there (and I think it was one of the first, in 2008) and there's many and many on apps/websites today but they also work like a magazine.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shonen Jump Issue #26 TOC
Beast Children (Cover & Lead CP, New Series)
One Piece
Samurai 8
Hinomaru Zumo (Color Page)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland
act-age
My Hero Academia
Futari no Taisei (Color Page/25 pages)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Black Clover
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man (Color Page)
Haikyuu!!
Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun (END)
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Shokugeki no Soma
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
Saigo no Saiyuuki
Jimoto ga Japan (move to Saikyou Jump)

Issue 27 Preview
Cover & Lead Color Page: Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Color Page: Beast Children; The Promised Neverland; Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Beastars Ch129: Unstable male half-breed gets tricked by Hannibal-esque half-breed with what I can only assume is a degree in psychology. That's it. That's the chapter.

Oct 25, 2017
Bakemonogatari 25-28

D7Qwq9zU0AAKdlw.png

Oct 25, 2017
Cute BL manga incoming
D7Rmyx8WkAAwF4_.jpg

Seven Seas Entertainment is delighted to announce the license acquisition of Our Dining Room by Mita Ori, a sweet, single-volume Boys' Love story about a lonely salaryman learning to overcome his shyness through food!

Eating around other people is a struggle for salaryman Yutaka, despite his talent for cooking. All that changes when he meets Minoru and Tane—two brothers, many years apart in age—who ask him to teach them how to make his delicious food! Yutaka soon finds himself having a change of heart as he looks forward to the meals they share together.

Hopefully this means they get other Ori Mita BL manga, has good artstyle.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Shonen Jump Issue #26 TOC
Beast Children (Cover & Lead CP, New Series)
One Piece
Samurai 8
Hinomaru Zumo (Color Page)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland
act-age
My Hero Academia
Futari no Taisei (Color Page/25 pages)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Black Clover
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man (Color Page)
Haikyuu!!
Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun (END)
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Shokugeki no Soma
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
Saigo no Saiyuuki
Jimoto ga Japan (move to Saikyou Jump)

Issue 27 Preview
Cover & Lead Color Page: Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Color Page: Beast Children; The Promised Neverland; Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings

I am Japan and David both leaving the magazine on the same day? All is good with the world

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
OP 943
"So you don't like my Wano arc heh ? Guess it's time to bring out the big guns" - Oda probably
If the chapter's been decent, it's really the last page once-every-10-years-combo that gets me beyond hyped. Time to give me the OP I crave for, dead tired of this boring and confusing arc.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Btw, did people here post the interview on mangaplus with two of the editors of My Hero Academia? It's the first of many in which they'll publish

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/126/

I recommend the reading, it's really interesting not only from the series perspective but because it's no easy to see content in english with magazine/manga editors.

Now I'm curious to see an interview with the editor in charge of Chainsaw Man.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Read the first chapter of Shijinsou no Satsujin (屍人荘の殺人) which just came out. It's based on a mystery novel of the same name and there's also a movie adaptation that's gonna come out.

It's pretty fun so far, looking forward to reading more.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia 229

One of the best chapters in the series. Hori killing it with this arc.

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw Man 23

God damn! Seems Denji isn't the only "weapon fiend" around. Kon crashing through the building was so good.

Dr. Stone 105

So it's a weapon, and it has weaknesses.
Anyone else think Dr. Stone is ending soon? There's 118 elements on the periodic table, and the chapter numbering "Z=" references that. Perhaps it will go beyond that...

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Finished reading Ubune no Matsu and Kyoukotsu no Yume

Well, those were fun reads, but I'm not sure I'm really satisfied with the them. It feels like the solutions often approach train-wrecks - though I'm not sure if it's an issue with the adaptations because the author seems to be pretty popular?

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece Yo that's like really fucked up. I thought it was a positivity kinda thing, not an evil lord drugged everyone kinda thing.

MHA That's a neat philosophical question that would drive anyone mad. Also I like how the only way the Villian Alliance can have an arc to prove they're not shit is to put them against a group of villians who are just more shit.

Samurai 8 honest I'm kinda digging this. Reframing a buncha samurai/japanese fantasy tropes into a sci-fi setting is kinda working for me.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsawman is ramping up.

And that guy's line to Denji..I guess Pochita and the GD do know each other. I knew this manga was gonna be awesome.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Samurai 8
The lack of shading is really hurting this manga, it feels soulless, I'm interested in the new character and I hope she becomes a mainstay because so far nothing else has piqued my interest in this manga

Chainsawman
this manga is incredible I don't know any manga that's gotten hooked this early in this early in the story and by this much, was Fire Punch like this? Because if so I might have to check that out as well

Oct 27, 2017
OP 943
"So you don't like my Wano arc heh ? Guess it's time to bring out the big guns" - Oda probably
If the chapter's been decent, it's really the last page once-every-10-years-combo that gets me beyond hyped. Time to give me the OP I crave for, dead tired of this boring and confusing arc.
I really have no idea what you're talking about

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Quite a few comments on the latest chapter of Arata Primal (which other than that was also pretty fun) saying the final page reminds them of Karada Sagashi. I looked that manga up and it's from the same artist. It looks interesting and it's already finished so I'm thinking of giving it a go since the first 24 chapters are free on the JP Jump+ app.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
All the releases of this week of Shonen Jump which I read at the moment - One Piece, My Hero Academia, The Promised Neverland and Samurai 8 - were really good. I think it is not common to get such a combination of really good chapters. I am also quite liking the new Kishimoto's series, I admin I had to read twice the first chapter to understand some things, but alread chapters 2 and 3 were much clearer to understand in my opinion and I am sure art will improve in the future.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
SDS might be the first manga I completely drop while having read more than 300 chapters of it, as bad as bleach got I at least still cared enough to skim through chapters and see the ending, for SDS I now couldn't care less how it ends, there's really nothing left for me to be invested in with that manga, I now actually regret calling it better than Black Clover

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Switch through 46
Liking this a lot. It's a bit up and down during the first volume or so. Feels like the author wanted to hit a certain plot point at the end of the first volume instead of the first chapter so it leads to some things I'm not big on (like an evil teacher looking to defeat elementary school kids in basketball). There is some value to the way the author structured it over cramming everything into the first chapter or two though.

Everything after that point has been very enjoyable. Comedy lands well. Looking forward to seeing where it goes now that the team is mostly together.

Blue Lock 1-2
Pretty different in approach to any other sports manga I've read. A soccer series where 300 forwards are sent to a battle royale esque training camp together with the goal of competing until one is left and develops into the ultimate striker.

From my understanding the author's other works are/have been really edgy. Right now it's an amusing level of over the top, so hopefully it doesn't go too far overboard (or maybe it will be more fun if it does lol).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
woof

god damn yall. I just discovered 'Sweet Home' and that shit was fucking DOPE. The author does a great job at creating tension and suspense. Every time you have still shots with small variations and you keep scrolling down it reminded me of those infamous korean horror manga. While yes technically a webtoon, it's worth a read if you're interested. Simplest way I can describe it is Silent Hill meets The Raid.

Oct 25, 2017
woof

god damn yall. I just discovered 'Sweet Home' and that shit was fucking DOPE. The author does a great job at creating tension and suspense. Every time you have still shots with small variations and you keep scrolling down it reminded me of those infamous korean horror manga. While yes technically a webtoon, it's worth a read if you're interested. Simplest way I can describe it is Silent Hill meets The Raid.

Well, you just convinced me.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Bought the first two volumes of Chainsaw Man, if anything it's pretty entertaining so far. Although tbh I was expecting it to be more edgy considering some of the posts in this thread lol

I also find it funny that a manga where the main character's goal for the first volume and half is to touch boobs has character designs that are less horny than stuff like Dr Stone.

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
This scene in my head popped up from this manga/manhwa when the main character makes a reasonable point and a supporting character agreed but then realized that the MC who was usually brash is being tactical. To which he joked around and said something of the effect to ", wait, you're supposed to be stupid! Who do you think you are trying to be smart?! Stop messing up the balance!". And then I remembered that scene most likely came from the manhwa Veritas. And then i remembered that it's never coming back and I'm sad all over again :(

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
This scene in my head popped up from this manga/manhwa when the main character makes a reasonable point and a supporting character agreed but then realized that the MC who was usually brash is being tactical. To which he joked around and said something of the effect to ", wait, you're supposed to be stupid! Who do you think you are trying to be smart?! Stop messing up the balance!". And then I remembered that scene most likely came from the manhwa Veritas. And then i remembered that it's never coming back and I'm sad all over again :(

I read Veritas maybe 10 years ago and remember enjoying it at the time, although that ""ending"" was rushed af

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I think the sales were low so they had to wrap it up quick but with that ending you just can't leave it like that :(

Yeah I'm sure they could have ended it a slightly different way :/

IIRC it's like they set up those big showdowns, including one between a (up until this point) comic relief kind of character that's actually revealed to have trained non stop for the sole purpose of defeating the main antagonist... Then completely out of left field the main antagonist massacres most of the school, doesn't face off with the guy I just mentioned... And then the manga ends just as the MC is about to throw down with her.

It's like damn, even Bleach's ending is better at giving closure to the story lol

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Karada Sagashi 1

Okay I knew it was a horror manga but holy shit I wasn't expecting that ending

The first chapter's POV character just gets freaking decapitated goddamn

It's definitely gotten me interested in reading more though, the atmosphere it exudes is good (and creepy) so far.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
!
Yeah I'm sure they could have ended it a slightly different way :/

IIRC it's like they set up those big showdowns, including one between a (up until this point) comic relief kind of character that's actually revealed to have trained non stop for the sole purpose of defeating the main antagonist... Then completely out of left field the main antagonist massacres most of the school, doesn't face off with the guy I just mentioned... And then the manga ends just as the MC is about to throw down with her.

It's like damn, even Bleach's ending is better at giving closure to the story lol
The worst part is that the "Final Boss" was just awakened from their slumber! It would be like Bleach ending right after the Aizen betrayal!

A part two was setup and we're never going to get it :(

Dec 28, 2018
The Last Saiyuki

The chapter this week was good but I feel like it could pick up the pace a wee bit. Not because I have much of a problem with it but it feels like at the rate it's going it's going to get the axe.

Beast Children/Double Taisei

The first chapter for both of these series was fine enough but I can't say I'm very intrigued by either of them as I have very little interest in Shogi and Rugby. So I'll probably just give them both a pass for the time being.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the latest Nanatsu No Taizai chapter, it sucked. With the way the last chapter ended the story could have gone in a pretty interesting direction but that's all thrown away in this chapter for something far more safe and dull. Cusack and Chandler come back only to be immediately killed off, can't say I'll miss them much but both of their conclusions were anticlimactic. And the DK is back again and I can't say I have any interest in seeing him getting his ass beat for a third time. Only thing that would make the rematch with him somewhat interesting is if the SD joins him but who knows if she'll even get involved at this point.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read every single Chainsaw Man chapter released so far. This manga is crazy in the best way possible and I should have jumped on it way earlier than now.

That said, the last chapter:
tenor.gif

The hell happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.