• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Samurai 8 is so boring I find myself just zoning out wondering what happened half the time.

Though I did laugh the latest chapter ends with the kid taking one panel to say "fuck you dad" and leaving.

Kishi can't write characters for shiiiiiiiit.

Kishi can write characters considering that there were many good ones in Naruto, like Naruto itself.

Dr Stone 107

This series is just so much fun, I love the characters and the humor. Of all people, Ginrou being the one who has to save everyone is hilarious.

It really sucks that it isn't selling super well, I'd be crushed if it were to end prematurely.

It won't end prematurely as it's already established, much like it still has a chance to get a boost from the anime. Not only that but the editorial of WSJ is pushing it for like 1.5 year even if the manga isn't growing at all in sales.

Oct 25, 2017
Naruto is still the benchmark that all writers need to reach for writing believable and emotional friendships, rivalaries, and redemption arcs. Naruto and Sasuke are a blueprint for so many characters interactions that it is no wonder they are a household name and Kishimoto still receives praise and acclaim to this day.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Naruto is still the benchmark that all writers need to reach for writing believable and emotional friendships, rivalaries, and redemption arcs. Naruto and Sasuke are a blueprint for so many characters interactions that it is no wonder they are a household name and Kishimoto still receives praise and acclaim to this day.
I can't believe you managed to type all that without doubling over laughing

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Shijinsou no Satsujin 2

Still intriguing. It's in the typical horror/slasher movie setup phase right now. You've got a bunch of college students filming a short horror movie in an abandoned place, a crazy-looking old guy shows up to warn them and tell them they better leave in a disturbing fashion... The first chapter already showed some dudes injecting themselves with some sort of zombie virus, so we know shit is about to go down but it'll be interesting to see exactly how.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sasuke was well made just until a certain point, I feel after Itachi died he just became a mess of a character that never recovered
Naruto is the case example of shounen series' where the side characters are much better than the main character
I disagree, outside of a few characters like Gaara and Shukamaru, most Naruto side-characters arent that good and I definitely prefer Naruto over them

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece 944

I almost forgot about Killer, he looks so different without the mask. Also, a very Interesting prospect of speech from Luffy. It's like he hinting of something gonna to happen in the future of endgame.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Aw fuck volume 12 of Radiant might be pushed back from early July to the end of August (according to Amazon and FNAC)...

What the hell though, the author said he'd finished it all the way back in January. Unless he suddenly decided to redraw the whole thing it makes no sense for it to be pushed back. How much of a mess would the production side of things have to be for something like this to happen.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One Punch Man 109

This chapter in a nutshell, in all aspects:
1559360175434.png

Oct 25, 2017
Aw fuck volume 12 of Radiant might be pushed back from early July to the end of August (according to Amazon and FNAC)...

What the hell though, the author said he'd finished it all the way back in January. Unless he suddenly decided to redraw the whole thing it makes no sense for it to be pushed back. How much of a mess would the production side of things have to be for something like this to happen.
Might just be rescheduling and finding time for printing/binding and shipping the book from the manufacturer vs an actual major issue with actually drawing/editting.

May 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
May 2019 Recommendation: Grand Blue

Note: Published as Grand Blue Dreaming in English.

ePsfq0S.jpg

Comedic diving + ecchi youth story | 12 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English
After moving out on his own to a seaside town, Iori Kitahara makes a college debut he never anticipated. A new chapter of his life unfolds, full of diving with beautiful girls and shenanigans with a gaggle of lovable bastards! Idiot-expert Kenji Inoue and au naturel authority Kimitake Yoshioka bring you a glorious college tale filled with booze-fueled antics! (source)

From Zweizer:
Grand Blue is a manga loosely associated with diving in broad strokes, at times. In most other sport manga, who make the featured sport the principal focus and build up the cast and setting around it. Here, diving itself is at times little more than an excuse for the authors to create the appropriate setting to let loose a colorful and likeable cast, involved in all maneers of antics as they live their youth, coupled with biting humor and awesome expressions. (source)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Chainsaw Man 24
Good lord, this series has no chill.

Did Aki die? What the hell did that new girl just do? This shit is wild, and I'm loving it.

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
OPM
Another outstanding chapter, looks like I'm finally going to get to see the parts I've wanted to get redrawn

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Karada Sagashi

I'm up to volume 15 now. It's in the last part of the manga, which corresponds to the third Karada Sagashi (body search/hunt?). Each time a new one starts I feel the manga take almost a full volume to really get into gear, but once it's started it's a very enjoyable read. I like how they're learning more and more about the curse (that 'black and scary person' is pretty freaky – although that translation does sound pretty bad lol, it's a black fog monster, it's not a racist thing –), and how characters are getting development (wouldn't have expected Haruka to be a focus of this arc after finishing the first one for example).

I'll probably finish this tomorrow (2.5 volumes to go). 15 volumes in 3 days (and in Japanese so I'm reading relatively slowly)... The binge is real.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Spy X Family 6
a bit weaker than the other chapters but still cute, I'm interested in them finally getting into the school portion of the mission next chapter

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some information about some Shueisha series:

Kimetsu no Yaiba (Spring 2019):
-Anime boost for Volume 1: x5
-Male/Female ratio: 4:6
-Read alongside: MHA, Jujutsu Kaisen

We Never Learn (Spring 2019):
-Anime boost for Volume 1: x2.7
-Male/Female ratio: 8:2
-Read alongside: Go-toubun, Yuuna

The Promised Neverland (Winter 2019):
-Anime boost for Volume 1: x3.8
-Male/Female ratio: 4:6
-Read alongside: MHA, Tokyo Ghoul

Black Clover (Fall 2017):
-Anime boost for Volume 1: x5.3
-Male/Female ratio: 6:4
-Read alongside: MHA

Boruto (Spring 2017):
-Anime boost for Volume 1: x1.7

My Hero Academia (Spring 2016):
-Anime boost for Volume 1: x4.2

OPM (Fall 2015):
-Anime boost for Volume 1: x3.2

Oct 25, 2017
Escape Journey v1

Was hooekd immediately from the start caushe artwork is beautiful, the character designs are greatly appealing, and the plot is immediately compelling with its main cast and secondary cast that really help carry the plot and enhance the main character relationship, while some of the secondary cast do have their own plots that are somewhat interesting.

I enjoyed this story mainly because of the lead characters Naoto and Taichi who are great friends but seemingly terribly as lovers who get on each other's nerves due to differing desires what they want out of the relationship. Their definition of love varies which plays into this and leads to some disagreements, however with the people around them trying to make a move on Taichi, Naoto is moved to quickly reassess what he wants and make some types of moves.

Most of the manga I'm like screaming at them to just sit and talk things out and to stop having sex so much as there is more to a relationship than that and it seems the time they do try to sit there as lovers and do something other than sex that they kind of just do it all wrong, completely wrong that it becomes extremely emotional and intense with the sexual assault thing, though it wasnt for gratification and what not.

Fortunately characters do grow and develop in a natural way here so things don't end on a sour note and we even get some learning from the characters as Taichi eventually has a moment where he meekly suggests going out and doing something other sex for once, yay progress.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad 1

Wow this made a great first impression and I am 100% in from the start. This has some pretty good art, interesting premise, good action, good character designs, and immediately likable protagonists. By far the best of the current new batch coming out, including Samurai 8.

Oct 25, 2017
Last Saiyuki 13

Really cool chapter especially with the nyoibo just being able to zig and zag like that

Act Age 67

Series is kind of boring outside of the acting play scenes, hopefully we get back to it fast as starting to yawn here or at least get back to high school antics.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad 1

Wow this made a great first impression and I am 100% in from the start. This has some pretty good art, interesting premise, good action, good character designs, and immediately likable protagonists. By far the best of the current new batch coming out, including Samurai 8.

Same. Really liked it.Very unique premise as well, I don't really remember to see another one similar.

But tbh, I really thought that I would see people not liking it here considering that the statement from the mangaka in the premise is pretty much criticizing immigration if I'm not crazy. lol

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Same. Really liked it.Very unique premise as well, I don't really remember to see another one similar.

But tbh, I really thought that I would see people not liking it considering that the statement from the mangaka in the premise is pretty much criticizing immigration if I'm not crazy. lol

Oh yeah. Not the best thing to imply that immigration = increase in crime. Having one of the main characters being Thai though is really cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsawman 24

Really dont see how people lose their minds [tm] over this when it just does nothing for me and just has the blood splatter and surprise back attack factor that we've seen in BLeach from ages past. I guess people miss BLeach that much?

Lame chapter.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, probably going to skip this then

Well, to be more precise, the explanation is that the Prime Minister of Japan wanted to bring every aspect of japan to international standards and then they made a tunnel to connect US, China and Russia in a big project. 20 years later, Japan had massacres, slums, terrorist groups, more organized crimes, violence and other things, which is why the group of the main protagonist began to exist as mercenary shinobi. That's basically the premise which I interpreted that way, but I also can see it being about not losing identity and other aspects due to the tunnel thing with other countries.

Either way, that's probably one of the most political manga on wsj that I read for sure, it's quite in your face.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Chainsawman 24

Really dont see how people lose their minds [tm] over this when it just does nothing for me and just has the blood splatter and surprise back attack factor that we've seen in BLeach from ages past. I guess people miss BLeach that much?

Lame chapter.
How is this comparable to bleach? People are losing their mind at the possibility of certain characters that dieing, this arc started with a possible major death

Oct 25, 2017
Beast Children 2
D8FiB6aXYAIWNTw.jpg

Cute manga. Everything about this chapter was amazing, especially Sakura's earnest desires to play with Yukito but then also his brave stand at the end also his excite for making Yukito doll. lol.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to be more precise, the explanation is that the Prime Minister of Japan wanted to bring every aspect of japan to international standards and then they made a tunnel to connect US, China and Russia in a big project. 20 years later, Japan had massacres, slums, terrorist groups, more organized crimes, violence and other things, which is why the group of the main protagonist began to exist as mercenary shinobi. That's basically the premise which I interpreted that way, but I also can see it being about not losing identity and other aspects due to the tunnel thing with other countries.

Either way, that's probably one of the most political manga on wsj that I read for sure, it's quite in your face.

My immediate thought is that they wanted a cyberpunk dystopia that was diverse but not the best way to say it.

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai 8 4

Ready for things to take off. Did like the discussion between the dad and Daruma though.

Double Taisei 2

Okay going the route where Tai is permanently gone is not what I expected. I thought things were simply reversed but this route with no communication either is interesting. Liked the fanboy too, hope he sticks around.

Favorite page.
D8Foh1tXYAAKelH.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad 1

Awesome start with the cool concept, cool use of ninpo, and just cool battle and action. Jin is also a really epic lead character and easily one I want to see succeed from day one. En is also great too and deserves all the love and support and a good life after the hard struggles he's endured. Hope to see him become a fighter too, though I dont mind if Jin will continually be the Knight that saves him as a prince in distress. Love it.

Definitely putting all my eggs in the Beast Children and Tokyo Shinobi Squad Basket.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But tbh, I really thought that I would see people not liking it here considering that the statement from the mangaka in the premise is pretty much criticizing immigration if I'm not crazy. lol
Yeah it makes me a bit uncomfortable tbh, but I'm willing to wait and see

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun 88 spoilers are coming in. Take this with a grain of salt

Maruo may have married rena on her literal deathbed.

EDIT:

Nino met him 5 years ago too, and even called him fuu-kun, but she doesn't remember

So now, Yotsuba, Ichika, and Nino are confirmed to have met him.

Wait, no, she didn't meet him, but spoke of him and saw him from afar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.