• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
Tokyo Shinobi Squad

"So much for globalization,"

I burst out laughing when I read that line, guessing George Soros will be the final boss.

Trashy politics aside, I wasn't at all impressed by it aside from some nice action scenes, not sure why some of the other folks here are speaking so highly of it ,

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I feel interested because the concept of a dystopia in japan after tunnels connecting it feels really fresh and really interest me. Not only that but it put some interesting aspects with changes like the characters learning more languages to be able to work, how Japan changed due to the immigration in culture and geography and the diversity of characters, like the boy which had many times speaking in his language. I don't know about the story itself but the setting and lore grasped me on the first chapter.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I feel interested because the concept of a dystopia in japan after tunnels connecting it feels really fresh and really interest me. Not only that but it put some interesting aspects with changes like the characters learning more languages to be able to work, how Japan changed due to the immigration in culture and geography and the diversity of characters, like the boy which had many times speaking in his language. I don't know about the story itself but the setting and lore grasped me on the first chapter.

Yeah pretty much this the setting is quite interesting and unique for Shonen Jump. The author could really do a lot of things with the setting and characters.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Land Lock 32

This is either going to end soon or enter a second part. I'm leaning towards the former due to those odd half-chapters we've been getting lately, which give me this impression they want to end the manga on a specific chapter number.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Cover for the next volume of The Promised Neverland which comes out tomorrow:

51Jn%2B0YVmUL.jpg

Excited to read it, the developments in the last volumes were a bit crazy.

I also finished Karada Sagashi today, really enjoyable read and I liked the way it ended. I might write a bit more about it later this week. I'm currently reading Karada Sagashi Kai, a five-volumes spinoff that fills in the gap about what happens at one point during the last volume of the original series. It seems to completely remix the rules of the 'body search' which should be interesting.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

Yeah I think it's my favourite one so far. It's less busy than most of the other ones and I think this simplicity works in its favour.

On an unrelated note, I'm considering buying a ¥10k iTunes gift card to subscribe to the weekly shōnen jump (would need to find a non dodgy place to buy it from though) but the subscription price (¥960/month) is pretty hard to swallow when you can get all the chapters legally for free in English :/

I kinda want to be able to follow new series as they get released though (I'll probably stick to volume releases for series like TPN or KnY though), so I might end up subscribing despite the price.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cover for the next volume of The Promised Neverland which comes out tomorrow:

51Jn%2B0YVmUL.jpg

Excited to read it, the developments in the last volumes were a bit crazy.

I also finished Karada Sagashi today, really enjoyable read and I liked the way it ended. I might write a bit more about it later this week. I'm currently reading Karada Sagashi Kai, a five-volumes spinoff that fills in the gap about what happens at one point during the last volume of the original series. It seems to completely remix the rules of the 'body search' which should be interesting.

You're only reading in japanese and digital?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost in the Shell 1.5

It was a pretty nice collection of one-off police procedural stories more similar to the first manga. I also read Man Machine Interface which was a pretty sharp turn.

I can tell some details from both Oshii's movies were lifted from 1.5 but I can't remember if any Stand Alone Complex episodes also lifted 1.5 stories. If not, I imagine SAC 2045 will.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
5 Toubun 88 Spoliers

Damn Ichika, once a snek always a snek. Now I'm glad she's out of the running.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Chainsaw Man 01

Finally decidee to read this and God damn, I'm still shocked that this is a series running in Shounen Jump. Maybe if it was Jump from the 80s but definitely not current Jump.

Oct 25, 2017
Child x Adult Equation
D8LJ4WlXYAEz6Ng.jpg:small

There are two main pairings in this manga the first focuses on Chiharu's dad and his kindergarten teacher Aiba Kun who steps in to help Chiharu out since the dad works alot and is divorced. As often happens with these manga, his time with Chiharu increases as his responsibilities/help grows enough so that Chiharu simply feels like he is a candidate to be his mom. Overall Aiba and Chiharu's dad's relationship ends up becoming something sweet and touchy and kind of comedic and sweet at times because of the dad's attempts to show his good side to Aiba but his attempts continue to make him look rather goofy and incapable which just makes Aiba love him even more.
D8LMjd2W4AUgpOi.jpg:small

2nd story was Chiharu and his best friend Satoshi (who is a problem child kindergarten but grows to be pretty earnest and such later on) who seemingly has a crush on him but doesnt realize it. Lots of his lines really hints towards it especially when he blushes before asking Chiharu if he ever got a girlfriend would he like her more than he likes him. Overall Satoshi's personality is amazing and he just totally likes Chiharu so much he goes the distance to care for him even when Chiharu finally discovers his dad and Aiba are in love. This rocks his world jolting him to avoid his dad for years seemingly as well as devolving into hazardous behavior like going out after curfew, getting into some host club with girls, and having a 180 on his personality.
D8LPkzhXkAAiNTo.jpg:small

Fortunately Satoshi seeks to resolve things and discovers that he actually loves Chiharu to which Chiharu had figured he did.

Overall I loved their story as it had the character growth drama, bad decision making/running away from a problem, and a best friend who just doesnt give up which are elements I love in stories. It helped that Satoshi was drawn with funny faces and couldnt ever deal with anything with romance and was prone to comedic scenes of jealousy whenever Chiharu got a phone call from those girls.

Finally one shot was decent sex assault was present to an extent that I found disappointing and unnecessary. Story overall was alright but paled to the others.

So overall memorable manga excluding the one shot.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 88
Nino had already decided that she would call Fuutarou Fuu-kun when she was a child, wow.
Anyway, it is interesting how in the past Yotsuba was the girl who studied the hardest, while then he became the reasons for which the quintuplets had to leave their previous school. I suppose the next chapter will focus more on this character development.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5toubun 88

When I said I wanted a Yotsuba arc, I wasn't expecting all of this suffering. Any time she tried to stick out, her sisters either just follow her direction or just straight up "stole" from her. The blow of her failing at their previous school and her sisters following her out of what she'll assume is pity is going to suck.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5toubun 88

When I said I wanted a Yotsuba arc, I wasn't expecting all of this suffering. Any time she tried to stick out, her sisters either just follow her direction or just straight up "stole" from her. The blow of her failing at their previous school and her sisters following her out of what she'll assume is pity is going to suck.

Ichika didn't stole someone. Friends aren't an exclusive thing so Ichika and Yotsuba could both be friends with him. One thing is for Yotsuba to feel like that, but Ichika did nothing wrong for just trying to be friend with him.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Ichika didn't stole someone. Friends aren't an exclusive thing so Ichika and Yotsuba could both be friends with him. One thing is for Yotsuba to feel like that, but Ichika did nothing wrong for just trying to be friend with him.
Ichika pretended to be her there though. So yeah, she was taking advantage of the work Yotsuba put in.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you think I put "stole" in quotation marks? And as A.J puts it, she also pretended to be Yotsuba at the time. So yeah, while it's not really possible to steal the friendship of someone, pretending to be someone you're not, or in the very least, not coming clean when someone mistakes you for someone else is kinda not great.

My intent wasn't even to dunk on Ichika there, but to point out that Yotsuba fragile mental state kept getting beat on throughout the chapter.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ichika pretended to be her there though. So yeah, she was taking advantage of the work Yotsuba put in.

Why do you think I put "stole" in quotation marks? And as A.J puts it, she also pretended to be Yotsuba at the time. So yeah, while it's not really possible to steal the friendship of someone, pretending to be someone you're not, or in the very least, not coming clean when someone mistakes you for someone else is kinda not great.

There's nothing said about that. The only thing we see is that both are talking. Yotsuba just feels down because fuutarou couldn't recognize her when talking to Ichika. Which of course, she could just act at that very moment and talk to him as well.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing said about that. The only thing we see is that both are talking. Yotsuba just feels down because fuutarou couldn't recognize her when talking to Ichika. Which of course, she could just act at that very moment and talk to him as well.
Ichika knew Yotsuba had talked to him before hand and knew that not introducing herself as her sister would lead to him recognizing her as Yotsuba. Yotsuba was probably too upset to talk to Fuutarou as it was another blow to her individuality she was trying to develop.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is that, but I think you're underplaying Yotsuba thinking Ichika "stole" from her. Not even saying it's a correct feeling, but it's what Yotsuba feels which is the main point considering it's her arc.

From chapter 66 between Yotsuba and Ichika, all instances that Yotsuba considers Ichika "stealing" from her:

6BzDZaz.png

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is that, but I think you're underplaying Yotsuba thinking Ichika "stole" from her. Not even saying it's a correct feeling, but it's what Yotsuba feels which is the main point considering it's her arc.

From chapter 66 between Yotsuba and Ichika, all instances that Yotsuba considers Ichika "stealing" from her:

6BzDZaz.png

No, I totally understand why Yotsuba feels that Ichika stole him from her perspective. I mostly think that Ichika trying to being friends with him don't make her as a bad guy in this situation, unlike in what happened in the last arc.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, I totally understand why Yotsuba feels that Ichika stole him from her perspective. I mostly think that Ichika trying to being friends with him don't make her as a bad guy in this situation, unlike in what happened in the last arc.
Fair enough. If I was implying that Ichika was a villain of this chapter, that wasn't my intention. Yotsuba has the same "shocked" reaction when Itsuki copies Yotsuba by also getting hair accessories, so it's Yotsuba making a bigger deal out of things than anyone else.

I stand by pretending to be someone else at this moment isn't great, but they're still just kids, so it's not a big deal honestly. And honestly, all the quintuplets still have that problem of intentionally deceiving people with their appearances.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Wow, that backstory is Trump/Miller's wet dream.

This manga is looking super suspect. The action and setting are cool enough that I'll be willing to give it a pass if the author just didn't explain it well and this series actually is progressive, but dropping as soon as we get more gross nationalism.

Beast Children chapter 2
This is looking pretty alright. Still a lot like Haikyuu, but it's fun enough. Plus that chapter ending got me.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Quintessential Quintuplets Vol. 8

Me before reading Chapter 60: Oh look, Nino's on the cover. Nino's alright but I'm not really seeing all the hullabaloo over her, plus she drugged Fut-

Me after reading Chapter 60: N I N O G A N G

N I N O G A N G

What a fucking power move, holy fuck. Like 90% of harem series would've left that as Futaro just not hearing that confession and leaving it at that for the moment, but Nino was like "fuck that you're gonna hear how I feel loud and clear." I was hollering.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Blade of the Immortal Bakumatsu Arc 1

So how do people feel about this one? This could easily turn into just a fan work (a doujinshi I guess?). The panel art seems good I guess. The two fight scenes seem good too. All following in Samura's style but not quite Samura. I guess it seems good so far in its own terms. Anybody else think Manji's reintroduction (in Edo) was a bit long-winded compared to his original intro in BOTI?

The historical figures of that era is a whole other deal. Obviously I'm not versed in the history of that period so I don't know how much of a fanboy dream this chapter is.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Blade of the Immortal Bakumatsu Arc 1

So how do people feel about this one? This could easily turn into just a fan work (a doujinshi I guess?). The panel art seems good I guess. The two fight scenes seem good too. All following in Samura's style but not quite Samura. I guess it seems good so far in its own terms. Anybody else think Manji's reintroduction (in Edo) was a bit long-winded compared to his original intro in BOTI?

The historical figures of that era is a whole other deal. Obviously I'm not versed in the history of that period so I don't know how much of a fanboy dream this chapter is.

I've been wary to check it out when it sounded like Samura was barely involved. I may wait and see how it turns out after a few volumes and jump in.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Blue Exorcist 111

I have no idea what the fuck is going on in this series anymore

Seraph of the End 79

I have no idea what the fuck is going on in this series anymore

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Tokyo Shinobi Squad 01

I initially didn't pay any attention to this series since the name sounded super generic but after finding out it's about future ninjas in a cyberpunk Tokyo with great action layouts I'm all in.

I'm LOLing at the series implying that Shinzo Abe turned Japan into a major shithole by buying into Elon Musk's hyperloop bullshit.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Quintessential Quintuplets Vol. 8

Me before reading Chapter 60: Oh look, Nino's on the cover. Nino's alright but I'm not really seeing all the hullabaloo over her, plus she drugged Fut-

Me after reading Chapter 60: N I N O G A N G

N I N O G A N G

What a fucking power move, holy fuck. Like 90% of harem series would've left that as Futaro just not hearing that confession and leaving it at that for the moment, but Nino was like "fuck that you're gonna hear how I feel loud and clear." I was hollering.

I had your same change of feelings towards Nino when I read Chapter 59-60. Before these chapters, Miku was my favourite quintuplet, but they Nino brutally entered the competition for this spot. It was absolutely a well-made confession, because it was really surprising considering how Romcoms usually throw off those moments
like when Onodera confesses to Raku, but he falls asleep

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I had your same change of feelings towards Nino when I read Chapter 59-60. Before these chapters, Miku was my favourite quintuplet, but they Nino brutally entered the competition for this spot. It was absolutely a well-made confession, because it was really surprising considering how Romcoms usually throw off those moments
like when Onodera confesses to Raku, but he falls asleep

God don't remind me of that fucking awful garbage in Nisekoi, series could have been fucking over and saved me another 200 chapters of crap.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nanatsu no Taizai 313

So, like, that's totally Arthur right? I hated how he went out so, if he's coming back, that would be amazing. I'm still not totally sure what the point of any of this even is, though. Why didn't it just end with the epilogue?

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Exorcist 111

Is it finally time for Yukio to turn against the Illuminati, or will he embrace their idea of remaking a new and balanced world.

Also the traitor plot with Arthur, very curious if he was truly deceived. Thought the folks would admit it this chapter, so am surprised we need even more evidence.

Seraph of the End 79

Please dont tell me all of those were Yu clones. Do we secretely have an arm of Yuu Hyakuya's just lurking somewhere underground and our current one is one that fell in love with Mika and broke the hold the folks had on him.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shonen Jump Issue #28 TOC
One Piece (Cover, Lead Color Page)
The Promised Neverland
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Samurai 8
Black Clover
Dr. Stone (Color Page)
We Never Learn
Tokyo Shinobi Squad (Color Page)
Act-Age
Double Taisei
Boruto (Color Page)
My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen
Jigoraku (Color Page, Special Chapter from the Shonen Jump+ series)
Chainsaw Man
Yuragi-sou no Yunna-san
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu
Yui Kamio
The Last Saiyuki

Issue #29 preview
Cover, Lead Color Page: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Oct 25, 2017
The Promised Neverland
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Samurai 8
Black Clover
Dr. Stone (Color Page)
We Never Learn
Act-Age
Double Taisei
Boruto (Color Page)
My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
Yuragi-sou no Yunna-san
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu
Yui Kamio
The Last Saiyuki

Issue #29 preview
BLack Clover remains consistently strong, a testament to Tabata's masterful storyteller.

Perhaps Chainsaw Man needs to learn from it, or else it will find itself chopped just like Yui Kamio.

Dec 28, 2018
The Promised Neverland
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Samurai 8
Black Clover
Dr. Stone (Color Page)
We Never Learn
Act-Age
Double Taisei
Boruto (Color Page)
My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
Yuragi-sou no Yunna-san
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu
Yui Kamio
The Last Saiyuki

Issue #29 preview
Sad to see The Last Saiyuki doing so poorly in the rankings. It's the only new manga to come from Jump recently that I've enjoyed at all. I really hope it doesn't get axed but it seems ineviatable at this point.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The Promised Neverland
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Samurai 8
Black Clover
Dr. Stone (Color Page)
We Never Learn
Act-Age
Double Taisei
Boruto (Color Page)
My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
Yuragi-sou no Yunna-san
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu
Yui Kamio
The Last Saiyuki

Issue #29 preview

Interesting that Jigokuraku is getting a special chapter, I wonder if it's gonna be available on the app as well.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see The Last Saiyuki doing so poorly in the rankings. It's the only new manga to come from Jump recently that I've enjoyed at all. I really hope it doesn't get axed but it seems ineviatable at this point.

It probably is, but maybe it'll do better later on the story. I'm liking it as well but I imagine that the fact that the manga is so slow in building the story and the pacing is as well, the readers maybe are not enjoying it as manga on WSJ are generally faster in pacing. I saw similar complaints in the west as well from the people that didn't like it.

Anyway, like you, i'm cheering for it doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.