• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Star Collector 2

Star Collector Volume 2 is a great continuation of Fynn and Niko's relationship that finally addresses some of the insecurities and secrets that Niko harbors which prevents him from totally opening up to Fynn. While this sort of drama and the family issues that leads up to it isn't new ground or uncharted territory, it is still done in a way that makes for an interesting and emotional read.

Fynn, totally new to this type of relationship, is a great character in this volume and determined in a sort of way that is beautiful to see. I love how passionate and devoted he is to make their relationship work, enough so that he wants to do all sorts of things with Niko no matter how it looks to people who may not be open to same sex relationships such as perhaps Niko's friends. The scene with his Fynn's mom saying she knew and was alright with it was sweet and a nice change compared to what we saw with Niko and his father have going on. I enjoyed how the plot surrounding Niko's father and the conflict it created did lead to a nice, actually beautiful, declaration of love which was amazing.

Overall this was a really sweet manga that improved immensely over the first volume and brought the characters to life in a way that they were not done previously. I connected with them on all levels, felt everything they felt, and even cheered or rooted for them through the thick and thin. I did wish that their post argument moment lasted just a bit longer than overnight as that seemed to be a bit rushed in the context of reality, but pages are limited so the team behind this story couldn't drag it out too long. I loved the love making scenes too and the kisses and teases from Niko. Somehow with glasses, people look ten times hotter than without, lol.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Yui Kamio 15

This should have been a sorta creepy supernatural shounen from the beginning, it's at least kinda interesting now, but it's probably too late.
Shiibashi didn't have much luck with his new mangas so far, huh.

The Last Saiyuki 16

I really enjoy this, but it's probably dead soon..

Chainsaw Man 27

Ever since the Gun Devil came up and they got over the "Denji wants to touch boobs" phase of the story, this has been straight fire.
Definitely my favorite of the new-ish bunch. Though I admit I'm not reading Samurai 8, Beast Children or Double Taisei.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad 4

Still pretty good.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 163

Tears were shed :(

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba 163:
"Will you accompany me to hell?"
"After you, you worthless bastard."

I loved that exchange between Moon 2 and Shinobu

Oct 25, 2017
Double Taisei 6

Really cool development for Sei, finally he admits his love of shogi.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad 4

Really the coolest of the nonsports manga this year. This is just plain amazing and also pretty funny.

Chainsawman 27

Viz might have to put this manga in their advance line or something, so many character deaths and explosions.

Beast Children 4

Yukito cares, sweet.

Last edited:

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Act Age 70
I was not prepared for vague lines about Yonagi being 'his daughter', but I guess I should always be ready for that in a shonen series. Though maybe I am just forgetting some reference to the father being someone of greater significance early on.

Jujutsu Kaisen 64
Not sure when I started to enjoy this as much as I do, but the comedy and general weirdness (both in what is occurring on panel and structure/delivery of story) is working for me and making it a very amusing read. Last few fights have had some nice stand out panels as well.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Jujutsu Kaisen 64
Not sure when I started to enjoy this as much as I do, but the comedy and general weirdness (both in what is occurring on panel and structure/delivery of story) is working for me and making it a very amusing read. Last few fights have had some nice stand out panels as well.

I can't tell if this is going to lead towards Kugisaki being more tsundere going forward, or if it's just teasing that to make a joke about her silly petty jealousy and rivalry thing.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if this is going to lead towards Kugisaki being more tsundere going forward, or if it's just teasing that to make a joke about her silly petty jealousy and rivalry thing.
I took it as the latter. It seems in line with how the series portrays her self confidence/wanting to be a step ahead of everyone else. Though it being placed as the closing line of the chapter could indicate otherwise,. Suppose it will probably be clear next time they are in a chapter with Ozawa.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yui Kamio Lets Loose chapter 15
It's almost hilarious how hard this turned into a horror series. Like Ascheroth said, at least it's actually interesting now.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The Promised Neverland 139

That one demon ended up exactly like those hipster girls that keep potbelly pigs in their brooklyn apartments lol

Tokyo Shinobi Squad 04

Taiga really drew the short straw when it comes to tiger transformations compared to Atsushi; only his arms and legs get furrified.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
7933.jpg

Started reading Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku since the manga plus app makes it easy to do. Only a few chapters in but definitely one for the better hyper violent manga I've read in a while. The Island's setting and environment gives it a great body horror flavour on top of the OTT violence.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always recommend Bastard by Youngchan Hwang and Carnby Kim. I'd also throw in their current work, Sweet Home which is one of my current favorite ongoing pieces of fiction.
bastardwebcomicreview2.jpg

d7a68a536b9ebda5e14863ac4a20c94f.png

They're both very thrillery, with Bastard focusing on suspense and Sweet Home more on action and horror. They way the artist plays with the format of a scroll webcomic is just incredible. Bastard is also very short and Sweet Home only has like 70 chapters out, so it's not a massive time sink like some other webcomics. I don't want to talk at all about their stories as the first chapters of each are very easy to spoil but do a good job of setting up what they're about. They're both free on webtoon.

Started reading Bastard thanks to your recommendation, thanks! Only a few chapters in but what an introduction, I'm hooked

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 153

Being Hayasaka is (still and forever) suffering

Being Ishigami, on the other hand, is aight.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 153

Kaguya and Ishigami continue to have such a wholesome friendship between them. It's like the opposite of Prez and Subject F.

Also Ishigami looking fresh as fuck, I dare say. He cleans up nicely.

Iino on the other hand...

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 153

Poor Hayasaka, imagine to listen to Kaguya telling you all the details about the kisses with President... It must be a terrible pain
And in the meantime Ishigami wanting to protect Kaguya is such a good trait of his personality, their relationship if a true friendship (maybe)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5Toubun 91

Despite the quints not being in it much, I really liked this chapter as it shows how much Fuutarou has grown as a character. He actually has non quint friends now. Also he bought a "romance guide for high schoolers" book, lol.

Also, dear god, please give Miku dialogue that doesn't have her talking or thinking about Fuutarou.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dragonball Super 49
Dunno how I missed this when it first came out.

This was a good chapter, but not much really happened. At least it continues to prove that Toyo isn't rushing things for the time being.

I liked how Merus was utilized here. Dude was clearly out of his league, but its always nice to see weaker characters getting to look cool while assisting against stronger enemies in Dragonball.

That cliffhanger was mean. Just tell us what the wish is already, Moro, and don't you dare say immortality. We've already been through that song and dance with Zamasu, this series doesn't need to go there again.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing ONE just dive headfirst into straight up shonen territory with the One Punch Man webcomic is kind of disappointing. Another new evil organization out of nowhere and another ultimate villain? Eh I feel like this series is really overstaying its welcome. Its not even very funny anymore outside of King.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Seeing ONE just dive headfirst into straight up shonen territory with the One Punch Man webcomic is kind of disappointing. Another new evil organization out of nowhere and another ultimate villain? Eh I feel like this series is really overstaying its welcome. Its not even very funny anymore outside of King.
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be taking the ninjas and their big bad leader seriously at all though. They'll probably all get Saitama'd in a chapter or two and the series will move on to something else. Outside of the Monster Association and Garou, isn't that what it's always been?

And I still think it's plenty funny. Saitama's plan to rob Sonic got a chuckle out of me, as did his interactions with Flash.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I tried picking up where I left off in Dorohedoro but then I realized 2013 was like 28 years ago and I had no idea what the fuck was going on. So I'm rereading the whole thing and it's still great, if anything I have a better grasp of the setting and characters so it's easier to follow this time around. Surprised to learn how long it went on after I fell off it, since I'm pretty sure the author said it was ending back then.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The first Food Wars epilogue chapter is up on viz's shonen jump app and all I can say is "WHY THE FUCK WASN'T THIS JUST PART OF THE MAIN SERIES" -.-

The ending the series got was the kind of terrible ending I expect from shit canned 20 chapter series. One chapter of epilogue was light years better then the ending we actually got.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Just got through all 22 volumes of Dorohedoro only to find that there's one last volume coming out this September.
beli.png

Now reading Gantz and Holyland.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The first Food Wars epilogue chapter is up on viz's shonen jump app and all I can say is "WHY THE FUCK WASN'T THIS JUST PART OF THE MAIN SERIES" -.-

The ending the series got was the kind of terrible ending I expect from shit canned 20 chapter series. One chapter of epilogue was light years better then the ending we actually got.
I'm guessing they gave the mangaka a deadline until the series is pulled from the magazine whether they finish or not. And they can choose to do additional chapters in a side magazine if they want.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017

I was surprised when they did the half page title drop/END panels for chapter 315 instead of just moving into GIGA and saying that those three chapters will conclude the series. I guess they may have wanted to divide it that way to have an easy way to just skip the end of the blue haha.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black Clover 210

Okay, now we're just spinning the wheels. Little of worth actually happened this chapter. I'm legit going to be annoyed if we have to go one more chapter without Asta actually stabbing the villain.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Goku's SSJ transformation in the Dragonball manga really isn't as hype as they made it in the anime. I think that's the first 'moment' that I've come across throughout my entire read of the manga where I prefer the anime.

If it had even one more page dedicated to it, maybe it would have been fine. But he transforms in the span of only 4(!) panels. Toriyama spent more time on every one of Freeza's forms.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If that gets blocked completely, I will legit scream. Rebound and a second go at it--I'm sort of OK with but a shut down...fuck that after all the hype
The last time I got this hype on a cliffhanger was against the Nekoma. He didn't get block but the spike was anti-climactic. He did the play later in the chapter tho. I'm hoping it will be successful from the get go. I don't think I'll take a block from this. Anything but that.

Oct 26, 2017
The last time I got this hype on a cliffhanger was against the Nekoma. He didn't get block but the spike was anti-climactic. He did the play later in the chapter tho. I'm hoping it will be successful from the get go. I don't think I'll take a block from this. Anything but that.
Watch it end up being a freaking feint or a push instead of a badass quick

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Kimi wa 008 21-25:

We're getting to the point in manga that things are going to require longer "arcs" to get anything done. I liked the last five chapters but they weren't quite on the level as the first 20 because those were telling shorter stories.

Samurai 8:

More Nanashi please.

UQ Holder 152-161:

.....FUCK. Everytime I come back to this manga it reminds me why this is my favorite universe and manga. This is rapidly reaching the era of the Negi/Jack Rakan fight, where everything after that point was just non-stop awesome reveals and fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.