• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About SNK, I don't know. I'm liking the post time skip arc more than those before.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm honestly quite liking the latest chapters of Samurai 8.

It's been steadily improving imo, or at least it has more interesting characters and developments with a somewhat tighter focus. There's also the fact that we're not getting as much worldbuilding and lore in such a clunky way, and the things established before are settling.

I love the aesthetic of the manga and the designs (and I'm also finding the art less cluttered lately) and it's cool that Ann seems to have an actual stutter that's not caused by her being the "shy girl" archetype (like Hinata or Shiemi from Blue Exorcist) that I usually really hate.

The potential in this universe is quite big in terms of adventures and new characters, so I'm legitimately excited tbh.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I've become completely bored with Samurai 8. May just end up letting the chapters build up or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Samurai 8 but it is clearly designed to be a slow beginning and easing people into the world. Lots of stuff being set up before we enter whatever the core crux of the series will be. I'm sure something big will happen but probably better to wait until that happens to see how it pans out.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chainsawman is the best thing in a long time. I like pretty much every character for different reasons. It always has stuff I want to find out about, like what on earth Makimais capable of and how she didn't die. I like the new teacher, too. The way they answered was priceless and something you barely see anywhere else. Same with how Denji handled the last Devil in that hotel. Just good stuff all around.

Oct 26, 2017
Haikyuu

Hinata managing the jump but not by miraculously pulling it off multiple times but rather seeing the bigger picture really shows the maturity of how he sees the game, court, himself and the players. Love all the nods to the previous teams/coachs' reaction to the game (would've loved to Oikawa's reaction to that setup and spike)

Looks like they're setting it up so Yamaguchi is gonna take it for the 2nd set.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
That One Punch Man 111 cover is why I can't wait for more manga writers to embrace the internet/digital formats.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Caught up to Hell's Paradise. Glad Viz is releasing the volumes next year.
Chainsawman is the best thing in a long time. I like pretty much every character for different reasons. It always has stuff I want to find out about, like what on earth Makimais capable of and how she didn't die. I like the new teacher, too. The way they answered was priceless and something you barely see anywhere else. Same with how Denji handled the last Devil in that hotel. Just good stuff all around.
It's pretty good. Though tfw hardly anyone is talking about his former assistant's series, which is even better. :p

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Samurai 8 have improved a lot (better art and paced)
But the protagonist is so bad, is like having the worse of kid Naruto and boruto combine x5

Chainsawman and promised Neverland are the Goat Manga right now (even Dr stone is losing interest on me)

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Chainsawman is so good and so fresh. It's my favorite Jump manga in, like, a decade. It needs to be celebrated and protected.

Promised Neverland is super weird for going into an endgame and quantum dimensional stuff so quickly. It kinda turned me off.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea going in I thought the reception to Chainsaw Man was a little too much, but after catching up I get the love. I look forward to it every week.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't get the love for chainsaw man from some people here. Like it's okay but it mostly gets by on shock value without having any interesting narrative, action, or characters to back it up.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the love for chainsaw man from some people here. Like it's okay but it mostly gets by on shock value without having any interesting narrative, action, or characters to back it up.

I imagine when it comes to a manga especially when it releases chapters every week having shock value and suspense helps a lot.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even bring myself to try chainsaw man. Everything about it looks unappealing, from the art to the edginess. If people start raving about it I'll give it a go, otherwise nah.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
I can't even bring myself to try chainsaw man. Everything about it looks unappealing, from the art to the edginess. If people start raving about it I'll give it a go, otherwise nah.
I doubt I'll ever read any more of the author's work. I enjoyed Fire Punch, but I think I'm done thanks to that. I don't really want to read more of his writing style.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Finally got the rest of the Devilman G volumes. Itching to see how it ends because this is so far the most different incarnation of the devilman story.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
In the past I read the first chapters of Chainsawman and I wasn't impressed, neither by the story nor by the setting, since there are so many positive reviews here maybe I will try it again in the future.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
In the past I read the first chapters of Chainsawman and I wasn't impressed, neither by the story nor by the setting, since there are so many positive reviews here maybe I will try it again in the future.

Don't get baited, the tone hasn't changed, if you didn't like those first few chapters you probably won't enjoy the current stuff

June 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
June 2019 Recommendation: Blank Canvas: My So-Called Artist's Journey

The Japanese name of the series is Kakukaku Shikajika.

gssLY2I.jpg

Autobiographical josei | 5 volumes, complete, licensed in English
High schooler Akiko has big plans to become a popular mangaka before she even graduates, but she needs to get much better at drawing if she ever wants to reach her goal. Looking for an easy fix, she signs up for an art class, thinking all her problems will soon be solved. She's in for a surprise: her new instructor is a bamboo sword-wielding taskmaster who doesn't care about manga one bit. But maybe this unconventional art teacher is just what she needs to realize her dreams! (source)

From striferser:
This is a story about youth, regret, hard work and more importantly it's about human relationship. I guess the author want to put her regret into an art. Maybe she want to tell the reader to cherish the thing you have. Maybe she really want to say sorry. Maybe this is her way to have her teacher live forever. I don't know. But i appreciate her effort in sharing this. (source)

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Chainsaw Man 29

It's weird to read a story in SJ that is this comfortable with killing off main characters without making a grand gesture. I guess it shouldn't be surprising when the you take the mangaka's previous work into consideration.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Chainsaw Man 29

It's weird to read a story in SJ that is this comfortable with killing off main characters without making a grand gesture. I guess it shouldn't be surprising when the you take the mangaka's previous work into consideration.
Though I imagine not many have done so within the first 30 chapters, so it makes sense that one would handle things differently.
Yeah, probably at least get the Geto villain turn or set up for that. Timing is offbeat since it comes after they set up a main trio mission that Gojo doesn't appear to be involved in (yet anyways) so it may be a while before we get a Gojo/Geto meeting though I guess we will see.
Ok, now we see why, heh.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Dr Stone 112

Senku went about this all backwards. First you gotta create a billion dollar movie industry that's proped up by superhero movies, then you gotta create the internet to leak on-set photos of the actors in their dumb costumes, then you create a drone to take said on-set photos

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Shounen Jump Issue 32:
Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
Dr. Stone
One Piece
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland
Samurai 8 (CP)
We Never Learn
My Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou
Act-Age
Spy×Family (CP, Special Chapter)
Chainsaw-man (CP)
Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Haikyuu!!
Jujutsu Kaisen
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Double Taisei (first ranking)
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Beast Children
The Last Saiyiko

Beast Children isn't ranked yet... but it's already rocking the bottom of the magazine which isn't a good sign

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That special chapter of Spy x Family was adorable as usual.

Best fake family ever. Anya starting to weaponize Yoru's protectiveness of her is fantastic.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
You think he can tho?
Well I don't think there are any others that can reasonably do this unless Tanjiro is supposed to assist in this one too. I'm guessing Wind pillar and his brother are going to get in a scrap with the new pillar #5, so there isn't anyone else that fits the bill. Mist will probably get saved and he can play support since he's down an arm.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Decided to hop on that Viz subscription since it's only like $24 a year. Haven't read any manga in a year, maybe more. Decided to give The Promised Neverland a read and it's fantastic so far. I'm at Ch.24 now and I can't wait to see if they can pull this off.

Edit: Up to Ch.48 now and this is so damn fascinating. I didn't expect any of these revelations. All of this is so well done.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Harukaze no Etranger 15
ecls4f6.jpg

After 15 months, we finally get a new chapter...and it's going on hiatus again...
So yes, I had to basically re-read the last two volumes before jumping into this, as is tradition any time a new chapter of a Kii Kanna manga comes out

Since the 5 year time skip, the series has very firmly been more about Fumi, who is now 13 and very hormonal/rebellious, than it is about Shun and Mio. They are still living together with Shun's parents, but Shun is now a 32 year old NEET, while Mio is not only working all day as a mechanic, but is doing all the cooking/chores/shopping etc. The big plot this chapter with Shun and Mio is that Mio wants to have their first date night in a while... and then they realize that there isn't anything they actually want to do. Very relateable!

We are also continuing with Fumi encountering Sakurako at random times, who was Shun's fiance he left at the alter when he decided he couldn't continue lying. It's leading to more and more resentment between Fumi and Shun, as Fumi is now completely bewildered as to why his brother would have abandoned her, and it gives us the reader more time with Sakurako, who is a significantly more interesting female character than you usually get in BL manga.

Can't wait for more, and with time skips and how long the series goes on hiatus, I weirdly feel like i'm Aging with the characters...

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Has there ever been a more disappointing final boss than the Demon King in SDS, the man is a literal jobber at this point

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yui Kamio - I still can't get over how this was a comedy series less than two months ago, but now we have a title page full of creepy dolls. Well, now that... that guy is coming to Yui's rescue, we'll see if this new formula will actually be any good beyond the initial shock value.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad - Jeez, the anime ages are crazy here. It turns out the fanservicey older woman who retired from her modeling career is... 19.

Beast Children - This is pretty alright.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Seven Deadly Sins 318
Yeah I'm sorry but the Demon King is not a good final boss. For what it was worth, Yhwach never seemed like a jobber but the Demon King is getting humiliated every chapter. All his subordinates felt more threatening than him and that is kinda sad. Just end this. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.